2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010)
Ratings: 741 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
ehammond1

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

On Tap

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Murky, hazy orange, auburn, and copper with a thin white head. Lines of lacing down the glass.

Grapefruit, orange, and pine aromas dominate along with an earthy and floral scent from the hops. Very little malt character. By far, my favorite aspect of this beer.

The flavor is hoppy, though not particularly bright, floral, citrusy, or for that matter, enjoyable. The flavors seem muddled together and focus on the earthy (even dirt-like) flavors as opposed to the bright citrus ones found in the aroma.

Medium to thick bodied.

Not one of my favorite offerings from Stone, though not a bad beer by any means. I wish I'd sought this one out when fresh.

09-29-2011 04:59:08 | More by ehammond1
Knapp85

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer was poured out as a lightly hazy golden color, the head was pretty thick and left behind a good lacing too. The smell of the has a great amount of hops on the nose, giving off a piney citrus aroma that to me smell really good. The taste of the beer follows up with the smell. The flavors of citrus fruits and some pine blend together to make a very flavorful IPA. The mouthfeel is smooth and has a dry tingly feeling. Overall I really enjoyed this brew. Looking forward to the next Anniversary.

07-07-2011 18:14:31 | More by Knapp85
orangesol

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden into a nonic pint.

A - Pours hazy sunkist orange with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of pungent grassy hops, lightly toasted malt, bright citric fruits; most notably grapefruit and orange peel; and some light booze. Very bright and refreshing nose.

T - Lots of bright grassy hops up front giving way slowly to a mix of light malt, citric fruits, and plenty of pine resin. The viscous resiny feel is very strong, wearing on the pallet quickly. Finish is mostly sticky resin with plenty of lingering hop bitterness. Not bad, good not great.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sticky, resiny, feel with plenty of it lingering throughout the finish. The booze is light at the beginning, getting a bit stronger as it warms.

O - Not too bad. This one is definitely a sipper. I enjoyed the strong hop presence but the lingering sticky pine resin feel really wore me down quickly. I could have one of these but that is it.

03-30-2011 18:41:22 | More by orangesol
CuriousMonk

4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft at Fireworks Pizza in VA. Poured into a tulip glass. Pours slightly hazy glowing orange with a beautiful and foamy white head. Aroma is super citrusy hops, hints of mango, tangerine, grapefruit, very resiny and juicy with a touch of wood and floral notes. Flavor is again citrusy, juicy fruits with mango and orange, some caramel candies with a little bit of a booziness with the citric and fresh hop oils. Sticky sweet medium full body and a moderate carbonation. Very nice Imperial IPA, balanced and freshly hoppy!

03-23-2011 19:41:21 | More by CuriousMonk
armock

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a hazy yellow color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is a nose full of citrus hops with some malt

T - Like the nose starts with lots of citrus hops upfront then the malt comes out a little and finishes with a hint of alcohol

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Overall this was a pretty enjoyable beer that tastes good but not really a beer that I want to drink more than one of in a sitting worth grabbing to try if you still see it around

01-09-2011 21:15:45 | More by armock
stingrayvr6

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this on tap at Local 44. Poured into a tulip, showed a clear yellow gold with a frothy white head. Good retention. Smell grassy and dry with hop bitterness, some light bready malts. Taste light and dry up front with typically stone finish in the back. Good but somehow not as good an IPA as their standard IPA or Ruination.

12-18-2010 17:31:12 | More by stingrayvr6
DNICE555

Connecticut

On tap at Eli's for the stone brewery tasting with Jlynn and her awesome parents. This one pours an interesting hazy orange color. Smells like fresh hops. The taste is boom bang slammin with lots of grapefruit bitterness. I've had this one in a bottle and enjoyed it so I'm glad I got to have it on tap. Jlynn's dad and I finished our pints very quickly and I would have had another if I didn't want to try the 10-10-10 as well. Love stone.

10-28-2010 17:55:45 | More by DNICE555
SkunkWorks

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Had on tap at the Total Tap Takeover Tour at the Rattle n Hum in NYC. Served in a pint glass.

Look: hazy straw color with a little orange. Big off white head that leaves a good deal of lacing behind.

Smell: hops dominate, obviously. Citrus, pine, and earthy hops are present.

Taste: citrus hop flavors followed by toasted malts. There's no alcohol taste.

Feel: medium bodied. Carbonation is fairly light.

Drink: drinkable but not exceptionally drinkable. I think this is a case of it being sessionable but why would you want to?

Overall, this is decent but it is not in the same league as Ruination IPA. Not even close. Worth a try though if you get a chance.

10-04-2010 13:07:32 | More by SkunkWorks
cwc

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this on draft in Tokyo Japan at Beer Saurus, a bar in Ikebukuro with 50% off happy hour on all draft beers.

A very golden yellow color, maybe more golden than yellow. It came with a substantial head and I liked that the head stuck to the side of the glass as I drank it.

It smelled rather sweet to me. Taste was a citrusy, grapefruit like flavor, and when I smelled it again this came out in the smell. A very refreshing beer that masks the alcohol content rather disturbingly well, at least on draft. Unfortunately, that this beer could hide that 8.9% ABV made it appear to be sessionable. Let's just say that alcohol sneaks up on you if you have more than one of these!

I probably won't drink this again, as I'll likely never see it again in Japan, but I was pleased to have the opportunity to enjoy this beer. Recommended, particularly on tap.

09-05-2010 03:06:51 | More by cwc
mithrascruor

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Callahan's, San Diego.

Not realizing that this was the same as the Emperial IPA, I had this again, but on-tap.

Pours a cloudy dark er hay/amber color. Nice off-white head that's slightly creamy and has great retention - practically nitro-style. Has a mellow aroma, with some citrus and sugars. Flavor of rustic grains and some hops spices. There's also a noticeable hint of alcohol, but n ot too strong. Slightly sour citrus finish. Medium-bodied and mostly smooth, but with a slight bit of grainy-ness.

Much, much better on tap than in the bottle, as the flavors seem to be more mellowed-out here. Still, hardly my favorite, as there's almost too much going on here, but not bad.

09-03-2010 00:33:52 | More by mithrascruor
AleWatcher

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

I had a bomber of this, but didn't get around to reviewing it. I found it on tap and had to give it a try...

Poured a hazy golden color with a nearly white head of 2 fingers. The head had great retention and leaves some nice lace behind as well.

The smell is slightly sweet-- then pure Stone hoppiness. Big, bold, clean, and crisp. I'm surprised they call it an "English" version-- this fits the American style in my opinion. The hops are citrus and pine with huge bitterness. Very drinkable-- I'll go ahead and be that guy who admits that a kit of Stone's IPAs seem to forget about flavor and instead go for assertive bitterness and over hopped punchiness.

The light sweetnes fits the big hoppiness perfectly. The body is light enough to keep it drinkable!

This an exceptionally delicious beer from the Stone team-- happy anniversary to you fine gents, and thanks for the excellent beer!

09-02-2010 20:16:02 | More by AleWatcher
nickd717

2.78/5  rDev -28%

On tap at Rose & Crown. Now I gave the bottled version a B+, but the tap version I had here was much wose.

Pours a very cloudy yellowish-greenish color, not too appealing-looking, with a small whitish head.

On the aroma, I get the same earthy and spicy English hops, but they're drowned out by the smells of soap and wet dog. Not great.

Sweet doughy malt on the flavor, with very earthy English hops and some wet leaves. Fairly hoppy.

Palate is a bit syrupy for my tastes. Medium-full body and medium-low carbonation.

Now I see why others didn't think highly of this beer. I did not enjoy this experience all that much. This is way better out of the bottle in my opinion.

08-27-2010 02:10:00 | More by nickd717
weatherdog

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield Il, served in a 12oz. snifter

The beer pours a hazy golden yellow with a very lacy white head. A decent layer of lasting bubbles adorn the top of the beer.

The nose is strong but not too over the top like I expected from a Stone anniversary beer. Strong herbal and grass hop aroma with just a a tinge of lemon at the the end. A semi-sweet malt backbone backs up the barrage of hops.

I'm enjoying the bitterness in this beer. With most Stone beers the bitterness is overly harsh but this is much smoother. The hop flavor is very earthy with herbal flavors. A sweet finish for an IPA with some alcohol flavor at the end. A really unique hop profile that I kind of enjoyed and a nice diversion from my usual preference of citrus hop bombs.

The mouthfeel and carbonation is near perfect for my tastes. This beer is dangerously drinkable and I finished my snifter without much effort, palate fatigue. I applaud Stone for taking a chance with this beer. While not my favorite DIPA, I can't see all the hate this beer is getting.

08-26-2010 05:57:05 | More by weatherdog
WeisGuy

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

On-tap at Ashley's in AA

a - pours a bright golden amber color, one-inch ivory head with good retention and lacing, pretty cloudy

s - big grassy and citrusy hop aroma with a substantial biscuity malt backbone, light boozy alcohol notes and tropical fruit, some yeasty aromas as well

t - quite a bit hoppier than I expected, big grassy and lemony hop components up front with a nice light caramel and biscuit malt component on the midpalate and finish, lingering citrus hop bitterness on the finish, light alcohol heat

m - medium-bodied with ample carbonation, nice alcohol warming, well-balanced finish

d - pretty drinkable for a nearly 9% abv beer, more well-balanced than many IPAs this big, alcohol is fairly well-hidden

Pretty solid beer from Stone, overall, but not something that I would pick out as an English IPA. Well worth a try.

08-20-2010 23:27:38 | More by WeisGuy
david18

I had a twelve ounce pour of this at Rattle & Hum in New York City. They listed it as a double IPA but Beer Advocate (and Stone) both characterize this as an English IPA. I tend to agree with the former.

In general I liked this beer a lot and found it to be a very good low alcohol double ipa. Light color and cloudy with with a very good and strong hop aroma. A little heavy on the heat, especially for an 8.9 abv. i can't wait to find this in a bottle.

08-20-2010 18:46:21 | More by david18
atsprings

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a 22oz weizen glass a slightly hazy orange with a decent khaki slowly diminishing head. Aroma is Earthy hops and biscuity malts. The taste is loads of grassy earthy hops in front of biscuity malts with slight alcohol presence. The beer is a bit on the heavy side, but not too much, there is a slight dryness that smooths things out nicely. I must say, this beer was much more enjoyable on-tap than if was from the bottle.

08-17-2010 00:03:07 | More by atsprings
Phelps

Arizona

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Enjoyed on tap at tops, poured into a standard pint glass.

Looks: pours an interesting pale sunshine yellow, just a bit hazy, with a meringue-like white head that sticks around for quite a while.

Smells: like a forest rain. Dank, but also biting. Weed, lemons, roses, soil. Bright and hop-heavy, with woody wet pine.

Tastes: interesting. It's the finish that gets you -- like the pure resin of English hops, it's an odd acrid-dry tinge that blasts the taste buds. Grapefruit rind, pencil shavings, lager yeast, lime. The sweetness of the nose drops of completely in favor of bitterness. It's like hop tea.

Feels: impressively full-bodied for an IPA. It's filling and feels weighty on the tongue. Medium-light carb.

Drinks: boldly. I can see how this beer wouldn't be for everyone. A stretch for Stone, and an interesting take on the English IPA. I appreciate the bravery.

08-08-2010 03:27:34 | More by Phelps
jampics2

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Served in a pint glass.

I almost remember what it was like to be 14. More balls than brains, starting to really carve out my identity while still stumbling through much of my days. This recipe was a perfect choice for the Stone 14th anniversary beer; it's a little awkward, but it's interesting and flavorful. Overall, this was a winner to me, but this beer drinks far beyond it's years (ABV).

Orange with a nice head. A good looking beer.

Smell is nice earthy hops and some pale, bready malt. There's a bit of spice too. Nice but could be just a touch more refined, this is rough around the edges.

Taste is nice, sweet biscuity and bready malt with TONS of bitter grass, earthy spices, and some grapefruit rind. Crazy the bitterness on this one and a sharp sweet note that quickly gets overwhelmed. Eventually, my tongue gets back to tasting more than the ruinous hoppiness. A touch of asprin flavor lingers and kills this from being just outstanding.

Medium body, creamy carb, and a runious lingering finish. Just not quite there to be outstanding, but not too oily or sticky.

Ah, to be young again. So full of hope. And 14 is a great age. This beer reflects that interesting stage in life, where we're anything but polished. This was a nice beer and an interesting and successful take on the English IPA.

08-06-2010 18:04:26 | More by jampics2
tzieser

Arizona

2.1/5  rDev -45.6%

Ugh...what can I say about this beer? Two words come to mind: epic fail.

The color isn't there, English-style IPAs shouldn't be corn-yellow like this one was...at least its a bit hazy, but its so far off of its English roots its incredible. The nose is hoppy as hell-- which is fine (because its stone after all) but where's the malt? Nowhere to be found. The flavor is just insanely bitter-- which is also fine but again, where's the malt? english style ipas should not taste like this. Mouthfeel is where it should be. I just don't see myself having more than a pint of this, which is an absolute shame because I really REALLY wanted to love this beer.

Its a shame really. I had big expectations for this brew, which could be why I was let down. Maybe if I wasn't so amped up for this if enjoy it more.

I think if this was labeled anything other than "english style ipa" I wouldn't be this harsh, as I would have been a bit more open minded in terms of style based criticism. Typically I rate beers according to how much I enjoyed them regardless of style. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this beer, thanks in part to the mindset I was in going into this review (thinking "english ipa" not "new ipa")

I'd rather reach for a true English ipa or a great local English-style ipa (mayflower IPA comes to mind) before I ever gave this another shot. Nice try, Stone. Stick to your intense west coast IPAs from now on, please.

Edit: this review is coming from someone who's a hophead. I also loved stone 13, I just didn't like this.

08-02-2010 23:41:44 | More by tzieser
glid02

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

On-tap at the Porter in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy copper color with a 1.5-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth caramel malts with hints of breadiness and large citrus and leafy hop aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the hops are a bit less robust. Grainy caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large citrus hops and milder grassy and leafy hop flavors. Midway through the sip light amounts of bready flavors make a brief appearance before fading into a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was surprised by the large amounts of citrus hop flavors, and the profile of the citrus hops, in this bad boy, expecting more earthy, grassy, and light citrus from the more popular English varietals. What I got was more in line with what most of Stone puts out, so if you're a fan then it's well worth a shot.

08-02-2010 00:28:28 | More by glid02
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a honey gold color with fairly good head retention and decent lacing. Not sure what to make of the nose. Obviously, one picks up a considerable amount of hoppy bitterness, mostly consisting of black pepper and dank earth, but also pine and even some barnyard funk. Kind of an odd mixture of aromas....

The barnyard funk, dank earth and pine come on strong on the palate, but then there's literally a tidal wave of hoppy bitterness that completely dominates the flavor profile. This leads to a very dry, very bitter finish. The bitterness is so intense, you really don't pick up much alcohol (at least I don't), so I was a bit surprised to learn the abv. is nearly 9% in this beer. Mouthfeel is pretty decent, and there's no doubt this beer delivers plenty of flavor, and has a long, dry, bitter finish. Drinkability is OK at best. Frankly, even though I consider myself a hophead, this just struck me as too much of a good thing. The bitterness really wears out the palate, and it was a struggle finishing off the small glass I ordered.

Just not my cup of tea.... guess you can't expect any brewery to hit a homerun every time.

08-01-2010 19:06:48 | More by johnmichaelsen
gregmoscetti

I was pretty stoked to try this beer but unfortunately, Stone has swung on and missed big. The beer goes in a three step process: Aggressive hop bitter (surprise surprise)...2...1.. hmmm that tastes interesting and not too bad...2...1... ugh gross, is that a sweaty sock?

so for those of you at home, it will taste "ok", then "not bad", then "ugh, gross."

Die hard stone fans and people who don't get to drink great IPAs whenever they want will say its good. But it isnt. Way better stuff down here in so-cal to be wasting a penny on this beer.

07-28-2010 19:26:51 | More by gregmoscetti
jzeilinger

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, golden orange color with minimal head and a moderate amount of carbonation.

S - Moderate grapefruit and pine aroma make up the majority of the nose with biscuity malt in the background.

T - Some phenolic biscuit malt sets a foundation for a blend of sweet and bitter hop onslaught to the tongue. Mild orange citrus and a hefty dose of grapefruit and pine needles. Intertwined among the bitter fruit is some sweet pineapple. About half way through the glass the pineapple becomes more noticeable. Finishes dry and practically sucks the spit off your tongue.

M - There's some warming on the way down and the mouth is left with a cotton-like feel counterbalanced with a citrus and pine. Medium bodied, mild carbonation on the tongue.

D - Very good.

My first reaction to this beer was, "Meh". However, realizing this is an English style IPA on steroids, it's a total hop bomb for the style.

07-27-2010 03:47:59 | More by jzeilinger
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Pours a hazy golden yellow with a one finger white head. Maintains excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of fruit, hops, and malt. The flavor was of massive hops, grapefruit upon sitting on the palate and swallowing. It was medium on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a very interesting brew. Usually I will get the hops on the followthrough but they came upfront in this one and were balanced/counteracted nicely with the refreshing fruit followthrough. Very nice touch for a very good beer.

07-26-2010 20:31:50 | More by thagr81us
drabmuh

Maryland

On draft at Churchkey. Served in a nonic pint glass. Beer is yellow with a little haze and a broke white head of medium to big bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is minimal.

Mild citrusy / fruit hop aroma. Not much going on here.

Very dry beer. Thin to medium in body. Lots of hops, no sweetness, very citrusy and bitter in the back. Almost chewy in the mouth. It is pretty good but not my favorite IPA.

07-23-2010 17:29:24 | More by drabmuh
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.