Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.
Reviews: 758 | Hads: 2,394
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bomber into my Double Bastard Ale specialty glasses.

A--Ruby red pour with a white head. Small head when poured, fairly good retention on the glass. It actually looks like all the other Bastards.

S--Just what you expect. Smells like an Arrogant, but with just hint of smoke from the Oak Aged. Smells like roasted malts, heavy scent of alcohol. Also, I get some fruit notes.

T--Basically like a smoother Arrogant. A very mellow flavor, but not quite to the level as Oaked Arrogant. However, I would recommend this to anyone who likes Arrogant!

D--At 8.20%, I'd say this is pretty drinkable. You don't really taste the alcohol, but I'm sure by the end of the bottle I will.

Again, Stone, great brew. I'm really glad I got to enjoy this. (756 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a badass looking 22oz bottle into my Ommegang goblet. Nice off white finger of nicely retaining, nicely lacing head. Straight up cherry cola colored. Words cannot describe the nose, but I'll try. Oak. Citrus. Prune. Cola. Sweet malt. Cherry. Amazing. Big flavor. I'd imagine it'll age like a champ. Some pineapple, pine, passion fruit. dark roasty flavors, oak. LOOONG bitter finish. Drying out my mouth long finish. Chalky. Drinks pretty good. This little bastard didn't let me down. (496 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

Much thanks to me for picking this one up for me.

Pours a deep mahogony with a half finger of tan head that fades pretty quickly to a thin layer on top.

Aroma is not as potent as I was expecting. I get some notes of oak and citrus hops with some hints of pine in the background. I was expecting the aroma to be pretty potent and I'm a little let down.

The taste is actually a big step up from the aroma. I get some sweet caramel malt and vanilla with some bitter grapefruit in there as well.

Mouthfeel is a little thick with a good bit of carbonation. Not necessarily my ideal sipper beer, but it's pretty heavy duty and will stand up well to a good meaty dinner. (667 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

From the bomber to a pint glass. Pours a really nice deep dark red with a very nice big frothy white head. Looks amazing. The head starts to slowly retreat but looks as though it's going to stick around for the majority of the drink. Leaves nice lacing on the glass. The smell right away is hoppy. Some pine, a hint of citrus and some fruits (mainly some cherry). There are some malt aromas, mainly in the background there is some caramel. As far as taste goes it's pretty comparable to the smell. At first I got a lot of malt followed by a nice bitter taste from the hops. Almost a lingering sweetness in there. Finishes with a nice hop bite, kind of piney in a way. Mouthfeel is a bit above average, by no means thin. I slightly high ABV, but a couple of these would be no problem. Very tasty and the alcohol is pretty well hidden. Overall I wish I would have grabbed another one or two, an interesting blend of some solid Stone brews. Definitely wasn't let down. (965 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a dark amber brown, with a finger of very light brown that laces the glass for a while.

S - Smells pretty much exactly as I expected. It smells like a perfect blend of the three beers it is. Sweet, but slightly oaky.

T - Delicious, but it lacks the certain sweetness and je ne sais quoi that Double Bastard has. A very solid beer, but I wish they had done something a little different with this beer, other than simply mixing the three.

M - Remains a little bit bitter on the tongue after swallowing, but not in a good way. I can certainly taste the Oaked long after the swallow.

D - This is a good drinkable beer, but it just makes me wish I was drinking a Double Bastard, honestly... (702 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a copper color with an off white head.
Caramel malt, piney hop and some tropical fruit (mango skin, peach, apple skin) in the nose along with some light bready notes.
Sweet toffee hits the taste buds first with some bready malt then the hops exact a coup de tongue with grass, pine, grapefruit, apple skin and mango with a touch of nuttiness and wood in the finish.
This is really an awesome beer. I loved it more than the beers that made it. Together, they blended to make something in your face yet subtle and complex.
This beer would be great with dry rubbed ribs, or pulled pork. (589 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A: ruby red color with a khaki colored head a good ammount of laceing and some alcohol legs

S: lots of juicy citrus fruit and resin on the nose with no alcohol at all

T: great citrus flavor up front hits with a little of pucketing on the sides of the mith with some malt flavor on the backed no alcohol Tate at all when drinking

M: medium bodied mouthful very easy to drink doesn't drink like an 8.5 % beer

O: extremely great experience with this beer what really enhances it is if you smell the beer and sip it at the same time you can really emerce yourself in this beer (580 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a glass

L: Pours a pretty garnet color with a quickly-disappearing light tan head. Clear. No lacing.

S: Mild and malty. I get a little citrusy hops, but there's not much in the nose for me. But, to be fair, I really should be drinking this is a sniftner.

T: Bitter, piney hops right up front. Bit of vanilla. But hops are the players here.

F: Not too carbonated. Smooth and light on the tongue.

O: Some of the lovely things about the the individual brews get lost when mixed together. But, overall, a nice blend and a pleasant beer. (564 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Town Hall Brewery Stemware Glass 3/5/11.

Pours a dark brownish amber with an off white browinsh head of about 1 finger. Little end lacing.

Smells of strong hops and the malt backbone is covered by fruit, earth, and wood tones.

Taste has a nice malt to hop ratio and is followed by spices and wood. Nice taste.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy with a taste that lingers but that is cool because this is a taste that I want to linger.

Drinkability is moderate. Just to heavy to consume a lot of but the taste will want to bring me back to it. I like it. (567 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill. Good to see another Stone beer making it back into rotation. Let's see how this goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark-cooper brown. Murky to say the least, poured out smooth, left behind an impressive 2 inch head that dissipated to just a flutter of foam that continued to leave an impressive and inviting lacing to the bottom.

Smell: First thing that comes to mind upon first aromas is black sugar, molasses, some toffee and a good underlying of lemon zest that comes and goes fairly quickly. Good caramel malts are pretty apparent throughout the whole session.

Taste: First sips and I'm experiencing a pretty heavy rush of zest hops and citrus. Of course upon further inspection and tasting I sense sweet, brown sugar, and some faint piney-like flavors that contribute to the sweet flavors. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, crisp and leaves a somewhat dry-finish on the palate. Goes down decent enough.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I've had good expectations. I really enjoy the limited releases by Stone. This was a really interesting find and I was a little hesitant upon seeing it was a blend of three of arrogant bastard's styles. But everything blended together nice and very balanced. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and would most likely try again. Cheers! (1,379 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

First go-round with this beer. I've pretty much enjoyed any beer in the Bastard family, so why not, eh?

LOOK: Burnt Sienna beauty, with a foamy, tan head. Thin, but pleasant looking. Thin head has good retention once it's down to a certain point. Some lacing on the sticks to the edges of the glass, but not too much.

SCENT: Nice hop character with a LOT of spice. Grapefruit with a sweet hint of brown sugar. This reminds me of the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, in a way. Really did a number on this and it's great. VERY good scent.

TASTE/MOUTHFEEL: Wow... tons of citrus notes here! Grapefruit comes on to the tongue as smooth as can be. The sweetness and bitter hops blend remarkably well, and in ways you don't normally come across. Very Stone-esque in that regard. Touch of alcohol on the finish leaves the tongue burning. Not bad at all.

OVERALL/NOTES: Just your standard Bastard ale. While it isn't the Double Bastard Ale, that's probably an unfair comparison. Regardless, this is a really great beer and definitely worth picking up. I'll have to grab another bottle on my next trip to the store and take better notes as these are a bit half-hazard. (1,154 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Poured a dark and perfect mahogany with about two fingers of thick tan foam. A nice skim stuck around the entire drink and lacing was pretty good.

S: Great pine jumps out and alternates with ripe juicy red grapefruit. Little bit of caramel and sweet bread. Alcohol in the back.

T: Upfront bitterness followed by astringent pine resin. Caramel, sweet bread and malt kick with some sort of bready flavors. Back to the bitterness and final swing of juicy hops before the burning bitter end.

M: Bigger than medium with a chewy factor.

O: I would not change one thing about this beer. Its fragrant, juicy and hoppy, bitter, malt kicked and strong. Amazing. (658 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

The Bastard in me really wanted to get a hold of this beer.

Pours from bomber into IRS snifter a deep russet brown hue with ruby amber edges that just catch the light incredibly. Foam was in great abundance with the pour; as was to be expected with any Bastard beer that I've enjoyed. Head was cream colored that slowly receded to sticky lacing and modest fuzz rimming the glass.

The hops are the obvious dominating character in this beer. Big, piney and earthy is the ticket with big portions of caramel and honey sweetness. The oak character is really nice, just the nicest hint of wood to really pull you in.

Beer opens up with malted sweetness that softly caresses, then moves to big piney aggressive hops that assault the taste buds. Malts and hops take a back seat to that strong oak. It pretty much dominates from mid palate to earthy finish. The oak characteristics held very well against the onslaught of hops, perhaps too well. I really liked the oak flavors, but it might be overpowering to some.

Mouthfeel is full and luxurious. Modest carbonation is just about right for a beer of this much wood character.

Drinkability is good in my book. The oak is strong, but it has a lot to offer with its dry hoppiness and sweet malts (1,246 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Red body, mild head, hops, very malty, almost barleywine at times. I don't know what it is about this particular one. I can drink the Double and Normal AB just fine.. but if you give me this, I instantly feel mildly hungover. A great tasting beer, but I will regret it later. (275 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my first dance in the Bastard division. It is not disappointing at all. A cloudy dark amber that lightens up around the outside. Small head with lacing and yeast is floating on top. A real fresh hop aroma, moist and powerful, my kind of beer. Citrus, pine and oak hit the tongue and give way to caramel and toffee. Must be the oak aged part that that is. Not much carbonation, that's fine by me, well balanced hops that are potent and addictive. At 8.5%, this is easy going.

My only regret with this is I only bought one. Stone is hard to find in BC and I might not have a second for a while. Oh well, I have this and I feel like a Lucky Bastard. (655 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm a lucky bastard to have a good buddy who gave me this bottle.

The bottle itself is super awesome and worth keeping. The beer looks like a blend of Arrogant (Double) Bastard and Old Guardian. It is clear, ruddy brown and looks syrupy. The smell is more sweet and malty than regular Bastard. The taste is super duper awesome! I have no idea whether this particular brew was supposed to benefit from aging, but it may well have. The balance of sweet, caramel malt and herbal hops is perfect for my palate. I expected the beer to have more alcohol heat, but it doesn't at all. The taste is hops up front, then lingering brown sugar and bread. I really love it. (661 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

A -
deep deep amder color pours w a little tan head that laces headlaces out and stays through out beer

S -
smells like the arrogant bastard only bolder hops some nuts spice and a hint of citrus and maybe cherry

T -
malt sweetness big hop citrus flavor finishes with a plum cherry flaovr
when it warms up to just above room temp you get some vanilla and oakiness

M -
smooth with a bite at the end doesnt linger

D -
very drinkable its awesome clear and simple (468 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

bomber into a duvel tulip

bottled on 10.25.12

pours a deep mahogany color with a tan khaki head thats leaves lacing all over the glass

pine, earth, fruits, and some oak. almost like an ipa

taste is hoppy and malty but almost sweet. the alcohol is in there but not overpowering

overall a great beer. this should come in a 6 pack (332 characters)

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A- Dark red amber, Little lace and head.

S - Similar to normal ABA, but with hints of something else.. thin malts & ale'ish bread.

T - Deep ale taste, malts and deep ale, more hot then usual and a bit more hops involved but kinda hard to distinguish between normal ABA.

M - Medium to more carbonation, a little more over the top but similar to ABA, Not much aftertaste but still there.

D - Drinks great for a strong ale, easy & great, please try this one and compare side to side with a normal ABA... I assume it will be similar. Thumbs up but I wish it was a little more different & stronger. (598 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a deep mahogany into a pint glass. There is a minimal head.

The aroma is slightly hoppy, with a very sweet, malty, bread like aroma as well.

The taste is quite nice. Hops, but not overwhelmingly so, sweet maltiness, and just the slightest alcoholic burn at the back of the throat. It's a very mellow mixture, and you can definitely taste
the oak flavor of the oak aged bastard.

The mouth feel is just slightly thick and syrupy. Although it's pretty boozy, it's very mild and pleasant.

Overall, I would recommend this beer, although at double the price of arrogant bastard, I would stick with regular Arrogant bastard most of the time. (646 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

A- Pours a see through, reddish amber with a one finger light tan head. Medium patchy lacing throughout.

S- Some sweet malt, but not too sweet. Citrusy. Hint of grapefruit. Hops. Bitter pine.

T- Semisweet malt to start. Bitter pine, hops at the end.

M- Medium carbonation. Slightly oily, but not sticky. Somewhat dry finish.

O- Sat on this for 7 months. Will try again.
Like it....but do not love it. Somewhat potent. (421 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - The body is s striking brown-red hue with a thick ivory head on top. Ample lacing graces the side of the glass as the drink is consumed.

S - An onslaught of pine and grapefruit rind. Some caramel maltiness slips in underneath, but are quickly squashed again by the citrus and sap aromas.

T - Aggressive woody pine and resin are the first flavors to hit the palate. Then comes the grapefruit in all its mouth puckering glory. The malt body has pleasant toffee and bread tastes, with a some hints of vanilla, pecans, and earth. The finish is unabashedly bitter and astringent.

M - A damn sappy mouthfeel with a relatively low carbonation. Divine.

O - A hell of a beer. It strikes a perfect balance between the beers blended to make it while still maintaining the over-the-top character of Stone's flagship. (859 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a deep mohaghany, with a red hue in the light. Thick tan foamy head that doesn't recede quick. Great visible carbonation coming up the side of the glass.

It smells delicious. An instant sharp hoppiness comes through to greet you. Very resinous hop notes, lots of pine, and a bit of citrus. Really a dank nose. There slightly sweet malt backing too.

Taste is right on target. It takes the smoothness and oak notes from Oaked ABA, the warmth of DB, and the aggresiveness of ABA, and turns it into one magical concoction.
An instant hop bite that is prominant throughout. A nice warmth and sweetness comes through and then finishes smokey and woody. Great!

The mouthfeel is somewhere in between ABA and Oaked. Medium to heavy bodied, with a great amount of carbonation. Really well done.

Drinkability is great for me. I love ABA, I love Oaked ABA, and I do quite enjoy DB when I can get my hands on it. If it were brewed on a consistant basis I would absolutely throw this into my go to beer rotation.

Btw, the bottle reads 8.5% abv. (1,041 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance-Pours a lightly oranged amber into the glass with some red highlights, a finger of head rises and slowly lowers itself down.

Aroma-Oakey, it smells a lot like oaked bastard actually; almost spot on, maybe a bit more hoppiness to it but that could just be my imagination.

Taste-Yep, tastes just like Oaked bastard except it starts out a little sweeter and ends with a bit more of a hop kick on the finish.

Mouthfeel-Plush and thick, syrupy without being chewy, medium-low carbonation.

Drinkabiliy-Keeps me coming back for more sips, tasty and drinkable...if a little disappointing, I was expecting something other than a tweaked oaked bastard in flavor. In fact I might like it a little less than plain ol' Oaked bastard. (735 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

EDIT: Realized that this is my 100th beer review. Only fitting since Stone got me into amazing beer. Cheers, Stone!*

A- Huge ruby/blood red body with a nice caked foamy off white head that leaves an annoying amount of lacing on my Celebrator glass...grrr! ;)

S-Has a nice bold hop bitterness along with dark fruits, red licorice, and anise. Pretty faint for a three bastard cuvee, but whatever.

T-YEAH! Nice and malty, just enough hop to bounce it back to drinkability and has a long lasting finish. Lots of cherry, plum and even rum raisin! YEAH!

M-Thick and chewy, but is slightly cloying.

D-It could be a lot more drinkable in my mind....this is a strong beer with lots of moving parts, but for gods sake, don't have it finish with more maltiness than hoppiness! (771 characters)

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.