Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
RockyTopHeel

Pours a golden yellow with a short, white head of dense bubbles. Aroma of herbs (go figure), hops, and farmhouse funk.

The herbs really come through in the mouth, particularly the rosemary and sage. Surprisingly bitter and instantly paralyzing to the tongue, but not in a bad way - I can't taste anything else. It's ok, though, because this is creative and enjoyable.

08-26-2010 22:53:05 | More by RockyTopHeel
Khazadum

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Big thanks go out to Adam from Lincoln Park Binny's. This guy is probably one of my favorite beer guys and always a pleasure to chat up. My first trip into his store he showed me everything new and personally gave my girlfriend and I a tour. That was how I was lucky enough to snag two bottles of this from the shelves. Twelve ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter.

Vision
Fantastic two fingers of pristine white head developed easily. It lost about half of its volume but has steadily maintained that level for minutes now. There is a huge amount of carbonation erupting from the bottom of this glass keeping the bubble population at a constant number. Its all tightly packed and quite fun to look at.

The dimly lit apartment lends a mystery to the color of this beverage. It would appear to be movie theatre popcorn, that not quite yellow liquid, but upon direct illumination I'd say it is the yellow of a sunset.

Bouquet
Did these brewers stumble upon my homemade spice container? I can't believe how similar and fantastic it smells. The rosemary comes through without any hinderance. In fact, I would say that is the dominant player in this olfactory recipe. Mingled in almost equal strength follows the thyme.

It takes a few efforts to find the sage, but it definitely is there. I had to breathe through my mouth to pull in that particular herb. Unfortunately, I could find no sign of the parsley. It might just be too mingled within the pungent mixture, but it does not make itself known to me.

Flavor Profile
It is interesting. I think that this might be the turning point in this beer's enjoyment. Initially, the flavors are jumbled together in a distracting mess. Its all confused and before I know it they run off leaving me with what I hope is the hops.

Lets try and sift through all of this. What can only be the Rosemary, of course, dominates the front of the flavors. It overwhelms the sage, but through many sips, no other flavor brings themselves to my notice.

The finish is heavily hopped. It feels like I'm drinking a double IPA with the amount of bitterness I feel/taste right in the center of my tongue. This could be the overwhelming 'italian' spices coming through, but I doubt it. Either way, I feel like this beer has a style crisis going on.

Oral Sensations
This is overly carbonated to the extreme on sipping. I can't help but be distracted by the fizzy nature of the liquid around my tongue and mouth. It is watery, but that is not any fault on this beer.

Conclusions
If you love hops, this is an easy drinker. The 6.8% does not rear its head at all throughout the entire experience. What is an issue is the overwhelming rosemary with no saison balancing.

What I come to expect from a saison is no where to be found here to help this. Its almost as if someone took carbonated water and added spices and hop juice to it. Great to smell and look at, but average everywhere else.

08-26-2010 02:07:39 | More by Khazadum
TheHoppiest

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a hazy yellow with a brilliant white head.

Has a very fragrant smell like white pine boughs, some slight spiciness and fruit, with a hint of pepper and tobacco.

Taster is quite sharp, somewhat carbonated, and spicy. There is an herby flavor tempered with a slight lemon taste.

This has a crisp mouthfeel which, if less sharp, would be perfect for a hot summer day.

Fairly drinkable, but more intense than other farmhouse ales I've quaffed. However, as a limited run beer, its drinkability doesn't matter much, because I doubt I'll ever find it again.

08-26-2010 00:37:40 | More by TheHoppiest
shivtim

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Hazy straw colored, with heavy visible carbonation. Huge fluffy white head.
Nose is yeasty, sweet, and herb-filled. You can make out the rosemary, but it's mostly just smells "green" or like plants. Slight spicy hints, like white pepper.

Taste is too heavy on the herbs - it smacks you up front with strong sage and rosemary. Pizza-esque. Some lingering hops, maybe? No real saison qualities.

Decent mouthfeel and drinkability. Interesting beer, but it doesn't quite come together. Too much of a mish-mash of spices.

08-24-2010 23:35:16 | More by shivtim
John_M

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at Belmont station the other day.

The beer pours a slightly hazy gold color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is impressive and spice filled, showing considerable honey, clove, sage and rosemary. While the flavor profile generally replicates the nose, on tap I found the spices to be a bit over the top. There just wasn't enough sweet honey and clove flavors to handle the amount of spice I encountered in this beer. Mouthfeel was medium bodied to full, with a long, moderately sweet, spice filled finish. Drinkability wasn't too bad, but again, the amount of spice in this beer really wore on me after a while. I just thought it a bit too prominent and dominant in this otherwise interesting, well made beer.

08-24-2010 13:30:21 | More by John_M
Brooke1

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Great Summer beer! Crisp and carbonated with lots of zest.The bubbly beer is what I call it. With lots of carbonation which is great on a hot day. I could definitely taste layers of herbs.Rosemary beginning followed by hints of parsley and thyme. Overall a nice beer to enjoy on a hot summer day!

08-24-2010 02:02:39 | More by Brooke1
cbutova

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Golden straw yellow with a big fluffy white cap, characteristic of a Saison. Retention is good and a lot of lace sticks to the glass.

S- Lots of rosemary and thyme up front. Some malt backbone but this one is pretty one dimensional, herbs and spice. Parsley is pretty big.

T- More balanced than the nose. Pretty much the big spice bomb mentioned above with a decent amount of light malt and some spicy hops. Citrus does a good job rounding it all off. The estery Saison yeast notes are also in the backdrop.

MF- Light body with carbonation on the smooth, lower end. More toward the watery end of this. Slightly bitter.

DB- Yes this is sort of unbalanced. Yes it tastes like a spice rack. That is the point of the beer... With that in mind, I judge it to be that way and it does a pretty good job. It isn't offensive. The rosemary and thyme notes are fulfilling and fresh.

08-24-2010 01:57:33 | More by cbutova
Beeryce

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Nice head retention and laceing. Clear, pale straw yellow and abundant carbonation.

Nice herbal and sweet floral aroamas.

Light but full taste of herbs, earthy yeast and oily herbal finish.

Nice crisp mouthfeel.

A good summer beer, just not a fan of the style.

08-24-2010 01:18:32 | More by Beeryce
philbe311

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Three fingers worthy of big chunky fluffy eggshell white colored head with a mildly rocky top... Bursting with speedy carbonation... An over so slightly hazed pale golden color... Loads of lacing cling to the glass...

S - A virtual plethora of dried green spices... Rosemary... Sage... Basil... While the spices are dominate, they are not over powering... To a lesser extent there are notes of fresh cut grass and yeast... Rather pleasant...

T - A rather unique canvas of flavors... The spcies are evident, but slightly muddled... Lemon zest... Notes of sweet citrus... A touch of bitter hops... Yeasty... Pepper... A hint of soapiness on teh finish...

M - The fluffy head greats the lips... Light to medium bodied... Delicate... Slightly fizzy... A mild biter finish lingers...

D - A unique take on the Saison style... Friendly and inviting... Unique and worthy of a try, though I'm note sure I would ever indulge in this on a regular basis...

08-24-2010 00:53:12 | More by philbe311
froghop

Washington

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

pours a clear yellow with a medium size white head, above average carbonation, and some lacing.

smell is of citrus, spice, some malt, a little yeast, and rosemary.

taste is somewhat tart, yeast, malt, a little sweetness in the back, grass, some crisp citrus, and spice.

08-22-2010 16:44:28 | More by froghop
argock

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Served on-tap in a clear 10oz goblet at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Hazy gold with tightly bubbled, nearly 1-finger, white head with exceptional retention and lacing.

S: Bandaid and herbal aromas are most present with tart yeast and hops and pale malts

T: Herbs predominate the early flavor but are squashed by a wild tartness and lighter medicinal flavors. Pale malts provide some mild sweetness to deal some balance. There is very little of the citrus that works so nicely in this style.

M: Medium-full mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation that leaves a sticky, coating feel. Medicinal, herbal aftertaste.

D: The tart-herbal combination is interesting but this is a pretty atypical saison.

08-22-2010 01:02:08 | More by argock
BeerNemesis

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Saison Du BUFF | volume 350 ml. | 6.8% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Stone Brewing Co. (in collaboration with DFH and Victory)
Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale
Glass: Oversized wine glass

Presentation:
Silk-screened bottle with a hand-drawn feel.

BUFF ('bəf) n.
Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor. A clandestine organization committed to liberating collective taste buds, citing the dastardly and/or oppressive reign of so called 'fizzy yellow beer.'

Note from DFH:
"It's a saison of sorts; hellaciously herbacious and hopefully contagious. This wan not a ready made ale. But it is a ready made collaboration. Meaning Stone & Victory are 2 breweries that are exactly like Dogfish in that they do/brew exactly what they love and they do/brew it exactly like no other brewery out there. (♥ -- lots of it in this bottle)"

Appearance:
BUFF glows an opaque golden orange, pulsing and pure beneath it's an angelic crown of white froth. Head of 1", with a generous spattering of lacing along the sides.

Aroma:
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Intense, herbal, and fresh -- like right off the sickle fresh.

Taste:
I love how the taste and aroma mesh so seemlessly. Am I smelling or drinking? Sometimes it's hard to tell. It has a fresh, herbal taste, and a decidedly medicinal finish -- vivacious, not biting. It's hard-edged, bitter characteristics will cut through the most greasy food. Probably excellent with Indian food: raan, samosa chaat, and the like.

Mouthfeel:
Light to medium-bodied, surprisingly smooth and crispy.

Harmony:
A friendly drink that foregoes calculating precision for a loveably slap-shot medley of herbal flavours. I can't help but like it.

Would I get it again?:
Absolutely... too bad it's a one-off.

08-21-2010 23:35:47 | More by BeerNemesis
dtivp

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a golden yellow with a fluffy white head.
Aroma of citurs and spice.
Taste of citrus grapefruit and lemon with a grassy hops and some spice.
Light body beer with moderate carbonation.
This collaborative beer is a nice Saison, very light and drinkable. Just not my style of beer that I enjoy.

08-21-2010 16:34:27 | More by dtivp
dzni

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Golden, nice head
N - Cucumber, basil, peaches, grapefruit - fairly complex, very interesting
T - More herby basil flavor, citrus, with crisp/refreshing flavor, nice hops balancing it out
M - Medium bodied, slightly hoppy
D - Very drinkable with alcohol at a reasonable % and quite interesting

08-21-2010 00:41:33 | More by dzni
StephenRich

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

A classic Belgian Saison is a combination of light pale malts, fruity, citrus and spicy flavors with a quenching, sometimes tart mouthfeel. While spice is meant to play a potent role in this beer along with moderate hops, herbs are not supposed to. Theres that word again - supposed. Who really cares what the beer is supposed to taste like? Isn't real and delicious flavor the real goal? And who cares how that goal is reached! Greg, Bill and Sam of Stone, Victory and Dogfish Head are the perfect trio to answer these questions, and they did with flying colors!

This saison is literally brewed with bags of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Wheat malts were also added to give this beer a delicate, floral and effervescent feeling. Also, a newer hop variety, citra, was used to add a crisp citrus and slightly earthy character to the beer. This tasting was my first bottle, which was graciously sent to me by Stone (thanks guys!), but I am going to have to hunt for more, because I am still reeling with the feeling from enjoying this amazing creation. Well done guys!

Normally, I would open a big spicy saison around cellar temperature, but knowing that this bottle is from Stone, I did anticipate a reasonable dose of quenching hops, and wanted to enjoy the crisp refreshment that I was sure it would offer me. I opened the BUFF at a cool 8C (45F) and poured it into a Dogfish Head snifter. The pour was soft and delicate forming rich carbonation in the bottom of the beer as waves of clean golden saison rushed in to build a terrificly sturdy two inch white head. It was pillowy with precise carbonation and a great cloud like appearance. The beer itself was a slightly hazy, but overall was a transparent golden yellow showing light streaks of rich straw, bright orange and glimmering copper.

This glass was a beauty to behold - I snapped several shots as fast as I could in excitement, then held the beer into the light to admire it. It has been a while since a golden beer astounded me with a rich color like this and a luscious head. As exciting as it looked, the nose broke open the shackles and out poured hugely complex streams of aromas.

Sweet pale malts and fresh wheat first float easily into my nose showing a bright and clean beer. Quickly though, huge waves of herbs, floral hops, and citrus jump right in. The fresh grassy aromas of sage, earthy and gentle thyme and parsley, and the aromatic oils of rosemary bring me to a world of flavor which I have only previously encountered in food - and never to this sort of refreshment. Gentle hop bitterness glides in showing the clear path of the citra hop with juicy citrus notes, a light floral funk and added touches of sweet lemon. Hints of ripe fruits make their way in the back and play with fresh spice and wheat.

A superbly impressive nose got me very excited for the beer itself, and I could not wait any longer. I dove in and was richly rewarded with a smooth and creamy, yet effervescent beer showing the perfect combination and balance of sweet, savory, bitter, herb, spice, fruit and tart. The pale malts bring crisp sweet favors onto your tongue initially showing hints of banana and lemon peel. Soft wheat comes in with it showing light vanilla and fresh hay fields. This malt fresh sweetness is but a brief introduction to this beer, because in less than a blink your palate is opened to the freedom of flavor.

In comes hugely aromatic and clean waves of herbs, spice and hops. They intertwine in a lively state of victory. The sage is very grassy and fresh and pairs perfectly with the crisp, citrus and slightly minty flavors of the citra hop. Bright fresh lemon sweet flavors dance on my tongue, as rosemary brings a deep oily herbal flavor into my cheeks, while parsley and thyme balance the beer with earth, light funk and freshness. Spice is blended into every aspect of this beer, and the addition of the wheat malts helps it elegantly enhance each flavor with mellow vanilla and a clean, bright freshness.

In the back I am still reaching to find all the complex layers of flavor here. The herbs are perfectly distinct, and with the hop varieties adding a delicious fresh pine, and slightly minty character to the beer. This is really perfectly quenching. The mouthfeel is rewardingly calm with precise carbonation and a smooth crisp finish. It shows light spice, fresh herbs (mostly the sage), and again the sweet, and lightly tart flavors of lemon peel at the end. I want more of it - theres no other way around it. I want more! I can guarantee you have never had a beer like this before.

I can also guarantee that this beer would pair so perfectly with a huge range of foods! I'm thinking herb lasagna, pesto, roast turkey, beef or chicken. Even hamburgers, fish and chips, chili or pizza would be an amazing accompaniment for this unique and exciting beer. I am very excited to see what the next two versions will produce!

08-20-2010 15:27:50 | More by StephenRich
JamnesCameron

4.53/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured into a MJ, The Beer Hunter, tasting glass.

Pours a pale golden hue with a thick white fluffy head. The head stands up over time and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

Aromas of lemon (thyme?), rosemary, and yeast. Not as in your face with the herbs as I was expecting.

Has that saison peppery bite, with lemon and rosemary undertones. Again, not as over the top with the herbs as I was expecting. The herbs are in a very nice balance.

Mouthfeel is thin, but not watery. A very dry beer, as it should be. Leaves a little "pucker" effect at the end of the taste.

Drinkability is high. I think I could drink this all night and not get palate fatigue from the herbs. Done very nicely. Worth replicating at home, since I have a nice supply of fresh rosemary in the garden.

08-20-2010 01:44:26 | More by JamnesCameron
GOGRANDE

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +22.2%

A: cloudy golden yellow with fluffy white head

S: lemon, black pepper, rosemary

T: I taste everything that I mentioned in the smell. In addition I get a pinch of sweet honey and a nice mild grassy hop character. This beer has a great balance in flavors.

M: real nice for a saison. Very smooth and crisp.

D: I would love to have a few of these on a nice summer day. Great beer.

Thoughts: The brewmasters all did a great job on this. I love all the flavors and their balance is incredible.

08-19-2010 19:14:21 | More by GOGRANDE
pmlondrigan

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Big up to Axic10 on this one. Pours golden wheat color with a billowing rocky white head and a little lacing left around the glass. The aroma is pretty wild with definite notes of rosemary and sage, as well as nice wafty yeasty notes. Flavor is well, what you would expect very herbacious, peppery, and a good bit hoppy for a saison. Not too much yeast driven flavor hear, well on second try there is a little. It is dry however which is nice. For what it is it drinks well. Very glad to have tried this beer. I think I will revisit this one before summer is out, on a hot as day with thai food.

08-18-2010 03:46:14 | More by pmlondrigan
fear025

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL.

Aroma:This beer smells kind of like the soap my grandma keeps in the bathroom, floral and spicy.

Appearance:This beer is hay colored, with a fantastic head.

Taste:There is a whirlwind of spices in this beer. Black pepper, lavender, coriander, clove, orange peel, parsley, sage, rosemary and time.

Mouthfeel:Light mouthfeel, with good carbonation.

Drinkability:This beer pushes the limit of spices that are included in a saison. With all of these spices, I bet this would be a great beer to make beer can chicken with.

08-15-2010 05:18:41 | More by fear025
SFLpunk

Vermont

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle.

Pours a clear golden yellow with lots of billowing fluffy white head that stands up tall for a while and sheets down the glass. Aromas are dominated by the rosemary but as it warms the dusty, dirty sage starts to take over. Some peppery Belgian yeastiness too. Palate is crisp with lots of spicy alcohol and some faint dusty hop bitterness. The flavors are mostly sage and rosemary, but it's all balanced and in check. Some body, the prickly alcohol and the bitter hops keep this from being a "spiced" beer in a bad way. Herbal and refreshing.

**If you don't like rosemary, this is not for you.**

08-14-2010 03:50:40 | More by SFLpunk
BogusOwnz

4.28/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a bottle from DFH into my Sam Adams perfect beer glass

A - Very light looks like your typical saison

S - Very fruity and sweet with what I want to say is a spruce like smell but it is probably just the herb blend. I was expecting parsley but I get none.

T - This tastes nothing like it smells. At first it's typical saison clove but then the herbs take over as well as spruce (I'm on the spruce thing I know) this is a very unique taste and about 30 seconds after each sip you get Rosemary lingering on your tounge. Just very herbal and crisp.

MF - very light crisp and good carb nothing out of the ordinary for the style.

D - This is a very cool beer unlike anything Ive had. I couldn't have more then one or two not because of the taste but because you would be unable to appreciate it after one or two. I would like to see this become a seasonal beer. I picked a few bottles of the Dogfish Head and the Stone versions, I have yet to come by the Victory but will pick up if I see it.

08-14-2010 02:06:11 | More by BogusOwnz
claspada

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Beer pours a copper yellow with just a touch of haze. Above average amount of bubbles rising to the top.

Smells like a "spicy" saison, which is good or bad depending on your tastes. Spices, herbs, malts and slight yeast notes.

This is really different, but almost in a good way. Starts out like a traditional saison,then it's followed by an aftertaste of a bouquet of herbs. Crazy herby tastes finish the beer but not like you would expect; it def still tastes like a saison. The PERFECT accompaniment to drink/enjoy with food. Traditional Dogfishhead lack of carbonation; also due to the higher ABV for the style.
While I really enjoyed this and all it's interesting and different tastes, 12oz is just enough for me. Could never have more than one, but it is good enough that you need a whole 12 oz to completely enjoy/appreciated this beer. Good collaboration, but let's not start mass producing this gents...

08-13-2010 23:13:13 | More by claspada
bohemiandonut

Very happy to find this at Par Liquor of all places.

Appearance is good yeah yeah whatever looks nice velvety white head champagne body.
Heaven on the nose, seriously amazing. Spice is not annoying or overwhelming, rather a subtle complement to wafts of barnyard funk and lemon flower.
At first I was disappointed in the smell of BUFF, but after the first taste I could not be more pleased. Peppery, grassy, otherworldly. Is that leather I'm tasting? GOD I HOPE SO.
This drink is as refreshing as a dry dusty walk through San Diego's most seasoned chaparral. You know that feeling on a walk when an herbal scent jumps out at you? A fruiting sage perhaps but probably some gaseous blend of unknown native herbs? Well this Saison has that feeling "in spades." I don't even know what "in spades" means but who am I to never use the phrase.

Simply an A+ on all counts. The taste rolls on for ages and this scent will haunt me until... tomorrow when I get more. This is not your grandfather's Saison. As far as improving on Dupont I have no comment, but this is an incredible concoction that I could not ask more from. Good work, boys.

08-13-2010 06:47:53 | More by bohemiandonut
hustlesworth

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

now must be the time when i make the simon and garfunkel reference.

A- lightly hazy golden lemony yellow with an absolutely stunning white head. i mean magnificent. and the lace as well. it just sticks everywhere in spots and swirls after the foam takes its sweet time settling down.

S- sprucey rosemary is up front right along with that astringent rubbery saison hop aroma. even some pungent fresh green walnut husk sage is in there but sadly no thyme which is my favorite herb of all thyme.. i wanna say that i can detect parsley's freshness but i doubt it. sage and rosemary make up the nose. some yeast funky stuff, earthy and melon, mildly floral, and i guess it would be silly to say this beer smells herbal. hops smell warm and almost meaty. *edit: some thyme comes out as the brew warms but it's more like dried as opposed to fresh, which i hope was used.

T- interesting mix of rosemary and sage with savory thyme flavor way in the back. these are all common herbs round these parts and i grow all four and am very familiar with each and i wonder, with resinous rosemary and pungent funky sage, the sublime earthy minty and fragrant qualities of thyme exist as merely a vapor when i exhale even as mild mannered parsley is detected in the finish. i need more thyme! i've got half a mind to go out to the garden right now and pick a sprig and drop it in the beer. BUT that would be no better than adding a splash of OJ to a witbier. sharply bitter from start to finish with tuned down malt sweetness and yeasty flavors and a dash of band aid. herbs and hops play very nicely together until they all drop off long into the finish leaving some biscuity malt behind.

MF- moderately carbonated with tight persistent bubbles, the body is light and juicy enough to be a real refresher except for the almost seven freakin percent alcohol! the farmers who drank this to quench their thirst on a hot day must have had crooked plow lines and daily siestas. band-aidy and rubbery as all good saisons are to me and leaves the cheeks with the same feel.

D- saison to me is a strange style with all its odd characteristics and i think i would like it much more if the hops weren't so acrid and astringent. the herbal additions are cool but also novelty and i would probably give a no thanks if another one were offered to me. better to give it to someone who hasn't yet had a chance to try this rare, however ridiculous, offering.

08-12-2010 19:39:57 | More by hustlesworth
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

Bottle: Poured a dark golden color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of primarily sage with a sweet malt base with candy-like feature which surprisingly works well together. Taste is also a very unique mix between a sweet malt base with candy and soap notes and a distinctive sage finish with other spices also coming through. Body is quite light for style but seems perfect in this case as it makes this a very refreshing drink. A lot better then I had anticipated and something I would seek again for sure.

08-12-2010 17:57:32 | More by Phyl21ca
Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.