Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros

sittin' around the cellar for some time now, I thought I would pull one of these out to see how it was doing.

eyes...
audible sizzle fizz, one full finger of head (the craggy soapy kind), hazy straw color with a good amount of carbonation running through, the head settles in a hurry into your typical O-ring configuration, no lacing to speak of, minimal legs, so far this is far from impressive

nose...
piney hops with some malt backing, not too much else, I bet it has calmed down from being set down

taste etc...
for as much carbonation as seen in the glass it barely seems detectable in the sip, also, there is barely any flavor here, kind of a mild orange flavor with almost zero bitterness, there is some of the ABV felt in the gullet. This is a tamed tiger. It drinks really easy in this form but I would not recommend it to highly. This has been perfectly cellar kept since the release (no sunlight, no anything).

verdict?
this one has definitely lost its punch

A - Light orange with a bit of haze in there. Nice white fluffy heady. A very clean looking IPA.

S - Lots of sweet caramel malt notes mixed in with pine and citrus hop aroma. There is a lot of West Coast in this glass blended nicely with the English malts. A Very interesting aroma.

T - Definitely a British style beer. Lots of malt character mixed nicely with that Stone hop character of bitterness and pine. A nice balance overall but nothing mind blowing.

D - I would definitely seek this one out again but with that said it is not the best Stone brewed IPA I have had. Its an interesting mix of the two style but ultimately comes up a bit short of being a great beer.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Pours a hazy orange-gold with a thin creamy ivory head. Nice retention, leaves spotty lacing.
S - Pungent hops of pine resin and grapefruit with a sweet toffee malt backbone. Slightly subdued.
T - Begins with pungent herbal and citrus hops followed by the sweet cracker malt. Very intense bitter finish that's not entirely pleasant to me. Not my favorite hop profile.
M - Sticky with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Alcohol really makes it's presence known as this one warms.
D - Not my favorite Stone offering, but it's a cool concept that I respect. Glad I tried it, had to struggle through the bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, a small hop, but actually quite mild. In the taste, a nice bitter hop and quite malty. A bitter and medium bodied mouthfeel and a small bite and dry maltiness in the aftertaste. Very English like, kind of lame for Stone, OK nonetheless.

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a hazy yellow amber color that is accompanied by a thick and unrelenting head. I'm really trying to, but can't find much to the aroma. I get a little grassy greeniness, maybe a hint of sticky hop residue. Smell is not overly floral or piney though. Taste is actually pretty clean and crisp. Not much malt, no yeast, just hops. But not many of those either. Mouthfeel and drinkability are OK. This rendition seems a bit reserved, but maybe that was by design. Still a well constructed brew.

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours orange with a full white head, very good retention, leaving nice lace.

S: Melon rind, hint of white pepper, green smelling.

T: Extremely bitter pine and grass flavours overall. Malt is very mild. Lots of bitter melon, white grapefruit, and pine.

M: Medium/full-bodied, sticky, resiny. Hoppy long aftertaste.

D: An OK DIPA, but for me it was just bitter without a complexity in the hop character which made me disinterested as I drank the beer. I always try the Stone Anniversaries, but I don't think I'll pick this up again, I like the overall idea though.

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

Hazy yellow orange body, extremely cloudy, with a strong 2 finger head. Lots of lacing and rather good looking by any standards.

The nose is piny and earthy english hops. The malt is really lost in that mix of hops.

Hop forward english piny and earthy...really odd. The malt is heavy and alcoholic. It's sweet but hard to really pick up a flavor there.

Thicker than I like for even a double IPA. A reason Runination is a master piece. Listed at just under 9%, I would have expected closer to 10%.

It's a drinkable beer dispite a few flaws and my general preference towards American hops.

A very interesting spin on this style. It isn't 13 year or 12 or 11 or 10....or 9 for that matter, but it's still a good beer.

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle, served in an English-style pint glass

A - two+ fingers of very puffy and creamy, just slightly off-white foam. seems to be taking hold and fighting valiantly on its way down. the beer is light gold, and very hazy - wondering if this will clear up after warming a bit (***). clingy, sticky lace left down the glass most of the way.

S - bright citrus (melons, pineapple, hint of banana) and grassy hops. sharp crackery malts cut through - almost pilsener-like. lemon picks up, and finishes with a bit of floral and perfume.

T - ridiculously sharp grassy hops, to the point of being overwhelming. other flavors struggle to make it through: lemon zest, pine-sol, pine needles, and perfume...no balance whatsoever. unable to pickout exactly what it reminds me of until I saw in another review: urinal cakes.

M - lightish body with assertive and prickly carbonation, just a flash of creaminess before finishing very dry...lingering alcohol, grass, and pine.

D - i wanted to like this one - too similar to Ruination, which I just cannot wrap my head around. hop-head here, but this has ZERO balance, and a pretty unpleasant hop profile to match. struggling to make it through half a glass here.

edit - ok, ill admit it is slightly growing on me...

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

22 oz bottle poured into an emperial pint. 8.9% ABV, June 2010, "Consume when fresh or age in the hull of a seafaring vessel for a year or more."

A - I watched helplessly as tiny particles rushed from the bottle into my beer. Luckily their damage didn't amount to much as it remained a mostly clear goldenrod yellow color. Lots of carbonation kept the well-retained white head alive for sometime. Chunky lace clung to the glass pretty well too!

S - Distinctly different, English hops populate the aroma with a blend of both grass, freshly cut, and a squirt of lemon juice with a light hint of pineapple. Sweet crystal and pale malts back the aroma up very nicely offering good balance without distracting from the hops.

T - Something must have changed between the aroma and flavor as it's much less attractive now. Maybe I was better off setting this beer to sea... Sharply and overly bitter, grassy and earthy flavors with a bit of cardboard aren't very appealing. The sweet backing malts in the aroma turn dry and flakey like a biscuit without butter. A small pinch of lemon and pineapple citrus makes it's way in but certainly not enough. Burtonized water is pretty big in this beer too. Lots of minerals and salt present.

M - Sharp carbonation brings a lively feel to this medium-bodied English IPA while a dry, incredibly bitter finish changes it up quite a bit. Much too dry and very bitter for my liking. Strange that I don't particularly enjoy THIS bitterness but love overly hopped American IPAs.

D - I'm determined to finish this bottle and have it change my mind about the beer. It isn't a half-bad beer, I just can't get into the flavor profile or large bitterness. Definitely one of my least favorite Stone brews to date.

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Bomber to wine glass. Reviewed upon it's arrival to PA.

A: Pours with a one and a half finger foamy/frothy white head. Decent retention. The light persimmon colored body is bright and richly radiant thanks to it's haziness. Sixty percent opacity. Mediocre lacing.

S: Only British ingredients were used in the making of this brew (minus Colorado River water) and given the aroma/flavor profile, it comes as no surprise. Above average amount of toasted malts: Bread, biscuits and grain. The harsh hop bill is dominated by pine, and reinforced by sawdust and grass. The yeast contributes a healthy does of must and sweat.

T: Impressive? Sure. Great? No. Nothing new is presented on the palate that I wasn't aware of or couldn't have predicted from the nose. As Stone brews have been accused of before, this here is a one-trick pony.

M: One of the fullest and creamiest DIPAs I've ever had. And then? THEN the carbonation mercilessly decimates the taste buds while the hop bitterness sears off no less than 10% of my tongue. This is a real PALATE CRUSHER. Seriously. I felt like beating up my girlfriend after the ass-whooping that was handed down to me.

D: Even though I don't think this is particularly good beer, I applaud Stone for their inventiveness, their goal and their execution. The 14th Anniversary is EXACTLY what a Stone E(I)mperial IPA should be like. Quite literally.

22oz poured into pint.

A: Light golden color. One-finger head. Medium carbonation.

S: Very strange smell. Earthy, grassy. Different than any beer I have ever smelled before.

T: Grassy continues. Long, lingering, bitter, earthy aftertaste. Unlike any beer I have ever had.

M: Smooth and properly carbonated.

D: Not for me. I ended up gulping my half down.

This beer seems like it didn't know what it was up to in life. I will not buy another one.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color with a finger of fluffy foam.

Smell: Floral hops at first followed by a blue cheese aroma.

Taste: Bitter hops and grapefruit. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a bitey finish.

Drinkability: I usually enjoy Stone beers and their Anniversary beers. I might try this on draft, but I'm thinking I might pass on it in the bottle again.

What a weird beer.

Pours hazy orange with a fluffy soapy head and a lively stream of carbonation. The aroma is strange, with a lemony edge, but a peculiar uriney odor that is not pleasant. The flavor strong and musky, still with that strange urinish character. Weird that it is tolerable. The flavor is deep and bitter, like orange rind - musky and earthy. Deeply bitter, almost overwhelmingly.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

I got this bottle at the Common Market and the Flying Saucer in Charlotte.
Pours a faint yellow amber body with a thick, froathy head.
Smells of obvious east kent goldings and dry herbal hoppiness.
Tastes of citrus, pine and huge grassy notes with some dry malts that taste more like rye than any other grain. The finish is EXTREMELY dry and almost like sand. It's amazingly bittering and very very dry.
Drinkablity is up for debate but the dryness is more than most of my beer drinking advocates can even handle, I don't hate it but it's very hard to drink alot of it. I think this beer will be very nice in about 5-6 months after mellowing out.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Okay, sweet label awesome story of why the famous west coast Stone Brewery wants to go all English Imperial aka Emperial on us. But it's a hard sell from the notion of an aggessive English IPA, that's an oxymoron to me. Body pours a glowing slightly clouded bright yellow orange hue apricot I guess...head forms thick bright white head fine sticky lacing clings to the sides of my chalice.

Prickly citrus rinds hits the nares with a touch of alcohol and a spicy yeast component, pretty intense nose so far. Sweet melon and a touch of peppery funky yeast edges collide, this is a strange brew for me.

Flavor hits with so much bitterness the English hops in American doses cause much abrasive qualities on the palate. It's like a burning citrus hop tequila, it burns the back of the throat and the nares and earthy, grapefruit, harsh herbal hops hit the palate like a sledgehammer. I usually find some sense of finesse from brewers at Stone even when their concept is as intense as this. I want a bit of balance to go with the massive hop bill then I want some nice English malts to fight back to create some nice balanced acceptable flavors. Not until the last pour did I get more malt and breads with the spicy/grapefruit/herbal/earthy hop bomb, too little too late.

Mouthfeel I'm getting hop chunks in this one that I literally had to chew on towards the end of the bottle. Carbonation is agressive upfront but not overdone body is medium to full definitely an aggressive palate wrecker of a beer, I have this beer and the other Stone alternative IPAs right down the street from me.

Drinkability is a rough subject as the beer starts to get more approachable and your palate is ready for the onslaught of hops, it begins to feel like I'm chewing on this beer it's one of the hardest 22 ounce bottles from Stone I've ever consumed. It reminds me of te first year that Sam Adams made an Imperial Hallertau hopped pilsner, it was pure hop insanity in a German sense...well, this is it's English brethren.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a small frothy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Pineapple, grassy hops, slightly soapy.

T: Pungent hop taste with citrus up front followed by a heavy, spicy dose of pine.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Sticky.

D: Interesting and well-made, but I'm not in love with this one. Worth a try.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy and murky with a golden yellow color, poured with a rich head. Smell- complex. At 100 IBU I have to say this is too bitter for my taste, but there is a richness there that everyone must step up and recognize. Wouldn't go back for this one, I much prefer the Ruination. However, that night I dreamed that I was drinking this and the hops were so strong that it made me sneeze. Points for puncturing my subconscious.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.