Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,341 | Reviews: 776

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Definitely one of the top 5 most unique beers I've ever had. The blending presents a lot of flavor interchange. Floral/Sweet Fruits/Resin/Leather/Oak/Caramel/Vanilla. Flavors opened as the beer warmed. This one has me interested in trying their DB

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle (10/10/2014):
Pours much like the regular Arrogant Bastard in color and clarity, maybe a bit lighter hue. The head pours a bit more and sustains a tad longer. Light auburn red, obvious clarity when held to light, and some lacing. Nose is a bit fruitier than the original, to me. The hops are floral citrus, citrus zest, and have a honey-like sweetness (perhaps reminiscent of tropical fruits) to them that I don't get from the original.

The beer starts off with a light base, a hint of amber ale flavors, but tropical fruit sweetness takes over. I get papaya mainly, but strangely a hint of coconut also. There is a lighter citrus taste, orange or tangerine like, that comes in afterwards and slowly fades to orange peel and maybe a little ruby grapefruit.

The beer when I drank it was lacking a bit of carbonation, but that didn't really hurt the beer. The beer seemed a bit thin, but the flavors bold enough to give almost a medium overall body to the beer. A woody dryness builds up over the beer, not obvious in any particular sip (might also be product of other beers).

I enjoyed this beer. The somewhat sweeter nature of the full taste was a bit surprising. Having reviewed this after having a normal Arrogant Bastard might have skewed my perception slightly. I had trouble discerning whether I liked this better than the BBA version, but I think it's another very small step up over that.

edit: letting the beer warm a bit mellowed out the flavors very nicely.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Some how my review got erased or not saved but I'm going to note what I remember and update this if I end up getting it again which I hope I do sometime.

This beer seemed to be much more tame than the double bastard and have more character than the dirty bastard.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.