2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 741 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
KeefD

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

Pours a hazy golden color with a large white head that stuck around for some time and left some good chunky lacing on the glass. Aroma was strangely Belgian-esque upon the first whiff. Earthy, like a damp basement, some lemon and light sweetness, herbal hops. This is an English IPA? I don't know what the hell is going on with this beer. The taste is throwing me for a loop. It's bitter, earthy, dry, and has a strong solvent alcohol flavor coupled with bandaid and powdery yeast. WTF? No sweetness in the taste whatsoever, incredibly dry, almost harsh finish. Ugh... Mouthfeel is drying, bitter, and just not good, needs some body and sweetness to balance out the awfulness of the hop schedule. I like bitter, but I want flavor. This is alcohol, medicine, and bandaid. Fuck me, this is bad.

07-08-2010 23:25:55 | More by KeefD
7ways

Georgia

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

Dammit, I was so excited about this beer, right up until I poured it. Looked weird, pale and milky and raw like The Bruery's Mischief on tap. And the smell was RAW and old. Like something that's been souring under a leaky washing machine over the summer months.

Then I drank it.

Well, at least it felt like a beer in my mouth. But that thing under the washer? Yeah, it was a tangerine. The hops? I don't know how that happens, but it was like sucking on an old unpeeled tangerine. I didn't expect bright citrusy American hoppiness, but what a weird twist. It's aimlessly bitter and too dry and acrid and alcoholic. My friend's first reaction: "it's pointy". Well said. After suffering through a few more gulps (not sippable) I suggested that it tasted sick, like ill. Not infected in the fun way, more like cancer of the malt. She agreed, and said that the aftertaste was like bile. Again, very well said.

07-09-2010 05:59:09 | More by 7ways
nlmartin

1.48/5  rDev -61.7%

Another year has gone by and its time for yet another stones anniversary beer. I must admit up front I wasnt stoked for an English Style IPA. However being the Stones fanboy I am I had to have it when it came in. The beer was served chilled and in an Imperial Pint glass. As a wise man once said, "Hey Ho Lets Go!"

Appearance: The body of the beer is peach to honey coloration. The head of the beer is off white and quickly resolves into a thin foam.

Smell: Herbed pine hits my nose. Thin bready maltyness supports the hops.

Taste: I think I just licked a grass filled herb encrusted whicker basket. I swore I had a bit of citrus the other day but none to be found in this bottle.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. The beer gives me a sense of creamyness to the mouth. Very low carbonation noted. Perhaps this is an attempt to get a cask feel. I was gob smacked with dryness on this particular bottle. This beer is not worthy. I like the idea of experimenting with beer styles and ingredients. This is kind of like an off flavored ESB. Hoping next year that the old arrogant bastard returns to form.

07-09-2010 11:16:28 | More by nlmartin
Arbitrator

1.3/5  rDev -66.3%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell at a weekend tasting. Thanks, Arne.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot body with a finger of short-lived beige head. No lace. The lack of clarity is really unsettling -- it makes the beer look like turbid pond water.

S: Old towels and urinals. There were four of us seated around the table, and I purposely took the last pour and made the last comment so that people wouldn't be influenced by what I had to say. But when I did, that became the consensus of the tasting. There's a peppery, salty, organic note to this that distinctly reminds me of urine and old towels. It's unpleasant.

T: Toasted malt and biscuit, I can pick out. But that weird organic smell I noticed is back, here. It presents the flavors of mildew, decay, and salty pee. I don't think the beer is infected, exactly -- I just have this reaction to certain flavor / aroma combinations (see Nugget Nectar and Tongue Buckler, which smell like urinal cakes to me). This beer goes a step beyond that and carries the unpleasantness into the flavor. And this time, I had 3 witnesses to agree with me.

M: Some alcohol to this, an astringent (tea-like) finish, and a semi-dry body. Nothing about this works at all: it needs more sugar to cover up the booze and bitterness.

D: A complete misfire. Terrible. Between 4 hopheads, we drainpoured half the bottle. And I'm very forgiving toward Stone products, so I'm sad to give this the score I am.

I'm actually half-wondering if they made this to mock Ding. Not cool, Stone.

07-06-2010 06:30:20 | More by Arbitrator
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.