Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,384 | Reviews: 779

Awesome auburn pour topped with a frothy and dense head that follows the brew all the way to the bottom of the glass with a heavy sitcky lace. The sweet and sour hop aromas are distinct but the flavor harps more on the bitter hop character rather than on any overwhelming sweetness. The medium body and lack of syrupy slick often found in these high hop/resin beers. The alcohol provides plenty of heat making this brew a nice winter warmer and over all a very very pleasant drink, holiday or otherwise.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a 2 finger head and very nice lacing. Couldn't be any better.

S: Hops, sweet malts, bread, and more hops. Love it!

T: Lots of hops, malts, and the nutty flavors that all the Bastards have. Some vanilla and the oaked flavors shine through as it warms. The best aspects of all three beers involved. Perfectly balanced!

M: Medium to thick bodied with good carbonation. Very smooth.

O: This is about as good as it gets...a perfect Stone brew. Hides the alcohol well and is super easy to drink. The best Bastard yet!

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

I recently had Stone's Arrogant Bastard, what an incredible beer. I remember the first time I tried it... That's enough talking about a beer that I'm not actually drinking or reviewing! Tonight I acquired Stone's Lucky 13asartd (Bastard), that's right, it's spelled incorrectly...on purpose. Every Stone beer has a lengthy, almost too lengthy sometimes, description on the back and even the entire description of Lucky Basartd is misspelled! I read some good things about it and it sounded like a promising buy. I already know that Lucky Bastard will be an excellent brew because it's Stone. Now let's get to it!

When you pour Lucky Basartd out you're greeted with quite a unique-looking beer. It looks, suspiciously I should say, like a soda drink. Its appearance resembles that of a sort of light or watery Coca-Cola. Damn, that makes it sound bad. But don't worry, the look has nothing to do with how good it is. Not that it doesn't look like a beer, though. Let's get that straight. Color-wise it, as I said it resembles a lighter colored Coca-Cola, is a sort of brown-ruby, as in brown with a hint of a purple-ish hue. I apologize if the description of Lucky Basartd seems to be unappetizing. Anyway, the head reminds me even more of a soda. It has a fizzy-frothy top while the bottom of the head is very bubbly. Unlike most heads of beers I've drank over a long while, the head on the Lucky Basartd recedes very quickly, more quickly than I've seen in...months? I had about a two finger off-white head on it when I first poured it and a couple of minutes it was virtually gone. It looks like the beer is actually alive in the way it loses its head.

Lucky Basartd smells like a typical quality pale ale that has plenty of hoppiness, some mango, pine trees, and sweetness.

But how does this beer taste? Let it be known that there is some sediment at the bottom of the bottle so make sure you shake it up and have it add what it needs to. Maybe I've not eaten enough today and can't tell the flavors or taste as well as I would usually, as in this 8.5% beer has me buzzing pretty bad at this point, but the flavors all seem to be working together at the same time with Lucky Basartd, I'm getting tired of spelling that, like a symphony playing a masterpiece in unison for a great performance. Lucky Basartd is very hoppy, has plenty of piney sweetness, and has an almost excess of the citrus tanginess. There is the definite flavor of mango but it is much more of the tang of citrus rather than an actual fruity flavor or too much sweetness. But the beer has a good balance to it .

There's nothing really extraordinary about Lucky Basartd. It's probably the most tangy/citrusy IPA I've had but has plenty of hoppiness and sweetness to keep it a really good IPA. It's just a damn good beer. Go get it!

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer pours an earthy/dirty brown color with a thick light tan head that sticks around forever.

I get hammered with piney, citrusy, grassy hops in the nose of this beer.

The flavor has malty, hoppey, bitter, piney, grassy flavors. The malt is smooth caramel flavor not much roast if any at all.

The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The beer just slide over your tongue.

This is not the most drinkable beer out there but I do think it is the most drinkable bastard.

On a side note I do have to say that the guys a Stone are real bastard for spelling this beer the way they did. It took me forever to find it!

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a relatively fresh (within a couple months of release) bomber into tulip glass.

A: Deep dark, coppery, cloudy red body with a big light-tan head that holds strong and clings to the side of the glass.

N: Smells like a Bastard! Sweet Malts balanced with citrus-like (a bit of grapefruit and/or peach) hops.

T/M: Wow! A lot going on...like, with all Bastards! Flavor follows nose exactly: Sweet malted barley (notes of prune & stone fruit) that fades into a citrus-like hop bitterness that holds on. Thick body with decent carbonation.

A very good Old Style ale with a lot of personality. Not too different than any of the other Bastards that Stone makes, on the surface....a bit more complex, if memory serves me correctly.

(This review is written from past notes.)

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pours a dark reddish body - almost coppery. The head is thick and fluffy and sticks around for a few minutes but remains in a quarter-shaped circle among the middle of the top layer of the brew. The lacing on the glass remains present throughout the drink.

S: Wofts a strong hoppiness, with some caramely maltiness, piney, and some underlying smells of oak.

T: Strong malty taste, finishing with loads of hops. A good amount of bitterness that lingers after swallowing. I don't get a lot of oakiness, which is somewhat disappointing, but the balance of bitterness and hops combined with malty sweetness tastes really good.

M: This is actually a much lighter bodied beer than I was expecting. I'd say medium-bodied, but I enjoy that it is pretty creamy, and it is very drinkable.

O: Very happy to have this one. It's so complex that every drink almost tastes completely different. The first few sips I didnt get any oak flavor and then it comes out as it warms a bit. It is the kind of beer that you don't realize has a high ABV because of how easily it goes down.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the bomber into my Sam's 22oz sensory glass.

It poured out a very nice dark amber, with slight red highlights when light was shined through it. Upon the body sat a very slight off white 2 finger head

Smell - First picked up the signature stone aroma's, crisp, hoppy. The nose reminded me the most of double bastard. Not picking up so much on the citrus and pine notes.

Taste - As it follows the nose, first and foremost reminds me of a tamed double bastard, very hoppy, which is balanced out by the malts, creating a very smooth beer, which continues to be smooth all the way through the finish. It's not till the finish that I'm able to pick up the oaky flavors, it's very nice!

Mouthfeel - Medium, almost kind of oily, very nice feeling on the palate. carbonation isn't heavy but I think it helps this one out greatly.

Drinkability - Very drinkable from my stand point. I could have a couple bombers in a night and be very happy. A very delicious brew from Stone, I have yet to be disappointed.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bomber into my Double Bastard Ale specialty glasses.

A--Ruby red pour with a white head. Small head when poured, fairly good retention on the glass. It actually looks like all the other Bastards.

S--Just what you expect. Smells like an Arrogant, but with just hint of smoke from the Oak Aged. Smells like roasted malts, heavy scent of alcohol. Also, I get some fruit notes.

T--Basically like a smoother Arrogant. A very mellow flavor, but not quite to the level as Oaked Arrogant. However, I would recommend this to anyone who likes Arrogant!

D--At 8.20%, I'd say this is pretty drinkable. You don't really taste the alcohol, but I'm sure by the end of the bottle I will.

Again, Stone, great brew. I'm really glad I got to enjoy this.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a badass looking 22oz bottle into my Ommegang goblet. Nice off white finger of nicely retaining, nicely lacing head. Straight up cherry cola colored. Words cannot describe the nose, but I'll try. Oak. Citrus. Prune. Cola. Sweet malt. Cherry. Amazing. Big flavor. I'd imagine it'll age like a champ. Some pineapple, pine, passion fruit. dark roasty flavors, oak. LOOONG bitter finish. Drying out my mouth long finish. Chalky. Drinks pretty good. This little bastard didn't let me down.

3.91/5  rDev -6%

Much thanks to me for picking this one up for me.

Pours a deep mahogony with a half finger of tan head that fades pretty quickly to a thin layer on top.

Aroma is not as potent as I was expecting. I get some notes of oak and citrus hops with some hints of pine in the background. I was expecting the aroma to be pretty potent and I'm a little let down.

The taste is actually a big step up from the aroma. I get some sweet caramel malt and vanilla with some bitter grapefruit in there as well.

Mouthfeel is a little thick with a good bit of carbonation. Not necessarily my ideal sipper beer, but it's pretty heavy duty and will stand up well to a good meaty dinner.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

From the bomber to a pint glass. Pours a really nice deep dark red with a very nice big frothy white head. Looks amazing. The head starts to slowly retreat but looks as though it's going to stick around for the majority of the drink. Leaves nice lacing on the glass. The smell right away is hoppy. Some pine, a hint of citrus and some fruits (mainly some cherry). There are some malt aromas, mainly in the background there is some caramel. As far as taste goes it's pretty comparable to the smell. At first I got a lot of malt followed by a nice bitter taste from the hops. Almost a lingering sweetness in there. Finishes with a nice hop bite, kind of piney in a way. Mouthfeel is a bit above average, by no means thin. I slightly high ABV, but a couple of these would be no problem. Very tasty and the alcohol is pretty well hidden. Overall I wish I would have grabbed another one or two, an interesting blend of some solid Stone brews. Definitely wasn't let down.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pours an attractive deep ruby with brownish hue. Translucent with no visible carbonation. Beige foamy head that settles down a bit and leaves some lacing along the glass. Great looking color.

S: A blast of sweet malt aromas as it pours from the bottle. Once poured the malt comes through as raisin bread. Some woody notes, but not overpowering. Formidable hop presence. Earthy and resinous. Slightly herbal with notes of tea and bay leaves. Alcohol comes through as the beer warms. Complexity noted.

T: I would describe the flavor profile as an IPA brewed with hops that impart earthy and resinous notes, backed by a moderate malt presence that is just sweet enough to let the hop bitterness come through and linger. The beer becomes less bitter and more grassy as it approaches room temperature. Notes of tea, green bell pepper. Semi dry and moderately bitter with notes of espresso soaked lemon rind.

M: Smooth and moderately carbonated.

D: Highly drinkable. A dynamic beer.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours a dark amber brown, with a finger of very light brown that laces the glass for a while.

S - Smells pretty much exactly as I expected. It smells like a perfect blend of the three beers it is. Sweet, but slightly oaky.

T - Delicious, but it lacks the certain sweetness and je ne sais quoi that Double Bastard has. A very solid beer, but I wish they had done something a little different with this beer, other than simply mixing the three.

M - Remains a little bit bitter on the tongue after swallowing, but not in a good way. I can certainly taste the Oaked long after the swallow.

D - This is a good drinkable beer, but it just makes me wish I was drinking a Double Bastard, honestly...

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a copper color with an off white head.
Caramel malt, piney hop and some tropical fruit (mango skin, peach, apple skin) in the nose along with some light bready notes.
Sweet toffee hits the taste buds first with some bready malt then the hops exact a coup de tongue with grass, pine, grapefruit, apple skin and mango with a touch of nuttiness and wood in the finish.
This is really an awesome beer. I loved it more than the beers that made it. Together, they blended to make something in your face yet subtle and complex.
This beer would be great with dry rubbed ribs, or pulled pork.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

A: ruby red color with a khaki colored head a good ammount of laceing and some alcohol legs

S: lots of juicy citrus fruit and resin on the nose with no alcohol at all

T: great citrus flavor up front hits with a little of pucketing on the sides of the mith with some malt flavor on the backed no alcohol Tate at all when drinking

M: medium bodied mouthful very easy to drink doesn't drink like an 8.5 % beer

O: extremely great experience with this beer what really enhances it is if you smell the beer and sip it at the same time you can really emerce yourself in this beer

look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a glass

L: Pours a pretty garnet color with a quickly-disappearing light tan head. Clear. No lacing.

S: Mild and malty. I get a little citrusy hops, but there's not much in the nose for me. But, to be fair, I really should be drinking this is a sniftner.

T: Bitter, piney hops right up front. Bit of vanilla. But hops are the players here.

F: Not too carbonated. Smooth and light on the tongue.

O: Some of the lovely things about the the individual brews get lost when mixed together. But, overall, a nice blend and a pleasant beer.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a Town Hall Brewery Stemware Glass 3/5/11.

Pours a dark brownish amber with an off white browinsh head of about 1 finger. Little end lacing.

Smells of strong hops and the malt backbone is covered by fruit, earth, and wood tones.

Taste has a nice malt to hop ratio and is followed by spices and wood. Nice taste.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy with a taste that lingers but that is cool because this is a taste that I want to linger.

Drinkability is moderate. Just to heavy to consume a lot of but the taste will want to bring me back to it. I like it.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

First go-round with this beer. I've pretty much enjoyed any beer in the Bastard family, so why not, eh?

LOOK: Burnt Sienna beauty, with a foamy, tan head. Thin, but pleasant looking. Thin head has good retention once it's down to a certain point. Some lacing on the sticks to the edges of the glass, but not too much.

SCENT: Nice hop character with a LOT of spice. Grapefruit with a sweet hint of brown sugar. This reminds me of the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, in a way. Really did a number on this and it's great. VERY good scent.

TASTE/MOUTHFEEL: Wow... tons of citrus notes here! Grapefruit comes on to the tongue as smooth as can be. The sweetness and bitter hops blend remarkably well, and in ways you don't normally come across. Very Stone-esque in that regard. Touch of alcohol on the finish leaves the tongue burning. Not bad at all.

OVERALL/NOTES: Just your standard Bastard ale. While it isn't the Double Bastard Ale, that's probably an unfair comparison. Regardless, this is a really great beer and definitely worth picking up. I'll have to grab another bottle on my next trip to the store and take better notes as these are a bit half-hazard.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A: Poured a dark and perfect mahogany with about two fingers of thick tan foam. A nice skim stuck around the entire drink and lacing was pretty good.

S: Great pine jumps out and alternates with ripe juicy red grapefruit. Little bit of caramel and sweet bread. Alcohol in the back.

T: Upfront bitterness followed by astringent pine resin. Caramel, sweet bread and malt kick with some sort of bready flavors. Back to the bitterness and final swing of juicy hops before the burning bitter end.

M: Bigger than medium with a chewy factor.

O: I would not change one thing about this beer. Its fragrant, juicy and hoppy, bitter, malt kicked and strong. Amazing.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill. Good to see another Stone beer making it back into rotation. Let's see how this goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark-cooper brown. Murky to say the least, poured out smooth, left behind an impressive 2 inch head that dissipated to just a flutter of foam that continued to leave an impressive and inviting lacing to the bottom.

Smell: First thing that comes to mind upon first aromas is black sugar, molasses, some toffee and a good underlying of lemon zest that comes and goes fairly quickly. Good caramel malts are pretty apparent throughout the whole session.

Taste: First sips and I'm experiencing a pretty heavy rush of zest hops and citrus. Of course upon further inspection and tasting I sense sweet, brown sugar, and some faint piney-like flavors that contribute to the sweet flavors. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, crisp and leaves a somewhat dry-finish on the palate. Goes down decent enough.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I've had good expectations. I really enjoy the limited releases by Stone. This was a really interesting find and I was a little hesitant upon seeing it was a blend of three of arrogant bastard's styles. But everything blended together nice and very balanced. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and would most likely try again. Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

The Bastard in me really wanted to get a hold of this beer.

Pours from bomber into IRS snifter a deep russet brown hue with ruby amber edges that just catch the light incredibly. Foam was in great abundance with the pour; as was to be expected with any Bastard beer that I've enjoyed. Head was cream colored that slowly receded to sticky lacing and modest fuzz rimming the glass.

The hops are the obvious dominating character in this beer. Big, piney and earthy is the ticket with big portions of caramel and honey sweetness. The oak character is really nice, just the nicest hint of wood to really pull you in.

Beer opens up with malted sweetness that softly caresses, then moves to big piney aggressive hops that assault the taste buds. Malts and hops take a back seat to that strong oak. It pretty much dominates from mid palate to earthy finish. The oak characteristics held very well against the onslaught of hops, perhaps too well. I really liked the oak flavors, but it might be overpowering to some.

Mouthfeel is full and luxurious. Modest carbonation is just about right for a beer of this much wood character.

Drinkability is good in my book. The oak is strong, but it has a lot to offer with its dry hoppiness and sweet malts

4.34/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my first dance in the Bastard division. It is not disappointing at all. A cloudy dark amber that lightens up around the outside. Small head with lacing and yeast is floating on top. A real fresh hop aroma, moist and powerful, my kind of beer. Citrus, pine and oak hit the tongue and give way to caramel and toffee. Must be the oak aged part that that is. Not much carbonation, that's fine by me, well balanced hops that are potent and addictive. At 8.5%, this is easy going.

My only regret with this is I only bought one. Stone is hard to find in BC and I might not have a second for a while. Oh well, I have this and I feel like a Lucky Bastard.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm a lucky bastard to have a good buddy who gave me this bottle.

The bottle itself is super awesome and worth keeping. The beer looks like a blend of Arrogant (Double) Bastard and Old Guardian. It is clear, ruddy brown and looks syrupy. The smell is more sweet and malty than regular Bastard. The taste is super duper awesome! I have no idea whether this particular brew was supposed to benefit from aging, but it may well have. The balance of sweet, caramel malt and herbal hops is perfect for my palate. I expected the beer to have more alcohol heat, but it doesn't at all. The taste is hops up front, then lingering brown sugar and bread. I really love it.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

A -
deep deep amder color pours w a little tan head that laces headlaces out and stays through out beer

S -
smells like the arrogant bastard only bolder hops some nuts spice and a hint of citrus and maybe cherry

T -
malt sweetness big hop citrus flavor finishes with a plum cherry flaovr
when it warms up to just above room temp you get some vanilla and oakiness

M -
smooth with a bite at the end doesnt linger

D -
very drinkable its awesome clear and simple

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Red body, mild head, hops, very malty, almost barleywine at times. I don't know what it is about this particular one. I can drink the Double and Normal AB just fine.. but if you give me this, I instantly feel mildly hungover. A great tasting beer, but I will regret it later.

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.