Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros
VikeMan

Georgia

12-24-2011 00:22:29 | More by jophish17
yeahnatenelson

2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

Appearance -- Pours a pale straw, quite hazy (not cloudy), with two fingers of sudsy lily-white head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell -- Lemon, pine sap, dish soap, and shrubs with some busicuit and caramel malt in the backdrop.

Taste -- Lots of grapefruit rind and pine with bitter vegetal flavors akin to raw rhubarb. Under the thick fog of hop bitterness is toffee and caramel, with raw buscuit dough maltiness. Long finish that is bitter, oily and vegetal.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to light in body with ample prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- This beer tastes like a beer brewed by consensus: it's going in all different directions, with none of them complimenting the others. Typically, I find Stone to be hit or miss, mostly of the former. To date, this is by far the worst offering I've had by them.

07-18-2010 18:18:03 | More by yeahnatenelson
tzieser

Arizona

2.1/5  rDev -45.5%

Ugh...what can I say about this beer? Two words come to mind: epic fail.

The color isn't there, English-style IPAs shouldn't be corn-yellow like this one was...at least its a bit hazy, but its so far off of its English roots its incredible. The nose is hoppy as hell-- which is fine (because its stone after all) but where's the malt? Nowhere to be found. The flavor is just insanely bitter-- which is also fine but again, where's the malt? english style ipas should not taste like this. Mouthfeel is where it should be. I just don't see myself having more than a pint of this, which is an absolute shame because I really REALLY wanted to love this beer.

Its a shame really. I had big expectations for this brew, which could be why I was let down. Maybe if I wasn't so amped up for this if enjoy it more.

I think if this was labeled anything other than "english style ipa" I wouldn't be this harsh, as I would have been a bit more open minded in terms of style based criticism. Typically I rate beers according to how much I enjoyed them regardless of style. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this beer, thanks in part to the mindset I was in going into this review (thinking "english ipa" not "new ipa")

I'd rather reach for a true English ipa or a great local English-style ipa (mayflower IPA comes to mind) before I ever gave this another shot. Nice try, Stone. Stick to your intense west coast IPAs from now on, please.

Edit: this review is coming from someone who's a hophead. I also loved stone 13, I just didn't like this.

08-02-2010 23:41:44 | More by tzieser
Lolli1315

2.17/5  rDev -43.6%

A- A hazy orange color with about a finger of white bubbly head that holds on with a thin layer left. Ring of lacing around the edge of the glass, but don't see much after that.

S- A hint of grapefruit and maybe some lemon as the smell takes off into an untamed hop sensation that is quickly overpowered by a weird acidic chemical smell that is very unpleasant. Some malt available in the background but falls victim to the chemical smell as well.

T- Taste is something else. Starts with a sort of herbal taste that changes towards an earthy piney hop taste, but unpleasantly harsh. Alcohol is more than apparent towards the end of the beer almost to the point of drowning out all other tastes. One of the only things to make it through is that earthy bitterness that lasts into the after taste.... and lasts... and lasts. Seems like some of the tastes got out of control as the citrus I was expecting made little to no appearance.

M- Medium bodied, but aggressive with how dry it is in the mouth. Carbonation is alright, nothing to brag about.

D- A bomber of this stuff? A 12 oz bottle would be a chore in itself...

07-19-2010 03:26:45 | More by Lolli1315
Chico1985

2.2/5  rDev -42.9%

Despite all the mixed reviews, I've been meaning to pick this up. Thanks to Steve for sharing!

Slightly hazy yellow/light orange, dusty sediment. White head retains fine and leaves a bit of lacing.

Lots of comments came up between the 4 of us upon smelling, but what I can remember is soap, urinal cakes and fruity stripe bubblegum. Pretty much. The beer did somehow redeem itself later on with more decent smells of pine, grassy hops.

Oof. Ok. Here we go. Stinging pine and lemon, pretty much Pine-Sol. Definitely vegetables, Cam got fresh peapods and cat piss. A little biscuity and peppery. The initial flavor just tastes so...wrong. This did seem to improve slightly over time, but man, something went wrong here.

I like English IPAs the way they are meant to be, maybe there's a reason they weren't over the top in the first place. It tastes so off and wrong. I love Stone, but they misfired here.

08-14-2010 13:34:51 | More by Chico1985
dhartogs

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured a nice orangish color, with a decent head. Nice smell, not too hoppy, well balanced citruis smell.

Now the taste. The first sip was OK, but then I let it linger and the after taste of strong grapfruit rind lingered and lingered to the point where it was un appealing. The more I drank the more bitter and dry my mouth got. I like hops but this was a bit too much, to the point where I could not finish this beer. Seems like it needed a litte more malt to balance this attack of grapefruit rind.

05-23-2011 17:11:21 | More by dhartogs
Ryan011235

2.28/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured into a snifter on 7/24/10

Brightly colored tangerine with swaths of gold highlights. Quite cloudy & dense, held to the light it has an almost neon glow. Poured one finger of white foam that held for a few minutes then dropped to an island of bubbles amid a skim of foam. Ok lacing thus far. Minimal retention throughout with sporadic blobs & splotches of lacing.

The aroma is rather unconventional, if not downright odd. It's a mixed bag of good & bad qualities, in my opinion. The Good: bright citrusy notes of lemon zest, orange peel & a hint of grapefruit; juicy & floral overtones & a suitable toasty malt backdrop that doesn't seem overpowering. The Bad: said citrus notes are way past ripe; very, very soapy; a touch of solvent & though seemingly not boozy, my nose is left with a harsh chemical-like agitation after lofty sniffs.

I wish I had purchased a hazmat suit along with this beer. I was hoping the chemical burn of the aroma was quarantined in the aroma. No such luck. From the very first sip this tastes of brutal solvency. Not as bad as, say, GUBNA, but this isn't at all pleasant. Some of the citric aspects carry over from the nose, but are muddled by the solvency & bordering on rotten. The citrus zestiness doesn't last long either, as the finish is engulfed in aspirin-like bitterness. Malts are far in the background. Seems like some toasted bread notes, but the potency of the hops dominates. Starts to taste medicinal as it warms.

Emperial IPA is basically medium bodied, maybe even a few clicks toward full bodied. Carbonation starts out at the mid-point of the spectrum (though it gets low by the end). A little grittiness is to be had. Alcohol heat is pretty well-hidden; warming with a very slight slickness. Finishes with the astringent aspirin bitterness mentioned above.

I would be inclined to go outside & fling this into the air but I'm afraid it would fuel the chemtrail conspiracy theorists & kill the grass, vegetation & any neighborhood animals that came across it. I will say it's less painful whilst cold, as well as the second pour (which is probably just a desensitization from the first pour). I will likely check this one out as time goes by, however; it's strangely alluring despite its flaws.

07-27-2010 01:53:00 | More by Ryan011235
chrispoint

Connecticut

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

02-03-2012 19:34:18 | More by chrispoint
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. I had this a couple days ago at a tasting but my palate wasn't up to snuff at that time so I didn't review it.

A - Golden with an orange hue. Big eggshell colored head. Lots of lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

S - Interesting aroma, different than anything else I've had before, maybe a little like a less pungent Gubna? Definitely a lot of herbal hop flavor and kind of reminds me a bit of a piece of cheese. Kind of smells a little salty.

T - Grassy/herbal type hop flavor up front before finishing with a flavor similar to grapefruit rind. Pretty bitter but the bitterness quickly fades and leaves a more subtle bitter flavor in the mouth. A little salty. Not much of a malt backbone in this one and while it has a hint of grapefruit flavor it doesn't have a sweet citrusy flavor. The more I drink the more I pick up the saltiness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Not really that great of a beer. I really dislike the saltiness and it just builds and builds as I drink this beer. My lips feel a bit dryed out like after taking a swim in the ocean. This beer is unique but not really all that great. If you can get a hold of this beer I think it is worth trying but I won't be picking up any more of this and will not be seeking it out again.

06-29-2010 00:50:36 | More by jpmclaug
pilotgod

Oklahoma

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from 22oz into a tulip.

I had two bottles brought to me in August straight from the brewery. Drank one that night, cellered the other one, but did it wrong and it started to skunk, so drank it while it was still saveable. The below is from notes on the first beer, which was in bottle for less than 72 hours.

A: When poured correctly into the tulip a pronounced head is left that will support the bottle cap. The head isn't going anywhere either leaves lacing all the way down that clings fast and doesn't slowly migrate down the glass. The beer is a hazy yellow, but a little darker than other IPA's, such as Stone's Ruination.

S: It's an IPA, so first off you smell hops, followed by more hops, then a little pine smell, followed by hops again. Once your olfactory senses have been sufficiently stunned into submission, other nuances of the beer become apparent such as citrus notes and some flower essences that I can't peg exactly. The effect is to definitely let you know this is an IPA, but nothing really stands out above the rest.

T: Citrusy and hoppy are the two best adjectives here. They both combine in equal amounts to give you a unique IPA taste. This is however, a lot lighter on the hops presence then one would expect from an Emperial IPA and especially from Stone. It comes across a bit reserved as if Stone pulled back at the last minute from making a more substantial IPA.

M: The feel is OK, but a bit over carbonated for an IPA, this combined by an overly dry feeling, leave me less than impressed.

D: The brew didn't live up to what I've come to expect from DIPA styles and from Stone. While I wouldn't turn a glass of this down, I wouldn't spend my own money on another bottle or glass. Instead, for a good IPA and Stone product, I would turn back to Ruination.

01-22-2011 22:58:02 | More by pilotgod
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Presentation: Split a bomber of this with a friend. My half was poured into a pint glass and served slightly chilled.

Appearance: Really light, straw yellow in color. Clear with absolutely no haze. I'm not used to an IPA with less little color. Two finger pillowy head head with good retention saves this from resembling an adjunct lager.

Aroma: Really heavy pine pitch. Not balanced pine, but really heavy, bitter pine pitch. So much herb and medicinal flavor. Not much in the way of malt to speak of.

Taste: The pine here is overwhelming and, frankly, unpleasant. I usually enjoy IPA's with some citrus rind and pine flavor, but this is more medicinal and woodsy. I would equate this to licking pine sap, and I don't find that pleasant.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice medium bodied mouthfeel and some good crispness, but I don't find it easy to sip on for some reason.

Drinkability: The ABV really is not that noticable, but the flavor is unrelenting. I had trouble finishing my half of the bottle and I know my friend had similar trouble.

Overall, this is was lackluster showing from Stone in my opinion. I almost always love their beers, but this was borderline undrinkable. Just consider me completely and utterly unimpressed by this. I hope they take a different direction for the next anniversary ale.

07-26-2010 03:39:22 | More by Gosox8787
ibbjamin

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Paid $5.99 for a bomber and poured into a pint glass to review.

Nice white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving behind a thin sheet of retention. Much rising carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very cloudy straw yellow in color. Nice lacing.

Aroma is of grain/wheat, citrusy/grassy hops, toasted malts. Rather mild aroma for this being just under 9%.

Taste is lemon citrus up front with a decent amount of sweetness coming from the balancing malts. Dank citrus hops that remind me a bit of freshly cut grass. Much more full flavored than my nose suggested.

Medium body, good carbonation, relatively thick and creamy.

Not a bad beer, but certainly not my favorite style. The grainy and citrus taste gets a bit overwhelming to me as I near the bottom of the bomber. As it warms more, this taste takes on an unpleasant soapy character and becomes a drainpour.

08-29-2010 22:51:27 | More by ibbjamin
Brew33

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Stone 14th Anniversary. Really excited to try this. Great concept and I love Blackheart so this is gonna be great. Or not...

The appearance is good. Slighly orange, slightly hazy. The aroma is weak. Slight Hoppiness. The flavor is odd to say the least. A ton of astringency. Medicinal. Like chewing a non-chewable vitamin. It's like they somehow managed to extract all the less than desireable flavors from a hop while leaving all the good ones behind. Very European hop flavor. I get none of the citrusy charcteristics some others describe.

Not a great beer. While I think it is probably a good interpretation of the style and I love the idea. It's pretty bad. Totally out of whack. Another Stone disappointment.

07-08-2010 01:00:15 | More by Brew33
stonermouse

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

I really like the look of this sucker. It pours an unexpected yellow with lots of haze. It actually looks a bit like a glass of grapfruit juice.

Not much grapfruit in the smell, however. The hop scent is on the citrus side, though, but didn't have much bite or impact.

The flavor changed a little bit throughout for me. The first few foamy sips had a bit of an oddly metallic aftertaste that was a bit off-putting. Once I got down into it, serious dry bitterness took over. This sucker sticks to the back of the tongue like Elmers. Ever eat fresh dandilions when you were an adventurous little kid? That's the sticky dryness we're talking about here. The good news is that the 8.9% is pretty well hidden. Believe it or not, though, the flavor is just mild enough and hoppy enough to hold my interest.

The mouthfeel would be much nicer if it wasn't so... so sticky. The head is nice and lingering, which makes each sip pleasant, if slightly metallic-y.

It's not drinkable so much as it's nice to look at. Not worth 6 bucks/bomber to just stare at a nicely-colored beer, however. On the flipside, it'll get you drunk without much booziness.

Not sure what to make of this beer. Stone's reputation is superb, so I'm left a little disappointed by the weird flavors of this one. The bottled date is June 2010, and it's September, but I'm not sure staleness was the issue here.

09-25-2010 01:38:21 | More by stonermouse
mentor

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a solid finger of light yellow fine head over a cloudy orange straw liquid. Smells pils hops, oranges, lemon, grassy rough cohumulone, woody english hops, and light bright lemon esters.

Tastes fruity english hop flavor (oranges, woody) with flat hop bitter (comes across as waxy). Liquid has some thickness but the malt washes away quickly due to the hop bitter and a fine rising carbonation. Dry as soon as the beer leaves the mouth leaving a stinging (from alcohol) aftertaste and a medicinal hoppy flavor hanging around unpleasantly. This beer is *not* drinkable. Md body and md carbonation.

07-09-2010 00:15:07 | More by mentor
OBeerMeGreatOne

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

From notes.
Look:Poured into a Duvel tulip.Light peachy gold with a decent head, minimal lacing with very visible carbonation.
Smell:Light floral and grassy hops with a slight, sweet malt background.
Taste:Very light for being such a big beer. Grassy hops are very noticable with not much of a malt background to round it out. Noticable alcohol content.
Mouth: Nice and light, not bad.
Drink:Won't pick up another. I like a lot of Stone's lineup but this one was a miss for me.

09-19-2010 20:25:21 | More by OBeerMeGreatOne
tectactoe

04-15-2014 16:24:04 | More by tectactoe
CONOR8832

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

A - Gold in color, good head, nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Lemon zest, citrusy smell, with a touch or earthiness. Not as hoppy as I would expect based on the style of beer.

T - Taste is very surprising malty sweetness followed up with an earthy bitterness.

M - Very crisp beer to start, and leaves a dry feel on the tounge.

D - Not my favorite brew from Stone. Very creative on their part in come up with a very one of a kind beer. But I feel there are better tasting beers in its class. Worth trying once, since this will be the last time that they make it.

08-03-2010 14:34:42 | More by CONOR8832
champ103

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color. At first a tow finger white head forms, but recedes in a second to a ring. Some nice sticky lace is left though.
S: Citrus and grassy hops up front. Herbal and medicinal. Slightly soapy with a lingering spicy aroma.
T: Very piny and resiny up front this time. Citrus lingers. Rough grainy malt that tries to balance everything out. Medicinal and soapy with a lingering spiciness. Very hot with an ethanol like quality.
M/D: A medium body with rough and prickly carbonation. Hot ethanol that is just rough. Hard to drink.

This did not do it for me. If Stone wants to imitate English brewers again, I say they make a beer that has more nuance and subtlety. This is somewhat crass, very rough, and unpleasant.

07-24-2010 23:02:36 | More by champ103
westcoastbeerlvr

11-14-2011 23:28:22 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
nickd717

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

On tap at Rose & Crown. Now I gave the bottled version a B+, but the tap version I had here was much wose.

Pours a very cloudy yellowish-greenish color, not too appealing-looking, with a small whitish head.

On the aroma, I get the same earthy and spicy English hops, but they're drowned out by the smells of soap and wet dog. Not great.

Sweet doughy malt on the flavor, with very earthy English hops and some wet leaves. Fairly hoppy.

Palate is a bit syrupy for my tastes. Medium-full body and medium-low carbonation.

Now I see why others didn't think highly of this beer. I did not enjoy this experience all that much. This is way better out of the bottle in my opinion.

08-27-2010 02:10:00 | More by nickd717
VaTechHopHead

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

A - Pretty light for a DIPA with an highly unfiltered light orange, deep yellow color. Alright white head that fades quickly with average lacing. No visible carbonation.

S - Very faint for a DIPA...super light on the hop aroma. It almost has a light lemon scent with flowers thrown in.

T - Again, not too heavy on the hops for a typical DIPA. The hops don't taste fresh and juicy but there are flavors of flowers, wood, grass/moss, and a black licorice/citrus combo finish. Definitely had better tasting DIPA's.

M/D - Nice medium body and lots of light carbonation. Sticky hops remain on the palate with a funky flower petal taste. Drinkability is a little low for me because the flavors seem confused and a little old.

Don't know when this one came out, maybe it was old/sat on the shelf too long, etc. but I was not impressed with this brew from Stone.

09-19-2010 21:52:26 | More by VaTechHopHead
projectflam86

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

A- Pours a cloudy yellow color with a medium white head that leaves a bit of lace. I know that IPAs are generally a little hazy but this one is difficult to see through even though it is light in color.

S- The nose is not as aromatic as I had expected. Little to no citrus aroma to be found and just a bit of herbal musk.

T- Well, the bitterness is there but it is completely lacking in terms of traditional IPA flavor (citrus, pine, floral). Just a very bitter, slightly boozy, rather boring brew. *Full disclaimer* I am huge fan of American IPAs and not so much a fan of English IPAs. I just prefer the citrusy bitterness of the C-hops over the Euro ones. This brew tastes like an overly bitter English IPA.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation.

D- When I heard that 14th was going to be a IIPA I was really excited to give it a try. IIPA + Stone is the perfect recipe for a killer brew but this one really let me down.

11-10-2010 23:09:13 | More by projectflam86
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.