Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

Another encore for Stone. Poured with a nice sized foamy, frothy, cream colored head and some lace. Color is a slightly hazy amber. Aroma is mainly hops plus malt, citrus, and fermented fresh cut grass. Flavor is like nose and hops stand way out with some butter flavor too. Excellent body and carbonation. Finish is like flavor and fairly long. Very little aparent alcohol. Maybe a session if you're in the mood for major hops.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Served in a pint glass.

I almost remember what it was like to be 14. More balls than brains, starting to really carve out my identity while still stumbling through much of my days. This recipe was a perfect choice for the Stone 14th anniversary beer; it's a little awkward, but it's interesting and flavorful. Overall, this was a winner to me, but this beer drinks far beyond it's years (ABV).

Orange with a nice head. A good looking beer.

Smell is nice earthy hops and some pale, bready malt. There's a bit of spice too. Nice but could be just a touch more refined, this is rough around the edges.

Taste is nice, sweet biscuity and bready malt with TONS of bitter grass, earthy spices, and some grapefruit rind. Crazy the bitterness on this one and a sharp sweet note that quickly gets overwhelmed. Eventually, my tongue gets back to tasting more than the ruinous hoppiness. A touch of asprin flavor lingers and kills this from being just outstanding.

Medium body, creamy carb, and a runious lingering finish. Just not quite there to be outstanding, but not too oily or sticky.

Ah, to be young again. So full of hope. And 14 is a great age. This beer reflects that interesting stage in life, where we're anything but polished. This was a nice beer and an interesting and successful take on the English IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Smoggy orange-canary, with a wispy white cap. Though its ingredients are all English, it could hardly smell more American even if it had a fresh Cascade hop cone floating in it. Huge pine, lemon, coriander and lemongrass aromas with a background of sponge cake, curaçao, and coconut rum. Fruity and tropical but not tropical fruity, if that makes sense.

The hop blast in the aroma sadly doesn't translate to the flavor, though I suspect that's due to the cask conditioning. This leaves it full of flavor but also quite sweet, and reminiscent of an Old Ale or blonde barleywine. Golden raisins, frosted flakes, caramel and honey take the edge off juniper, citrus, and pine hop flavors and virtually undetectable alcohol - like an assassin's bullet of hops shot through a silencer of malts. Smooth and dangerously drinkable, and a potential partner for strong cheese.

2.01/5  rDev -47.8%

A- Nice pale yellow straw color with a good foam head. A chill haze present.

S- Hops. sweetness, some citrus- lemon and grapefruit

T- Noble hop bomb. Extremely bitter to the point of assaulting your taste buds. A little hot from the alcohol. Feels like Im sucking on grapefruit rind. No malt whatsoever.

I love Stone beers and everything they do. They are one of my fav breweries and still will be after this review but...This is the first beer from Stone I do not love. Matte of fact I think it completely misfires.
This beer is a noble hop bomb but not in a good way. This beer assaulted my tastebuds to the point where it ruined my palate fairly quick. Mind you, I love Stone Ruination, so for a beer to do this to my tongue is fairly impressive. After about half way through my first glass from the 22oz bomber, my taste buds were shot. Stone usually has a way for even thier most ambitious beers to have a certain balancing act as not to completely ruin your mouth. This didn't deliver
Sorry Stone, I love you guys, but this beer missed.
I actually have another bottle Im going to age for a couple years, just to see what it does. Should be interesting.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

A-pours a hazy golden color with a fingers width head that recedes fairly quickly leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S-Definitely Hoppy with only a faint malty sweet scent. I am also picking up something else something umm for lack of a better term earthy..

T-Nice and Bitter Hops up front mellowed only slightly by malts sweetness and a whole lot of spiciness, saison IPA mayhaps?

M-mouthfeel is good no stickiness just a nice residual Hop bitterness that as a "Hophead" i have come to know and love.

D-Nice Take on the English IPA style way to keep it fresh and creative,that being said my next beer will be an american IPA. back to where i feel safe and warm..lol.

Prost!!

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Yellow straw color with nice fluffy white head and moderate retention.

There are citrus and tropical hops, but somewhat muted. It's just not that aromatic.

It's hoppy and bitter, for sure. Pineapple and grapefruit flavors are dominated by sheer bitterness. I wish the flavor was more pronounced. It was a tease. It felt like it was starting strong but never quite peaked.

Mouthfeel is a little sticky, ok carbonation. Finish is not as dry as I'd prefer.

Good drinkability and overall an ok beer. From Stone, it was a little disappointing.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into an English pint glass, this beer is a very bright, crystal clear golden color with about a half-inch of foam on top, leaving sticky trails along the glass. I had to do a triple-take on the aroma... there's just almost nothing there... light floral hops, but that's crazy for any Stone beer, let alone an Imperial IPA. There's just hardly any hoppy nose on this beer.

Fortunately, they come through more clearly on the taste. There's a clear zesty lemon, spicy hop flavor, together with a moderately high bitterness. Malt does not make much of an appearance here, and yeast character is pretty clean. The body is pretty light for a nearly 9% beer, and there's no hint of alcohol.

An odd beer. It tastes like no English IPA I've ever had. It's drinkable, but not worth the $8 price tag at the store. Ultimately, a very forgettable anniversary beer.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a pale golden yellow, kind of surprised by the color. Big white sticky head. Aroma of pine grapefruit. First sip is bitter with good hop flavor. Not picking up much malt. Just a solid hop bitter, a little citrus. I kind of expected more for an anniversary brew. This one falls kind of flat. Its a nice hopy bitter IPA, but thats about it. Glad I tried it but nothing to seek out again.

3.72/5  rDev -3.4%

Glad I got a hold of this one. My usual store was sold out and I stumbled upon it at a place I had never been to. Lucky day! Poured this into a tulip. Nice golden orange color with a rocky white head. Giant bubbles and sticky lacing. Decent retention. This is very appealing to me. Smells like pine and citrus; mainly grapefruit tartness and pineapple sweetness. I'm probably cracking this a little older than anticipated, but it still smells hoppy and delicious!
Now this is unfortunate. Like I said, maybe this could be fresher but the hops still present in the nose are not as present as I would like them to be. Good flavor and has some nice sweetness to the finish, but the smell is stronger than the flavor.
Nice mouthfeel on this. The carbonation is good and I'm loving the light body to it. Really good one for this scorching hot August day. Drinking nice and the 8.9 abv is hidden well.

On a side note, I really hope someone is aging this for a year or more in the hull of their seafaring vessel as recommended on the bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No freshness info. Kind of odd seeing how they recommend you drink it fresh. Nice, frothy two inches of head forms over a cloudy yellow liquid that reminds me of watered down orange juice. Good lacing evident as the head slowly dissipates. Smell is surprisingly sweet. This is a bit of a change for Stone. The malt is up front and the hops form the back bone giving it a very floral quality almost like a triple. The amount of carbonation you can see looks kind of like a triple, too. The hops are there and still seem fresh. It's not like the beer is old and the malt has taken over, its just the hops are very subdued on the nose. Good amount of carbonation (not too much) and a very resiny mouthfeel. This definitely coats your whole mouth with a hefty dose of IBUs. Still the hops don't quite dominate the taste. The yeast and malt combine with the hops to give the beer a citrus-y, tangy, baked, spicy quality. I guess I would say its like biting into a piece of orange peel in your orange-cranberry scone. Maybe its because I am enjoying something entirely new but I think this beer is remarkably drinkable for 8.9% abv. Again I would compare it to a triple instead of most DIPAs in that regard. I wish I had a nice cigar to go with this. Overall, unique and impressive. I am glad my favorite brewer can still surprise me after all these years.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Apple juice copper under a thick white head that is a bit noisy. Good staying power as it slowly drops leaving thickly arched globs.

The nose is floral and citric with tropical fruit, grapes, and zesty lemon and orange aromas. Strong suggestion of flowers with some underlying pine. Great nose!

Some earthy malt upfront that oddly switches to under ripe grapefruit then into a grassy hop bitterness that sets the course straight and is followed by a mildly acidic dry hoppy finish.

The mouth is decent as it does leave a bit of oil on my tongue and could finish a little cleaner. Carbonation is where it should be but that only helps so much.

This beer starts out with so much promise yet falls so short of the mark. I'm a huge fan of Stone's approach to bold beers, but this beer could have done with a bit more finesse.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Pours a straw yellow gold with a white head

Smell of grass, citrus, hay and malt

I wasnt a big fan of this, I like many English beers, just not so much on the English IPA side. Felt similarly with 400 lb monkey although a completely different style. Not for me.

Medium mouthfeel and good carbonation, just mild tasting albeit strong IPA for "English IPA" and slightly boring with some grass.

appearance: Medium hazy golden. Nice creamy head and lacing.
smell: floral, melony hops. Guess that's the "most pungent hops Kent has to offer".
taste: Interesting sharp beginning with a slight malty sweetness then a dry bitter finish.
mouthfeel: medium with carbonation felt.
drinkability: A decent brew.

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%

A - Gold in color, good head, nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Lemon zest, citrusy smell, with a touch or earthiness. Not as hoppy as I would expect based on the style of beer.

T - Taste is very surprising malty sweetness followed up with an earthy bitterness.

M - Very crisp beer to start, and leaves a dry feel on the tounge.

D - Not my favorite brew from Stone. Very creative on their part in come up with a very one of a kind beer. But I feel there are better tasting beers in its class. Worth trying once, since this will be the last time that they make it.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

A- poured a transparent golden color with a mega frothy head. foam was white in color and lacing was medium. looks like this thing could be in a commercial.

S- smells alil like that pineapple orange juice that dole makes but watered down a tad.

T- tastes just how it smells. maybe my tastebuds weren't ready for this style. alcohol is undetected. you don't really notice that crystal (or caramel) malt you usually find but something new.... not saying it's a good or bad thing but just something different.

M- light/ medium bodied. good carbonation. the beer has a silkiness to it.

D- if you wanna go guns blazing drink 2 i kinda wish i had another one but for going to great lakes brewing co. tomorrow i'm fine with one.

Overall- this is one unique brew. if you're gonna be an @ss about the bitterness of it being an imperial ipa then go cry but as for me the hops i knew they were going to use usually doesn't pack much of a bitter punch. just really floral. this brew i would fine delectable on a nice fall day.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours clear golden with a big frothy head.

Pine and citrus, but also green pepper and biscuit in the smell.

Crisp, herbal citrus, and green peppers in the initial taste. Reminiscent of New Glarus's Moon Man actually - quite nice. Towards the end a sharp hop bite kicks in, I kind of felt it clashed with the flavor profile they had going.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

I didn't have any preconceptions about this going in, and I thought it was a pretty decent one-off, but not nearly the best thing Stone has made.

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%

This is a difficult beer to judge because of the drinker's expectations and the how this beer would be categorized based on the ingredients used and the description from the packaging. One wonders if this "Emperial IPA" is a British IPA as the ingredients would lead you to believe or if it's a double IPA as the 8.9% ABV and Stone's reputation would lead you to think.

This beer is a very pale in color with a billowy head, that is more reminiscent of a Saison than an IPA of any variety. The foam was finely knit, white, and persistent, providing very nice lacing. The aroma was intensely hoppy with tones of fresh cut pine boughs, savory herbs, and a floral perfume. The beer was very bitter with little body and not much malt character to speak of, not surprising considering the color of the beer. The beer finished dry with clean bitterness and was very pleasant even as it warmed up.

I would say that this beer is a bit one-noted, just hops and not much else. This is not a bad thing, but I feel that an English IPA should have much more biscuit and caramel flavors from the malt. Overall, the alcohol was well-hidden and the hop flavor was very good, but not as balanced as expected.

2.79/5  rDev -27.5%

I gotta say this was a bit disappointing to me. I absolutely love Stone, and maybe my expectations were to high, but for an Imperial IPA, it seems off.

On looks alone it does look very enticing, but doesn't look like an imperial IPA. Looks more like Belgian, with a nice slowly dissolving frothy head.

The scent of hops is decent, and there are hints of citrus in the nose.

Has a bit of a buttery feel on the tongue, but does have a nice IPA dryness to it.

I am still a fan of Stone and they're one of my favorite breweries, but to me, this is not one of their best offerings. Maybe my expectations were just too high, I dunno?

2.12/5  rDev -44.9%

Ugh...what can I say about this beer? Two words come to mind: epic fail.

The color isn't there, English-style IPAs shouldn't be corn-yellow like this one was...at least its a bit hazy, but its so far off of its English roots its incredible. The nose is hoppy as hell-- which is fine (because its stone after all) but where's the malt? Nowhere to be found. The flavor is just insanely bitter-- which is also fine but again, where's the malt? english style ipas should not taste like this. Mouthfeel is where it should be. I just don't see myself having more than a pint of this, which is an absolute shame because I really REALLY wanted to love this beer.

Its a shame really. I had big expectations for this brew, which could be why I was let down. Maybe if I wasn't so amped up for this if enjoy it more.

I think if this was labeled anything other than "english style ipa" I wouldn't be this harsh, as I would have been a bit more open minded in terms of style based criticism. Typically I rate beers according to how much I enjoyed them regardless of style. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this beer, thanks in part to the mindset I was in going into this review (thinking "english ipa" not "new ipa")

I'd rather reach for a true English ipa or a great local English-style ipa (mayflower IPA comes to mind) before I ever gave this another shot. Nice try, Stone. Stick to your intense west coast IPAs from now on, please.

Edit: this review is coming from someone who's a hophead. I also loved stone 13, I just didn't like this.

4.67/5  rDev +21.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint 6oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle info includes its abv (8.9%), born on date (June2010), ingredients used and a good disruption of the beer as the motivation behind it.

Appearance: The body has a pale orange-ish tan color. It is quite hazy but carbonation is still visible. From the pour it makes a tall bright white head of tightly packed creamy foam. This slowly fades to thin foam covering that hangs on well and makes nice lace rings on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is full of bright leafy, floral/botanical (almost minty) and citrusy hops with a hint of pine as well. Under that are notes of clean pale malt and bready yeast.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is in your face hops right from the start. It is complex and brings all hop aroma notes to the flavor. The malt is clean, biscuity and adds a bit of sweetness at the start which makes the hop notes pop. There is a lightly noticeable sweet alcohol as well that adds some warmth. In the finish dry bready yeast and strong hop bitterness come out and dry things right up. This bitterness lingers on the tongue for some time in a good way. The body is just on the full side with nice lively carbonation.

Notes: What more can I say I absolutely love this beer and this brewery!!!

4.12/5  rDev +7%

A: Poured from the bomber into a Duvel tulip. A 2-finger fluffy ivory head settles over a slightly hazy, light-honey colored body. Leaves behind good lace.

S: Definitely brought the hops. Think honey-drizzled tropical fruit. Some toffee or brown sugary malt underneath. Touch of pine as well.

T: First impression: I like. Leafy and juicy hops. Peppery spice is noted at the back of the mouth right away. Toffee, caramel malt, maybe even butterscotchy malt is up front. Finishes with a lemony bitter dryness that seems to "lighten" the feel. Decent balance overall, but the more I drink the more I get pepper.

M: Slightly resiny. Medium in heft. Has an odd lightening feel to it -- I'm crediting the lemony finish.

D: Very good at first, when cold, but slowing down when it warms. Just a tad bit too peppery as it heats up a bit.

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Wow! This is really good! I don't know why this is only a B+, this is the epitamy of what an EIPA ought to be!

Pours in my sniffer a slightly hazy deep yellow color with a huge white creamy/slightly rocky head that has very good retention and great lacing.

AND THE SMELL IS AMAZING!!! It smells like fresh dank sticky icky hops fo sho. Huge resony/citrusy/floral hop aroma. I love it. In the aftermath of the hop blast, there comes through a beautiful soft and sweet biscuit malt aroma.

And the flavor is amazing too! Huge, very clean huge bitterness that lingers along a base of sweet biscuit malt foundation. Huge hop flavor that is so complex with citrus/floral/sticky icky-ness.

And the feel is full and creamy and oh so smooth. This wonderful beer has a very clean finish with a bittersweet finish.

Also is very drinkable, a beer that could be sessioned slowly fo sho. Man I'm so glad to have tried this, think I'll go pick up some mo!

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

A-Pours a clear goldenrod color with a thick rocky, two finger white head that leaves sticky lacing.

S-Kind of funky, lemony, and with some guava and some light malt notes.

T-Tropical guava, lemon, and orange upfront with a nice hit of bitterness with some fruitiness and finishes dry, bitter, slightly medicinal (not in a bad way), and peppery.

M-Really smooth and sticky. Low carbonation with a medium body.

D-It's actually pretty easy drinking in my opinion. I'm having a hard time understanding why this beer has been so polarizing.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

On-tap at the Porter in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy copper color with a 1.5-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth caramel malts with hints of breadiness and large citrus and leafy hop aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the hops are a bit less robust. Grainy caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large citrus hops and milder grassy and leafy hop flavors. Midway through the sip light amounts of bready flavors make a brief appearance before fading into a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was surprised by the large amounts of citrus hop flavors, and the profile of the citrus hops, in this bad boy, expecting more earthy, grassy, and light citrus from the more popular English varietals. What I got was more in line with what most of Stone puts out, so if you're a fan then it's well worth a shot.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Most disappointing from Stone. They are one of my favorite breweries, and I generally consider anything I get there to be a shoe-in. But this was pretty lousy. The beer itself was not a tragedy, but at 10 bucks, I expect better than average. It poured a very transparent yellow, with plenty of foam. Some hops registered on the olfactory detectors, but some other musky sour bitter rot did as well. I like bitter, but not combined with whatever mean musk rolled off this puppy. The taste matched. It felt cheap, with some hops plunged in.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.