Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros
2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. I had this a couple days ago at a tasting but my palate wasn't up to snuff at that time so I didn't review it.

A - Golden with an orange hue. Big eggshell colored head. Lots of lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

S - Interesting aroma, different than anything else I've had before, maybe a little like a less pungent Gubna? Definitely a lot of herbal hop flavor and kind of reminds me a bit of a piece of cheese. Kind of smells a little salty.

T - Grassy/herbal type hop flavor up front before finishing with a flavor similar to grapefruit rind. Pretty bitter but the bitterness quickly fades and leaves a more subtle bitter flavor in the mouth. A little salty. Not much of a malt backbone in this one and while it has a hint of grapefruit flavor it doesn't have a sweet citrusy flavor. The more I drink the more I pick up the saltiness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Not really that great of a beer. I really dislike the saltiness and it just builds and builds as I drink this beer. My lips feel a bit dryed out like after taking a swim in the ocean. This beer is unique but not really all that great. If you can get a hold of this beer I think it is worth trying but I won't be picking up any more of this and will not be seeking it out again.

jpmclaug, Jun 29, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from 22oz into a tulip.

I had two bottles brought to me in August straight from the brewery. Drank one that night, cellered the other one, but did it wrong and it started to skunk, so drank it while it was still saveable. The below is from notes on the first beer, which was in bottle for less than 72 hours.

A: When poured correctly into the tulip a pronounced head is left that will support the bottle cap. The head isn't going anywhere either leaves lacing all the way down that clings fast and doesn't slowly migrate down the glass. The beer is a hazy yellow, but a little darker than other IPA's, such as Stone's Ruination.

S: It's an IPA, so first off you smell hops, followed by more hops, then a little pine smell, followed by hops again. Once your olfactory senses have been sufficiently stunned into submission, other nuances of the beer become apparent such as citrus notes and some flower essences that I can't peg exactly. The effect is to definitely let you know this is an IPA, but nothing really stands out above the rest.

T: Citrusy and hoppy are the two best adjectives here. They both combine in equal amounts to give you a unique IPA taste. This is however, a lot lighter on the hops presence then one would expect from an Emperial IPA and especially from Stone. It comes across a bit reserved as if Stone pulled back at the last minute from making a more substantial IPA.

M: The feel is OK, but a bit over carbonated for an IPA, this combined by an overly dry feeling, leave me less than impressed.

D: The brew didn't live up to what I've come to expect from DIPA styles and from Stone. While I wouldn't turn a glass of this down, I wouldn't spend my own money on another bottle or glass. Instead, for a good IPA and Stone product, I would turn back to Ruination.

pilotgod, Jan 22, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Presentation: Split a bomber of this with a friend. My half was poured into a pint glass and served slightly chilled.

Appearance: Really light, straw yellow in color. Clear with absolutely no haze. I'm not used to an IPA with less little color. Two finger pillowy head head with good retention saves this from resembling an adjunct lager.

Aroma: Really heavy pine pitch. Not balanced pine, but really heavy, bitter pine pitch. So much herb and medicinal flavor. Not much in the way of malt to speak of.

Taste: The pine here is overwhelming and, frankly, unpleasant. I usually enjoy IPA's with some citrus rind and pine flavor, but this is more medicinal and woodsy. I would equate this to licking pine sap, and I don't find that pleasant.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice medium bodied mouthfeel and some good crispness, but I don't find it easy to sip on for some reason.

Drinkability: The ABV really is not that noticable, but the flavor is unrelenting. I had trouble finishing my half of the bottle and I know my friend had similar trouble.

Overall, this is was lackluster showing from Stone in my opinion. I almost always love their beers, but this was borderline undrinkable. Just consider me completely and utterly unimpressed by this. I hope they take a different direction for the next anniversary ale.

Gosox8787, Jul 26, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Paid $5.99 for a bomber and poured into a pint glass to review.

Nice white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving behind a thin sheet of retention. Much rising carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very cloudy straw yellow in color. Nice lacing.

Aroma is of grain/wheat, citrusy/grassy hops, toasted malts. Rather mild aroma for this being just under 9%.

Taste is lemon citrus up front with a decent amount of sweetness coming from the balancing malts. Dank citrus hops that remind me a bit of freshly cut grass. Much more full flavored than my nose suggested.

Medium body, good carbonation, relatively thick and creamy.

Not a bad beer, but certainly not my favorite style. The grainy and citrus taste gets a bit overwhelming to me as I near the bottom of the bomber. As it warms more, this taste takes on an unpleasant soapy character and becomes a drainpour.

ibbjamin, Aug 29, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Stone 14th Anniversary. Really excited to try this. Great concept and I love Blackheart so this is gonna be great. Or not...

The appearance is good. Slighly orange, slightly hazy. The aroma is weak. Slight Hoppiness. The flavor is odd to say the least. A ton of astringency. Medicinal. Like chewing a non-chewable vitamin. It's like they somehow managed to extract all the less than desireable flavors from a hop while leaving all the good ones behind. Very European hop flavor. I get none of the citrusy charcteristics some others describe.

Not a great beer. While I think it is probably a good interpretation of the style and I love the idea. It's pretty bad. Totally out of whack. Another Stone disappointment.

Brew33, Jul 08, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

I really like the look of this sucker. It pours an unexpected yellow with lots of haze. It actually looks a bit like a glass of grapfruit juice.

Not much grapfruit in the smell, however. The hop scent is on the citrus side, though, but didn't have much bite or impact.

The flavor changed a little bit throughout for me. The first few foamy sips had a bit of an oddly metallic aftertaste that was a bit off-putting. Once I got down into it, serious dry bitterness took over. This sucker sticks to the back of the tongue like Elmers. Ever eat fresh dandilions when you were an adventurous little kid? That's the sticky dryness we're talking about here. The good news is that the 8.9% is pretty well hidden. Believe it or not, though, the flavor is just mild enough and hoppy enough to hold my interest.

The mouthfeel would be much nicer if it wasn't so... so sticky. The head is nice and lingering, which makes each sip pleasant, if slightly metallic-y.

It's not drinkable so much as it's nice to look at. Not worth 6 bucks/bomber to just stare at a nicely-colored beer, however. On the flipside, it'll get you drunk without much booziness.

Not sure what to make of this beer. Stone's reputation is superb, so I'm left a little disappointed by the weird flavors of this one. The bottled date is June 2010, and it's September, but I'm not sure staleness was the issue here.

stonermouse, Sep 25, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a solid finger of light yellow fine head over a cloudy orange straw liquid. Smells pils hops, oranges, lemon, grassy rough cohumulone, woody english hops, and light bright lemon esters.

Tastes fruity english hop flavor (oranges, woody) with flat hop bitter (comes across as waxy). Liquid has some thickness but the malt washes away quickly due to the hop bitter and a fine rising carbonation. Dry as soon as the beer leaves the mouth leaving a stinging (from alcohol) aftertaste and a medicinal hoppy flavor hanging around unpleasantly. This beer is *not* drinkable. Md body and md carbonation.

mentor, Jul 09, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

From notes.
Look:Poured into a Duvel tulip.Light peachy gold with a decent head, minimal lacing with very visible carbonation.
Smell:Light floral and grassy hops with a slight, sweet malt background.
Taste:Very light for being such a big beer. Grassy hops are very noticable with not much of a malt background to round it out. Noticable alcohol content.
Mouth: Nice and light, not bad.
Drink:Won't pick up another. I like a lot of Stone's lineup but this one was a miss for me.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Sep 19, 2010

tectactoe, Apr 15, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

A - Gold in color, good head, nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Lemon zest, citrusy smell, with a touch or earthiness. Not as hoppy as I would expect based on the style of beer.

T - Taste is very surprising malty sweetness followed up with an earthy bitterness.

M - Very crisp beer to start, and leaves a dry feel on the tounge.

D - Not my favorite brew from Stone. Very creative on their part in come up with a very one of a kind beer. But I feel there are better tasting beers in its class. Worth trying once, since this will be the last time that they make it.

CONOR8832, Aug 03, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color. At first a tow finger white head forms, but recedes in a second to a ring. Some nice sticky lace is left though.
S: Citrus and grassy hops up front. Herbal and medicinal. Slightly soapy with a lingering spicy aroma.
T: Very piny and resiny up front this time. Citrus lingers. Rough grainy malt that tries to balance everything out. Medicinal and soapy with a lingering spiciness. Very hot with an ethanol like quality.
M/D: A medium body with rough and prickly carbonation. Hot ethanol that is just rough. Hard to drink.

This did not do it for me. If Stone wants to imitate English brewers again, I say they make a beer that has more nuance and subtlety. This is somewhat crass, very rough, and unpleasant.

champ103, Jul 25, 2010

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 14, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

On tap at Rose & Crown. Now I gave the bottled version a B+, but the tap version I had here was much wose.

Pours a very cloudy yellowish-greenish color, not too appealing-looking, with a small whitish head.

On the aroma, I get the same earthy and spicy English hops, but they're drowned out by the smells of soap and wet dog. Not great.

Sweet doughy malt on the flavor, with very earthy English hops and some wet leaves. Fairly hoppy.

Palate is a bit syrupy for my tastes. Medium-full body and medium-low carbonation.

Now I see why others didn't think highly of this beer. I did not enjoy this experience all that much. This is way better out of the bottle in my opinion.

nickd717, Aug 27, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

A - Pretty light for a DIPA with an highly unfiltered light orange, deep yellow color. Alright white head that fades quickly with average lacing. No visible carbonation.

S - Very faint for a DIPA...super light on the hop aroma. It almost has a light lemon scent with flowers thrown in.

T - Again, not too heavy on the hops for a typical DIPA. The hops don't taste fresh and juicy but there are flavors of flowers, wood, grass/moss, and a black licorice/citrus combo finish. Definitely had better tasting DIPA's.

M/D - Nice medium body and lots of light carbonation. Sticky hops remain on the palate with a funky flower petal taste. Drinkability is a little low for me because the flavors seem confused and a little old.

Don't know when this one came out, maybe it was old/sat on the shelf too long, etc. but I was not impressed with this brew from Stone.

VaTechHopHead, Sep 19, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

A- Pours a cloudy yellow color with a medium white head that leaves a bit of lace. I know that IPAs are generally a little hazy but this one is difficult to see through even though it is light in color.

S- The nose is not as aromatic as I had expected. Little to no citrus aroma to be found and just a bit of herbal musk.

T- Well, the bitterness is there but it is completely lacking in terms of traditional IPA flavor (citrus, pine, floral). Just a very bitter, slightly boozy, rather boring brew. *Full disclaimer* I am huge fan of American IPAs and not so much a fan of English IPAs. I just prefer the citrusy bitterness of the C-hops over the Euro ones. This brew tastes like an overly bitter English IPA.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation.

D- When I heard that 14th was going to be a IIPA I was really excited to give it a try. IIPA + Stone is the perfect recipe for a killer brew but this one really let me down.

projectflam86, Nov 10, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a deuce-deuce (22 oz. bottle) into a beer taster.

Appearance: Cloudy pale golden color with moderate carbonation visible through the murky liquid. Head settles to a thin layer of foam on the surface of the beer and leaves moderate lacing on the way down.

Smell: There's a great deal of pungent citrus (lemon/lime/grapefruit) in the initial scent. Certainly a floral hop element, and even some light breadiness towards the end. From the scent, I could see it pairing with Indian/Pakistani cuisine or fishy seafood quite nicely. No unpleasantness.

Taste: Slightly repugnant. The scent is superbly misleading. First sip yields bitter nastiness. Burned popcorn and heavy fusel-type alcohol flavors battle voraciously, while a nearly cloying sweetness (of caramel malt, perhaps) creates a layer of strangeness underneath it all. Aftertaste is bitter and pungent. Not my favorite take on an IPA of any kind.

Mouthfeel: Lightly hop-oiled, ample carbonation, slightly chewy. Leaves a light coating upon imbibation.

Drinkability: I fear I may have to offer this as a libation to the beer-gods.

My only regret is that I drank the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid first tonight. *Sigh* if I could turn back time.

Lauthaha, Jan 16, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Thanks to Akorsak for this one.

I've been wanting to try this since it came out. I've been lucky enough to try all the Stone Anniversary going back to Stone 8 (albiet some have had a little age on them) and they have all been good to great. Poured a double deuce into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a hazy, orangey-straw with a decent sized 2inch head that leaves just a bit of lacing down the sides of the glass as it disappears from my glass. The nose is a bit jumbled. Orange pith, old cut grass, dried herbs, a nice floral aspect all tied together with aspirin. Everything is rather distinct and doesn't interplay very well. The flavor is abrasive. The first sip reminds me of chewing a aspirin while sucking on a grapefruit peel. Floral hops open up on the palate after it warms but that medicinal herbal hop presences is really distinct. Behind the layers and layers of full frontal hops is a nice biscuity malt backbone. Wish it would have been amped up just a bit. The mouthfeel is very menthol. It seems like it almost cools the palate with every sip. Over all this has been my least favorite of the series. I think I'll go drink a 12 to get over this.

hwwty4, Nov 05, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

I gotta say this was a bit disappointing to me. I absolutely love Stone, and maybe my expectations were to high, but for an Imperial IPA, it seems off.

On looks alone it does look very enticing, but doesn't look like an imperial IPA. Looks more like Belgian, with a nice slowly dissolving frothy head.

The scent of hops is decent, and there are hints of citrus in the nose.

Has a bit of a buttery feel on the tongue, but does have a nice IPA dryness to it.

I am still a fan of Stone and they're one of my favorite breweries, but to me, this is not one of their best offerings. Maybe my expectations were just too high, I dunno?

WillieMoe, Aug 03, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into an over sized English pint glass.

Noteworthy, the beer did gush upon opening.

Appearance- Beer pours clear and amber golden with a huge head of foam. Head is quite impressive, rises and coats the sides of the glass leaving ample lacing on the sides.

Smell- Something smells not English about this IPA, there's a Belgian smell here that seems a bit off. Strong English style noble hops which I'm sure is exactly what they were going for. Earthy and grassy. Malt is bready and may provide enough backbone for the aging that many are sure to do, me included.

Taste- This strange Belgian thing is going on still, it isn't entirely welcome in an English IPA. The noble hops are here, the stone yeast (if they even use a standard yeast strain) is there. The beer attempts to be solid but there is just something very off that I just can't pinpoint, and perhaps it's over hopping, perhaps the bottle is infected as it was a gusher.

Mouthfeel- Resiny, hoppy, overly bittering, not entirely warming which is a plus considering the gravity, highly carbonated, medium bodied.

Drinkability- Unfortunately I will have to drink my 2nd bottle at some time, I hope by then it is more drinkable. I can't recommend this fresh at all.

blakesell, Jul 14, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26%

Most disappointing from Stone. They are one of my favorite breweries, and I generally consider anything I get there to be a shoe-in. But this was pretty lousy. The beer itself was not a tragedy, but at 10 bucks, I expect better than average. It poured a very transparent yellow, with plenty of foam. Some hops registered on the olfactory detectors, but some other musky sour bitter rot did as well. I like bitter, but not combined with whatever mean musk rolled off this puppy. The taste matched. It felt cheap, with some hops plunged in.

andrewm190, Aug 01, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26%

Hops dominate the smell: Grape fruits, resin, fruity lemon sourness, pineapples. Some chemical solvents and a touch of garlic. It is not as sweet/malty as some DIPAs are.

The colour is bright yellow/orange. The liquid is cloudy, some yeast particles floats in the liquid (the beer was carefully decanted) The three finger head is compact and white with a tint of yellow. Some lacing and a ring occurs when the foam slowly sinks down.

The taste is dry and very bitter. Notes of fresh fruits (apples, pineapples, lemon, lime, apricots) and some vegetables. Hints of spices; mainly pepper and garlic. The body is low. The aftertaste is short and a bit sour with some growing bitter citric flavours.

The carbonation is medium; the small bubbles are strong. The liquid is a bit creamy.

Probably the driest and least malty DIPA I have had so far. I am quite disappointed, I had expected more from this one.

bark, Dec 10, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle tried 15 Aug 2010. Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Large foamy slightly yellow head. Moderate carbonation. Hazy toasted yellow corn color. Aroma is reminiscent of apples, floral, roses, slightly medicinal. Flavor starts somewhat soapy. Bitter. Some apple cideriness to it. Strong hop profile, quite medicinally-aspirin bitter throughout. Grapefruit pith bitterness in the finish and aftertaste. Medium body. Warming alcohol.

Not sure what hop variety gives the aspirin bitterness but it is unappealing.

htomsirveaux, Jan 23, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Third time having this one, was the best by far on-tap about a month ago. This bottle is a bit better than the last one I had, which tasted like peas and urinal cakes.

A- Hazy golden yellow with a fizzy white cap that has low retention and leaves a small cloud and ring behind. Very small amount of lace.

S- A lot going on here, not a huge fan. Upon opening I got some nice tropical, citrus and earthy hop notes. Then it went all over. I do soapy, grassy and light sweet-caramel malt notes. There is also an odd, musty chessy hint hidden in there, it becomes distracting.

T- The foremost thing I get is a mix of overly earthy-grassy-spicy hops with sweet light malt. Too much hop flavor, getting sick of this trend. It just gets messy. Citrus-zest also blasts the palate. The end product is an overly bitter, almost soapy beer. I understand what is English here but it is Americanized, I see why the English keep their hops in check for the most part.

MF- Huge bitterness. Light body with nice creaminess. High, smooth carbonation. Slightly warm.

DB- I am sick of this trend but I can still drink this one decently, I am too forgiving to food and drink. Sadly this is the first Stone beer I have to say I didn't enjoy a lot. A blast of hops that feels messy and unbalanced, probably gonna get me some Ruination to make me forget this one.

cbutova, Aug 31, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Had this on 2010-07-23 in Lynchburg, VA from a 22 oz bomber.

A - Very hazy gold with a 1-finger white head

S - Tangerine and sour bread

T - Medium roasted grain, lots of bitterness and an oily resins are impinged by strong pepper and a stoney, mineral flavor. The alcohol is pretty apparent. The aftertaste has a bitter back bite but with a little sweetness. I like hops a lot, but this seems too strident and coupled with the strong black pepper, it wasn't an appealling taste to me.

M - Silky with medium body and carbonation

D - Nope. One was enough. It's an odd tasting beer. Hooray for experimentation. I love Stone beers but not this one.

Tucquan, Jul 31, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. The beer is a cloudy golden color, with no head. The beer has aromas of hops and flora. Initial hop forward bitter flavor, with sharp citrus undertone. There are bits of spice hidden underneath the heavy initial flavors, but very subtle. The beer is light and crisp in mouth, with a sour citrus finish. Aftertaste is mostly sour, with slight bitter hops blend. The beer is a bit unbalanced, and the strong flavors make this a "one and done."

GarthDanielson, Dec 30, 2010
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.