Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros

1.3/5  rDev -66.2%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell at a weekend tasting. Thanks, Arne.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot body with a finger of short-lived beige head. No lace. The lack of clarity is really unsettling -- it makes the beer look like turbid pond water.

S: Old towels and urinals. There were four of us seated around the table, and I purposely took the last pour and made the last comment so that people wouldn't be influenced by what I had to say. But when I did, that became the consensus of the tasting. There's a peppery, salty, organic note to this that distinctly reminds me of urine and old towels. It's unpleasant.

T: Toasted malt and biscuit, I can pick out. But that weird organic smell I noticed is back, here. It presents the flavors of mildew, decay, and salty pee. I don't think the beer is infected, exactly -- I just have this reaction to certain flavor / aroma combinations (see Nugget Nectar and Tongue Buckler, which smell like urinal cakes to me). This beer goes a step beyond that and carries the unpleasantness into the flavor. And this time, I had 3 witnesses to agree with me.

M: Some alcohol to this, an astringent (tea-like) finish, and a semi-dry body. Nothing about this works at all: it needs more sugar to cover up the booze and bitterness.

D: A complete misfire. Terrible. Between 4 hopheads, we drainpoured half the bottle. And I'm very forgiving toward Stone products, so I'm sad to give this the score I am.

I'm actually half-wondering if they made this to mock Ding. Not cool, Stone.

1.48/5  rDev -61.6%

Another year has gone by and its time for yet another stones anniversary beer. I must admit up front I wasnt stoked for an English Style IPA. However being the Stones fanboy I am I had to have it when it came in. The beer was served chilled and in an Imperial Pint glass. As a wise man once said, "Hey Ho Lets Go!"

Appearance: The body of the beer is peach to honey coloration. The head of the beer is off white and quickly resolves into a thin foam.

Smell: Herbed pine hits my nose. Thin bready maltyness supports the hops.

Taste: I think I just licked a grass filled herb encrusted whicker basket. I swore I had a bit of citrus the other day but none to be found in this bottle.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. The beer gives me a sense of creamyness to the mouth. Very low carbonation noted. Perhaps this is an attempt to get a cask feel. I was gob smacked with dryness on this particular bottle. This beer is not worthy. I like the idea of experimenting with beer styles and ingredients. This is kind of like an off flavored ESB. Hoping next year that the old arrogant bastard returns to form.

1.5/5  rDev -61%

Pours a hazy golden color with a large white head that stuck around for some time and left some good chunky lacing on the glass. Aroma was strangely Belgian-esque upon the first whiff. Earthy, like a damp basement, some lemon and light sweetness, herbal hops. This is an English IPA? I don't know what the hell is going on with this beer. The taste is throwing me for a loop. It's bitter, earthy, dry, and has a strong solvent alcohol flavor coupled with bandaid and powdery yeast. WTF? No sweetness in the taste whatsoever, incredibly dry, almost harsh finish. Ugh... Mouthfeel is drying, bitter, and just not good, needs some body and sweetness to balance out the awfulness of the hop schedule. I like bitter, but I want flavor. This is alcohol, medicine, and bandaid. Fuck me, this is bad.

1.5/5  rDev -61%

Dammit, I was so excited about this beer, right up until I poured it. Looked weird, pale and milky and raw like The Bruery's Mischief on tap. And the smell was RAW and old. Like something that's been souring under a leaky washing machine over the summer months.

Then I drank it.

Well, at least it felt like a beer in my mouth. But that thing under the washer? Yeah, it was a tangerine. The hops? I don't know how that happens, but it was like sucking on an old unpeeled tangerine. I didn't expect bright citrusy American hoppiness, but what a weird twist. It's aimlessly bitter and too dry and acrid and alcoholic. My friend's first reaction: "it's pointy". Well said. After suffering through a few more gulps (not sippable) I suggested that it tasted sick, like ill. Not infected in the fun way, more like cancer of the malt. She agreed, and said that the aftertaste was like bile. Again, very well said.

1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

Hophead84 and I usually see eye to eye on beer, but whoa, do we differ on this one.

Pours a billowy orange-gold. Big off-white foam head. Bit turbid.

Smells herbally, medicinally, faintly of toasted malts, and ... I don't know .. pungent.

Taste is a mess. Shouldn't be called an IPA, frankly. It's more like an uber-ESB that's been dried out on medicinal herb twigs. So much herbaliness it destroys the malt/toastiness component, plus a hint of pine, grass, and hay components, and ... ugh. A sort of drying (other people mention salt, but to me it's just dry) aftertaste that lingers and lingers. Not citrus-y, no hint of sweetness, just a chore to drink. The acrid-ness combined with an alcohol tone really made me feel like I was drinking a cleaning solvent.

1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

English style IPA, brewed the "American" way, should be interesting.

Appearance- Pours a hazy deep yellow with hints of orange. Quickly disipating head, no lace.

Smell- Getting lots of pine and some citrus. Grassy and earthy as well.

Taste- Not a big fan, not as hoppy or bitter as I was expecting. This is more plain dry than hoppy bitterness. Getting a weird cheese-y taste as well. Having trouble describing this, sweaty gym bag? I like earthy funk usually, but this is borderline repulsive.

Mouthfeel- fairly light actually.

Overall- The excessive englishs hops has produced a very strange taste. Stone is a world class brewery, but this particular brew, not so much. Dissapointed, but not everything can be great.

1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

A- Nice pale yellow straw color with a good foam head. A chill haze present.

S- Hops. sweetness, some citrus- lemon and grapefruit

T- Noble hop bomb. Extremely bitter to the point of assaulting your taste buds. A little hot from the alcohol. Feels like Im sucking on grapefruit rind. No malt whatsoever.

I love Stone beers and everything they do. They are one of my fav breweries and still will be after this review but...This is the first beer from Stone I do not love. Matte of fact I think it completely misfires.
This beer is a noble hop bomb but not in a good way. This beer assaulted my tastebuds to the point where it ruined my palate fairly quick. Mind you, I love Stone Ruination, so for a beer to do this to my tongue is fairly impressive. After about half way through my first glass from the 22oz bomber, my taste buds were shot. Stone usually has a way for even thier most ambitious beers to have a certain balancing act as not to completely ruin your mouth. This didn't deliver
Sorry Stone, I love you guys, but this beer missed.
I actually have another bottle Im going to age for a couple years, just to see what it does. Should be interesting.

Pours a beautiful rich hazy gold with a solid head.

Aroma is... what the eff is that? Dirty dishwater? Moldy lemons? Stinky cheese? There's some good things in there somewhere but they are masked by the moldy smell.

Taste, not much better, though it grows on you a bit. The first half a beer was actually kind of hard to take down. Eased up a tad over time, but only a tad. The moldy taste overpowers anything pleasant. The only thing nice I can really say about the flavor is it isn't as bad as the smell.

I hate to do this because I love Stone, but this doesn't live up to their reputation.

P.S. Warmed up a little better, but I still don't want to drink it.

2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

Appearance -- Pours a pale straw, quite hazy (not cloudy), with two fingers of sudsy lily-white head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell -- Lemon, pine sap, dish soap, and shrubs with some busicuit and caramel malt in the backdrop.

Taste -- Lots of grapefruit rind and pine with bitter vegetal flavors akin to raw rhubarb. Under the thick fog of hop bitterness is toffee and caramel, with raw buscuit dough maltiness. Long finish that is bitter, oily and vegetal.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to light in body with ample prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- This beer tastes like a beer brewed by consensus: it's going in all different directions, with none of them complimenting the others. Typically, I find Stone to be hit or miss, mostly of the former. To date, this is by far the worst offering I've had by them.

2.1/5  rDev -45.5%

Ugh...what can I say about this beer? Two words come to mind: epic fail.

The color isn't there, English-style IPAs shouldn't be corn-yellow like this one was...at least its a bit hazy, but its so far off of its English roots its incredible. The nose is hoppy as hell-- which is fine (because its stone after all) but where's the malt? Nowhere to be found. The flavor is just insanely bitter-- which is also fine but again, where's the malt? english style ipas should not taste like this. Mouthfeel is where it should be. I just don't see myself having more than a pint of this, which is an absolute shame because I really REALLY wanted to love this beer.

Its a shame really. I had big expectations for this brew, which could be why I was let down. Maybe if I wasn't so amped up for this if enjoy it more.

I think if this was labeled anything other than "english style ipa" I wouldn't be this harsh, as I would have been a bit more open minded in terms of style based criticism. Typically I rate beers according to how much I enjoyed them regardless of style. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this beer, thanks in part to the mindset I was in going into this review (thinking "english ipa" not "new ipa")

I'd rather reach for a true English ipa or a great local English-style ipa (mayflower IPA comes to mind) before I ever gave this another shot. Nice try, Stone. Stick to your intense west coast IPAs from now on, please.

Edit: this review is coming from someone who's a hophead. I also loved stone 13, I just didn't like this.

2.17/5  rDev -43.6%

A- A hazy orange color with about a finger of white bubbly head that holds on with a thin layer left. Ring of lacing around the edge of the glass, but don't see much after that.

S- A hint of grapefruit and maybe some lemon as the smell takes off into an untamed hop sensation that is quickly overpowered by a weird acidic chemical smell that is very unpleasant. Some malt available in the background but falls victim to the chemical smell as well.

T- Taste is something else. Starts with a sort of herbal taste that changes towards an earthy piney hop taste, but unpleasantly harsh. Alcohol is more than apparent towards the end of the beer almost to the point of drowning out all other tastes. One of the only things to make it through is that earthy bitterness that lasts into the after taste.... and lasts... and lasts. Seems like some of the tastes got out of control as the citrus I was expecting made little to no appearance.

M- Medium bodied, but aggressive with how dry it is in the mouth. Carbonation is alright, nothing to brag about.

D- A bomber of this stuff? A 12 oz bottle would be a chore in itself...

2.2/5  rDev -42.9%

Despite all the mixed reviews, I've been meaning to pick this up. Thanks to Steve for sharing!

Slightly hazy yellow/light orange, dusty sediment. White head retains fine and leaves a bit of lacing.

Lots of comments came up between the 4 of us upon smelling, but what I can remember is soap, urinal cakes and fruity stripe bubblegum. Pretty much. The beer did somehow redeem itself later on with more decent smells of pine, grassy hops.

Oof. Ok. Here we go. Stinging pine and lemon, pretty much Pine-Sol. Definitely vegetables, Cam got fresh peapods and cat piss. A little biscuity and peppery. The initial flavor just tastes so...wrong. This did seem to improve slightly over time, but man, something went wrong here.

I like English IPAs the way they are meant to be, maybe there's a reason they weren't over the top in the first place. It tastes so off and wrong. I love Stone, but they misfired here.

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured a nice orangish color, with a decent head. Nice smell, not too hoppy, well balanced citruis smell.

Now the taste. The first sip was OK, but then I let it linger and the after taste of strong grapfruit rind lingered and lingered to the point where it was un appealing. The more I drank the more bitter and dry my mouth got. I like hops but this was a bit too much, to the point where I could not finish this beer. Seems like it needed a litte more malt to balance this attack of grapefruit rind.

2.28/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured into a snifter on 7/24/10

Brightly colored tangerine with swaths of gold highlights. Quite cloudy & dense, held to the light it has an almost neon glow. Poured one finger of white foam that held for a few minutes then dropped to an island of bubbles amid a skim of foam. Ok lacing thus far. Minimal retention throughout with sporadic blobs & splotches of lacing.

The aroma is rather unconventional, if not downright odd. It's a mixed bag of good & bad qualities, in my opinion. The Good: bright citrusy notes of lemon zest, orange peel & a hint of grapefruit; juicy & floral overtones & a suitable toasty malt backdrop that doesn't seem overpowering. The Bad: said citrus notes are way past ripe; very, very soapy; a touch of solvent & though seemingly not boozy, my nose is left with a harsh chemical-like agitation after lofty sniffs.

I wish I had purchased a hazmat suit along with this beer. I was hoping the chemical burn of the aroma was quarantined in the aroma. No such luck. From the very first sip this tastes of brutal solvency. Not as bad as, say, GUBNA, but this isn't at all pleasant. Some of the citric aspects carry over from the nose, but are muddled by the solvency & bordering on rotten. The citrus zestiness doesn't last long either, as the finish is engulfed in aspirin-like bitterness. Malts are far in the background. Seems like some toasted bread notes, but the potency of the hops dominates. Starts to taste medicinal as it warms.

Emperial IPA is basically medium bodied, maybe even a few clicks toward full bodied. Carbonation starts out at the mid-point of the spectrum (though it gets low by the end). A little grittiness is to be had. Alcohol heat is pretty well-hidden; warming with a very slight slickness. Finishes with the astringent aspirin bitterness mentioned above.

I would be inclined to go outside & fling this into the air but I'm afraid it would fuel the chemtrail conspiracy theorists & kill the grass, vegetation & any neighborhood animals that came across it. I will say it's less painful whilst cold, as well as the second pour (which is probably just a desensitization from the first pour). I will likely check this one out as time goes by, however; it's strangely alluring despite its flaws.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. I had this a couple days ago at a tasting but my palate wasn't up to snuff at that time so I didn't review it.

A - Golden with an orange hue. Big eggshell colored head. Lots of lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

S - Interesting aroma, different than anything else I've had before, maybe a little like a less pungent Gubna? Definitely a lot of herbal hop flavor and kind of reminds me a bit of a piece of cheese. Kind of smells a little salty.

T - Grassy/herbal type hop flavor up front before finishing with a flavor similar to grapefruit rind. Pretty bitter but the bitterness quickly fades and leaves a more subtle bitter flavor in the mouth. A little salty. Not much of a malt backbone in this one and while it has a hint of grapefruit flavor it doesn't have a sweet citrusy flavor. The more I drink the more I pick up the saltiness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Not really that great of a beer. I really dislike the saltiness and it just builds and builds as I drink this beer. My lips feel a bit dryed out like after taking a swim in the ocean. This beer is unique but not really all that great. If you can get a hold of this beer I think it is worth trying but I won't be picking up any more of this and will not be seeking it out again.

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from 22oz into a tulip.

I had two bottles brought to me in August straight from the brewery. Drank one that night, cellered the other one, but did it wrong and it started to skunk, so drank it while it was still saveable. The below is from notes on the first beer, which was in bottle for less than 72 hours.

A: When poured correctly into the tulip a pronounced head is left that will support the bottle cap. The head isn't going anywhere either leaves lacing all the way down that clings fast and doesn't slowly migrate down the glass. The beer is a hazy yellow, but a little darker than other IPA's, such as Stone's Ruination.

S: It's an IPA, so first off you smell hops, followed by more hops, then a little pine smell, followed by hops again. Once your olfactory senses have been sufficiently stunned into submission, other nuances of the beer become apparent such as citrus notes and some flower essences that I can't peg exactly. The effect is to definitely let you know this is an IPA, but nothing really stands out above the rest.

T: Citrusy and hoppy are the two best adjectives here. They both combine in equal amounts to give you a unique IPA taste. This is however, a lot lighter on the hops presence then one would expect from an Emperial IPA and especially from Stone. It comes across a bit reserved as if Stone pulled back at the last minute from making a more substantial IPA.

M: The feel is OK, but a bit over carbonated for an IPA, this combined by an overly dry feeling, leave me less than impressed.

D: The brew didn't live up to what I've come to expect from DIPA styles and from Stone. While I wouldn't turn a glass of this down, I wouldn't spend my own money on another bottle or glass. Instead, for a good IPA and Stone product, I would turn back to Ruination.

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Presentation: Split a bomber of this with a friend. My half was poured into a pint glass and served slightly chilled.

Appearance: Really light, straw yellow in color. Clear with absolutely no haze. I'm not used to an IPA with less little color. Two finger pillowy head head with good retention saves this from resembling an adjunct lager.

Aroma: Really heavy pine pitch. Not balanced pine, but really heavy, bitter pine pitch. So much herb and medicinal flavor. Not much in the way of malt to speak of.

Taste: The pine here is overwhelming and, frankly, unpleasant. I usually enjoy IPA's with some citrus rind and pine flavor, but this is more medicinal and woodsy. I would equate this to licking pine sap, and I don't find that pleasant.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice medium bodied mouthfeel and some good crispness, but I don't find it easy to sip on for some reason.

Drinkability: The ABV really is not that noticable, but the flavor is unrelenting. I had trouble finishing my half of the bottle and I know my friend had similar trouble.

Overall, this is was lackluster showing from Stone in my opinion. I almost always love their beers, but this was borderline undrinkable. Just consider me completely and utterly unimpressed by this. I hope they take a different direction for the next anniversary ale.

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Paid $5.99 for a bomber and poured into a pint glass to review.

Nice white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving behind a thin sheet of retention. Much rising carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very cloudy straw yellow in color. Nice lacing.

Aroma is of grain/wheat, citrusy/grassy hops, toasted malts. Rather mild aroma for this being just under 9%.

Taste is lemon citrus up front with a decent amount of sweetness coming from the balancing malts. Dank citrus hops that remind me a bit of freshly cut grass. Much more full flavored than my nose suggested.

Medium body, good carbonation, relatively thick and creamy.

Not a bad beer, but certainly not my favorite style. The grainy and citrus taste gets a bit overwhelming to me as I near the bottom of the bomber. As it warms more, this taste takes on an unpleasant soapy character and becomes a drainpour.

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Stone 14th Anniversary. Really excited to try this. Great concept and I love Blackheart so this is gonna be great. Or not...

The appearance is good. Slighly orange, slightly hazy. The aroma is weak. Slight Hoppiness. The flavor is odd to say the least. A ton of astringency. Medicinal. Like chewing a non-chewable vitamin. It's like they somehow managed to extract all the less than desireable flavors from a hop while leaving all the good ones behind. Very European hop flavor. I get none of the citrusy charcteristics some others describe.

Not a great beer. While I think it is probably a good interpretation of the style and I love the idea. It's pretty bad. Totally out of whack. Another Stone disappointment.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.