Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic AleStone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Brown120

12-20-2012 08:44:08 | More by Pecan
DNICE555

Connecticut

2.53/5  rDev -32.7%

On tap at Eli's. I noticed it was a Belgian Strong Ale and I almost didn't order it but I love stone. A 12oz pour of a pretty clear orange body with some remnants of head by the time it got to me. Smell that funky Belgian Yeast. Gross. Smells like a big girl sitting around me has a yeast infection. Tastes just like it smells. I get some nice spices and the faint hint of some hops but as with most Belgians the yeast funk is overwhelming and make me wanna throw the glass at the bar. This is about as drinkable as a cup of apple juice with grain alcohol poured in it.

10-28-2010 18:14:05 | More by DNICE555
MufflnMan

2.58/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured into a wine glass. Light chardonnay color. Nose is sweet and flowery, can definitely smell the grapes in there. Taste follows the nose which I find cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel was thin but drinkable. Wanted to like the merging of wine and beer but felt there was a clash between the two going on here.

04-05-2011 04:10:00 | More by MufflnMan
Knapp85

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

Just wasn't what I was hoping for. I expected it to be a bit hoppier or something but it just wasn't my favorite brew. Kind of disappointing to me. I knew it was gonna be Belgian and thats fine but it just seemed weak to me. Not sure why but I wasn't able to come up with anything epic about it.

03-28-2011 00:55:32 | More by Knapp85
MbpBugeye

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

On tap at Bodega on 10/20/10.

A- Served in one of Bodega's 10oz glasses. These things never do much for head retention, appearance or aroma for beers. It came to me with barely any head at all, just some floating film of bubbles. It quickly dispersed and left me with a pretty flat looking beer with no lacing. The beer is a cloudy golden white.

S- Strange smell. White grapes are strong as is a Belgian tripel type of spice. Acidic, vinous and sharp grapes. A chalky, earthy, estery yeast aroma lies underneath.

T- Pretty bizarre, especially on the first few sips. Acidic, nearly tart, dry white grapes. The white wine characteristics are layered on top of a more traditional tripel style of flavors. Peppery spice, dry earthiness, apples and pears.

D- Ive never really thought any of the Vertical Epics have been stellar beers, this one if my least favorite of them all.

10-21-2010 19:38:02 | More by MbpBugeye
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

Pale, clear, bubbly, with a light half finger of head that produces no lacing.

Aroma is sweet, with a hint of caramel, grapes and tart citrus.

Taste is slightly malty, slightly tart and sour, with a bit of funk to it. Hops are spicy, with a touch of zesty citrus.

Feel is crisp, and light, though upper light in body. High effervescent carbonation.

Fair drink. It's unique and I will finish my pour, but it is not my bag..not even close. Shouldn't be a problem holding onto my bottle for a few years; we'll see what happens.

01-09-2011 02:40:05 | More by EgadBananas
brewtus

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours clear orangish with a small quick fading head

Smells like apple, don't get too much else.

Tastes like Carmel apple, weird. Slightly sour, slightly malty, missing the hops.

Overall I liked the idea of drinking this, really disappointed in the beer, I love Belgian IPAs but I don't get the IPA favors at all, no hops, no pine, only a little bit of citrus. To be fair this may have been a storage issue since I picked it off shelves in December of 2012. I hate rating a stone so low, but this didn't do it for me.

01-14-2013 02:08:34 | More by brewtus
Beerenauslese

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a clear gold. Head is weak and quickly dissipates to nothing.

Smells lightly malty and winey. Kind of like a wine with malt.

Taste is grapey sour, sauvignon/muscat with malt.

Body is light and carbonation is minimal, very flat mouthfeel.

This is beer trying to be a wine and it doesn't work. Tastes are all over the place with no integration.

11-06-2010 03:24:18 | More by Beerenauslese
emmasdad

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Picked this one up yesterday afternoon, and as I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the majority of these Vertical Epic efforts, I expected nothing different here. Pours a clear medium golden color, with a diminishing white head that is gone within moments. On the nose I get some Welch's white grape juice, some fruity Belgian esters and white pepper. On the palate, the wine grapes are noticeable, and help lift up an otherwise pedestrian tripel. Lightly hoppy, with a long, lingering bitter finish. Decent, and certainly drinkable, but nothing epic, whatsoever.

10-18-2010 03:07:44 | More by emmasdad

tuka

05-21-2012 03:15:28 | More by tuka
SDtastentune

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, I usually don't drink such beers so light tasting & smelling... I'm a hop head and this certainly is no IPA.

A - Poured golden and pure, not much head or lacing. See through & sorta fizzy.

S - Not much going on here ,kinda sweet/wine smell.

T - Light & Belgian/Heineken/german/ minimal after taste.

M - Medium to light & fizzy, easy drinking faint wine/vine thing going on.

D - Easy drinking, light, no problem finishing this one Pt. Kinda tasty but I know its designed to be aged to December 12 2012. Very aggressive Belgian style if you like that... Me I'm more of a hop head that requires some sort of "bite" or cringe. I respect its made from grapes and has a high alcohol volume (9.5%). Good "different" beer.

10-13-2010 23:20:51 | More by SDtastentune
Thorpe429

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours golden with a bit of haze. Slight white head and a moderate amount of lacing. The initial nose is quite weird. Some strange spicing and a bit of grape and mild fruits. The taste is a bit of an improvement, but as of right now this thing is really just a mess. The spicing, grapes, and base beer really don't go together very well. Feel is a bit spicy. Hopefully this mellows out over the next two years, as this is not the best addition to the series, especially after a really nice offering in 09.09.09.

11-03-2010 21:41:00 | More by Thorpe429
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured into my Chimay goblet and this ones looking cloudy and yeasty.. A pale golden with a surprisingly small head...

Lots of yeast present in the aromas... Also a super strong vinous aspect... Almost like a wine mixed with a Belgian... Slight spiciness perhaps but mostly lots of wine aromas.. Pretty disappointing....

Lots of vinousness present in the tastes as well... Almost overpowering actually... There is some yeastiness and spiciness as well but they definitely take a backseat to the grapes used here....

I wasn't crazy about this one.... Perhaps with some time it will blend together better but as of now it just didn't do it for me...

10-26-2010 21:44:26 | More by Tilley4
Bendurgin

Maine

2.85/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured this one into a tulip. The body is a light clear golden yellow with only a thin layer of head and an obscene amount of visible carbonation. Based on the description of this one, I had expected a bit more from the aroma, however, I can only faintly smell white grape juice, Belgian yeasts, grainy wheat aromas and a bit of bitter hops. On second thought, there really is a lot going on in this, but almost too much. The taste is dry and reminds me of white wine more than beer. I can certainly taste the grapes and it seems this is a little tart. The finish is kind of spicy and peppery. The mouthfeel is pretty intense actually, it's hot a prickly. The carbonation actually seems to be a bit much and the spiciness kind of dominates the pallet. Not my favorite offering from Stone. This beer is hot and kind of confusing.

10-21-2010 21:52:14 | More by Bendurgin
psycle

2.85/5  rDev -24.2%

Color is like a golden orange and not much head at all. Smells a bit fruity like the wine grapes they used for this brew. Tastes pretty much the way it smells. Perhaps a little too sweet. Also a spicy character on the finish. Thin mouthfeel with less than average carbonation.

An interesting beer but I would definitely wait til 2012 to try again. Hopefully this will get better with age.

12-05-2010 05:11:37 | More by psycle
jsh420

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

pours cloudy golden orange (lots of sediment) 1 finger fizzy white head that left no lacing

smell - i get those grapes and then i get the earthy spicy yeast notes

taste - again the grapes hit my tongue first followed by the yeast with a finish/aftertaste of cereal grains

mouthfeel - not what i was expecting and i am not a fan - it was very juice like with a little bet of carbonation

overall - was not a big fan of the flavor and was not a fan of the mouthfeel - yet another stone beer back to back where i could not finish my half of the bomber

03-22-2011 02:29:17 | More by jsh420
Schmittymack

Colorado

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured into trusy shaker glass. Pourd an orangeish color with very little head and no lacing. Aromas of malt and citrus; taste was banana and clove with no hop bitterness whatsover. I'm glad I'm not doing the whole veritical as this one is quite depressing.

10-15-2011 07:05:40 | More by Schmittymack
Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.