Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros
3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Poured an orangish color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Bitterness,light pepper English malts and grass

T: Bitterness and grass. Some English malt and perhaps some melon with light pepper

M: Medium to full bodied with plenty of hop bite

D: Wont go back to this and my least fav of the Stone Anny beers so far

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

To describe a Stone beer as "heavy handed" could easily mean the drinker is not a hophead and unaccustomed to Stone's embrace of the power of the hops. I happily list myself among the ranks of hop devotees, but, even for me, the heavy-handed description of this beer applies. Big malt body to carry the hops and abv. Assertive hopping that seemed brash and unrefined, with rough edges that rasp the tongue. Finish is a bit hot as the hops join force with the ETOH for a discordant finish.

3.39/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Very pale, straw almost clear liquid. Nice large 2 finger fluffy head. Lots of lacing. Plenty of carbonation visible. Appealing to the eyes.

S- Light on the smell. Flowery herbal hops. Some spicy notes. A bit subdued.

T- Decent spicy bitterness. The malt seems to be hidden for something trying to be an Imperial IPA, which is expected in my book for an IIPA. But this is swinging at something different. ITs much closer to a bid ESB, but lacks the finer points of that beer. Good amounts of a pine hop flavor, its not bad at all just needs more.

M - Good mouth feel. Body is creamy, plenty of carbonation.

O - I might be missing the point of this beer. It says imperial right? it a very tasty ESB essentially. More of an IPA. Its very good. I like it. Its just not what the packages says it is.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Slight grapefruit/piney hop nose. Flavor is grapefruit and hints of caramel, lingering grapefruit/piney finish. There are better Imp IPAs like DFH Burton Barton. $6.99 for a 22oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pale clear golden with a dense creamy white head; thick clumpy sheets of lacing. Pungent, floral hops balanced by a strong pale malt aroma. Mouthfeel is medium thick and lightly carbonated. Flavor is oddly for style dominated from the start by floral, earthy hops (but I guess not unusual for Stone). Flavor is also very sweet and loaded with a strong pale malt body. Overall this certainly has a unique flavor profile, not really comparing to any English IPA or American DIPA I've had, but it's lacking any subtlety and balance. Oh well, at least it's different and worth one try, but not something to seek out.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

Tulip glass. I love Stone, I love IPAs and I love Double IPAs--there's no reason why I shouldn't love this...

A: hazy yellow straw, minimal head and lacing, chemical plastic

S: fruit, melon, hops, some yeast funk

T: abundant fruit, caramel, funk, spice, bitterness at end doesn't counterbalance overwhelming sweetness

M: steady sharp carbonation, alcohol is all I'm left with, though it is one of the best parts

I: would have liked to see more from stone from this one given it's the 14th anniversary and a "back to basics IPA." Disappointed by the sweetness imbalance.

3.36/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is an unattractive mix of grassy hops and sweat. The flavor is orange citrus hops, grassy hops and bready malt. I also get some resiny hops and medium to high bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not near the beer I expected this to be. Not terrible, but still disappointing.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all I've heard about it. Totally unimpressed by it though once I had it. Aroma was extremely floral, almost prfume like. Flavor was pretty well balanced but it tasted more like an IPA than a Double IPA. The hop bitterness may have been there but the alcohol was really missing. Give me a Ruination over this beer anyday.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours gold with a light veil. Two inches of semi-rocky head that settles in with some nice lacing. A lot of yeast or other particulate matter floating around in there which detracts a bit from the appearance.

14 hits your nose with emphasis on the veggies: lemongrass and onion / garlic, is complemented by a bit of light flan and mango.

Mouthfeel is appropriately sprightly, with lively carbonation bringing the hop flavors to the tip of your tongue.

Anyone looking for the slightest malt balance to their DIPAs will be left behind. Bold grass, lemon peel, onion and pine flavors take the lead and don't let go. A slight mango flavor just before the finish keeps it from being too overpowering, but no one will accuse this brew of being subtlety complex. The finish dries out your tonsils with a fresh hop punch while the prolonged bitter finish lingers on the tongue with a bit more alcohol than I ordinarily like. Worth a try if this gets bottled again, but the grass forward profile and lack of a malt structure brings the drinkability down a peg or two.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The pour is a hazy golden straw color with a dense white head on it.

S: The nose is quite inviting (at first). Initially there is plenty of fruitiness to it--pineapple and grapefruit, especially. Then some lightly floral and spicy hops come into the picture along with a very distinct grassiness.

T: Initially I really liked the flavor of this as it matched the nose nearly perfectly. As the beer warmed up a little bit, the hop flavor became grassy and very spicy. A good bitterness to it without much in the way of malt (typical Stone beer).

M: The body is perhaps on the light end of medium with a moderate and tingling carbonation.

D: I usually like Stone's anniversary beers, but this one just didn't quite do it for me. I guess if I'm going to have any more of these, I'll have to drink them quickly.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass.

A-Pours a very hazy a golden-apricot color with a about a one finger, light off-white head. Scant lacing, which is uncharacteristic compared to every Stone beer I have had. Second pouring more vigourous produced a two finger head, but still scant lacing. Never taken so long to finish a bomber of any Stone beer.

S-Bitterness, light pepper English malts, and lemongrass.

T-Bitterness with lemongrass from the hop bill. Spicy with some English malts with taste reminiscent of honeydew melon and cracked black pepper.

M-Medium to full bodied with plenty of hop bite. Alcohol presence at 8.9% ABV is very well masked.

D-This is probably the least favorite Stone offering I have had. Don't much care for this, and I'm not going to bother finishing reading the story on the bottle. Very disappointed. An anniversary should be something to be celebrated, to commemorate the good thing that started it all. If this had been Stone's first beer, they may not have had a one year anniversary. Stone sometimes is too enamored of itself. They should stick to what they are very good at, instead of trying to interpret what is now an anachronistic style. This Independence Day weekend has me glad we parted with the English. Ben Franklin would not have cared for this. I much prefer the American Imperial IPA.

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Pale orange-tinted gold. Pours with a sizable head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S: Fish, citrus, and skunky hops.

T: Heavy grainy, bready malts. Burnt plastic off-flavor and a bit of smoke aftertaste. Some earthy hops.

M: Dry, almost chalky. Medium viscosity with appropriate carbonation.

D: Jesus, this is more like a Double English IPA. Over the top and unnecessary, this one just doesn't work for me. Not a drain pour by any means and I'll admit my descriptions are probably a bit harsh, but I won't be seeking this beer out anytime soon.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

Okay, sweet label awesome story of why the famous west coast Stone Brewery wants to go all English Imperial aka Emperial on us. But it's a hard sell from the notion of an aggessive English IPA, that's an oxymoron to me. Body pours a glowing slightly clouded bright yellow orange hue apricot I guess...head forms thick bright white head fine sticky lacing clings to the sides of my chalice.

Prickly citrus rinds hits the nares with a touch of alcohol and a spicy yeast component, pretty intense nose so far. Sweet melon and a touch of peppery funky yeast edges collide, this is a strange brew for me.

Flavor hits with so much bitterness the English hops in American doses cause much abrasive qualities on the palate. It's like a burning citrus hop tequila, it burns the back of the throat and the nares and earthy, grapefruit, harsh herbal hops hit the palate like a sledgehammer. I usually find some sense of finesse from brewers at Stone even when their concept is as intense as this. I want a bit of balance to go with the massive hop bill then I want some nice English malts to fight back to create some nice balanced acceptable flavors. Not until the last pour did I get more malt and breads with the spicy/grapefruit/herbal/earthy hop bomb, too little too late.

Mouthfeel I'm getting hop chunks in this one that I literally had to chew on towards the end of the bottle. Carbonation is agressive upfront but not overdone body is medium to full definitely an aggressive palate wrecker of a beer, I have this beer and the other Stone alternative IPAs right down the street from me.

Drinkability is a rough subject as the beer starts to get more approachable and your palate is ready for the onslaught of hops, it begins to feel like I'm chewing on this beer it's one of the hardest 22 ounce bottles from Stone I've ever consumed. It reminds me of te first year that Sam Adams made an Imperial Hallertau hopped pilsner, it was pure hop insanity in a German sense...well, this is it's English brethren.

1 pint 6oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is orange with golden highlights. It is hazy. Three inches of off white head are perched on top.

S - I get a balance of malt and citrus hops. I get an orange/peach aroma as well.

T - I get a fleeting taste of citrus and am bombarded with bitterness. Very bitter and dry.

M - My mouth is left with a chalky feel.

O - I was left wincing from the bitterness a few times on this one. I'm a pussy that likes midwest IPA's.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

I picked up a bottle of this one somewhere in Denver (I cannot remember where). Poured a dark hazy yellow color with a decent white head. Aromas of pine, citrus and caramel. On the palate, this one was medium bodied, with flavors of pine, citrus and caramel.

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

A- pours a nice yellow-orange color, thin off white head that leaves lots of lacing/legs.
Smell- smell is eathy herbal, a hint of brett is present, i am getting the sweaty horse blanket aromas that are present in belgians, i havent had too many english ipas i am not sure if this fits the profile
T- is not what you would expect from a stone beer, im getting a strong grapefruit bitterness, with a lingering sour note in the back of the palate.
M- effervesent light body, lighter than expected for an imperial beer.
D- i would be able to drink 2 pints of this max, i am a bit of a hop head and this beer only teases my palate, i get an aggresive bittering hop/ grapefruit taste but not much hop presence in the aroma

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into a bulbous tulip

A - Super hazy, golden glow reminiscent of an American Wheat. Soapy white respectable head with spotty lacing.

S - Citrus like orange pulp, pine, faint apple, wood, earth and sweet malt.

T - Pretty close to the nose, lots of mild citrus and apple and a sort of earthy English hop tinge and more wood. Long lingering bitterness that isn't as punchy as an all American hop IPA, just kind of meh. Malt is present put nothing to wax poetic about and a slight tinge of alcohol.

M - Nice medium mouthfeel, a little oily and middle of the road carbonation.

D - Really easy to drink for nearly 9% but if Doc Brown and I were to hop in the Delorean and go back to the super market I probably would have picked up Ruination or Sublimely-Self Righteous. Not one of Stone's best offerings but a worthy experiment.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

22 oz bottle poured into an emperial pint. 8.9% ABV, June 2010, "Consume when fresh or age in the hull of a seafaring vessel for a year or more."

A - I watched helplessly as tiny particles rushed from the bottle into my beer. Luckily their damage didn't amount to much as it remained a mostly clear goldenrod yellow color. Lots of carbonation kept the well-retained white head alive for sometime. Chunky lace clung to the glass pretty well too!

S - Distinctly different, English hops populate the aroma with a blend of both grass, freshly cut, and a squirt of lemon juice with a light hint of pineapple. Sweet crystal and pale malts back the aroma up very nicely offering good balance without distracting from the hops.

T - Something must have changed between the aroma and flavor as it's much less attractive now. Maybe I was better off setting this beer to sea... Sharply and overly bitter, grassy and earthy flavors with a bit of cardboard aren't very appealing. The sweet backing malts in the aroma turn dry and flakey like a biscuit without butter. A small pinch of lemon and pineapple citrus makes it's way in but certainly not enough. Burtonized water is pretty big in this beer too. Lots of minerals and salt present.

M - Sharp carbonation brings a lively feel to this medium-bodied English IPA while a dry, incredibly bitter finish changes it up quite a bit. Much too dry and very bitter for my liking. Strange that I don't particularly enjoy THIS bitterness but love overly hopped American IPAs.

D - I'm determined to finish this bottle and have it change my mind about the beer. It isn't a half-bad beer, I just can't get into the flavor profile or large bitterness. Definitely one of my least favorite Stone brews to date.

3.22/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy yellow laced with snowy white flakes and settles into a burnt orange capped by a foamy white head. There is a lot of sediment near the bottom.

S: Smells very yeasty, almost moldy, with hints of something unpleasant like mildew. This is uncharacteristic of Stone so I’m fairly certain this is an ill preserved bottle. It doesn’t smell very hoppy, but does have hints of orange and lemon as well as bready, biscuit malts.

T/M: Taste throws you for a loop after the aroma; it’s a heavy texture right away, hops are prominent up front and are thick but not very bitter, some oranges sneak through followed by bready malts. It feels very heavy on the tongue.

All around, this is a good IPA but I may have received a poorly preserved bottle.

3.22/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a small frothy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Pineapple, grassy hops, slightly soapy.

T: Pungent hop taste with citrus up front followed by a heavy, spicy dose of pine.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Sticky.

D: Interesting and well-made, but I'm not in love with this one. Worth a try.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

I got this bottle at the Common Market and the Flying Saucer in Charlotte.
Pours a faint yellow amber body with a thick, froathy head.
Smells of obvious east kent goldings and dry herbal hoppiness.
Tastes of citrus, pine and huge grassy notes with some dry malts that taste more like rye than any other grain. The finish is EXTREMELY dry and almost like sand. It's amazingly bittering and very very dry.
Drinkablity is up for debate but the dryness is more than most of my beer drinking advocates can even handle, I don't hate it but it's very hard to drink alot of it. I think this beer will be very nice in about 5-6 months after mellowing out.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Bomber to wine glass. Reviewed upon it's arrival to PA.

A: Pours with a one and a half finger foamy/frothy white head. Decent retention. The light persimmon colored body is bright and richly radiant thanks to it's haziness. Sixty percent opacity. Mediocre lacing.

S: Only British ingredients were used in the making of this brew (minus Colorado River water) and given the aroma/flavor profile, it comes as no surprise. Above average amount of toasted malts: Bread, biscuits and grain. The harsh hop bill is dominated by pine, and reinforced by sawdust and grass. The yeast contributes a healthy does of must and sweat.

T: Impressive? Sure. Great? No. Nothing new is presented on the palate that I wasn't aware of or couldn't have predicted from the nose. As Stone brews have been accused of before, this here is a one-trick pony.

M: One of the fullest and creamiest DIPAs I've ever had. And then? THEN the carbonation mercilessly decimates the taste buds while the hop bitterness sears off no less than 10% of my tongue. This is a real PALATE CRUSHER. Seriously. I felt like beating up my girlfriend after the ass-whooping that was handed down to me.

D: Even though I don't think this is particularly good beer, I applaud Stone for their inventiveness, their goal and their execution. The 14th Anniversary is EXACTLY what a Stone E(I)mperial IPA should be like. Quite literally.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy and murky with a golden yellow color, poured with a rich head. Smell- complex. At 100 IBU I have to say this is too bitter for my taste, but there is a richness there that everyone must step up and recognize. Wouldn't go back for this one, I much prefer the Ruination. However, that night I dreamed that I was drinking this and the hops were so strong that it made me sneeze. Points for puncturing my subconscious.

What a weird beer.

Pours hazy orange with a fluffy soapy head and a lively stream of carbonation. The aroma is strange, with a lemony edge, but a peculiar uriney odor that is not pleasant. The flavor strong and musky, still with that strange urinish character. Weird that it is tolerable. The flavor is deep and bitter, like orange rind - musky and earthy. Deeply bitter, almost overwhelmingly.

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

22oz poured into pint.

A: Light golden color. One-finger head. Medium carbonation.

S: Very strange smell. Earthy, grassy. Different than any beer I have ever smelled before.

T: Grassy continues. Long, lingering, bitter, earthy aftertaste. Unlike any beer I have ever had.

M: Smooth and properly carbonated.

D: Not for me. I ended up gulping my half down.

This beer seems like it didn't know what it was up to in life. I will not buy another one.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.