Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Saison Du BUFF | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846

Added by Todd on 05-05-2010

Reviews: 539 | Ratings: 1,297

Bought at Whole Food Market Pasadena (Arroyo Parkway), Calif.

Poured a golden yellow color into a tulip glass. Small head with a decent carbonation. Big smell of mints and herbs hits the nose. Almost "herb-like", mon. The taste of herbs and a light mint flavor on first sip. Mouthfeel of different herbs and light spices. The drinkability is interesting with different flavors staying on the tastebuds. A saison beer from three craft breweries definitely makes this an interesting beer. Ran out of beer just trying to figure out the taste. Should have bought another bottle.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz bottle poured into my Holy Mackeral glass

A-Deep cloudy straw yellow with a nice two finger thick head that settles into a solid perimeter ring with islands of bubbles on top.

S-Really a great smelling brew. Lots of spices (probably those listed on the bottle), lemon zest, yeast, bread, and dough.

T-Lots of breadiness with mixed spiciness. Some lemon and citrus zest along with fruitiness from the hops. Finishes semi-dry with a lingering hop bitterness. A little more hoppy than the typical saison - I would say it is an Americanized version of the style.

M-Carbonation is on the high side - quite prickly. Light and spritzy. Finish is semi-drying.

D-Quite good. I am enjoying this in the heat of the summer. Very thirst quenching. Hope to find some more of it. Again, not strictly traditional, but a solid brew.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this out of it's 12oz. bottle. I saw that Stone and others collaborated to brew a saison, I had to give this a try...How can Stone make a saison that is not over-hopped? Well you just add herbs obviously.
A:Nice golden body, poured with a quickly dissipating head
S: very grassy, perfumy, and slightly funky-like grandma.
T: Bitter and saison-y all at the same time. I am very confused, and I like it. This is not a traditional saison, but the practices in making the beer are non-traditional to begin with so... the use of herbs replacing the hops, just like in the old days, but this is intensly different than I thought it might have been back in the good ol' days. but nice all at the same time.
M: Dry, good metabolized nmalt profile.
O: Again, this is not a standard saison, but it is a good beer. Draw the line where you will. I like the beer, therefore I will give it a good score, but it is definetly one-off of a true saison.

Sage rocks. I almost want to have this with cast ironed-skilleted pork chops with apples and sage.

2.52/5  rDev -34.4%

A: Golden with a nice white head, not cloudy in any way.

S:Very herbal with spicy pepper undertones. Almost like a really good herbal crusty bread at times. I spent a lot of time sniffing before I tasted as this smell is like no other beer.

T:Starts a little spicy, and then the herbs take over. Too overpowering, covering up the flavors of this brew.

M:thin to moderate mouthfeel. Pretty high in carbonation.

D: The herbs make this beer very undrinkable to me.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a golden straw yellow with a small white head that faded fairly quickly, although my pour was a very moderate one. There is minimal lacing

S - The smell is of hops as you would expect some Stone made or at least had a part in making. There is also that barnyard saison smell along with the herbs that are described in this beer. Although I could not really smell them individually they did make a pleasant nose together.

T - Taste is slightly hoppy on the front end with some light saison character in the middle and a strong finish of herb/spices. The taste and smell go hand in hand. The taste is pleasant overall but I times flavors can be out of balance and the herbs can be a little overpowering

M - Mouthfeel is good. I enjoyed the way this beer felt in my mouth as I drank it. Its light as you would expect and has the right amount of carbonation, along with some nice residue renaming in my mouth after taking a sip.

D - Drinkability is good and because this beer feels so light it is very easy to drink quickly. Although I think after a while a spices and herbs could become a bit overwhelming and keep me from drinking more.

Overall an interesting saison. I enjoyed the herbs but I felt that they could be a bit overwhelming at times. I had it with a BBQ chicken dinner and I though it went well but I am glad a split a glass because I feel this beer may be a bit unbalanced. An interesting and good saison interpretation from Stone DFH and Victory.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this on tap, poured dark yellow unfiltered into my glass.

The smell was hardly there. I really tried hard to find anything from this beer i was used to within the style. I ended up smelling some light hints of lemon.

However the taste was awesome. Hops with herb blended citrus makes this a Saison i could see always wanting if it wasn't so limited. The spiced herbs hit the pallet first with a large hop punch leaving a after taste of rosemary, citrus and hops.

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Poured into a perfect pint. Head came up two fingers, fluffy, and quickly fell to a thin head holding at the edges. Color varied depending on where in the glass: piss-like at the bottom and orange-tinged at the top. Translucent at the bottom but not the top.

S: Strong floral hop notes. No noticeable hop presence.

T: Grassy. Citrus, perhaps orange.

M: Medium and creamy.

D: This has a kick-in-the-head hoppiness. For me, it isn't drinkable, but for hop-heads, I would think it would be a bit much too.

O: Not my cup of tea at all- I tried it because it was a one-off collaboration. Seems to be a pretty good beer for the style; it's like eating cardamoms to me though. So not something I'd buy again.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.
a: slight orange straw colored. thick fluffy head with nice lacing and plenty of carbonation.
s: It smells very belgiany. The aroma of yeast and spices are most noticeable
t: The herbs used in the brew, parsley sage rosemary and thyme are definatley noticeable but not overpowering. They are very pleasant. It seems these herbs are used the same way hops would be used to impart flavor. Very different.
m: Thin, dry and highly carbonated.
d: Although I really enjoy this beer I doubt I would be able to drink more than 1 or 2 of these in a sitting.

2.74/5  rDev -28.6%

Certainly a unique beer.

Pours a light golden color, puffy white head that laces well.

Aroma is intensely herbal, which follows through into the flavor. Hints of hops, malt, barnyard, but a bit overwhelmed by the herbal aromatics.

Taste is dominated by the aromatics, sage, thyme, pepper.

From the fridge and poured into my blown flute stone IPA glass. Chilled from 40f warmed to 55f in a room temperater ware.

12 ounce bottle.
A - hazy orange with a big foamy head.
S - smells like fresh earthy herbs. Piney.
T - Great spicey notes with some hop character that just hits the nose. Gotta' love it.
M - light and fizzy.
D - very drinkable. Such a great summer beer.

Shared with the wife after work on a Saturday night.

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Golden, nice head
N - Cucumber, basil, peaches, grapefruit - fairly complex, very interesting
T - More herby basil flavor, citrus, with crisp/refreshing flavor, nice hops balancing it out
M - Medium bodied, slightly hoppy
D - Very drinkable with alcohol at a reasonable % and quite interesting

2.6/5  rDev -32.3%

Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme... and it definately comes through in the mouthfeel. The bouquet clearly transcends all of those herbs, and this is a very pretty beer, but I wasn't looking for a girlfriend.

Hey, I like all of those herbs, even grow them in my garden, but just didn't like the way it came through in the brew. The effort is to be admired, but this concoction was recommended to me by a knowledgeable expert on Saison's and if you're looking for some of the genuine stuff from Belgium then you'll have to look elsewhere.

V8 is great, but not in a carbonated beverage.

3.19/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A malt beverage brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

A - A hazy golden body with a bubbly white head that dissipates within a few seconds. The lacing on the glass leaves a sticky white bubble layer that glimmers while you're drinking.

S - Lots of citrusy lemon notes, sweet honey, some clove, and an underlying citra hop body.

T - Tastes like it smells but there's a ton of other flavors from the herbs listed above. Some orange citrus at the back along with the bitterness from the hops. On the front there's a strong cinnamon clove presence.

M - A thin body rests on your tongue that goes down smoothly. Not a ton of carbonation.

O - I wouldn't buy this again. It's not a bad beer, but I wanted to say that up front. I hold all three breweries, Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory, in high regards, so I guess my expectations were set higher than what I experienced.

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Golden, bright white head.
S: Hay and lemon. Green herbs definitely there.
T: Upfront punch fo citrus; really nice Quickly dissipates to bitter herbs. Primarily rosemary & sage. Wet hops figure in. Very complex actually. Nice.
F:Light body; dry finish.
D: Easy to drink but not for everybody.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

This past Sunday my buddy John and I had the opportunity to stop at Moe's Tavern in Lee, MA for a very special treat: Saison du BUFF on tap! Saison du BUFF is a collaboration beer from Dogfish Head, Stone and Victory breweries. I have two bottles at home that I've been saving, and now can compare them against the kegged beer. This beer is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme... yep, a big ol' glass of Simon & Garfunkel.

Appearance: Nice hazy straw color beer with frothy white head.

Smell: Quite a bit going on here. A tart spiciness that was peppered with herbs. Mainly sage and thyme coming through as far as the four herbs go. Some tacky sweet notes to the nose as well, like the faint aroma of honey that's been stirred into tea.

Taste: Wow! Even more going on here! Initial light sweetness breaks quickly to lemon zest, rosemary and yes, parsley (so the other two herbs come marching in). Nice back end herby notes, again with more tartness and now some bittering.

Mouthfeel: Thinner feel than it looks in the glass. Clean, somewhat dry finish. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: This goes down like water on a hot day. The sweet-tartness up front combined with the clean bitter finish really lend this beer to be finished off quite quickly (as we discovered first hand).

Overall: I am exceptionally pleased with this beer, and can't wait to try it in bottle. Perhaps that will be on the menu this evening. If you see this beer, get it. It's limited, and is worth trying. And if you live within radius to Moe's, call to see if it's still on tap!

3.29/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three style pushing breweries creating an American Saison- sounds good! The aroma is a herb bomb with big rosemary and thyme notes. The taste brings a nice saison spice along with big herbal flavor. At the end there is a warming from the alcohol and some dark fruit. Overall, not a beer I would drink everyday, but a great example of what all three of these breweries are all about.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a nice golden color with a nice white head. Seems fairly clear - just a slight haze to the beer. The aroma is where this beer is exceptional. You get the hops mixed in with the herbs with a slight sweetness. Taste-wise, I'm not sure how this compares to other saisons since I haven't tried many and it's been awhile since my last one. But I think they did an excellent job blending the hops with the herbs such that it doesn't over power the malt. It finishes a bit sweet with some piney notes in the palate at the end. Goes great with spicey food.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer and didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. I had it on tap days after the release and it had a bit more bite in the bitterness to it than what I'm tasting in the bottle right now (could just be my taste buds today).

I'm looking forward to tasting the other collaborations that Stone has coming up.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Hazy yellow with a pretty thick one finger head in a pint glass. Retains pretty well and nice lacing is left on the glass. Beautiful looking beer.

S - Full of spices. Just smells sweet and crisp.

T - Wow. Full of spices. Rosemary stands out to me. Just so sweet and delicious. Very refreshing.

M - Pretty standard with the medium body and good carbonation. Just what you would expect it to feel like.

D - I could definitely put down a few of these. The abv is non-existent as you drink it. Kind of regret only buying one. At least its easy to get here.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at Green House Tavern. Drank with the other two SdB, Dogfish Head and Victory, in one session for comparison.

A - Hazy grapefruit with a moderate 1 1/2 finger head that settles into a fluffy head that is maintained well with a rising chain of carbonation throughout the drinking. Leaves a lacing that starts out strong and moves into a spottiness.

S - The best of the three, there's a even balance of herbs with a nice backing of grapefruit citrus and mint, with a light funk behind it.

T - Pepper and Lemon on the front moving into some Belgian yeastiness, with a little sourness as the beer warms up. The malt and hops balance is nice as well, the citrus hops work better with the herbs than I thought.

M - Nice scrubbing mouthfeel full of carbonation, with a dry crisp finish.

D - The most drinkable of the three, this beer is enjoyable enough to try again.

Personally I thought this collaboration was nice in theory, but fell short in execution. Stone, however, brought on a beer I'd try multiple times.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Mineral rich piss yellow coloration. Decent head and lacing. Head soon becomes weak. Very small film covers the glass. Decent amount of bubbles rise from the bottom.

S: Lots of HERBS. Mostly rosemary. However, all these S&G herbs are noticeable. Baked bread is very obvious in the nose as well as a tangerine citrus.

T: First off . . . great saison. The base for this beer is spot on. The herbal elements only increase this beers character! The rosemary may overtake the other herbs. . . .but for this beer it works. There is a subtle sweetness of coriander and spice that is quickly overtaken by these herbs. Yet this is not a spiced ale! Rosemary, coriander and herbs followed by a subtle sweet malt, finished with a slightly bitter finish define this collaboration.

M: Medium to slightly heavy body. Good carbonation for the style. Herby finish that lingers.

D: Drinkable. Strong in the herby flavor. One will do ya.

4.82/5  rDev +25.5%

Thick foamy white head which gradually recedes leaving excellent lacing, underneath sits a vibrant gold body, slightly hazy.

Citrus hops lead, some yeast? notes, grainy, some sourness, apples, slight tart, clove.

Citrus hops most noticeable, bready notes, corn, slight earthy bitterness, weak sour undertones, some herb and clove flavors detectable.

Medium carbonation but smooth and slightly creamy.

A complex, deliciously flavored beer, great to enjoy regularly or with a good dinner.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

I've now had a few different saison beers and I can see why they almost went extinct in the beer world. The taste of these beers is not something I look for in a beer at all. I'm also just not a fan of spices of any kind in beer, leave that to chefs and bakers. this beer was interesting to try but I would never buy it again. they only reason I tried it was because it's a colab between the bigger micro breweries.

the taste is heavy on rosemary and maybe some other spices which give it an almost food flavor not fun to drink. it poured a nice golden yellow color with a decent two finger head. it held carbonation well and felt dry to the mouth.

i love tgat brewers are experimenting with beers but this should not be sold to the public. it should just be made available as an experimental beer maybe at the breweries themselves. I think I'm done with saison beer in general.

3.84/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass.
Appearance is a golden cloudy hue. Light lacing with a ring head.
Smell is crazy. Tons of stuff going on here. Floral, aromatic, potpourri. Chopped weeds. Jesus christ this tastes crazy.
Taste and mouth are a little heavier than expected. The finish lingers and isn't bad. For a saison this is to hoppy. I think with some age this will do much better.

Come.
On.

I've never had a better Siason, much less a better beer.

This had so much flavor, and tasted so much like a juice, that I was a bit shocked when the Saison kick would show up at the finish.

I know it's $65 a case of 12oz bottles, but, I's savor this for as long as possible.

Great collab!

3.37/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a hay-gold, slightly hazy, showing light carbonation. A pure-white, three-finger head forms with with strong lacing.

Smells of exactly what is listed on the label: definite notes of cooking spice, citrus, slight resinous hops and perhaps a little bit of fresh mint leaf here and there.

Taste is very full, definitely hopped, with strong suggestions of the four spices used in brewing the beer. A malt presence is subtle if present at all, with lingering mint leaf and citrus in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is on par with the saison style, bubbly and alive.

I'd try it again after some bottle aging, which I may have to do once I buy a second one, but I wouldn't really order this again just because of the very un-beer taste of it.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.