Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic AleStone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
theklep

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

This is one of those beers that you probably have to have another session with to truly appreciate. But, first impressions are what counts right? I picked up a bomber earlier today and poured it into a Stella Artois chalice. Golden yellow with a hint of orange, and a pleasant head. I really like this incarnation. It is like a hybrid of a belgian and a light Chardonnay. I imagine that this will become a much more pronounced beer as years go by. But I do enjoy the lightness in comparison to the usual hoppy beers Stone offers. I am happy they came up with a light faire this year as last year was a little too dark for my tastes. Really well done and I am sure a year from now it will be even more exceptional.

10-13-2010 08:09:03 | More by theklep
chumba526

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

This ale appears a light golden color with a small white head.

.It smells slightly of a sweet white wine. The grapes are quite noticeable in the smell. There is a sweet sugary smell as well to the beer. As well as some floral notes. It smells quite complex.

It tastes slightly like a white wine. There is an acidity and earthy flavor that I associate with white wine. There is a very floral and herbal flavor going on in the beer as well. I also get a bit of a honey flavor to the beer as well. There is also a bit of alcohol heat to this beer, but it blends nicely with the other flavors. The taste ends with a slight bitterness. A nice floral flavor lingers on the palate.

The carbonation seems natural. The carbonation is moderate low. It complements the beer perfectly.

The drinkability is pretty good for being high in alcohol. Though all I can drink is one 22 ounce bottle of it.

Overall an amazing, creative, complex beer that pushes the boundaries. It seems to be a fusion between a semi-sweet white wine and a tripel. I can see why many don't like this beer as the flavor is quite unlike most beers. i think this is a beer your either going to love or hate. I am going to pick up a few more of these.

10-16-2010 02:37:47 | More by chumba526
Khazadum

4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

When I heard a relatively accessible bar was going to be tapping Vertical Epic I knew I had to schedule my day around it. All activities were leading up to that fantastic moment as I sat on the couch of Lincoln Park Whole Food's and began sipping this beer. Seemingly twelve ounce pour into a tulip-like glass.

A- Honeyrod golden body with a generous collar, middle of the lake cirrus clouds float until this beer was finished being consumed. Tons of carbonation. Absolutely truck loads. Dozens of streams danced their way up the fluid. It was a bit turbid and hazy to see through. The lacing never lasted long enough for me to be ultimately happy with it.

S- Heavily reminded of a super sweet belgian. Almost sickeningly sweet, almost. Initially it was floral notes and a hint of funk. The aroma evolves throughout the experience. Brown sugars and what has to be the chamomile come forward as it lingers in the glass.

T- Heavily sweet. It borders a candied beer with nausea. Borders, though. It never fully crosses into that territory. The funk exists in the finish along with a noticeable hop presence that fades quickly. Great residue on the tongue that reminds me of creme brulee burnt sugar. The middle flavors should be noted as acetic sourness with love. Tender, like I like it sprinkled on food.

As the beer warmed, the sweetness fades and is replaced with a new bittersweet complex. The sour starts coming out more into its own place, which is obviously the grapes. Some nice wine qualities. Awesome.

M- Full, heavily carbonated, residues on the lips, tongue, and soft palate all differ from each other. Each one lovely in their own way. Hops to the lips, creme brulee to the tongue, and a varying mixture elsewhere.

D-Here is a beer I would love to drink on a weekly basis. It tastes great, never overwhelms, blends the alcohol in perfectly. There are zero real complaints, and all compliments for stone on this one. Room for improvement of course, but not much. Easy, easy, easy to consume and love all at once.

10-15-2010 00:02:14 | More by Khazadum
tbrown4

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +21%

22 oz. -> Duvel Tulip. Paired with spicy black bean soup and fresh French bread. This is my 4th or 5th time with this brew, decided I should sit down and review it. BA review #51

A - Hazy dark gold, 1 finger white bubbly head

S - yeasty, sweet, light spice, grape notes

T - if I had done a blind taste I would have called this a tripel. It has a rich flavor profile of sweet, light spice and hints of grape. It's sweet on the lips and finishes like a white wine. Opens up wonderfully as it warms.

M - Coats and leaves pretty quick, but the sweetness stays on the lips.

D - Good sipper. Split the big bottle in to two servings. I'm curious as to how this one would age. At $7.50 a bottle it's a fair price. I'd definitely drink again, in fact I'm going to visit my local shop to pick up the last of what they have.

02-25-2011 01:50:09 | More by tbrown4
tchenery

4.53/5  rDev +20.5%

The beer pours a very crisp yellow/orange color shading on the light side. It has a reddish hue to it that is reminiscint of strawberries. It has very little head on it but is showing some carbonation.

It has a faint smell. It smells almost like a Belgian pale ale with a hint of zest to it. There is a peppery smell to it that has trace saison characteristics. It's appealing and unique.

The taste is very spritzy and very forward. I was blown away on the first sip and sat here thinking of the words to use in description. If I didn't know there were grapes in this beer, I might have picked it up on the mouthfeel at the end of the taste. It is very similar in feel to a floral white wine. It carries the pepper from the aroma into the taste as well. It may be an herbal pepper, but it is a bit 'hot' as well. This is probably one of the most different and unique beers I have ever tried.

It's a big beer and it's definitely a sipper. Enjoy it though. I wish I bought a second one of these to put away for a while, as I'm sure it would mellow and mature very nicely.

03-10-2011 02:24:12 | More by tchenery

12-27-2012 04:47:46 | More by HaveUSeenMyCellar
Brent

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

While I've always been intrigued by the Vertical Epic releases, and admire the creativity endowed in each, none of the releases so far have really hit it out of the park for me - until now - this 10/10/10 version is one impressive beer. Not sure that I can grasp all the brewing elements, but the grapes are clearly evident. Interestingly, they lend a fruityness without imparting a noticeable wine aspect. Lively without being fizzy and a nice bit of spicyness to the beer. There is a touch of a raw edge that I'm curious to see if a little age might smooth it down a bit. Normally, I put back one of each of these for the eventual vertical, but I think a few more of this year's edition will find a home in the cellar.

10-19-2010 19:55:47 | More by Brent

01-25-2013 14:18:59 | More by phishbone23
artcurtis

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured into a Great Divide Tulip.
A - Pours a really nice coppery golden color. Crystal clear. Very little head that dissipates almost immediately. Quite a nice looking beer.
S - Wow. Great nose on this. Smells strongly of tripel/Golden ale. Definitely getting that classic tripel yeast smell. Also definitely some booze. There is a bit of sweet grape, or maybe some sugary sweetness there as well.
T - Definitely a tripel. Definitely grapes added as well. Given the addition of grapes (especially muscat) and Belgian candy sugars, I was worried that this was going to be a sugar bomb. I was worried it would have a quad type sweetness in a golden ale. I needn't have worried. The grape/sweetness is nice and balanced. The tripel comes through strong first, this has a bit of funk to it, but not much. Then the grapes and booze come in and give a nice wine like sweetness, with some complimentary wine booze notes. This really blurs the line between beer and wine for me.
M - Very clean and crisp. A little bit of resin remains on my lips. Quite interesting.
D - The booze in this really shows up. But other than that, this is super drinkable. I don't know if I'd really like a second bottle, but I'd be willing to try. At the very least, one goes down smooth.
This is my first experience with the Vertical Epic. Too bad I missed the previous incarnations. Hopefully I can find a generous soul on 12/12/12.

10-16-2010 06:02:05 | More by artcurtis
Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.