Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
AndyAvalanche

4.63/5  rDev +11%

22 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. A hard pour gives a strong frothy head tan in color with a lot of lacing and glass retention. It looks initially dark enough to be a porter during the pour, but that changed pretty quickly. When held up to the light it's more of a chestnut/mahogany color. Clearly not filtered,particles all over the place, pretty hazy.

Smell is wonderful. It's one hoppy smelling beer. The good part about this, is there are clearly a ton of hops put in, but it's never overly hoppy. Dry piney hops with a hint of citrus zest. Slight touch of alcohol to warm the nose, with just a hint of sweetness from the malts, slightly smokey/earthy tones. All of it's pretty well balanced, a really good smelling beer.

Taste is equally excellent. It's hoppy and bitter, yet much sweeter than I expected. As mentioned earlier, very hoppy. Dry hopped pine dominate the hoppy portion, still some slight citrus zest again, slightly grassy and a little herbal as well. Well malted for added sweetness. The oaked portion comes out in the flavor, it has a nice smokey and oak aftertaste that's a great addition to the flavor. Well balanced, close to perfect.

Mouthfeel is top notch. It's on the fuller end of medium bodied. Almost a sweet honey-butter texture with a clean/bitter, yet smokey, finish. Absolutely wonderful. This beer is dangerously drinkable. You could use this as a slow sipper, yet could easily pound it if you're not paying attention.

Another freaking home-run from Stone, absolutely wonderful brew. If this weren't a specialty brew and available year round, I'd probably always have it at my disposal.

02-08-2011 01:04:27 | More by AndyAvalanche
brew3crew

Poured into my new Founders Sniffer
A- Dark cooper with white head that retains
S-Nice hoppy wooden smell. malt is starting to come through with age.
T-transfers from hoppy to more mellow as the beer warms up. Very subtle undertones of caramel. Sweeter than I expected.
M-Medium bodied. Leaves a nice wooden after taste in my mouth
D-very drinkable. Enjoyed it with the start of the superbowl

02-06-2011 23:49:02 | More by brew3crew
Beernf

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottle from BevMo in Santa Monica, CA.

Cracked this at a party with several beer drinking friends. It quickly erased all memories of beer ingested prior to it because of an intense nose, super boozy flavor and a warming sensation in the gut the more it was consumed. Seriously, this is beer to get you drunk and it makes no bones about it. Looks like alcohol, smells like alcohol and definitely tastes like alcohol. However, sometimes that's what you want. A strong American barleywine style knockout punch to end a night. Just make sure there is a comfortable bed nearby if you do more than 1 of these.

02-06-2011 21:37:21 | More by Beernf
depechemode1983

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Beer is a beautiful mahogany color. It has a long lasting tan head. Consistency is awesome and leaves a curtain of lacing. Nose is mostly citrus. Lots of grapefruit to start. Its a little sour in the middle and you get some sweet caramel notes in the background to balance it out a little. The taste is a little more balanced than the nose. You still get the citrus hops up front but the caramel sweetness is more pronounced giving it better balance. Neither aspect so far is complex yet both are spot on and very tasty. Mouth feel somewhat full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Not bad seems a little bit thick for these sort of flavors. Its a sipper for sure. A bomber should suffice.

02-05-2011 03:43:06 | More by depechemode1983
UTCengOwl

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Saw this at Central Market this week and figured I should pick it up. We don't get Double Bastard here, so I figured that this was the best way to go. I'm so lukcy! Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

The beer pours a deep, dark red with a brown-tinged white head. The head is thick as all heck, but doesn't stay around for long. If there was more to the head, I'd rate it higher.... but I just can't justify it.

The initial nose is wonderful. First comes the hops. Arrogant Bastard was the first truly hoppy beer I had and those wonderful hops are still seared in my mind. Afterward comes the American Barleywine sweetness and thickness. Malty as all heck. There's also a slight hint of vanilla. I actually can smell parts of all 3 Bastards in here, awesome.

The taste is slightly disappointing relative to the nose. The hops take a bit of a backseat and the booziness takes over. Maybe a bit too hot and not hoppy enough. Wish it were better. I can get some oakiness, but it's more muted. I'm a bit disappointed by the way this came out.

That being said, this beer has good carbonation and is pretty drinkable for the size. I just wish the flavor wasn't masked by the huge booziness.

02-05-2011 02:31:16 | More by UTCengOwl
Janderson91

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Very dark amber color, almost clear with a one finger tan head. Leaves pretty good lacing.

S - The hoppiest smell of the Bastard series I've had. Still very strong malt in the background but the hops shine through here.

T - Taste is quite bitter in the beginning with a slight spiciness. Very sweet malt midway through and a good balanced finish that lingers for a while. Also a noticeable vanilla taste perhaps due to the oak aged portion of this blend.

M - Mouthfeel is great. A medium-full body with good carbonation. Perfect.

D - The thicker mouthfeel makes it slightly less drinkable.

Loved this beer. My favorite in the Bastard series.

02-05-2011 02:01:36 | More by Janderson91
OtherShoe2

Pours ruby amber with a cream colored foamy head. Some decent spotty lacing, good clarity.

Pine hop nose with some sweet and bitter malt aromas. Wanted a bit more here.

All hops and malt here. Big juicy piney hop flavor, balanced with some sweet fruit notes, some dark toasted bread. Flavor dissipates to long sticky hop bitter finish. You have some green herb, some wood, and a million little notes of sour, bitter and sweet in there. Complex and tasty. Alcohol very well hidden.

Fuller bodied and mouth coating.

Easy drinking. The subdued booze helps. Great beer, hands down.

02-05-2011 00:03:39 | More by OtherShoe2
Manoftyr

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance-Pours a lightly oranged amber into the glass with some red highlights, a finger of head rises and slowly lowers itself down.

Aroma-Oakey, it smells a lot like oaked bastard actually; almost spot on, maybe a bit more hoppiness to it but that could just be my imagination.

Taste-Yep, tastes just like Oaked bastard except it starts out a little sweeter and ends with a bit more of a hop kick on the finish.

Mouthfeel-Plush and thick, syrupy without being chewy, medium-low carbonation.

Drinkabiliy-Keeps me coming back for more sips, tasty and drinkable...if a little disappointing, I was expecting something other than a tweaked oaked bastard in flavor. In fact I might like it a little less than plain ol' Oaked bastard.

02-04-2011 23:17:04 | More by Manoftyr
krisandajt

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Seen this around in a few places, figured I'd pick it up and give it a try.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my DFH Chalice, the beer is a deep, clear brown color with about a half inch worth of light tan colored head. The head fades away fairly quickly, leaving behind a thin layer of foam with sporadic bubbles across the top of the beer.

Smell: I'm getting a light grapefruit/citrusy smell, but it's not the sort of quality you get from hops. There's a sweet, bready, toffee-like quality to it too.

Taste: Got some bitterness from hops, that hits me right up front. The malt comes in a bit later, and it's not as strong as I would have thought it would be given the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation, drinks easy.

Drinkability: Not a bad tasting brew. Its got a dry bitterness from the hops, which I like, and a decent malt profile to compliment the hops. I feel like it could have a bit more complexity and oomph, but it's not a bad brew. I'm glad I tried it, and I wouldn't turn one down if I was offered one, but I don't think I'd rush out to pick up another bottle anytime soon.

02-04-2011 22:51:49 | More by krisandajt
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Viggo brought this one over. thanks eric!

22oz bottle. sampled jan 9/2011.

pours lightly hazy red-brown with a thick cap of dense yellowy tan head. the head drops slowly and leaves a bunch of lace as it falls.

aroma is good. yup, this smells like stone. caramel and light toffee. grapefruit and pine. light alcohol. white bread and cracker. bit of biscuit.

taste is good. resiny pine and grapefruit. orange and tangerine. light alcohol. medium-high bitterness level. bit of raw oak and vanilla. caramel and light toffee. white bread and cracker. bit of biscuit.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium body with a fairly dry finish. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. nice balance. a neat blend of the bastards, with each of them showing itself but none really overpowering. good stuff!

02-04-2011 18:00:01 | More by grub
clayrock81

Pours a tawny brownish red with one-finger with a lace ring around glass. A great aroma of roasted malts, a little biscuity/bready and some sweet caramel and some leafy hop bitterness in there as weel. First thing that hits me is a bitter hop dryness in the taste, then the malts kick. Comprising most of the medium body, there seems to be a plethora of malt flavors like roasted, bitter chocolate (toffee?), a buttery-sweet sugary sweetness like caramel, and I think I detect hints of coffee. A very dy finish and the ABV bleeds a tad but this is a good sipper.

02-04-2011 11:09:48 | More by clayrock81
MadCat

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured the first half into a pint glass and the second into a tulip.

Appearance: Dark ambery red color, decent brown head, decent lacing. First pour had very little head, so I tipped the glass less with the second

Smell: A whole bouquet of different hoppy aromas, with some roasted malt in there. Hints of citrus.

Taste: Much more complex and pleasing than regular Arrogant Bastard. Not nearly as much of a punch you in the mouth bitterness, and with that there is more flavor. Hoppy, bitter, and roasted malt is what I get initially. Hints of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Thick and pleasant, with some crisp carbonation

Drinkability: Better than Arrogant Bastard, no hesitation in finishing off the 22oz bottle, but I don't have any desire to go for another one.

I was almost disappointed with this, from my first glass. Not sure why, maybe because I got better head on the second one, but the second was a knockout for me. The first disappointed me, mostly because some of the awesome flavors and aromas seemed muted. Surprisingly, I don't pick up any oak in the flavor or aroma, which I would think there would be some due to the oaked arrogant bastard in there. Definitely is better than regular arrogant bastard, but I'm not sure if it is better than oaked or double.

02-04-2011 00:09:28 | More by MadCat
MeatnCheese

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A dark red/amber color with a thick whipped head, a good 1/2 inch.

The nose was very different. As the head simmered down a bit it gave off changing aromas from resinous hops to caramel, citrus to sweet heavy malts and a little pine and vanilla.

I definitely thought this beer to be a little lighter than I was expecting. The thick malts and heavy caramel/molasses gave way to the subtle and soon to be prominent fruity hops that played with the malts. Like a grapefruit with sugar.

The mouth feel was about medium with about the same in carbonation. That gave it a very creamy and coating texture with a tinge of heat. I could have used a few more bubbles.

Overall I really enjoyed it, great until the last sip. I really had to talk myself out of getting another since they did such as great job of hiding that ABV.

02-03-2011 16:19:10 | More by MeatnCheese
Lldeegan

Louisiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a copper color with an off white head.
Caramel malt, piney hop and some tropical fruit (mango skin, peach, apple skin) in the nose along with some light bready notes.
Sweet toffee hits the taste buds first with some bready malt then the hops exact a coup de tongue with grass, pine, grapefruit, apple skin and mango with a touch of nuttiness and wood in the finish.
This is really an awesome beer. I loved it more than the beers that made it. Together, they blended to make something in your face yet subtle and complex.
This beer would be great with dry rubbed ribs, or pulled pork.

02-03-2011 06:07:33 | More by Lldeegan
spree92

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my first dance in the Bastard division. It is not disappointing at all. A cloudy dark amber that lightens up around the outside. Small head with lacing and yeast is floating on top. A real fresh hop aroma, moist and powerful, my kind of beer. Citrus, pine and oak hit the tongue and give way to caramel and toffee. Must be the oak aged part that that is. Not much carbonation, that's fine by me, well balanced hops that are potent and addictive. At 8.5%, this is easy going.

My only regret with this is I only bought one. Stone is hard to find in BC and I might not have a second for a while. Oh well, I have this and I feel like a Lucky Bastard.

02-03-2011 03:06:14 | More by spree92
Liverpool08

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A really nice hop treat here. A nice dark amber/ruby color. Smells of nice oily hops and some ripe citrus. The flavor is at first a strong hop hit to the mouth, but mellows to allow for another sip. This becomes a very nice session beer despite the high ABV. You get to sample all of the best of the three Stone beers in each sip. It seems each one keeps the other from taking over and makes this brew an tasty one to have several of.

02-02-2011 02:38:16 | More by Liverpool08
vtblackdog

Vermont

4.38/5  rDev +5%

A - Dark amber, very slim head after pouring from bomber into pint glass.

S - Faint hop aroma evenly balanced with malts, catching some oak also.

T - A bit on the pleasant bitter side. Can tell its a strong ale but definitely drinkable.

M - Mouth is feeling it and knowing it.

D - Yes.

02-02-2011 00:33:17 | More by vtblackdog
Genuine

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from the bomber into my Sam's 22oz sensory glass.

It poured out a very nice dark amber, with slight red highlights when light was shined through it. Upon the body sat a very slight off white 2 finger head

Smell - First picked up the signature stone aroma's, crisp, hoppy. The nose reminded me the most of double bastard. Not picking up so much on the citrus and pine notes.

Taste - As it follows the nose, first and foremost reminds me of a tamed double bastard, very hoppy, which is balanced out by the malts, creating a very smooth beer, which continues to be smooth all the way through the finish. It's not till the finish that I'm able to pick up the oaky flavors, it's very nice!

Mouthfeel - Medium, almost kind of oily, very nice feeling on the palate. carbonation isn't heavy but I think it helps this one out greatly.

Drinkability - Very drinkable from my stand point. I could have a couple bombers in a night and be very happy. A very delicious brew from Stone, I have yet to be disappointed.

02-01-2011 21:14:29 | More by Genuine
headbucket

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

A:dark ruby with a bunch of little floaties. Looks kinda still and murky. Minimal off white head and a few small splotches of lacing.

S: semi sweet malts start it off,with some dark citrus and grapefruit smell coming later. Also a bit of earthy/herbal notes in there.

T:dark toasted malt starts it off. Then a nice grapefruit hop flavor comes in, puckering my mouth a bit. I start to taste a little bit of the oak after grapefruit,and it is tthe oak and grapefruit bitterness that lingers in my mouth the most prominently, and a little bit of the toasty malt flavor comes back too. An odd mix of the toasty malt and grapefruit juice bitterness.

M: somewhat thick and seems kind of dense in my mouth, would like a littlemore carbonation but this amount seems to fit the style.

D: strong lingering bitterness and the sweet/toasty flavor combine with abv limit it. I am glad I'm splittling this bomber.

02-01-2011 01:13:34 | More by headbucket
BeanBone

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: A clear, orange-brown body capped by a finger and half of creamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves terrific lacing.

Aroma: A blast of citrusy, tropical-fruity, piney, and thoroughly resinous hops and subtle booze over a syrupy dark caramel malt body; typical Bastard territory.

Flavor: Up front, heaps of resinous, spicy, piney, citrusy, and nicely bitter hops along with just a hint of vanilla and wood. Underneath, there's a solid dark-caramel backbone keeping everything from being unbalanced. The alcohol is not fully masked, and contributes nice spicy character throughout. Dark biscuity malt and resinous hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and syrupy medium-full body with medium carbonation a dry finish. Nice warmth from the alcohol throughout.

Drinkability: About what you'd expect with the alcohol content and IBUs: not quite a sipper, but close.

Verdict: Lukcy Basartd is a must-try for fans of Stone's Bastard line. If you're familiar with these beers you know what's to be found here, but this blend is so damn tasty it easily warrants its existence.

01-30-2011 23:36:03 | More by BeanBone
nickthegun12

Alabama

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

damn this beer is something else!!!!

dark ruby in color...with a fading head and excellent lacing...

smells like a nice medley of hops, hops, and malt!...its got that new smell maybe the cascade hops...maybe a hint of chocolate too...

the taste is very nice very malty and very hoppy...very well balanced...

the feel is creamy with a dry finish....

nice drink ability even though its up there in abv

01-30-2011 23:15:04 | More by nickthegun12
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

On-tap at Cask Republic into a 12oz tulip.

A: Beautiful, clear ruby body with an inch of substantial tan head. Good retention and decent lacing. Quite nice.

S: Resinous, piney hops, and...wait, that's it. Maybe some faint caramel sweetness. Enjoyable enough, but nowhere near the complexity I was expecting.

T: Super hoppy, with pine and grapefruit backed up by caramel malt and a touch of fruity booze. Maybe some oaky vanilla on the bitter, hoppy aftertaste. Ok, but definitely less than the sum of its parts.

M: Sticky medium body with a ton of fine carbonation. Ok, but not great.

D: Too much going on here without adding up to anything interesting. It somehow manages to be too sweet, too bitter, and too boozy, all at once. Not the easiest to drink, although it is rather engaging in its sheer aggressiveness.

Notes: This is one arrogant beer all right, but I don't really think it has any right to be. I prefer all three of its constituent parts to it, easily. At least since I got it on tap I didn't have to read that god-awful gibberish on the bottle...

Cheers!

01-30-2011 21:37:45 | More by woosterbill
JayQue

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Good One!!! I like all the "bastids" and the blended one is good too. Pours a clear reddish color with a good size frothy off white head and good lacing. Smell is caramel malts and citrus hops...both aromas pronounced and overall very nice.

Big flavor, worthy of the Arrogant Bastard tradition. I was surprised at how much the woody/oak flavor came through. The beer starts out with a quick blast of citrus hops, muted by a big rich caramel malt flavor and hops again at the end. The oak flavor pretty much stays throughout. It drinks kind of like a barleywine.

Mouthfeel is rich. The heavy duty hoppiness adds crispness. Pretty tame as far as the alcohol presence is concerned. Goes down very nice and smooth. A very good beer that I will drink again (I bought two bottles)!!!

01-30-2011 19:03:05 | More by JayQue
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Excellent hoppy beer. Pours golden with a foamy half inch of head. Citrus hop aromas. Aggressive hops that are muted by a great and substantive malting. Citrus and light fruity tastes. Oh so drinkable.The hops do act to wear down the taste buds somewhat.

01-30-2011 00:45:09 | More by Sammy
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Aroma is mainly fruity, mostly orange, and slightly sweet. There is also a hint of hops. It pours a clear, dark mahogany that is more brown than red and has a fairly thick pale tan head that leaves some good lacing. Flavor is quite hoppy with tones of malt and citrus and just a little bitterness - very satisfying! Texture is smooth and fizzy, leaving a nice sour citrus and hoppy finish.

01-29-2011 22:47:39 | More by Cyberkedi
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.