2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,070 | Reviews: 511 | Show All Ratings:
xcrunner78

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

P: pours a plae golden color with a good head that dissipates quickly. Head settles with constant carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

S: oooh...a lot of herbs. Clove, sage, parsely, rosemary, thyme, and a spicy hopness.

T: very herbal spicemess. Good mouthful of spices mix well together. A spicy hopness at the tip of the tongue, finishes dry and the evaporation releases the spices at the back of the palate.

M: excellent bite to the tongue. No coating of the mouth. Feel the spiciness at the back of the nose.

D: very good brew. Great on a hot summer day.

06-04-2010 11:49:50 | More by xcrunner78
thisisxxmyIPA

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Pours with a small bright white head with HUGE bubbles. Very high carbonation, a golden color with amber highlights. Fairly clear with just a tiny bit of haze.

S - Beautiful Belgian yeast scents are the backbone of the scent, with fruity notes. The parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme lay heavily on top of the aroma. Honestly, I'm not sure which one is most dominant, but it smells out of this world and just a tad farmhousey. WOW.

T - Holy crap... who knew that these classic spices could work so well with the farmhouse aspects of a saison. Malty, farmhousey, and a GIANT spicy flavor. Some citrus notes on the background getting a small sweet cherry flavor as well. This is absolutely amazing. Not for everyone, definitely. But, for those who enjoy the style - you HAVE TO try this!

M - The high carbonation is perfect for the style.

D - Because of the extreme spice notes it has to be drank a bit slow. But overall - I am blown away.

06-18-2010 05:26:03 | More by thisisxxmyIPA
wikk3d

Connecticut

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - Dark yellowish/orange body with a very thick white head that settles very quickly leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. Poured into an Allagash Belgian Style Chalice.

Aroma - Very hoppy kick with a fruity citrus undertone.

Taste - Very mild alcohol taste, fruit and hops are very prevalent, other flavors as well. I was warned there was a large sage kick to it, although I was not previously familiar with the spice, I am now.

Mouth - Much spicier than other saison's I've had. There is a slight bitterness that lingers after the beer is gone. Almost has a vanilla kick to it, could be the thyme though.

Drinkability - This is definitely something I can have a couple of (bought in a single bottle.) It's not a good beer for someone that doesn't enjoy a lot of flavor or is just looking for a straight up unfiltered beer. The undertones of spice are very noticeable.

06-24-2010 00:52:41 | More by wikk3d
JeffH

Washington

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three style pushing breweries creating an American Saison- sounds good! The aroma is a herb bomb with big rosemary and thyme notes. The taste brings a nice saison spice along with big herbal flavor. At the end there is a warming from the alcohol and some dark fruit. Overall, not a beer I would drink everyday, but a great example of what all three of these breweries are all about.

07-04-2013 06:00:04 | More by JeffH
charmcityboh

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Brewed at Stone version.
Poured into Dogfish Head Signature Glass.
Lots of head, but not a thick one. Large bubbles form and die away rather quickly.
Odor of (what else?) parsley sage rosemary and thyme. Actually, my limited spice knowledge smells basil more than anything else. Almost like a spiced Iced tea. Spices overpower any traditional saison odors.
Appearance is a perfect orange/yellow, perfect for the style.
Taste is surprising after the smell. More of the traditional saison flavors emerge from the heavy seasoning than I expected. My favorite part of a saison, the ever lovely "horse blanket" was not there in the aroma, but is in the forefront of the flavor. Spices come in quick and sharp, then fade quickly to a dry, complex finish. I'm digging this more than I though I would. Cant see having more than one though, it's just to complex.
This is an interesting saison to put it mildly, but from these brewers, anything too traditional would be disappointing. Well done, will try to pick up at least one from each brewery.

08-08-2010 02:50:33 | More by charmcityboh
udchemist

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Did a side by side w/ dogfishheads n victorys (thanks urbancaver!).
Smell - much better than victorys, very spicy smelling - maybe a hint of thyme
Taste, more.balanced, overall better beer. Hops at the end, overall good from start to finish
Drinkability - not an everyday drink, but decent change up.
Mouthfeel - decent

01-22-2011 01:31:12 | More by udchemist
jhutch31

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok, I don't like giving reviews this low for any beer, especially one from three breweries that I love. However, I have to say I was disappointed with this collaboration.

Appearance: Polished, cider colored ale that left very little head retention and lacing on the glass.

Smell: Upon the first deep wiff, I immediately thought of a lemon herb ricola. Had a strong smell of herbs, spices, lemon cleaner, like pledge and menthol.

Taste: Unfortunately, the taste mimicked the smell. Some herbal flavors with a very strong lemon chemical flavor and a cold taste of almost like menthol.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter mouthfeel, such as something you would get from extracted tannins. Also a bit of the cold tingling feeling from sucking on a menthol cough drop.

Overall, a very interesting beer, for sure. However, the overall aroma and flavor of this beer was not pleasing. Again, I hate giving this low of a score for these three breweries, but this beer left me dissapponted.

04-05-2013 03:27:20 | More by jhutch31
joesmithrealname

Connecticut

Come.
On.

I've never had a better Siason, much less a better beer.

This had so much flavor, and tasted so much like a juice, that I was a bit shocked when the Saison kick would show up at the finish.

I know it's $65 a case of 12oz bottles, but, I's savor this for as long as possible.

Great collab!

06-10-2013 05:00:38 | More by joesmithrealname
jomo

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

Wow,

This beer is a unique beer that is completely out of balance. Instead of dumping loads of hops, they dumped loads of rosemary and herbs. The problem is that the beer is dominated by the herbs, and not in a good way. The rosemary is overpowering resulting in an astringent bitterness, medicinal-like in flavor. Wife says, "tastes like drinking Noxzema"...and she is right.

Worst Stone beer I have ever had.

05-15-2010 02:21:45 | More by jomo
BeerCoffeeWater

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours golden into my Dogfish signature glass.
I get a lot of rosemary and thyme in the smell, followed by a belgian-like beer aroma. It's like I'm at a good pizzeria drinking beer. Taste is peppery with a slight hop character. Smooth fine bubbles like a saison (I don't know what I just wrote?).

I think I'm gonna go pop a frozen pizza into the oven, cause this really makes me wanna have beer and pizza. The more I drink it, the more pepper I get in the aroma. This is a pretty tasty brew here. I'm totally surprised by this one, I figured it was just gonna be a novelty brew, one and done.

06-17-2010 01:48:50 | More by BeerCoffeeWater
SassieCassie

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Nice pale yellow color, with about an inch to an inch and a half for the head. It smelled earthy to me, the thyme definitely was shining through.

I loved the taste. It was very different to me, as I have not had too many Saison beers, or any beers with Sage and Thyme (my two favorite spices) The sage and thyme were definitely predominant throughout this beer. I thought the coolest part about this beer was how the thyme brought out the hops. Really cool stuff, I'll definitely have this again!

10-25-2012 22:07:23 | More by SassieCassie
whiskeysoda

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Was able to try this on tap over the course of a month at both Blue Palms in Hollywood, The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, Father's Office in Culver and The Golden State Cafe in West Hollywood. All were consistently superb.

Pours dark gold, slightly hazy hue with decent head and medium carbonation that subsided to fine lacing.

The NOSE is intensely 'green' and herbaceous: rosemary, sage, basil, evergreen and even a touch of fresh hash and candied orange. Wonderful balance of hops vs. earth/savory aromas, that belies it's bright, crisp MOUTHFEEL. The savory flavors of herbs are matched by a very slight malt sweetness and carmelized citrus from the hops on the PALATE.

Delicious, complex and very session-able. Not exactly something you'd want to start your night with if you were thinking of trying some lighter fare as there's a lot going on there...but still: very approachable. Many of my non-beer-drinker friends really really enjoyed this one. Good job, you triumvirate, you! Can't wait to see how you fine tune the next one!

07-04-2010 23:35:33 | More by whiskeysoda
tilopud_rye

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

I took the suggestion to try this beer not knowing anything about it. When I opened the bottle and smelled what was in there I knew that this would be quite different from beers I've previously tasted. It's a clear see through gold liquid that adopts the colors of whatevers behind the glass. It smells like a garden. The aroma of the herbs blend together to make this smell like a flower garden. The smell alone is relaxing and can take you to a different place. The taste is very unique. I noticed the bottle doesn't say beer anywhere but malt beverage. The flAvor of he herbs has a stronger accent on the overall taste than most recipes that you'd see them in. This is fine and pleasant in this case because they're guided by the light malt and carbonation that present the herbs to your tongue. The herbs still gently tingle on your tongue after a sip. Is a very nice beer for relaxing on a quiet day.

07-12-2012 20:01:47 | More by tilopud_rye
rickdiaz

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Pours a hazy, straw color pale gold with a huge white head.
S - Getting lots of lemons and herbs from this, obviously parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Still, very interesting and one-of-a-kind.
T - More lemons and herbs. The herbs do an amazing job of showing themselves at different times as the beer warms. At fist I get mostly rosemary, sticky and resinous. Then it's the thyme, followed with the sage and then the italian parsley. Very interesting beer!
M - Very crisp and dry, with a medium-light body and high carbonation. Very refreshing, an it pairs so well with foods such as chicken parmesean.
D - Very drinkable. One of the most unique and amazing beers I've ever had! Great credit goes to the 3 brewers!!!

07-09-2011 08:11:50 | More by rickdiaz
glennl

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

poured into a duvel glass from a 12 oz bottle with Stone Brewing cap.

nice golden color with thick white head that lasted a long time. strong herbal aroma with hints of cracked peppercorn and lemon.

the aromas carry over into the taste, with rosemary predominating, and *maybe* overwhelming. typical belgian yeast characteristics with champagne-like healthy carbonation.

this was a tough beer for me to buy because though I love saisons and all three of the collaborating brewers, I don't have much love for rosemary. So the fact that this was an enjoyable beer for me is a testament to the brewer's artistry.

i had the first 6oz or so paired with an arugula salad with shrimp and lemony mustard dressing, the second 6 oz by itself. i think this is a beer that lends itself better to food pairing due to the strong herbal component. overall very good, but it's just "out there" enough that I wouldn't see myself having more than 1 in a sitting.

in any case, big points for creativity!

07-16-2010 00:55:39 | More by glennl
Knownfactor

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

pours cloudy golden with a light fluffy head, looks really good! Aroma is spicy/floral with a hint of herbs. Taste is powerful, lightly bitter/hoppy with spicy, grassy, herbal perfume notes. Medium bodied. moderately bitter aftertaste that is also herbal.

06-28-2010 05:58:28 | More by Knownfactor
2ndloveofmylife

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Love trying great beer from great breweries. Especially when they come together and creating something special for us all to enjoy.
I feel like I can taste each brewery contribution in this beer. From Victory's golden monkey, and Dogfish Heads midas touch, to Stones your not worthy bitterness from some great hoppedness. perfect for this summer. If you can get some I highly recommend it.

06-30-2010 03:37:13 | More by 2ndloveofmylife
sandiego67

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

I attended the kick-off event a few weeks ago when Dogfishead and Victory were at Stone Brewing to kick-off the collaboration and got to taste some of the wort made that day.

Last Sunday, I had the final product on tap at Stone Brewing.

I appreciate when brewers push the envelope and encourage collaborations but this one just didn't work.

The appearance is a nice clear yellow with little carbonation. Pleasant enough.

Smell, Taste and Drinkability are all highly interrelated in this beer. It is very herbal. I don't know which herb gives it the grassy flavor but it is a little overpowering. This beer might be ok in small samples but too earthy to make it enjoyable for a full pint.

Mouthfeel is as expected. Light and not very malty.

I bought a few bottles at Stone and will give it another try later to see if my opinion changes.

05-13-2010 02:44:36 | More by sandiego67
SenorBeaver

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Looks great and golden like a heffiweisen.. but without the funky aftertaste.

Instead of a citrus, it is an herbal beer tasting of rosemary.

Smells great.

Taste good... would be great with a salmon cooked on a cedar plank.

Would limit to a couple of pints at most.

Fantastic collaboration.

05-13-2010 03:55:16 | More by SenorBeaver
BogusOwnz

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a bottle from DFH into my Sam Adams perfect beer glass

A - Very light looks like your typical saison

S - Very fruity and sweet with what I want to say is a spruce like smell but it is probably just the herb blend. I was expecting parsley but I get none.

T - This tastes nothing like it smells. At first it's typical saison clove but then the herbs take over as well as spruce (I'm on the spruce thing I know) this is a very unique taste and about 30 seconds after each sip you get Rosemary lingering on your tounge. Just very herbal and crisp.

MF - very light crisp and good carb nothing out of the ordinary for the style.

D - This is a very cool beer unlike anything Ive had. I couldn't have more then one or two not because of the taste but because you would be unable to appreciate it after one or two. I would like to see this become a seasonal beer. I picked a few bottles of the Dogfish Head and the Stone versions, I have yet to come by the Victory but will pick up if I see it.

08-14-2010 02:06:11 | More by BogusOwnz
Sokool

Washington

3.99/5  rDev +5%

Nothing particularly amazing to look at, but I really loved the funky herbal aroma that came off this thing. Because of the herbs I paired it with a pesto chicken pizza with red peppers and goat cheese. While this pairing looked good on paper, I'm not sure it was really the best idea. It turns out, the flavor of the beer is so interesting that I almost forgot that I was eating pizza. I noticed the rosemary first, and then a sort of sweet citrusy flavor which gave way to an herbal/hoppy bitterness. While the flavor was unique and memorable, it wasn't so overpowering (as many of these "experimental" brews can be) that I wouldn't be happy drinking more than one of these in a sitting.

02-03-2013 06:36:24 | More by Sokool
Monteiro

District of Columbia

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Possibly over chilled. Poured into a fatty flute glass.

A: A fairly light golden hue. A bit cloudy, with dispersed and dissipating carbonation. A even little saucer of head clings well to the edge of the glass.

S: Definite citrus. There's some lamb roasting on the other side of the kitchen, so its a little overpowered.

T: If there was a touch of lavender, this would taste just like a provençal seasoning mix. Rosemary is quite powerful, but the brew still tastes pretty balanced. Any malt is barely noticeable.

M: Interesting carbonation, on the lighter side but still pleasant. Zesty like someone took a microplane to it.

D: It's a pretty hot day here in Portland, and this was crazy satisfying. Had two bottles while I roasted some lamb doused in olive oil and sea salt.

07-20-2010 01:46:45 | More by Monteiro
sampstar

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Went to the Stone Tap Takeover in Charlotte, there was about a 20 minute delay for the second round of samplers, so i ordered this one with high hopes. They described it as a farmhouse ale?

Appearance was a light golden straw, it did have a nice white lacing
Smell was encouraging to me, smelled slightly 'herb-like' with maybe some citrus as well.
Drinkability was the downfall with what to me was an overpowering pine or herb taste that just wasn't enjoyable. i wished i had ordered any other beer that i had already tried.

10-07-2010 03:25:54 | More by sampstar
FarmerJohnny

3.8/5  rDev 0%

2012 Vintage
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass
No freshness date

A - A hazy golden color with a nice two finger foam from the pour. The beer presents very well.

S - Belgian yeast dominates the smell on this one. Hints of herbs come through as well.

T - A little disappointing at first, but the taste is growing on me. You can very much tell this a belgian style. Banana notes as well as parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme hints. Results in a very herby beer.

M - Full bodied up front with a crisp finish. An alcohol taste lingers well after the finish. Surprising for something that's not the most alcoholic (esp for Stone)

O - A descent beer, not my favorite from Stone and not my favorite of the Collaboration series but I'm glad I tried it. Fans of the Saison style beer should definitely try this one out

07-11-2012 01:26:25 | More by FarmerJohnny
SudburyWineBeer

4.75/5  rDev +25%

great beer~

love the smell, natural herbs was a twist but enjoyable,

head was great foamy with a eggshell color fizzy.

taste was amazing I've never been so delighted to drink the rest of a beer at a tasting before!

get one if you can find it! we still have some in the store

11-04-2010 23:18:58 | More by SudburyWineBeer
Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.