Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a Columbus Brewing Company pint glass.

A - Reddish brown with a beige/tan 1.5cm head. The head dissipates relatively quickly, but average for an 8.5% ABV beer. A nice beer to look at that indicates complexity to come.

S - Booze/vanilla oak (american) heavy in the beginning and . I would say primarily a Centennial aroma that fights with the booze and oak to eventually gain a dominance, but only slightly. Brief moments of booze and oak still show through in the aroma.

T - You get a steady bitterness right away that is married nicely with the booze and oak, then they fall out of symmetry before returning to a nice balance. The complexity of the flavors and how they start of in harmony, then each have their own moment, and then end in harmony again.

M - This is a rich, full beer on the palate in every way, including the mouthfeel. The beer is full and silky, with a nice resiny oil and residual sugar coating the palate after the sip is gone.

O - A great beer with a lot of complexity to it. It takes the 3 Arrogant Bastard Series beers and really melds them into something greater than any of the originals.

This is one of my favorite beers and I have to admit, I was sad to see this was my last bottle of the second release. I aged one 9 months and didn't think it was worth it. It was better in the first few months.

brewski09, Mar 20, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Awesome ass bomber split between two people, in tall wine glasses.

Just the same as whiskey, the measured and expert blending of fine beers leads to uncommon smoothness. This is like, jeez, Arrogant Bastard is normally good since even though it's large and noisy it's still pretty much a pale ale. It's not of those strong ales that tastes like a thick, hoppy mess, and while it's plenty assertive it's not the kind of palette wrecker that you can only enjoy here and there.

This is like that, only amped up way big. The oakiness is distinct not in flavor but in affect, the three flavors pile on top of each other and round each other out. What's the right metaphor? This is like stepping inside of one of those big plastic hamster balls--the kind they use for extreme sports--and then having a team of rams butt you into a jagged cliff. The thrill is still there--the movement, the anticipation of pain--but the impact is deadened, you still see hear and feel it but nothing hurts.

mynie, Dec 18, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

The bottle cap reiterated that my involvement in The CANQuest (TM) makes me unworthy of this beer, but I am sure that Greg Koch will forgive me my transgressions.

I lift my glass in honor of Larry, the most curmudgeonly bartender that this aging barfly has ever encountered. He used to be the day man at Hemingway's Bar in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh on the Pitt campus back when that place still mattered. It was quite near graduation that year and I was a junior, still in town because of a Saturday Final that afternoon. A well-dressed gent was in with his daughter, neither of whom had I seen before. He started in by snapping his fingers and then hemmed and hawed over his choice between Bud Light, Miller Lite or Coors Light. Larry slammed a glass of water down in front of this fellow, stated "This'll hold ya over til ya make up yer mind, 'n' 'at, ya jagov! They're all the same thing! Me 'n' Wood, here, we're havin' some a The Medicine!" With that, he pulled both of us a full pint of Arrogant Bastard and downed a good half of it one swallow before turning back to the now-stunned patron. "Uh, I believe I'll have one of those, my good man." "No, ya won't! Yer not worthy!" At that, the guy grabbed his daughter and left. It takes a lot to shock me, but my jaw must have been hanging open because Larry leaned over and growled, "Drink up, Wood. Or do I gotta put you aht, too?" He lasted until one of the places next door that catered to underage drinkers was forced out of business and all of a sudden, the once-literary crowd devolved into meatheads and jocks and many of us, including Larry, moved on. Larry, this beer's for you! Medicine, indeed.

Ho, I had forgotten the depth of the color of this beer! The thick finger of deep-tawny head sat there daring me to do anything. In spite of that, I mustered up the courage to hold it to the light, revealing a beautiful ruby red with NE-quality clarity. The nose burned some hairs in my nose. It had some upfront heat accompanied by oak, caramel, pine and vanilla. I suddenly felt the urge to kowtow before this beer in the hopes that I would be allowed to live. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with an immediate heat on the tongue that stood aside to allow the heavy richness of the malt to take control. The oak was definitely present also, but the sweet heat reminded me of drinking bourbon. Whew! Some mentioned an intense bitterness, but I got that (the hops) on the finish. As it warmed, I got flavors of orange zest and pine, especially on the finish. Jeez-O man, but this was like being in a crazy bar fight where one guy starts in face-to-face, then somebody taps you on the shoulder and when you turn around, a fist to the murph is waiting. Maybe I'm NOT worthy, but I'm committed now. The lacing that began to appear looked like it was going to need a jackhammer to chisel it out later. I am ready to cry. I thought that I was solid going into this, but I am ready not to retreat, but to simply advance in a new direction, like backwards away from this beast. As a gauge, the verbiage on the reverse of the bottle suddenly became completely comprehensible and I even noticed that the "B" was constructed of a "1" and a "3" in honor of the Bastard's 13th anniversary. The secret ingredient in this beer may be LSD, given the swirling colors that I am beginning to see. I think I can fly, man. Dig it! OK, now I'm feeling Lukcy and the Basartd has his arm around my shoulder. That's my bad shoulder, so I hope that he is like another famous personality and the laying on of hands will cure my bursitis. I was really starting to notice the pine-y hops and the oakiness as it warmed. It was really woody, which is fitting, given my nickname. I thought that I read a review where someone felt that this was not holding up. Either I am hallucinatory (VERY possible) or that person was Un-Lukcy in their bottle. There were still some on the shelf at my local, so I may pick up some for cellaring. Yes, it is THAT good.

woodychandler, Feb 20, 2011

A - A thick copper tone with a nice head

S - Not too obtrusive. Citrus notes arise when you really get your nose in the glass.

T - Very balanced from the beginning to the end. The citrus in the nose comes into the taste but is far more impressive than the weaker nose.

M - smooth with substance. slightly viscous feel.

D - it's a bit much for some people, but I could drink this buy the case.

printsandpints, Dec 05, 2010

MikesnoHSL, Nov 07, 2014

Grizzynicky, Nov 18, 2014

BcOneSeven, Sunday at 01:42 AM
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

The flawless look of AB, the hints of oak from oaked bastard, the extreme oomph from the double bastard, hopped to hell, and flawlessly mixed together. There's nothing left to say about these 3 master pieces. That said I think this blend exemplifies the 3 beers by showcasing the best of all 3 beers and leaving behind their laws. Gone is the mellow effect of the oak, the sometimes too strong hit from the double bastard, but enough extra body that it truly surpasses the AB.

bobhits, Dec 10, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Huge ruby red body with a nice foamy off white head that leaves lacing on the glass

S-Has a nice bold hop bitterness along with dark fruits, maltly love...

T- Diggin it-- Nice and malty, just enough hop to bounce it back to drinkability and has a long lasting finish. Lots of cherry, plum and even rum raisin! mmm

M-Thick and chewy, but is slightly cloying.

D- D is for drinkable... yum

Hopstamon, May 15, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Dark Amber, Good amout of White head

S- Nice Carmel Malt Notes, alittle oaky smell, hints of Vanilla

T- very hoppy, but smooth small hint of carmel and vanilla. Just the right amount of oakiness.

M- Medium body.

D- Similar to the original AB. But stronger. Not as harsh as the the DB but oh soo smooth and blended exceptionally

rfg0829, Dec 11, 2010
4.76/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my favorite of the 5 beers I sampled while at Stone Brewery in Escondido. I ended up buying a growler full of it when I left. The American Strong Ale is to the Imperial Double IPA what Round Table Pizza is to the best italian pizza. They are both outstanding, but the Strong Ale just adds that bold American touch that we all know and love.

Chadhowie, Jan 16, 2013

LakerLeith, Jun 10, 2014

yossarian14, Jan 29, 2013

mjenkins5, Feb 20, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

The Lucky Bastard (Lukcy Basartd). I am employed by Total Wine & More in CA and this is an item I've been looking forward to tasting and reviewing.

Whether you buy into "The Bastard" beers' messages or not it is true that this beer is meant for a certain breed. Liking or disliking it doesn't prove if you have good taste in beer, it's a matter of if you like this style, because no other beer really tastes like a Stone Bastard.

A - The appearance is a crystal clear ruby/blood tinted dark ale color. Although appearance of a beer is one of my least important factors, this one looks outstanding.

S - The smell is not much different to the other three bastards...hoppy of course, with that slight but nice oak from the oaked arrogant. The difference comes in the malts, which dull the hops enough to make it more subtle than any of the other bastards.

T - Almost exactly as the smell. The malts that aren't as present in the other bastards make this blend the most balanced of the group. Gives the drink-ability of a lighter I.P.A. with the flavor of a true strong ale, without compromising either field.

M - Mouth-feel is smooth and silky for a strong ale. Not perfect but just about as good as it gets for a beer in this field.

Overall...
This beer is fantastic. Again, it isn't for everyone but for some like me it'll be exactly what you'd hoped for. Blending all the Stone "Bastard" family into one beer that gives you all the advantages of the 3 and remarkable balance is like a dream come true to me. If you are a Stone/Bastard fan, try one if you can.

JMayala, Nov 12, 2012

crob3888, Aug 19, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a deep mohaghany, with a red hue in the light. Thick tan foamy head that doesn't recede quick. Great visible carbonation coming up the side of the glass.

It smells delicious. An instant sharp hoppiness comes through to greet you. Very resinous hop notes, lots of pine, and a bit of citrus. Really a dank nose. There slightly sweet malt backing too.

Taste is right on target. It takes the smoothness and oak notes from Oaked ABA, the warmth of DB, and the aggresiveness of ABA, and turns it into one magical concoction.
An instant hop bite that is prominant throughout. A nice warmth and sweetness comes through and then finishes smokey and woody. Great!

The mouthfeel is somewhere in between ABA and Oaked. Medium to heavy bodied, with a great amount of carbonation. Really well done.

Drinkability is great for me. I love ABA, I love Oaked ABA, and I do quite enjoy DB when I can get my hands on it. If it were brewed on a consistant basis I would absolutely throw this into my go to beer rotation.

Btw, the bottle reads 8.5% abv.

begforme4484, Nov 30, 2010
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.