2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,339 | Reviews: 656 | Show All Ratings:
TMoney2591

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter at The Barley House.

A lovely follow-up to Darkness. It pours a slightly hazy ruby topped by a thick finger of eggshell foam. The nose comprises pearl onions, light pine, white bread, orange peel, Swiss cheese, and a decidedly light bit o' toffee. As odd as it may sound (I know it did to me), it comes together nicely enough. The taste blasts the tongue with hops, mostly traipsing in with spicy, onion-y notes. A cowering puddle of caramel lies dejected in the back. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a thick feel, and a dry finish. Overall, I think this thing is a bit much. I think a good amount of complexity could have been achieved had the hops not destroyed all semblance of anything else. Still, this was quite the event.

11-19-2010 06:59:10 | More by TMoney2591
cooncat

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Had this at a local pub on tap last night.

Served in a standard pint glass (which is really 14.5 oz ... have to talk with the manager about that one of these days).

The beer is amber in color, perhaps with some light garnet hues. (tough to tell in a darkened bar). My glass was served with about a 1/2" head, which had decent retention for the abv. Also, some lacing evident as the glass is drained.

Smell is huge on hops, and I'm picking up mostly Centennial, though maybe some Amarillo is in there. Can't get much malt in the nose off this hop bomb.

The tastes follows the nose in that this is a Centennial hop bomb. This is nothing like the rest of the "Bastard series", which I consider pretty malty. There is enough malt to support the huge hops, but just barely. Mouthfeel is medium, with carbonation at about the 2 volume level. (at least at my bar)

My drinkability score reflects that this is a 9.2% abv brew, and thus isn't a session brew. I could possibly do 2 without feeling "impaired". Also, Centennial isn't my favorite hop (I'm a home brewer) ... guess that's a personal thing, but I'm not a fan of 2 Hearted for the same reason. Still, I enjoyed the (mini) pint, and if I'd had the time, I'd probably have had another.

If you're a bonafide Stone hophead, this one's for you. Find it, buy it, drink it!

Na Zdravje!

11-18-2010 22:58:18 | More by cooncat
MasterSki

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this on-tap at Fountainhead. Served in a tulip.

A - Served in two fingers of light than foam that eventually settle to a thick cap, leaving behind glass-coating lace. The body is a transparent red color.

S - Some nice dank and pine dry hop aroma, light oakiness, as well as a faint cheesy note. Some vanilla and a fruity malt backbone.

T - The taste is a little more caramel-heavy, with some oaky vanilla, and citrus hop character. Very bitter and oaky finish. I looked up the blend and discovered that this is "a 50/50 blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale. The blend is then oaked and double dry-hopped."

M - It has a fairly hefty body that is more akin to Double Bastard. Very sticky and chewy with medium carbonation.

D - I like this, although I think the aroma was my favorite part. My notes are spelled about as well as the name of this beer, so I think having more than one would probably be a bad idea. The mixture of intense bitterness and tannic oak gets fatiguing as well.

11-17-2010 23:32:13 | More by MasterSki
Urbancaver

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Was really looking forward to trying this and was quite disappointed....

Good crisp head on the pour and a nice brown colour.
Smells very hoppy with hints of oak. Definitely smells like it would be very tasty!!!
Tastes... Pretty shitty actually... Harsh hops that don't blend with the oak well at all. I can taste oak and double bastard hoppiness separately and it's honestly too busy and strong to enjoy at this point...
Maybe with some time this would back off but as is it was very unbalanced and overwhelming without the kind of complexity i had hoped for

11-17-2010 22:14:26 | More by Urbancaver
KickInTheChalice

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Fortunate to try this on tap at Fountainhead. Served in a tulip.

Appearance: Like the others, this pours a dark cherry / mohagony color, with a fluffy off-white head that retains nicely, with generous lacing coating the glass.

Smell: A bit herbally from almost excessive dry hopping. Earthy and citrus hop notes are present as well. Some dark fruits manage to make themselves known, smells like figs and raisins from Crystal 120.

Taste: Light dark fruit flavors with the semi sweet malt to start. I enjoy the use of this malt in the bastards. The malt flavor really is pushed aside by the earthy, grassy hops. Bitter and strong in flavor, the hop presence is quite strong. The end does not wrap up as nicely as I wish it would, maybe a bit more OAB in there would be nice.

Mouthfeel: Not quite stout level, but this has quite a full feel, with a fair amount of hop oil from the dry hop. The carbonation is consistent, but it almost feels creamy and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: The dry hopping is quite intense and would be too much to handle more than once. I enjoyed the newest member of the bastard family, but for my money there is not a bastard better than the OAB.

11-17-2010 18:09:31 | More by KickInTheChalice
Vdubb86

Served in a snifter on tap at the Barley House in Algonquin, IL

This beer is served a ruby red color with an ecru foam adorning the surface. The smell is overpowering with hoppy aroma. Many would like that, I'm putting out there, for the record, that this much hops makes me nervous. The taste is really quite hoppy, but there is a bit of a caramel taste thrown into the background just so that it's not a liquid made up entirely of hops. The mouthfeel is quite bitter, but that's something that I've grown to expect from Stone. Overall this was a good beer, I understand that there are many will love it, I respect it, and that's as far as I'm going.

11-17-2010 08:15:05 | More by Vdubb86
« first ‹ prev | 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next › last »
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.