Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a 2 finger head and very nice lacing. Couldn't be any better.

S: Hops, sweet malts, bread, and more hops. Love it!

T: Lots of hops, malts, and the nutty flavors that all the Bastards have. Some vanilla and the oaked flavors shine through as it warms. The best aspects of all three beers involved. Perfectly balanced!

M: Medium to thick bodied with good carbonation. Very smooth.

O: This is about as good as it gets...a perfect Stone brew. Hides the alcohol well and is super easy to drink. The best Bastard yet!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Pour is semi-thick smooth w/light touch centerpour of pint glass. Deep Mahogany reddish brown with beige cream colored firm head retention that persists long after pour leaving lacing all down side of glass. Absolute brillant/bright clarity. A+
Smell of citrus fruit, very aromatic & invitng warmth off malts. A
Taste has a nice twang of grapefruit bitterness to balance malty body. Deceptive strenth with some warming but refrained. Oak character very subtle but there. A+
Great overall balance that lends itself to pure drinkability, a rare feat for substantial style. A+
Fits right in double imperial category, just under Barley Wine strength/mothfeel. A

The best offering I've enjoyed from Stone in years. Highly recommend & looking to stock up.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours an entrancing burnt rust/red color, having something of a haze, some sort of opacity that makes it almost hypnotic. The dirty white head is modest, but its firmness and the way it sticks around awhile is impressive.

Man alive, this is a primo aroma. There's oak-y woodiness at play, but it merely glorifies the rest of the goodness here...and if you're familiar with the Bastard family, you'll know what that's all about. Nice candy-like gooey sweetness, tempered by a bold but never rude alcohol presence and a green but never astringent hop that also bring some bright, spicy, herbal notes.

The taste is truly exceptional. Lightly charred wood and a bright mineral element are met by candy-like sweetness, the breezy, intensely herbal flavor of fresh top-notch hops (very "west coast" in flavor...I'd even call them cannabis-like here...and resin...and grapefruit...), a light touch of warmth and comfort from the alcohol, and an overall sense of "this...freaking...rules." What more can be said? This is beer taste at its most sublime and superb. That enough hyperbole for ya?

Creamy, round, gooey, even a little sticky, this delivers, texturally, the way the flavor dictates it should. Just about perfect in this department as well.

I'm a big fan of the Bastard family, and Stone in general...I just don't think there's a way this beer could miss. And of course it doesn't. Lukcy Basartd is a rare bare that delivers all it promises. Arrogant Bastard + Double Bastard = Oak Aged Bastard = Ecexllnet!

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

In my tulip, it pours a dark brown with a thin gray/white head.

The smell is boozy, but with some spice and toffee sweetness to it.

The taste is ridiculous. I've never had a beer where the balance between hops and malts was this perfect, except for arguably Old Ruffian. The hop bitterness and malty sweetness almost even out, but the hops pull through in the end, making this one of the most delicious beers I've ever had.

The medium body and smoothness make this beer very drinkable, especially for its alcohol content.

This beer is world class. Stone, please brew it again.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

No point going into too much detail. You know what this beer is about.

My favorite of the bastard beers. Has the best of its three components.
Aggressive hop character of AB,
Smooth maltiness of oaked,
And straight out brashness of double.

Seriously enjoyable. Having fun picking it apart and placing where all the nuances came from.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: This Bastard pours a rich reddish brown with a thick off-white head. Very clear with no signs of haze and a few carbonation bubbles popping up. The head turns into a light lacing. It looks very inviting.

S: A complex blend of different aromas. Most forward are notes of black cherry and raisin with some oak and spicy hop notes. There are some subtle notes of roasted bread underneath, but they are very subtle compared to everything else.

T: If anything, there may be too much going on in this beer. The taste up front is crisp and hints of lightly roasted malt before being overwhelmed. The dominant flavors in the body match the aroma. A complex blend of dark fruits (most notably black cherry here), oak aged flavor and some surprisingly spicy hops. It's very well balanced and all three flavors are constantly fighting for your attention. The finish tastes more of raisin and the spicy hops. My biggest complaint is that the aftertaste is a very strong bitter with a resiny tinge that I didn't smell or taste elsewhere. However, it's hard to be too upset when it taste that good before swallowing.

F: Crisp, thick and immediate. It demands your attention by feel alone.

O: The cap said that I wasn't worthy and I might not be. This is a complex and hearty beer that should not be opened lightly. I would recommend that you try Arrogant Bastard first, but I feel anyone who likes Arrogant Bastard will love Lukcy. I love Stone's flagship. It is one of the few beers that I go back to on a regular basis and this Lukcy a hell of a treat for me. I will definitely buy a couple more to celebrate the holidays and got a strong desire to hold a Stone tasting party while drinking this.

This beer was poured from a 22oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx. 60F.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a great thick brown-copper color with great head and excellent leacing. It has a huge malty scent, deep, thick, and dark, along with a nice citrus hop edge on the border. Excellent flavor, great thick malts, near barley-wine in depth, with good caramel tones and a wonderful citrus hop finish that smoothed everything out. This is a fantastic brew.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a Columbus Brewing Company pint glass.

A - Reddish brown with a beige/tan 1.5cm head. The head dissipates relatively quickly, but average for an 8.5% ABV beer. A nice beer to look at that indicates complexity to come.

S - Booze/vanilla oak (american) heavy in the beginning and . I would say primarily a Centennial aroma that fights with the booze and oak to eventually gain a dominance, but only slightly. Brief moments of booze and oak still show through in the aroma.

T - You get a steady bitterness right away that is married nicely with the booze and oak, then they fall out of symmetry before returning to a nice balance. The complexity of the flavors and how they start of in harmony, then each have their own moment, and then end in harmony again.

M - This is a rich, full beer on the palate in every way, including the mouthfeel. The beer is full and silky, with a nice resiny oil and residual sugar coating the palate after the sip is gone.

O - A great beer with a lot of complexity to it. It takes the 3 Arrogant Bastard Series beers and really melds them into something greater than any of the originals.

This is one of my favorite beers and I have to admit, I was sad to see this was my last bottle of the second release. I aged one 9 months and didn't think it was worth it. It was better in the first few months.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Awesome ass bomber split between two people, in tall wine glasses.

Just the same as whiskey, the measured and expert blending of fine beers leads to uncommon smoothness. This is like, jeez, Arrogant Bastard is normally good since even though it's large and noisy it's still pretty much a pale ale. It's not of those strong ales that tastes like a thick, hoppy mess, and while it's plenty assertive it's not the kind of palette wrecker that you can only enjoy here and there.

This is like that, only amped up way big. The oakiness is distinct not in flavor but in affect, the three flavors pile on top of each other and round each other out. What's the right metaphor? This is like stepping inside of one of those big plastic hamster balls--the kind they use for extreme sports--and then having a team of rams butt you into a jagged cliff. The thrill is still there--the movement, the anticipation of pain--but the impact is deadened, you still see hear and feel it but nothing hurts.

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

The bottle cap reiterated that my involvement in The CANQuest (TM) makes me unworthy of this beer, but I am sure that Greg Koch will forgive me my transgressions.

I lift my glass in honor of Larry, the most curmudgeonly bartender that this aging barfly has ever encountered. He used to be the day man at Hemingway's Bar in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh on the Pitt campus back when that place still mattered. It was quite near graduation that year and I was a junior, still in town because of a Saturday Final that afternoon. A well-dressed gent was in with his daughter, neither of whom had I seen before. He started in by snapping his fingers and then hemmed and hawed over his choice between Bud Light, Miller Lite or Coors Light. Larry slammed a glass of water down in front of this fellow, stated "This'll hold ya over til ya make up yer mind, 'n' 'at, ya jagov! They're all the same thing! Me 'n' Wood, here, we're havin' some a The Medicine!" With that, he pulled both of us a full pint of Arrogant Bastard and downed a good half of it one swallow before turning back to the now-stunned patron. "Uh, I believe I'll have one of those, my good man." "No, ya won't! Yer not worthy!" At that, the guy grabbed his daughter and left. It takes a lot to shock me, but my jaw must have been hanging open because Larry leaned over and growled, "Drink up, Wood. Or do I gotta put you aht, too?" He lasted until one of the places next door that catered to underage drinkers was forced out of business and all of a sudden, the once-literary crowd devolved into meatheads and jocks and many of us, including Larry, moved on. Larry, this beer's for you! Medicine, indeed.

Ho, I had forgotten the depth of the color of this beer! The thick finger of deep-tawny head sat there daring me to do anything. In spite of that, I mustered up the courage to hold it to the light, revealing a beautiful ruby red with NE-quality clarity. The nose burned some hairs in my nose. It had some upfront heat accompanied by oak, caramel, pine and vanilla. I suddenly felt the urge to kowtow before this beer in the hopes that I would be allowed to live. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with an immediate heat on the tongue that stood aside to allow the heavy richness of the malt to take control. The oak was definitely present also, but the sweet heat reminded me of drinking bourbon. Whew! Some mentioned an intense bitterness, but I got that (the hops) on the finish. As it warmed, I got flavors of orange zest and pine, especially on the finish. Jeez-O man, but this was like being in a crazy bar fight where one guy starts in face-to-face, then somebody taps you on the shoulder and when you turn around, a fist to the murph is waiting. Maybe I'm NOT worthy, but I'm committed now. The lacing that began to appear looked like it was going to need a jackhammer to chisel it out later. I am ready to cry. I thought that I was solid going into this, but I am ready not to retreat, but to simply advance in a new direction, like backwards away from this beast. As a gauge, the verbiage on the reverse of the bottle suddenly became completely comprehensible and I even noticed that the "B" was constructed of a "1" and a "3" in honor of the Bastard's 13th anniversary. The secret ingredient in this beer may be LSD, given the swirling colors that I am beginning to see. I think I can fly, man. Dig it! OK, now I'm feeling Lukcy and the Basartd has his arm around my shoulder. That's my bad shoulder, so I hope that he is like another famous personality and the laying on of hands will cure my bursitis. I was really starting to notice the pine-y hops and the oakiness as it warmed. It was really woody, which is fitting, given my nickname. I thought that I read a review where someone felt that this was not holding up. Either I am hallucinatory (VERY possible) or that person was Un-Lukcy in their bottle. There were still some on the shelf at my local, so I may pick up some for cellaring. Yes, it is THAT good.

A - A thick copper tone with a nice head

S - Not too obtrusive. Citrus notes arise when you really get your nose in the glass.

T - Very balanced from the beginning to the end. The citrus in the nose comes into the taste but is far more impressive than the weaker nose.

M - smooth with substance. slightly viscous feel.

D - it's a bit much for some people, but I could drink this buy the case.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

The flawless look of AB, the hints of oak from oaked bastard, the extreme oomph from the double bastard, hopped to hell, and flawlessly mixed together. There's nothing left to say about these 3 master pieces. That said I think this blend exemplifies the 3 beers by showcasing the best of all 3 beers and leaving behind their laws. Gone is the mellow effect of the oak, the sometimes too strong hit from the double bastard, but enough extra body that it truly surpasses the AB.

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Huge ruby red body with a nice foamy off white head that leaves lacing on the glass

S-Has a nice bold hop bitterness along with dark fruits, maltly love...

T- Diggin it-- Nice and malty, just enough hop to bounce it back to drinkability and has a long lasting finish. Lots of cherry, plum and even rum raisin! mmm

M-Thick and chewy, but is slightly cloying.

D- D is for drinkable... yum

A- Dark Amber, Good amout of White head

S- Nice Carmel Malt Notes, alittle oaky smell, hints of Vanilla

T- very hoppy, but smooth small hint of carmel and vanilla. Just the right amount of oakiness.

M- Medium body.

D- Similar to the original AB. But stronger. Not as harsh as the the DB but oh soo smooth and blended exceptionally

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my favorite of the 5 beers I sampled while at Stone Brewery in Escondido. I ended up buying a growler full of it when I left. The American Strong Ale is to the Imperial Double IPA what Round Table Pizza is to the best italian pizza. They are both outstanding, but the Strong Ale just adds that bold American touch that we all know and love.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.