Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,386 | Reviews: 780
4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

A- Huge ruby red body with a nice foamy off white head that leaves lacing on the glass

S-Has a nice bold hop bitterness along with dark fruits, maltly love...

T- Diggin it-- Nice and malty, just enough hop to bounce it back to drinkability and has a long lasting finish. Lots of cherry, plum and even rum raisin! mmm

M-Thick and chewy, but is slightly cloying.

D- D is for drinkable... yum

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a deep mohaghany, with a red hue in the light. Thick tan foamy head that doesn't recede quick. Great visible carbonation coming up the side of the glass.

It smells delicious. An instant sharp hoppiness comes through to greet you. Very resinous hop notes, lots of pine, and a bit of citrus. Really a dank nose. There slightly sweet malt backing too.

Taste is right on target. It takes the smoothness and oak notes from Oaked ABA, the warmth of DB, and the aggresiveness of ABA, and turns it into one magical concoction.
An instant hop bite that is prominant throughout. A nice warmth and sweetness comes through and then finishes smokey and woody. Great!

The mouthfeel is somewhere in between ABA and Oaked. Medium to heavy bodied, with a great amount of carbonation. Really well done.

Drinkability is great for me. I love ABA, I love Oaked ABA, and I do quite enjoy DB when I can get my hands on it. If it were brewed on a consistant basis I would absolutely throw this into my go to beer rotation.

Btw, the bottle reads 8.5% abv.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my favorite of the 5 beers I sampled while at Stone Brewery in Escondido. I ended up buying a growler full of it when I left. The American Strong Ale is to the Imperial Double IPA what Round Table Pizza is to the best italian pizza. They are both outstanding, but the Strong Ale just adds that bold American touch that we all know and love.

4.76/5  rDev +14.4%

A - A thick copper tone with a nice head

S - Not too obtrusive. Citrus notes arise when you really get your nose in the glass.

T - Very balanced from the beginning to the end. The citrus in the nose comes into the taste but is far more impressive than the weaker nose.

M - smooth with substance. slightly viscous feel.

D - it's a bit much for some people, but I could drink this buy the case.

4.76/5  rDev +14.4%

The flawless look of AB, the hints of oak from oaked bastard, the extreme oomph from the double bastard, hopped to hell, and flawlessly mixed together. There's nothing left to say about these 3 master pieces. That said I think this blend exemplifies the 3 beers by showcasing the best of all 3 beers and leaving behind their laws. Gone is the mellow effect of the oak, the sometimes too strong hit from the double bastard, but enough extra body that it truly surpasses the AB.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Here then is another one of those balanced beers in which the balance is of all of the elements in extreme. Thus it is my interpretation of balance, not necessarily that of true balance (such as a Northeastern IPA).

Deep coppery color with a tan head. Big, nay giant aroma of hops and malt and a boozy something. Interesting as it is only (only!) 8.5. The aroma is not delivered in the flavor. It is surpassed. Huge citrus-piney goodness upfront, followed by the deep caramel maltiness and finishing with the balance of resin and syrup.. not the alcohol I expected based on the aroma.

Having these guys in my back yard, I am indeed one lucky bastard.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Ruby, burnt sienna color. Could have been a huge head I believe but poured sideways. Nice tan foam with lacing.

This has got a nice malt-caramel aroma that dances around the citrus bite of the hops. There's not a humongous aroma like i'd expected.

Up front is halting and huge dry hops. The dankness overtakes my whole palate until the caramel malt starts to come in. Then it's raisin and prune, bitter and burnt toffee, charred sugar, and tobacco. Lastly, but not leastly, is the oak wood character - faint but prominent.

A rather "large" body. Velvety and rough, while yet smooth on the back end. The dank hops provide a punch in the tongue, and the malts sooth the after-burn.

This is a damn good beer. It's roasty, hoppy, malty, and everything in between. The complexity woes me and I'm still trying to process all of the diverse flavors. A+ in my book

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill. Good to see another Stone beer making it back into rotation. Let's see how this goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark-cooper brown. Murky to say the least, poured out smooth, left behind an impressive 2 inch head that dissipated to just a flutter of foam that continued to leave an impressive and inviting lacing to the bottom.

Smell: First thing that comes to mind upon first aromas is black sugar, molasses, some toffee and a good underlying of lemon zest that comes and goes fairly quickly. Good caramel malts are pretty apparent throughout the whole session.

Taste: First sips and I'm experiencing a pretty heavy rush of zest hops and citrus. Of course upon further inspection and tasting I sense sweet, brown sugar, and some faint piney-like flavors that contribute to the sweet flavors. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, crisp and leaves a somewhat dry-finish on the palate. Goes down decent enough.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I've had good expectations. I really enjoy the limited releases by Stone. This was a really interesting find and I was a little hesitant upon seeing it was a blend of three of arrogant bastard's styles. But everything blended together nice and very balanced. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and would most likely try again. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really hoppy aroma.
This tastes really hoppy, malty and crisp. Sort of tastes like a very hoppy and dark hopageddon but a lot higher quality. I would prefer this over double bastard

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%

to start this beer is great. all three of the bastards tried, and this might be my favorite. it pours a brownish red with a slight tan head. smell is awesome. smells of citrus, hops, and sweet fruit. great taste with fruit-like sweetness hitting the front of the tounge and hops hitting the back. balanced with a mouthfeel that is thick, but not like the double bastard. there is good carbonation, and you can feel it kind of bubble. i could drink a lot of these. but as for right now i think im gonna just enjoy this bomber.

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great flavor. Very smooth. One of Stone's better offerings in my opinion.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Man this beer is great! Just had it and it blew me and my friend away. This is beer is the definition of craft beer. It has so much body and so much flavor. The head on the beer is just like a arrogant basterd and I loved that! The color is a dark brown amberish color. For an American strong ale, this is top of the line! I loved this beer! 9/10

A- Dark Amber, Good amout of White head

S- Nice Carmel Malt Notes, alittle oaky smell, hints of Vanilla

T- very hoppy, but smooth small hint of carmel and vanilla. Just the right amount of oakiness.

M- Medium body.

D- Similar to the original AB. But stronger. Not as harsh as the the DB but oh soo smooth and blended exceptionally

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Had this on tap at the local pub. Poured a blood red color with a nice head and excellent carbonation with the head dissipating. The aroma is predominantly hoppy/piney, with hints of citrus, fruity esters and malts. The taste is very good, with the hops hitting your taste buds upfront with a sweet, fruity, malty finish. The blend of hops and sweetness lingers in the aftertaste. Very good lacing along the glass. All in all, a very solid strong ale from Stone. A strong, in your face brew that is a must-have. Highly, highly recommended.

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%

The Lucky Bastard (Lukcy Basartd). I am employed by Total Wine & More in CA and this is an item I've been looking forward to tasting and reviewing.

Whether you buy into "The Bastard" beers' messages or not it is true that this beer is meant for a certain breed. Liking or disliking it doesn't prove if you have good taste in beer, it's a matter of if you like this style, because no other beer really tastes like a Stone Bastard.

A - The appearance is a crystal clear ruby/blood tinted dark ale color. Although appearance of a beer is one of my least important factors, this one looks outstanding.

S - The smell is not much different to the other three bastards...hoppy of course, with that slight but nice oak from the oaked arrogant. The difference comes in the malts, which dull the hops enough to make it more subtle than any of the other bastards.

T - Almost exactly as the smell. The malts that aren't as present in the other bastards make this blend the most balanced of the group. Gives the drink-ability of a lighter I.P.A. with the flavor of a true strong ale, without compromising either field.

M - Mouth-feel is smooth and silky for a strong ale. Not perfect but just about as good as it gets for a beer in this field.

Overall...
This beer is fantastic. Again, it isn't for everyone but for some like me it'll be exactly what you'd hoped for. Blending all the Stone "Bastard" family into one beer that gives you all the advantages of the 3 and remarkable balance is like a dream come true to me. If you are a Stone/Bastard fan, try one if you can.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

The beer was served in an Imperil Pint glass.

Appearance; This Bastard is a sexy beast! The body of the beer is deep copper amber in coloration. The head is beige with nice head retention. The lacing looks like pancake batter on the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is arrogantly hopped! The hops strike my nose with grapefruit, citrus rind, pine resin. My friend says it smells like bitter Pinesol. Nice caramel vanilla biscuit malty backbone supporting all those hops.

Taste: Dam near perfect flavors! Major hop assault in progress in my mouth. Nice citrus marmalade flavors with grapefruit, zest, thick oily pine resin, pine needles, dives through an oaked caramel biscuit and cuts down into bitterness. Long lasting bitterness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is thick. The beer is full bodied and the carbonation is light. The texture of the beer is hop oily and very smooth on the finish. The alcohol is present but not in an intrusive manner. This is a very nice blend of beers. This bastardized bastard of a beer is smooth. I wish I had another.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

from notes 12/17/10

A: pours deep brown with a dark tan finger and a half head, that leaves a good amount of lacing
S: malty, citrusy and sweet. citrus smells of potent fresh cut grapefruit. malt balances the grapefruit hops.
T: perfect flavor blend. great malt sweetness with good hop beginning and end, long hop aftertaste.
M: smooth, chewy and lightly coating. carbonation is decent.
D: could almost pound this. very balanced flavor. overall good brew/blend. wish it was added to the regular bastard line up.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle with a drink by date of 01/31/13

Ruby red and brilliantly clear. Dense off-white head that lingers nicely.

The nose has plenty of pine and i'm not sure if I have started to get used to this smell or if it dissipates quickly but I lose some pine after just couple minutes.

Medium body with a smooth character overall. Huge background bitterness and just a touch of vanilla. Maybe some oak but I am stretching here. Very carbonated and it finishes very dry. Still that lingering piney bite on the tongue.

It doesn't take long for one's tastebuds to be beaten into submission. Medium caramel throughout. White grapefruit is probably the big citrusy note I get from the hops.

Delicious and well worth the price.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a deep mahogany into a pint glass. There is a minimal head.

The aroma is slightly hoppy, with a very sweet, malty, bread like aroma as well.

The taste is quite nice. Hops, but not overwhelmingly so, sweet maltiness, and just the slightest alcoholic burn at the back of the throat. It's a very mellow mixture, and you can definitely taste
the oak flavor of the oak aged bastard.

The mouth feel is just slightly thick and syrupy. Although it's pretty boozy, it's very mild and pleasant.

Overall, I would recommend this beer, although at double the price of arrogant bastard, I would stick with regular Arrogant bastard most of the time.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

My wife picked this up for me last night at her work.

Appearance- brownish color, good size head

Smell- piney hops

Taste- rich flavor, sweet malt, hops, very balanced and very interesting

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was very good. I will be trying to get some more.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

I finally tracked down the last Bastard! ... Which is simply a blend of the bastards I HAVE tried... but also DRY-HOPPED! I can't wait. It says "DIRNK ME NOW" and "DON'T CELALR"... Too bad. I DID cellar it for one night (and I'm sure it would age wonderfully for over a year, too, based on my experience cellaring Arrogant Bastard). But I will drink it now, cellar temperature, in my snifter.

Like every other bastard beer I've beheld, this one is a gorgeous sight. That familiar frothy tan head complementing a deep, shining garnet hue. Awe-inspiring.

It smells of dark cherries and raisins, with accents of pine, citrus zest, vanilla, and a little smoke and leather. A non-specific berry scent too, I think. And of course, DANK HOPS. Love it.

Okay the flavor took me by surprise a bit. A bright, astringent blend of citrus rind and well... DRY hops hits hard and fast like a ninja. We're talking an initial hops assault on the DIPA level here. In the aftermath of this I can taste some caramel, nuttiness, and a dry breadiness wrapping things up. What a ride!

The body is decidedly full, which I am decidedly happy with.

Being a blend of beers I'd already tried, I wasn't sure how distinctive this would be, but I think the dry-hopping made it stand out. Truly an ale worthy of being associated with Stone's prestigious family of bastard beers. It IS the progeny of tho others, after all.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Decided to crack this one tonight during Ghost Hunters...

Pours a rich deep red with a slow but steady forming head atop... Seems a little deeper than regular AB...

Loaded with pungent oily citrus and pine hops, this beer smells incredible... Dark sweet fruits and caramel malts as well... Definitely getting the oak and the deeper maltiness of the Double.... An earthiness as well which I think comes from the oak...

Sweet fruity malts are quickly eclipsed by oily resiny piney goodness that kicks like a mule with the bitterness it brings... Long, slow and intense... Definitely getting some oak as well but those Stone hops are the star and they shine bright here. This is an amazing brew...

This is better than the sum of its parts.... I wish they'd make this a rotational or seasonal at least... The blend of all 3 of these great beers combine to make an awesome world class one... I could drink this til I dropped. When Stone gets it right, they really get it right...

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

22oz bomber from Abe's of Bethlehem, PA. Drank straight from the bottle.

A- N/A from bottle.
S- Very nice IPA citrus aroma with rich, bready malts.
T- Very straightforward and enjoyable! Well balanced and quite possibly the BEER OF THE YEAR. It has the nice maltiness of the double, the nice hop profile of all their beers, and some of the spice that made the straight oak one a little too overbearing. The blend of these 3 beers is truly spectacular.
M- Very nice carbonation and astringent flavor which is full in every way.
D- Very high, esp for 8.5%!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

22oz bobmer itno a Hopus glsas puors a cirsp depe abmer wiht a decetn drak khaik haed. Amora is a ncie belnd of cirsp Erathy hpos adn caramle matls. Teh tatse is an asboluetly wodnreful comlpex belnd of bunrt caramle, pnie hpos, aok adn a hitn of friut. Teh bere is meduim bdoied wiht its aclohol cotnent vrey wele hdiden. Tihs is a trluy icnredilbe berw, I'll be pikcing up mroe of it if it hsan't sodl uot yte!

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Like all of the Bastard versions I've tried, this is great. Smoky, malty. Great deep red/ruby color. Just wish it had more oak coming out.

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.