Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPAStone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA Alström Bros

Bought at Whole Foods Torrance, Calif.

Poured a light golden color into tulip glass. Slight head with bubbles. Smell of grapefruit and hops and spices. The taste of hops and a slight peppery backend hits the palate. Mouthfeel of different English hops gives this a different taste that I'm used to. Good drinkability with the different hop taste and spices on each sip hitting the taste buds. Had this first on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena and the hops was definitely present. Almost a "bud-like" taste! A different anniversary ale for sure!

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured this straight down the center of my snifter and it produced a pleasantly frothy off white head a good inch thick. The color was a yawning straw gold, and there was a decent parade of bubbles swirling about.

The aroma was spicy hops, but also damp and earthy, like a morning forest floor mixed with some pleasant herbal notes.

Taste is a good hop rush that is spicy, sharp and crackling. Lemon pepper, bits of earth and leafy/grassy goodness. The malt is sweet and powerful as well. I can detect a bit of that hard water character associated with Burton Ales. These hops linger with you; spicy, earthy, musky and grassy green all at the same time.

The carbonation is lively and very spritzy. The body is medium.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Eureka! Burger in Redlands on Tap for Steal the Glass. 14th anniversary glass.

A: Golden color. Excellent head retention. Slight head after even after a half hour.

S: Citrus, Grape fruit, malt, spice, and booze.

T: boose, malt, hops. It becomes more impressive as it warms up but if it reaches room temp towards the end it becomes more alcoholic.

M: Any thicker it would be a barleywine.

D: One bottle portion is enough.

4.37/5  rDev +13.5%

Bomber poured into pilsner glass

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with 2 fingers of fluffy head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing

S: Tons of floral, piney, earthy, grassy and citrusy hops up front. Hints of tropical fruit. A bit of caramel and toffee from the malts, and a bit of booziness at the end.

T: More of the hops, starting floral, piney and grassy, then finishing with grapefruit and lime. A bit of pineapple and mango show up in there too. Then comes the caramel, toffee and breadiness, with the booze as well. Finishes dry and bitter.

M: Very smooth and creamy, very different from the typical DIPA

D: I could definitely drink this again and again. This is one of the best DIPA's I've had.

Overall, this is an amazing beer. I hope Stone will produce more of this.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bottle poured into my Spiegelau pint glass.

A: Cloudy light orange with a 2 finger, off white head. Nice retention and pretty lacing. Good size bubbles rising up to a foamy top.

S: Citrus, fresh pine tree, and toddler mattress (If you know what I mean). I also get a far away hint of malt and sour orange.

T: Did I just bite into a grapefruit? Yes, juicy citrus fruit and a bit of a peek-a-boo malt hint. I thought that by the smell I was going to get some sweetness, but NO, this is Stone all the way!! Hops!!!!

M: A very dry and clean finish, with the astringent qualities you would find in sour grapes. Nice carbonation and thirst quenching for sure.

D: No doubt I can have a few of these, but I'm a fan of Crystal Malt and that would have brought it home for me...of course, that is my personal preference.

Epilogue: Good beer if you are a die hard hop-head, just not what my palate craves.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber to snifter.

A: Light orange. Very light for an IPA. Thick frothy head, very small bubbles -- lots of lacing. Hazy - no direct light is passing through. Can't really see any carbonation.

S: Strong citrus fruit smell. Along with pineapple, pear, and a bready smell.

T: Upfront hops -- citrus tanginess, a little tart. There's plenty of bitterness but it doesn't come across as too dry (IMO). Pretty juicy. Malts have some sweetness. Also getting a little alcohol - more than I prefer. And I'm also getting sort of a slight peppery flavor at the back.

M: Medium body. Not loose at all. I might even be a medium to fuller body - maybe. I cant see the carbonation but I can feel it. Not too dry.

D: Not bad. I love the smell. But the flavor didn't keep up. The alcohol is a bit more noticeable than I would have liked. Solid beer.

Pours a clean golden yellow with flashes of orange and lively bubbles of carbonation that dance below the foamy, feather white head that very patiently leaves a hearty lacing behind.

Citrus and floral hops traditional of an American IPA as well as the citrus yeast more traditional of an English style as advertised. There is also some sweetness hidden in there as well as citrus zest.

The flavor offers similar citrus hop bite accompanied by the same yeast as the aroma, with even more citrus character and floral hops with hints of spice.

Medium bodied that went down smooth. Definately a good summer beer that I had on a nice cool day with an ocean breeze. Perfect beer to chill to.

Serving type: bottle poured into a tulip glass.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange juice color. Thick, long-lasting head with the consistency of bath bubbles. Beautiful lacing.

S: Citrus and pine, followed by dry hoppiness. Malt presence is very faint.

T: Equal parts dry hops and roasted malt.

M: Crisp and light, with heavy carbonation.

D: This bomber disappeared way too quickly. This is my first Stone anniversary ale, and I will definitely be stocking up before it's gone.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

A: This beer is definitely not clear. It's a muddy orangish color with a nice white head on it that stayed throughout. Nice lacing comes with it.

S: There are hops present but not nearly what you'd think you'd smell with an IPA that is 100 IBU's. Actually it's absolutely not at all what you would expect from this beer. If anything I pick up a little malty sweetness over a hint of earthy hops. It's quite pleasant.

T: Up front there is an awesome malty goodness to this beer that lingers to the point of asking yourself if there are any hops at all. Then it hits you. A bit of dryness starts to creep in and you can taste the hops. Your mouth gets more and more bitter until you find yourself taking another drink. All I can say is this is amazing. I spent some time in England and although I had some really tasty beers over there I don't remember having one as good as hits. I welcome any of you Brits to send me an IPA you think can beat this one out :) The more I hold on to this beer the less I get of the malt and the bitter hops shine through. This one feels very complex if not for any other reason but that I'm just not used to the hops in here. You owe it to yourself to pick this one up, it won't last long.

3.66/5  rDev -4.9%

A very interesting offering from Stone. Not what I expected at all from an IPA and you might have to set aside some notions regarding IPA's to appreciate this product.
750 ml bottle. Pours a light gold, slightly hazy appearance. Smell is quite restrained. No piney resins, just a subtle citrus tone.
First impression is actually about mouthfeel, rather than taste. An interesting prickly, effervescent sensation on the tongue, followed by a spicy, almost peppery feel. Bitter on the finish, but the moderate citrus notes and almost sweet aftertaste helps balance this. Piney, resinous tones in here too, but not overwhelming. Dry.
Pretty drinkable due to the moderate carbonation level.
Not sure I understand this well. I will certainly buy more to improve my education.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Haven't done a review for a while. Got to drinking this beer and thought this would be a good time to get back to reviewing.

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint.

A- Pours a pale, slightly murky orange hue. Fluffy white head plumes above the rest of the beer, dissipating fairly quickly and leaving some patchy lacing.

S- A nice burst of floral hops, backed by a zesty citrusy hop presence. Very lemony. Also get some bready yeast, and sweet malt in the nose. Just a slight twinge of alcohol.

T- Not the juicy hop presence that would be expected of an American DIPA, but still retains a bit of the zesty, lemony hop profile. Nice big surge of spicy, bitter hops, supported by a bready maltiness. I really like the mix of the bitter, piney hops, and the sweet bready malt. Really gives this beer a nice finish.

M- Has a nice chewy, bready mouthfeel. The kind of body I would expect from an english style DIPA. Excellent carbonation level throughout.

D- An intriguing beer that definitely gets better as it goes. However, it doesn't really leave you screaming for more at the end. Possibly a bit to full bodied to be a "very drinkable" beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a hazy pale straw color. Medium viscosity. Egg shell thin head. Super small bubbles make a creamy head. Soapy splotchy lacing. Nose is very revealing of a citrus type ipa. Pineapple is dominant with hints of pine and grapefruit shining through at moments. Initial sip is a little spicy on the lips. A resinous bitter reconizable IPA malt starts at the front and then transforms into a odd roasty finish. Almost like a roasted nutty type taste. Really odd and off-putting for an IPA. Everything was awesome about this beer until the finish kicked in. Kind of odd brew to have a Stone label on it. Maybe thats why this isn't an A rated beer. It has all of the makings for a great example for a strong IPA profiled brew but gets lost with its finish. A usual hop head may even think this beer isn't fresh with the finish it leaves. Still a solid brew but im not digging the finish. I would advise to drink this fresh due to the type of nose/smell it produces.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a nearly opaque gold/amber with a beautiful foamy head booming to the rim. A solid 2 fingers worth that settles to a rocky 1 finger seafom that really lasts. Sticky lacing abounds. Overall a GREAT looking IPA

S - Citrusy hops with a lot of pineapple and grapefruit coming through strong. Very fruity nose with just a hint of the ABV

T - The taste of crisp grapefruit up front giving way to a sweeter, more tamed maltiness. Finishes with a sticky bitterness that hints of grapefruit. Very nice IIPA.

M - Great feeling beer. Very big bodied with enough carbonation to make it feel incredibly crisp and fresh. The heavy carbonation pairs harmoniously with the grapefruit notes to make this one smooth as butter without too dry or bitter of a finish.

D - Very Drinkable, especially for the alcohol content. Clean, crisp, and citrusy without any off flavors to be found. I would like to pair this next to Ruination and see how my taste buds discern between the two.

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%

A - Gold in color, good head, nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Lemon zest, citrusy smell, with a touch or earthiness. Not as hoppy as I would expect based on the style of beer.

T - Taste is very surprising malty sweetness followed up with an earthy bitterness.

M - Very crisp beer to start, and leaves a dry feel on the tounge.

D - Not my favorite brew from Stone. Very creative on their part in come up with a very one of a kind beer. But I feel there are better tasting beers in its class. Worth trying once, since this will be the last time that they make it.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into a bulbous tulip

A - Super hazy, golden glow reminiscent of an American Wheat. Soapy white respectable head with spotty lacing.

S - Citrus like orange pulp, pine, faint apple, wood, earth and sweet malt.

T - Pretty close to the nose, lots of mild citrus and apple and a sort of earthy English hop tinge and more wood. Long lingering bitterness that isn't as punchy as an all American hop IPA, just kind of meh. Malt is present put nothing to wax poetic about and a slight tinge of alcohol.

M - Nice medium mouthfeel, a little oily and middle of the road carbonation.

D - Really easy to drink for nearly 9% but if Doc Brown and I were to hop in the Delorean and go back to the super market I probably would have picked up Ruination or Sublimely-Self Righteous. Not one of Stone's best offerings but a worthy experiment.

A - Light orange with a bit of haze in there. Nice white fluffy heady. A very clean looking IPA.

S - Lots of sweet caramel malt notes mixed in with pine and citrus hop aroma. There is a lot of West Coast in this glass blended nicely with the English malts. A Very interesting aroma.

T - Definitely a British style beer. Lots of malt character mixed nicely with that Stone hop character of bitterness and pine. A nice balance overall but nothing mind blowing.

D - I would definitely seek this one out again but with that said it is not the best Stone brewed IPA I have had. Its an interesting mix of the two style but ultimately comes up a bit short of being a great beer.

4.82/5  rDev +25.2%

Beautiful golden color. Very clear. Soft white head that left behind a lot of really nice lacing. Smell is fresh citrus all the way (grapefruit is the main smell I picked up). Taste was amazing! Very crispy fruity taste with a nice hop bitterness on the back end. Mouthfeel is very good not to full but not thin by any means. Wow what an amazing brew! I've always been a big fan of Stone and this beer definitely furthers my love. Very drinkable with no sign of alcohol. I would love for this to be a year round or atleast seasonal release. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a few more bottles for my collection.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Even before pouring I noticed this brew had the appearance of a wheat beer; cloudy, unfiltered wheat style. Poured nice with sufficient head to release a nice hoppy aroma... not unique in any way but very nice nonetheless.

The taste was very pleasing. A bit of citrus and pine with a heavy bitterness. As with other IPA's, it left me with a want for more sweetness to balance out the bitter. The feel was light on the tongue with a full body experience... interesting balance.

Another solid edition to the IIPA family but with not much new going on here. I could have another, but I wouldn't dream about it after it was gone.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

A. Orange cloudy color with a good head and good retention

S. Citrus hob smell

T. orange with slight alcohol taste dry feel

M. full bodied smooth with slight carbonation

D. Very drinkable enjoyed in pint glass

Another great beer from Stone Brewing.

2.01/5  rDev -47.8%

A- Nice pale yellow straw color with a good foam head. A chill haze present.

S- Hops. sweetness, some citrus- lemon and grapefruit

T- Noble hop bomb. Extremely bitter to the point of assaulting your taste buds. A little hot from the alcohol. Feels like Im sucking on grapefruit rind. No malt whatsoever.

I love Stone beers and everything they do. They are one of my fav breweries and still will be after this review but...This is the first beer from Stone I do not love. Matte of fact I think it completely misfires.
This beer is a noble hop bomb but not in a good way. This beer assaulted my tastebuds to the point where it ruined my palate fairly quick. Mind you, I love Stone Ruination, so for a beer to do this to my tongue is fairly impressive. After about half way through my first glass from the 22oz bomber, my taste buds were shot. Stone usually has a way for even thier most ambitious beers to have a certain balancing act as not to completely ruin your mouth. This didn't deliver
Sorry Stone, I love you guys, but this beer missed.
I actually have another bottle Im going to age for a couple years, just to see what it does. Should be interesting.

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured from 22oz into a tulip.

I had two bottles brought to me in August straight from the brewery. Drank one that night, cellered the other one, but did it wrong and it started to skunk, so drank it while it was still saveable. The below is from notes on the first beer, which was in bottle for less than 72 hours.

A: When poured correctly into the tulip a pronounced head is left that will support the bottle cap. The head isn't going anywhere either leaves lacing all the way down that clings fast and doesn't slowly migrate down the glass. The beer is a hazy yellow, but a little darker than other IPA's, such as Stone's Ruination.

S: It's an IPA, so first off you smell hops, followed by more hops, then a little pine smell, followed by hops again. Once your olfactory senses have been sufficiently stunned into submission, other nuances of the beer become apparent such as citrus notes and some flower essences that I can't peg exactly. The effect is to definitely let you know this is an IPA, but nothing really stands out above the rest.

T: Citrusy and hoppy are the two best adjectives here. They both combine in equal amounts to give you a unique IPA taste. This is however, a lot lighter on the hops presence then one would expect from an Emperial IPA and especially from Stone. It comes across a bit reserved as if Stone pulled back at the last minute from making a more substantial IPA.

M: The feel is OK, but a bit over carbonated for an IPA, this combined by an overly dry feeling, leave me less than impressed.

D: The brew didn't live up to what I've come to expect from DIPA styles and from Stone. While I wouldn't turn a glass of this down, I wouldn't spend my own money on another bottle or glass. Instead, for a good IPA and Stone product, I would turn back to Ruination.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow! I got 2 bottle of this beer in the cellar and did not want to open them due to the rarity of the beer in my location. A local bar had it on tap so I had to try it. It was simply incredible. The hop character was very earthy and not as citrusy as a normal IPA. I am getting ahead of myself. It poured a nice golden hew with a minimal white head that laced all the way down the glass. The aromas that came out of the beer were fantastic. Earthy, hoppy, and some pale malt came through. Now, back to the flavors. It was a very drinkable beer for the ABV and the smoothness kept me wanting more. Hats off to Stone on their 14th anniversary beer. I cannot wait to see how it tastes in a year or two.

4.9/5  rDev +27.3%

Exceptional on all fronts.

Appearance - Beautiful gold/pale with lots of floaties. Wonderful dense and frothy head.

Nose - deliciously hoppy nose! As soon as i popped the cap you could smell the citrusy hops. Mind blowingly intense nose.

Taste - Fascinating! Very bright and fresh malty notes combine with an aggressive tropical hop profile. Some tropical fruit notes - possibly pineapple with some passion fruit? The brightness of this beer is wonderful. Really glides across the palette and sparks the wonder factor hugely. Malty notes are sparkly and refreshing with a bitter finish that is very refined and appreciated.

mouthfeel - exceptional. perfect mouthfeel - bright and hoppy with a fullbodied but not cloying in any way.

drinkability - excellent. potent brew though.

conclusion: one of the most exceptional IPAs i've had the pleasure of drinking. Absolutely spot on for the style and my favorite of all the stone brews. Three thumbs up!

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

As an English IPA it misses the style; it is an Imperial IPA . The ingredients were English, except the treated water, but the style is Imperial as implied in the spelling Emperial which implies something different has been done.

Aroma - Hops with no detectable malt

Appearance - gold with orange tint. Little to no head.

Flavor - aroma did not mis-lead all hops. Very little malt tasted. Long aftertaste of hops a little harsh and bitter.

Texture - light body but astringent.

Overall a strong hop tonic. Never sure what "drinkability" means (Bud Light?) but one was enough.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

I'll apologize in advance for this thin review, but this was the final beer I had at a Stone tasting and while I remember citrus notes, particularly grapefruit and lemon, the hops were the star of this brew...as you might imagine.

In a word, it was a MF'er. Huge nose, Huge taste, and Huge (but not overpowering) alcohol. Finished dry...almost tart.

I don't know if I could many of these, but I sure enjoyed what I had.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing Co.