Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic AleStone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-02-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a clear golden with a thin off-white head that retains OK. The aroma is impressively unique with a ton of white grape notes, along with some green apple and chamomile, a little honey and candi sugar, belgian yeast, wheat, a little funk and some alcohol...very unique and intriguing. The flavor has a winey edge upfront with white grape and green apple notes, along with some white pepper and chamomile, honey and candi sugar, funky yeast and a touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit sharp, and drinkability is very good considering the ABV. A unique twist on a tripel, certainly out of the box but still very tasty.

silver0rlead, Oct 20, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a clear golden orange color that produced a good white head that dissipated quickly to bubbles.

(S)- A floral tripel character. Chamomile obviously present with a lightly tart and sweet white grape in front of an earthy clay/lemon/banana profile.

(T)- Very similar to the smell only backwards. An earthy bite up front with lemon peel citrus. Some bitter floral aspects. Finishes with a lightly tart white grape flavor.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. Fruity and mildly tart and sweet. Has a bizarre bitter floral kick to it that I am not sure I like, but it does keep it interesting.

(D)- An interesting take on the style for sure, but this either needs serious age time or something. I love Stone, but I am not sure how I feel about this one.

sweemzander, Oct 19, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

While I've always been intrigued by the Vertical Epic releases, and admire the creativity endowed in each, none of the releases so far have really hit it out of the park for me - until now - this 10/10/10 version is one impressive beer. Not sure that I can grasp all the brewing elements, but the grapes are clearly evident. Interestingly, they lend a fruityness without imparting a noticeable wine aspect. Lively without being fizzy and a nice bit of spicyness to the beer. There is a touch of a raw edge that I'm curious to see if a little age might smooth it down a bit. Normally, I put back one of each of these for the eventual vertical, but I think a few more of this year's edition will find a home in the cellar.

Brent, Oct 19, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass a burnt orange tinged medium golden witha fluffy one finger white head atop that left no trace of lace behind as it settled.White grape aromas along with a bit of funk,and sweetish alcohol.The mouthfeel is a bit sharp in the back end,prickly going down.Again big white grape juice (not wine) flavors up front with a some residual toastiness,the funk is subdued,a ginger and clove flavor becomes more noticeable as I drink more.Its pretty good,I guess I might like it more but Iam not a huge fan of the style,still not a bad beer for the new VE.

oberon, Oct 19, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Bought a bottle for now and a bottle for 12.12.12, as I expect many did. Served in a tulip glass. The beer pours crystal clear golden with a bit of an orange hue. The head was moderately thick, white and soda like. The head falls and disappears completely leaving no lacing.

The aroma is very wine like, with strong grape and a floral hops and alcohol. Flavor is fairly complex and dry. The grape and alcohol flavors are mild, but present. Floral hops are still there too. The belgian yeast shows itself more as the beer warms and fits in nicer than I expected it to. Mouthfeel is dry and carbonation is moderate.

This feels to me like Stone trying play the Dogfish game. Overall I think they pulled it off. I wonder how this will change over the next two years.

mjaskula, Oct 19, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Enjoying this freshly purchased bomber with Little Luna.

A - pours a pale orange, with a nice offwhite head. The head is rather small, and the lacing is rather weak, but the beer looks clear and crisp, like a nice belgain pale ale.

S - Very sweet, like a glass of freshly peeled white grapes. A slight malt and alcohol noticed in the end of the wiff.

T - Rather good, the grapes take control of this beer from beginning to end though. As I coat my mouth, a slight hint of yeastiness is present. No noticeable hoppiness, and only a slight malt flavor at the end. This beer taste is very familiar to the nose, so what you smell is what you taste in a sense. The alcohol is very noticeable in the finish. Could use some age.

M - Carbonation is low for the style. Most Belgian styles I am used to have overcarbonation, and this beers lack of bubbles is completely noticeable right after the first taste. The flavor is very pleasing, and the beer is about even for wet mouthfeel with a dry finish. Wierd in that sense, but during the taste, the grape flavor is somewhat sticky in the mouth, but after you finish the drink, your left with a slight dryness. I haven't had much beers like this before.

D - This beer is not offputting with regards to flavor. Though, the heat could be toned down slightly, I found this beer to be relatively drinkable for it's given abv.

O - one of the better of the Stone Vertical Epics IMO, but could have been better. I will have to see how a couple of bottles will age, and if the heat can mellow out, I am sure we could see an A rating for this beer.

abecall98, Oct 18, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

I poured from a bomber into a snifter. It pours hazy straw yellow with a light, wispy 1 inch head. The aroma is sweet grapes, very vinous. The beer is very sweet and dominated by vinous characteristics, finishes crisp. The beer is light bodied, well carbonated, no hint of its high abv. It is an easy drinked, most wine drinkers would like it. Not the beer for me, if I want white wine I would buy white wine.

bonkers, Oct 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass

Poured a light yellow straw color with a small, white head. Had a little sediment in it which made for some cloudiness.

Smelled sweet and alcoholic. You can catch the hints of grapes and wine.

Tastes just like it smells. Has that wisp of wine grapes but not the immediate sour hit of wine. It's got a great combination of additives and the Belgian Triple. The major sweetness and heavy alcohol caused by the candi and fermentable sugars is offset by the chamomile and grapes and it evens out to a great tasting brew.

The mouthfeel is still a bit tart and the alcohol and carbonation plays a role here. It nips a little but its pretty smooth for a triple.

I could easily drink this all night long but would end up on the floor with the 9.5%. I have a wine tasting party coming up and I'm thinking about bringing along a bottle of the 10.10.10 to show the winos how we can do it in beer country.

cjacobsen, Oct 18, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Bought at Whole Foods Pasadena-Arroyo Pkwy,Calif.

Poured a light yellow color into Steinlager glass. Small 1/4" head with carbonation. The smell of grapes and Belgian ale is the first thing I noticed. The taste of grapes is noticable. Mouthfeel is good with a slighty dry back end. Good drinkability that it's not as strong tasting as I thought it would be. Okay, a couple of glasses in, I'm starting to feel the abv. Another good Epic.

Westsidebuddha, Oct 18, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +9%

My wife picked up a bottle of this for me.

Appearance- dark golden color, head dissipates quickly

Smell- wine grapes, spice

Taste- grapes, very interesting flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability- very good, I liked it a lot

jeffjeff1, Oct 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a finger of lightly tanned head over a clear rich-golden liquid. Nice streamers running to keep the head supplied. Smells of musty grapeskins, mild brettanomyces, earthy yeast, flattened waxy clove phenol. Mild lemon, tang mix, some oxidized character, and frozen peas.

Tastes light grapey, green apple, clean clove, and belgian candi sugar. Earthy yeast and nice peppery zip that has a bit of ginger character to it. Nice malt sweet carried on a thick body that gives an interesting grape leaf flavor overall. Alcohol is present throughout in a positive contributing way. Mild carbonation works well with the flavors and the body for a wonderful experience. Me likey.

mentor, Oct 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Just picked this up from Bierkraft in Brooklyn. Poured into my Stone Imperial Russian tulip.

A - small quickly diminishing head. Great color on this beer though.

S - Smelly yeasty and a bit spicy. Definetly smells like a belgian strong pale.

T - Just as the smell indicated, belgian strong pale. i taste white grapes which is nice. A bitter finish at the end. Yeasty. Maybe a hint of lemon zest.

M - Medium body, not too thick. High carbonation makes a little hard to take down easily, but it still does go down nicely.

D - A little bit of strong alcohol but i like my beer that way. This goes down pretty smooth

All and all i really enjoyed this beer. Im usually not the biggest fan of this style of beer but this was nice. I have a second bottle to age until 2012 and i cannot wait to see what that turns out like. I really love stone beers and i think the whole vertical epic thing is a really cool and interesting idea. I just wish i could have gotten into it when it started. Sucks that I was 13 haha. oh well at least i get to enjoy the last 3 in the sereis. But again this beer was definetly worth it.

JizackFH, Oct 18, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Picked this one up yesterday afternoon, and as I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the majority of these Vertical Epic efforts, I expected nothing different here. Pours a clear medium golden color, with a diminishing white head that is gone within moments. On the nose I get some Welch's white grape juice, some fruity Belgian esters and white pepper. On the palate, the wine grapes are noticeable, and help lift up an otherwise pedestrian tripel. Lightly hoppy, with a long, lingering bitter finish. Decent, and certainly drinkable, but nothing epic, whatsoever.

emmasdad, Oct 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Grabbed a few of these at my local booze-pusher for the low-low price of $5.99. Immediately interesting - THREE grape varietals in here (Muscat, Gewurztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc) and chamomile. Belgian pale as the base. Okay.

A. Deep red-gold, a disappointingly tiny head that doesn't fit, and seems a bit lifeless. No lace, no real retention. This seems like a flaw.

S. As this warms and opens up, things get more promising. This is a dry, yeast-forward Belgian with a good amount going on. You have the evident grape juice (white wine notes abound), clove, pepper, what I assume is the chamomile, some herby thing and a little bit of pale malt + sugar. Not the best nose, but curious and fun.

T. Follows suit - an unusual Belgian Strong Pale here. Dryish with some needed malt sugar heft in the mouthfeel, but the white grape is rather forward and adds a highly unusual quality - reminiscent of Allagash Victoria, but I haven't had many brews like this. There's a tidbit of lemon peel and pepper here, but the real star is the grape juice, which lends a sophisticated mustiness ('cause grapes are for cultured people) and some odd sweetness.

M / D. Medium body here, mid-low carbonation - I would have preferred a much more effervescent beer.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the 10.10.10. It is treading into some new territory and gets praise for that, but it could immediately be made better by fixing the carbonation / head retention issues and to be honest the base beer (sans grape) simply isn't that compelling. A curious, if flawed, beer. However, at the cheap price of $6 a bottle, this is worth a buy.

kkipple, Oct 18, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Clean amber brown with a nice white head that quickly turns into a ring. A good amount of bubbles rising form the bottom.

S: Definitely some Belgian character. Sweet with citrus notes and a bit of an herbal scent which I assume is the chamomile. I'd like to think I can smell the grapes.

T: Sharp, sweet and boozy. Definitely a wine character with a bit of a herbal thing. There is a bit of a sharpness to it. A bit of booze as well.

M: Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Very high carbonation.

D: Interesting but a bit on the strong side. It tastes like it needs a bit of time, but I can see this aging into a great beer.

Beejay, Oct 18, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces an almost three-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a bright, dark gold color that shows a brilliant, perfectly clear (mechanically so even), gold hue with copper highlights when held up to the light. Interesting, in a wincing sort of way, I completely wasn't expecting that, but I actually don't know if I dislike it. The beer smells sort of funky, like a ripe, buttery cheese and a second look has me convinced that this is actually the aromas of the grapes used in this beer; it is a touch catty, somewhat like crushed, still green weeds (to messy to be just grass) and spicy like milk-weed backed by phenolic cloves, some woody pepper and a spiciness that seems characteristic of oak (is this aged in oak, I hadn't thought so). The nose on this is very, very interesting, I am still not quite sure what to think of it, but I am still intrigued.

Lightly sweet tasting at the first sip and it definitely tastes of grapes, funky Sauvignon like flavors some Gewurztraminer acidity along with notes of lime, perhaps a touch of tropical fruit, kiwi notes as well as some grassiness. This has more flavors from grapes than it does from the beer-derived ingredients. The yeast probably plays the biggest secondary role with notes of clove, some warming-spicy alcohol, a touch of ginger and an earthiness that tastes quite a bit like coriander and it also brings out much of the grape flavors noted before. Malt? I am not sure that this plays much of a role here, there is some pale malt character in the middle as well as a touch of cracker like grain, but both of these are subtle next to the expressive grape character. As the beer warms up more of the pale malt presence becomes noticeable. The body of this is not heavy considering the strength, it does have some viscosity to it and it has enough heft to be felt on the tongue; not light by any means, but also not thick or rich.

This will definitely be an interesting one to age. I am really not too sure what to think of this; it certainly is not bad, but the heavy grape focus seems a bit out of place. Despite not really liking the flavors and aromas here, they are so interesting that I am intrigued enough to keep on drinking this and figuring out what is going on; this is a fairly complex beer, it has a lot going on & it is making my head a bit fuzzy (so it can't be all that bad). In the end I'll just have to simply call this beer an experience!

Gueuzedude, Oct 18, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

a white head dissipates quickly, leaving a simple lacing, and a small ring of foam where the glass meets the beer. The smell is boozy, bananas, candy, belgian yeast and stone fruit. The phightin phils (ugh) just took a 1-nuthin' lead over the gints. The beer is lightly puckering with notes of apple, bananas, something subtly sour and spicy. She, who must be obeyed, and is also a wine aficionado, claims that the grapes in this beer are all used in white wine - and you can taste it - and she says that Muscat, in particular, is a very sweet wine. Aw, mouthfeel - yes, it feels good in my mouth. Drinkable - yes, or I would've left a more critical critique. Good beer, it's a good year. Cheers.

berebrando, Oct 18, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a golden honey with a soap bubble head. Smell is strong yeast and cloves, some banana, hops and malt buried behind. Taste follows smell, slightly more noticeable hops and lots of yeasty tastes. More like a triple then a Belgian pale ale. I cant seem to pick up any of the grapes or chamomile. Maybe a slight white wine grape flavor in the finish, but it is mild. Mouthfeel is super dry and a slight bit tart, the carbonation is soft. Drinkability is ok, but for the price i may not revisit this one with so many better Belgians around.

nkersten, Oct 18, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

This beer pours a golden straw color with a slight haze and a thick white head.

The aroma is amazing I get a little bready malt deep under the white wine and bubble gum aromas. If there ever was a white wine bubble gum I can imagine this smells like it would taste.

This beer gets most of its flavors from the yeast. I made a homebrew using some must and a belgian yeast and this has some very similar flavors. This also has some white wine flavor in the after taste.

Very smooth and syrupy texture on the tongue. The alcohol doesn't come through and for a 9.5% beer this is pretty drinkable but definately not something I want tor drink alot of.

JoePat, Oct 18, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured in an MJ tasting glass.

Pours a deep golden color with egg white head (two fingers at first) that does not last. Leaves a whisp of foam on top with some nice lacing.

Aromas are focused around a winey base. No malt, no hops. "White wine" aroma dominates.

First sip is a belgian pale (some malt with lots of yeasty character), with a touch of white wine. Reminds me of a "stimulo" from Witkap. Alcohol is barely noticable.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Almost to the point of puckering. Not a sour pucker, but a dry, almost astringent, pucker. Like a highly oaked dry white wine.

Very drinkable, very refreshing, for such a high gravity beer.

JamnesCameron, Oct 17, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Relatively clear, golden-orange with yeast and minimal head.

Smell: Belgian, herbal.

Taste: Sweet-sour grapes and Belgian yeast with some spices and funk... It's different.

Mouthfeel: It's smooth enough with a lingering finish.

Drinkability: I don't know. If you like Belgians it's good, and the grapes give it a unique sweet and sour funk, but I wouldn't be able to drink this year round.

Norfawkers, Oct 17, 2010

A: Poured a light golden color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Pepper, some fruits, chamomille

T: Plenty of flavor and pop upfront. Pepper, spice, chamomille with a hint of bubble gum and white grapes

M: Good feel, well carbonated, nice amount of booze

D: Not one of the best VE's

barleywinefiend, Oct 17, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Stone was my gateway brewer. I got into beer because of their Stone IPA and eventually Ruination. I have an affinity for them, and I love their brewery, the gardens, their attitude, the whole nine yards.

I did not, however, love this beer.

Appearance: Pours like a Chardonnay, a yellow-ish pale hued brew with hardly any carbonation. Seemed way too flat. Having tried two bottles, I can honestly say this wasn't just a bum bottle, it's just a very low carbed brew. All Lost Abbey jokes aside, perhaps that was what they were going for? Although I can't imagine why. Hardly any lacing and bubbles seem hard to come by.

Smell: Pretty nice, actually. The muscat grapes are the first to peak through, followed shortly thereafter by the herbal chamomile. The hebalness combined with the grapes would instantly make me think wine before I'd ever get to beer. The only real indicator of the beer quality is the Belgian yeast, which becomes more apparent as it warms.

Taste: To be honest, I thought this bland. The smell yields similar tastes, but they are all very thin on the tongue and rapidly dissipate. The grapes are pleasant while they are there, and the herbal qualities are there too, but they are gone as soon as the came, and the palate is left wondering where all the flavors went. It reminds me of a flat champagne to be honest. I made a joke how this was like a Cantillon experiment that never would have left the brewery. Everyone kind of laughed, but it's true: Cantillon does release beers much like this one: they just would have done a few more batches or tossed some wild yeast in there first before it ever would have hit the market.

Mouthfeel: Again, the lack of carbonation really kills this beer. No effervescence at all, making the flavors feel still and slightly off. I don't know if in the next two years the yeast will continue its carbonation adventure, but all we can do is hope.

Drinkability: Alcohol isn't huge. I'd have guessed 7%, only for it to be considerably higher. Outside of that, the drinkability feels a little weak. The flavors aren't assertive enough to really make you want to pick up the glass. I kept putting my pours away, hoping as it warmed it would yield more. It just never did.

I hope I don't seem to harsh, but I was hoping for a lot more here. The flavors are good, they're just thin and fade quickly. I hope over the next two years they can round into something altogether more flavorful, and who knows? Grapes can yield themselves to again. However, I'd say as of right now, the 09.09.09 and the 08.08.08 are both significantly better. I applaud the creativity, I just was left hoping for more across the board.

nomomentwasted, Oct 17, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. OK lacing.

S: A very vinous aroma, with hints of malt and hops.

T: As it is with the smell, the taste has a dominant vinous character. Also has traces of hops, malt, and wheat making for an interesting flavor. Not in keeping with most BSPAs, but is still tasty.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An unusual, but drinkable beer.

avalon07, Oct 17, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

typical color for the style, a glowing golden copper with a very, very, very slight haze. a generous head (though still a bit small for the style) is almost pure white. it sticks around at one-fingered height and leaves some decent lacing.

yeasty aroma with a touch of funkiness likened to a saison, but with some light biscuit malts and plenty of floral characteristics from both the hops and i assume from the hibiscus as well. a bit of fruits and some clove reminiscent of a witbier and some lighter fruitiness maybe coming from the grape additions, though I wouldn't have picked that out without it being labeled on the bottle.

yeasty in the flavor as well. typical belgian pale ale flavors strike first with some belgian tripel fruitiness and booziness coming in next. some green apple sours it up and there is a discernible funk in there too. grapes impart a dry finish, but never come to the forefront of the flavor which seems to be quite a mashup of tons of belgian flavors that don't quite come together. Maybe with some age.

pretty standard for the style, but a bit prickly carbonation on a light/medium body.

drinks ok. boozy and all over the place with too many things going on in the flavor. I like complex beers, and I like stone (a lot), but things just don't completely come together for me. I will still buy another to age to see how things round out, but I'm kind of confused as to what to make of this now.

silentjay, Oct 17, 2010
Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.