Join our email list →

Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

good

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale | 7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
Reviews: 513 | Hads: 1,194
3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this on tap, poured dark yellow unfiltered into my glass.

The smell was hardly there. I really tried hard to find anything from this beer i was used to within the style. I ended up smelling some light hints of lemon.

However the taste was awesome. Hops with herb blended citrus makes this a Saison i could see always wanting if it wasn't so limited. The spiced herbs hit the pallet first with a large hop punch leaving a after taste of rosemary, citrus and hops.

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into Russian River goblet

A - Pours light straw in color with a heavy forming head and some thick lacing.

S - definitely picking up the sage and thyme with the rosemary coming through faintly and some hay.

T - Sage is the easiest to pick out in the flavor. I'm guessing its the herb that they used the most of. Some subtle sweetness is evident.

M - Starts off sweet and drys out through the finish. Carbonation is subtle and it finishes dry with a tinge of herbaceous notes.

O - A nice rendition of a Saison but, not something I would look to drink a lot of. The problem lies with the sage. I feel that they used it a tad too much and it completely masked the other flavors that I'm guessing they wanted the drinker to experience. Nice novelty item but, that's about where it ends.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a straw color with slight cloudiness and a nice foamy head that sticks around. Strong citrus aromas share the nose with the smell of bread biscuit.

This is a bold and flavorful saison. There is complex spiciness and intricate flavors, although no distinct or dominant single herbal flavor. There is nice subtlety to this beer. It's dry with a slightly bitter finish, has nice citrus and Belgian undertones.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 oz bottle - Stone's version

A - Gold/Amber complexion, clear, appx 2 fingers of white foam, decent carbonation rising to the top

S - Honey, orange, bread, malts. Has sort of an Oktoberfest feel to it. Of the four spices advertised (Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme), the parsley and rosemary stand out as dominant spices. Overall a pleasant aroma

T - Herbs dominate and kinda distract you from the beer itself, but I can pick up the orange and bready taste behind the parsley sage and rosemary.

M - strong carbonation, muted hops, a touch sweet entering and a touch harsh on the finish. Orange aftertaste lingers. Finish has a bit of a tanginess to it that may be due to the herbs crossing paths

D - I plan to try all three just for comparison's sake, but I wouldn't keep this in stock due to the nature of the herbs.

2.71/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok, I don't like giving reviews this low for any beer, especially one from three breweries that I love. However, I have to say I was disappointed with this collaboration.

Appearance: Polished, cider colored ale that left very little head retention and lacing on the glass.

Smell: Upon the first deep wiff, I immediately thought of a lemon herb ricola. Had a strong smell of herbs, spices, lemon cleaner, like pledge and menthol.

Taste: Unfortunately, the taste mimicked the smell. Some herbal flavors with a very strong lemon chemical flavor and a cold taste of almost like menthol.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter mouthfeel, such as something you would get from extracted tannins. Also a bit of the cold tingling feeling from sucking on a menthol cough drop.

Overall, a very interesting beer, for sure. However, the overall aroma and flavor of this beer was not pleasing. Again, I hate giving this low of a score for these three breweries, but this beer left me dissapponted.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

A - gold with a thin head (not sure how long it sat after the pour, though)
S - smoked oysters, citrus / green herbs (literally -- parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme)
T - salty and smokey with grapefruit in the finish. pilsener and wheat malts dry hopped with Citra (best known in Sierra Nevada Torpedo?)
M - light but balanced
D - limited by the smokeyness

Stone's most complex offering to date. will be interesting to compare to the same brew created at DFH and Victory

2.74/5  rDev -28.6%

A- Pours a bright sunny golden color, pillowy white head, ample carbonation.

S- Smells like one of those incense and candle stores that the girlfriend or wife drags you into. An amalgamation of herbs and spices...

T- This little number is trying to do too much! Over powering herbal and soapy flavor. I'm taken back to kindergarten and having my mouth washed out with soap for saying F#$K on the playground.

M- If you can get past the feeling of being drowned in a tub filled with perfumed bath salts, it does have a nice crisp and effervescent character.

D- I had to try it, I'm glad I did, and I'm glad this one was priced reasonably...

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Pours with a small bright white head with HUGE bubbles. Very high carbonation, a golden color with amber highlights. Fairly clear with just a tiny bit of haze.

S - Beautiful Belgian yeast scents are the backbone of the scent, with fruity notes. The parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme lay heavily on top of the aroma. Honestly, I'm not sure which one is most dominant, but it smells out of this world and just a tad farmhousey. WOW.

T - Holy crap... who knew that these classic spices could work so well with the farmhouse aspects of a saison. Malty, farmhousey, and a GIANT spicy flavor. Some citrus notes on the background getting a small sweet cherry flavor as well. This is absolutely amazing. Not for everyone, definitely. But, for those who enjoy the style - you HAVE TO try this!

M - The high carbonation is perfect for the style.

D - Because of the extreme spice notes it has to be drank a bit slow. But overall - I am blown away.

4.82/5  rDev +25.5%

P: pours a plae golden color with a good head that dissipates quickly. Head settles with constant carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

S: oooh...a lot of herbs. Clove, sage, parsely, rosemary, thyme, and a spicy hopness.

T: very herbal spicemess. Good mouthful of spices mix well together. A spicy hopness at the tip of the tongue, finishes dry and the evaporation releases the spices at the back of the palate.

M: excellent bite to the tongue. No coating of the mouth. Feel the spiciness at the back of the nose.

D: very good brew. Great on a hot summer day.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance - Dark yellowish/orange body with a very thick white head that settles very quickly leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. Poured into an Allagash Belgian Style Chalice.

Aroma - Very hoppy kick with a fruity citrus undertone.

Taste - Very mild alcohol taste, fruit and hops are very prevalent, other flavors as well. I was warned there was a large sage kick to it, although I was not previously familiar with the spice, I am now.

Mouth - Much spicier than other saison's I've had. There is a slight bitterness that lingers after the beer is gone. Almost has a vanilla kick to it, could be the thyme though.

Drinkability - This is definitely something I can have a couple of (bought in a single bottle.) It's not a good beer for someone that doesn't enjoy a lot of flavor or is just looking for a straight up unfiltered beer. The undertones of spice are very noticeable.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Brewed at Stone version.
Poured into Dogfish Head Signature Glass.
Lots of head, but not a thick one. Large bubbles form and die away rather quickly.
Odor of (what else?) parsley sage rosemary and thyme. Actually, my limited spice knowledge smells basil more than anything else. Almost like a spiced Iced tea. Spices overpower any traditional saison odors.
Appearance is a perfect orange/yellow, perfect for the style.
Taste is surprising after the smell. More of the traditional saison flavors emerge from the heavy seasoning than I expected. My favorite part of a saison, the ever lovely "horse blanket" was not there in the aroma, but is in the forefront of the flavor. Spices come in quick and sharp, then fade quickly to a dry, complex finish. I'm digging this more than I though I would. Cant see having more than one though, it's just to complex.
This is an interesting saison to put it mildly, but from these brewers, anything too traditional would be disappointing. Well done, will try to pick up at least one from each brewery.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Did a side by side w/ dogfishheads n victorys (thanks urbancaver!).
Smell - much better than victorys, very spicy smelling - maybe a hint of thyme
Taste, more.balanced, overall better beer. Hops at the end, overall good from start to finish
Drinkability - not an everyday drink, but decent change up.
Mouthfeel - decent

2.34/5  rDev -39.1%

Wow,

This beer is a unique beer that is completely out of balance. Instead of dumping loads of hops, they dumped loads of rosemary and herbs. The problem is that the beer is dominated by the herbs, and not in a good way. The rosemary is overpowering resulting in an astringent bitterness, medicinal-like in flavor. Wife says, "tastes like drinking Noxzema"...and she is right.

Worst Stone beer I have ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Nice pale yellow color, with about an inch to an inch and a half for the head. It smelled earthy to me, the thyme definitely was shining through.

I loved the taste. It was very different to me, as I have not had too many Saison beers, or any beers with Sage and Thyme (my two favorite spices) The sage and thyme were definitely predominant throughout this beer. I thought the coolest part about this beer was how the thyme brought out the hops. Really cool stuff, I'll definitely have this again!

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours golden into my Dogfish signature glass.
I get a lot of rosemary and thyme in the smell, followed by a belgian-like beer aroma. It's like I'm at a good pizzeria drinking beer. Taste is peppery with a slight hop character. Smooth fine bubbles like a saison (I don't know what I just wrote?).

I think I'm gonna go pop a frozen pizza into the oven, cause this really makes me wanna have beer and pizza. The more I drink it, the more pepper I get in the aroma. This is a pretty tasty brew here. I'm totally surprised by this one, I figured it was just gonna be a novelty brew, one and done.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

pours cloudy golden with a light fluffy head, looks really good! Aroma is spicy/floral with a hint of herbs. Taste is powerful, lightly bitter/hoppy with spicy, grassy, herbal perfume notes. Medium bodied. moderately bitter aftertaste that is also herbal.

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

Was able to try this on tap over the course of a month at both Blue Palms in Hollywood, The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, Father's Office in Culver and The Golden State Cafe in West Hollywood. All were consistently superb.

Pours dark gold, slightly hazy hue with decent head and medium carbonation that subsided to fine lacing.

The NOSE is intensely 'green' and herbaceous: rosemary, sage, basil, evergreen and even a touch of fresh hash and candied orange. Wonderful balance of hops vs. earth/savory aromas, that belies it's bright, crisp MOUTHFEEL. The savory flavors of herbs are matched by a very slight malt sweetness and carmelized citrus from the hops on the PALATE.

Delicious, complex and very session-able. Not exactly something you'd want to start your night with if you were thinking of trying some lighter fare as there's a lot going on there...but still: very approachable. Many of my non-beer-drinker friends really really enjoyed this one. Good job, you triumvirate, you! Can't wait to see how you fine tune the next one!

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

I took the suggestion to try this beer not knowing anything about it. When I opened the bottle and smelled what was in there I knew that this would be quite different from beers I've previously tasted. It's a clear see through gold liquid that adopts the colors of whatevers behind the glass. It smells like a garden. The aroma of the herbs blend together to make this smell like a flower garden. The smell alone is relaxing and can take you to a different place. The taste is very unique. I noticed the bottle doesn't say beer anywhere but malt beverage. The flAvor of he herbs has a stronger accent on the overall taste than most recipes that you'd see them in. This is fine and pleasant in this case because they're guided by the light malt and carbonation that present the herbs to your tongue. The herbs still gently tingle on your tongue after a sip. Is a very nice beer for relaxing on a quiet day.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours a hazy, straw color pale gold with a huge white head.
S - Getting lots of lemons and herbs from this, obviously parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Still, very interesting and one-of-a-kind.
T - More lemons and herbs. The herbs do an amazing job of showing themselves at different times as the beer warms. At fist I get mostly rosemary, sticky and resinous. Then it's the thyme, followed with the sage and then the italian parsley. Very interesting beer!
M - Very crisp and dry, with a medium-light body and high carbonation. Very refreshing, an it pairs so well with foods such as chicken parmesean.
D - Very drinkable. One of the most unique and amazing beers I've ever had! Great credit goes to the 3 brewers!!!

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Looks good with a bright golden color, big, fluffy head and good lacing. Smell of hoppy citrus and lots of herbs also. A little herb, spice, hop bite on the tongue too which was nice and a dry finish. Very smooth I enjoyed this beer and would definitely have this again.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

poured into a duvel glass from a 12 oz bottle with Stone Brewing cap.

nice golden color with thick white head that lasted a long time. strong herbal aroma with hints of cracked peppercorn and lemon.

the aromas carry over into the taste, with rosemary predominating, and *maybe* overwhelming. typical belgian yeast characteristics with champagne-like healthy carbonation.

this was a tough beer for me to buy because though I love saisons and all three of the collaborating brewers, I don't have much love for rosemary. So the fact that this was an enjoyable beer for me is a testament to the brewer's artistry.

i had the first 6oz or so paired with an arugula salad with shrimp and lemony mustard dressing, the second 6 oz by itself. i think this is a beer that lends itself better to food pairing due to the strong herbal component. overall very good, but it's just "out there" enough that I wouldn't see myself having more than 1 in a sitting.

in any case, big points for creativity!

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

Looks great and golden like a heffiweisen.. but without the funky aftertaste.

Instead of a citrus, it is an herbal beer tasting of rosemary.

Smells great.

Taste good... would be great with a salmon cooked on a cedar plank.

Would limit to a couple of pints at most.

Fantastic collaboration.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Love trying great beer from great breweries. Especially when they come together and creating something special for us all to enjoy.
I feel like I can taste each brewery contribution in this beer. From Victory's golden monkey, and Dogfish Heads midas touch, to Stones your not worthy bitterness from some great hoppedness. perfect for this summer. If you can get some I highly recommend it.

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a bottle from DFH into my Sam Adams perfect beer glass

A - Very light looks like your typical saison

S - Very fruity and sweet with what I want to say is a spruce like smell but it is probably just the herb blend. I was expecting parsley but I get none.

T - This tastes nothing like it smells. At first it's typical saison clove but then the herbs take over as well as spruce (I'm on the spruce thing I know) this is a very unique taste and about 30 seconds after each sip you get Rosemary lingering on your tounge. Just very herbal and crisp.

MF - very light crisp and good carb nothing out of the ordinary for the style.

D - This is a very cool beer unlike anything Ive had. I couldn't have more then one or two not because of the taste but because you would be unable to appreciate it after one or two. I would like to see this become a seasonal beer. I picked a few bottles of the Dogfish Head and the Stone versions, I have yet to come by the Victory but will pick up if I see it.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Possibly over chilled. Poured into a fatty flute glass.

A: A fairly light golden hue. A bit cloudy, with dispersed and dissipating carbonation. A even little saucer of head clings well to the edge of the glass.

S: Definite citrus. There's some lamb roasting on the other side of the kitchen, so its a little overpowered.

T: If there was a touch of lavender, this would taste just like a provençal seasoning mix. Rosemary is quite powerful, but the brew still tastes pretty balanced. Any malt is barely noticeable.

M: Interesting carbonation, on the lighter side but still pleasant. Zesty like someone took a microplane to it.

D: It's a pretty hot day here in Portland, and this was crazy satisfying. Had two bottles while I roasted some lamb doused in olive oil and sea salt.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.