Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: pours a dark amber color with a short 1/2" head that falls quickly to a spotty surface foam. Mild lacing develops.

Smell: pine, lemon zest, and floral earthy hops create a pleasant aroma.

Taste: nice malt profile with lemon zest, hint of grapefruit, pine, and a nice bitterness. Some fruity sweetness lingers in the background and alcohol in mildly noticable.

Mouhtfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smooth and a bit dry late. Aftertaste is long as the flavors last in the mouth.

Drinkability: this comes across as a mellower version of Arrogant Bastard but is extremely tasty. Worth a try if you find this.

Gavage, Dec 04, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A - This pours a very dark red that looks beautiful when held to the light. It has a very nice 2 1/2 finger off-white head that left good lacing on the glass.

S - As expected it smells a lot like arrogant bastard. I'm getting a lot of piney and citrusy hops. There is also an oakiness and some sweetness present. Notes of caramel.

T - There is a big explosion of pine hops here. It starts out kind of subtle, but gets stronger and stronger. There are nice citrus notes the whole time the bitterness is building. There is some sweet maltiness as well as some vanilla notes. the finish is quite bitter, and the piney bitterness really sticks to the back of the tongue and mouth giving you a pucker feeling. The bitterness really sticks around for quite some time.

M - This has a medium body with a good amount of carbonation. It has a sticky quality and the bitterness really lingers in the mouth. It is also quite smooth

D - I would say that the drinkability is good. It goes down well and has a great flavor. This was the only bottle of this the store had in stock, so I had to grab it. I am glad I got the chance to try this one for sure.

JizackFH, Dec 04, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance: Very dark brown. Head disappeared quickly and there was never much of one.

Smell: Heavy malt.

Taste: Heavy, bitter. Very slight hint of a root beer taste? Hops compliment the alcohol presence that is present.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. Low carb.

Drinkability: Not sure if I will get this one again. I wouldn't have had another one if it were in the fridge that night. Pretty much overpowered my palate and not in the best way. A good beer but not their best by a long shot.

22 ounce bomber.

jtk, Dec 04, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer pours an earthy/dirty brown color with a thick light tan head that sticks around forever.

I get hammered with piney, citrusy, grassy hops in the nose of this beer.

The flavor has malty, hoppey, bitter, piney, grassy flavors. The malt is smooth caramel flavor not much roast if any at all.

The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The beer just slide over your tongue.

This is not the most drinkable beer out there but I do think it is the most drinkable bastard.

On a side note I do have to say that the guys a Stone are real bastard for spelling this beer the way they did. It took me forever to find it!

JoePat, Dec 04, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

22 oz bomber.

Appearance: A fine looking beer. Clear dark red with a light tan colored head. Pretty good retention down to some little swirls on the surface. Some sheets of lacing in the snifter, but nothing that sticks and dries.

Smell: Very pine sappy and citrusy hops. There is oak and sweet smelling caramel malt. Very hoppy and very malty, it smells balanced and inviting.

Taste: One of the biggest hits of pine flavor I've experienced in a while. Sweet citrus hops swirl in and out, but pine rules here. Again, good malty balance with some toast and caramel. Oaky vanilla too. I really like this.

Moouthfeel: Fairly aggressive and slightly tingly carbonation, but its not overdone and works well. Slick in the mouth and sticky resin on the finish.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. Gotta go get some more.

rapidsequence, Dec 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

what can I say that hasn't already been said about this beer? I'm not going to go through the traditional reviewing write up. I like it better than double or oaked bastard (though I like both)because it is smoother. It is a great blend and was well worth the 6.99 I paid for the bomber.

chileman13, Dec 04, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bomber into my Double Bastard Ale specialty glasses.

A--Ruby red pour with a white head. Small head when poured, fairly good retention on the glass. It actually looks like all the other Bastards.

S--Just what you expect. Smells like an Arrogant, but with just hint of smoke from the Oak Aged. Smells like roasted malts, heavy scent of alcohol. Also, I get some fruit notes.

T--Basically like a smoother Arrogant. A very mellow flavor, but not quite to the level as Oaked Arrogant. However, I would recommend this to anyone who likes Arrogant!

D--At 8.20%, I'd say this is pretty drinkable. You don't really taste the alcohol, but I'm sure by the end of the bottle I will.

Again, Stone, great brew. I'm really glad I got to enjoy this.

Mosley1212, Dec 04, 2010

On tap at the Sierra Grill with the Larse. I had no idea what this was so I asked the bartender and was told it's a mixture of the AB, oaked AB, and Double AB. Sounds interesting. I basically got hooked up with a free beer since I got about a 5 ounce sample and the full serving would probably only be about 10 oz. This was surprisingly smooth and drinkable for the abv. It had a very full bodied color and looked rather intimidating. I was hoping for some more of the hops to come through in the taste. It was very bold and in your face as far as taste goes which is what I love about most of the stone beers. Not a bad creation... glad I got to try it.

DNICE555, Dec 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Beautiful burnt orange/brown, with root beer style thick light tan head. Tons of lace.

S - Malt, a little spice, not a whole lot. Maybe too cold.

T - Lush malt, pepper, spice, hops - the whole shebang. Nice.

M - Medium to heavy, good carb, pretty good balance.

D - Too big, too big. Good to try.

srandycarter, Dec 03, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

readnig thsi bttole gvies em hadeacehs....

eyes...
once upon 11:39 eastern
just over 2 fingers o' foam from the pour
while I nodded, gently viewing
a ruby red hue through and through
with head that prolongs it's stay
and legs that last ever more

nose...
Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak November
garden state, hops from the left coast dominate
Eagerly I nearly quaffed till morrow; vainly I had sought to inhale in one swallow
For the caramel malt and radiant brew whom the gargoyle's name Lucky,
time to down some of this bastard's pluck
and strive to run over that guy "little bit of luck"

taste etc...
And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each wave of sip,
Thrilled me---filled me with fantastic hop bitterness felt before
So that now, to slow the gurgle of my glut, I stood repeating,
" 'Tis some stong ass hops I sip thee more,
Some more sips and another pour.
This it is, and and a bit more."

Presently my buzz grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
"Sir," said I, "or Bastard, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is, I was sipping, and so roughly you came rapping
And so bluntly you came tapping, tapping at my shoulder with a roar,
That I scarce was sure I read you." Here I opened wide my mouth;---
Wicked hops and silky mouth feel more.

And the Bastard, never relenting, still is stinging, still is lingering
On the palette like a burst of Dionysus just here by my Pentium 4;
And lucky's eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming.
And the desk light o'er him streaming throws the bomber's shadow across the floor;
And my gaze from under that shadow lies floating from an ABV over 8.4
The glass shall be lifted---nevermore! (until I run to the store to get some more)

verdict?
Somehow smoother than the arrogant one... who says there can be only one ? I say, make it a lucky... This is an unapologetic beer but not unapproachable. f'n yum.

Ego, Dec 03, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a badass looking 22oz bottle into my Ommegang goblet. Nice off white finger of nicely retaining, nicely lacing head. Straight up cherry cola colored. Words cannot describe the nose, but I'll try. Oak. Citrus. Prune. Cola. Sweet malt. Cherry. Amazing. Big flavor. I'd imagine it'll age like a champ. Some pineapple, pine, passion fruit. dark roasty flavors, oak. LOOONG bitter finish. Drying out my mouth long finish. Chalky. Drinks pretty good. This little bastard didn't let me down.

WestValleyIPA, Dec 03, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

In my tulip, it pours a dark brown with a thin gray/white head.

The smell is boozy, but with some spice and toffee sweetness to it.

The taste is ridiculous. I've never had a beer where the balance between hops and malts was this perfect, except for arguably Old Ruffian. The hop bitterness and malty sweetness almost even out, but the hops pull through in the end, making this one of the most delicious beers I've ever had.

The medium body and smoothness make this beer very drinkable, especially for its alcohol content.

This beer is world class. Stone, please brew it again.

Lintyfresh, Dec 03, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours dark brown and sits in the glass dark amber. Off white head. Smells boozey, spicey, malty, grasslike, and toffee sweet.
This beer is similar to arrogant bastard, but, it is more balanced and drinker friendly. It is a huge hop/malt beer but somehow balances perfectly! A long bitter hop/alcoholic aftertaste.
Medium density mouthfeel with that bitter kick. This drinks WAY to easy for the abv! Need to buy a case of this offering.

Trueant1, Dec 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep red with orange tint, lots of fine sediment in suspension, dense and creamy one finger high cream colored head fades to a nice cap leaving thick rings of lace along the way. Smell: nicely dry hopped - pine breezed through at the pour then became quite resiny and a little tropical, a whiff of the oaked and a whiff of alcohol, brown sugar and bready bringing up the back. Taste: mildly pine needly fading into sweetened citrus with some faint melon thrown in, caramel and intensely toasted (and a slight oaked contribution at this point in the sip) with a peppery finish. The carbonation seems a little more intense in this version or maybe it's because my tastebuds are being peeled off. Yes, it's quite good. 2010.

babaracas, Dec 02, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Consumed December 1, 2010 in a standard pint glass. Stone branded, of course. Bottle claims 8.5% ABV, not the 9.2% listed here on B.A.

Beer pours a clear, deep amber/brown. A light yellow/off tan head forms two fingers high then reduces to a clingy, luxurious foam cap.

Aromas are resiny, piny hops with a touch of peppery spice thrown in. Medium-roasted grain also present in nose.

Flavor is strong: amber malts and a significant wash of concentrated hop flavor (herbal, pine tar and bitterness). Lightly smoky. Low sweetness. Oak flavor is subtle, verging on imaginary at times.

Mouthfeel is smooth, a touch chewy and a little creamy.

Tough to finish a whole bomber of this solo; the bitterness is beyond pleasant and verges on the unbearable.

charlzm, Dec 02, 2010

22oz bottle poured into a tulip
Thanks to BeerFM's own Andy for sharing!

Rich mahogany color. This basardt has some nice aromas of malts, hops, caramel, brown sugar, but there an odd plasticy smell that is pretty apparent. Drinkability is fair with the balance of hops, malts, bitterness, and alcohol. Tastes a lot like other Stone ales. For an anniversary beer, I was hoping for a little more.

TheDTrain, Dec 02, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a dark ruby body, light tan head forms thick like dough rising. Fine lacing spread evenly all around the sides of my chalice. Aroma is full of dark nearly burn sugars with a hint of Oaked Arrogant Bastard, with the citrus pine ridden hop tones found in the Double Bastard definitely looks more like the traditional Bastard. This was an awesome idea to blend all three to make something better than any of it's parts. Spicy citrus dark brown sugar malts hints of pine cones, hoppy but balanced. A touch of oak well hidden, alcohol within the flavor spectrum this is how the Bastard is meant to be. This is more of what I remember the early days of Arrogant Bastard meant to me back in 2001 was my first experience. Harsh abrasive but fruit pine and citrus hops balance it out with darker caramelized hops I think they have found the right balance with this Cuvee de Bastard. Smooth drinking mouthfeel medium to full bodied natural easy going carbonaton this body is oily with some resins. Drinkability overall is excellent very easy to drain a 22 ounce bottle but becareful the alcohol by volume will hit you at 9.2% abv, keep trying beers in order to come across this type of an experience.

WVbeergeek, Dec 02, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz bomber into a snifter.

This brew pours a deep, rich mahogany, rather transparent, with a light tan finger and a half of thick, bubbly head that leaves spongy spiderwebs down the glass.

The aroma starts out sticky sweet, with tons of malts and caramel notes. Then the hops hit you! Very piny and floral, with pleasant touches of grapefruit and citrus.

The taste is nice and bitter on the front of the tongue, moving then to rather woodsy hop oils and bits of sweet citrus. Just before the finish you get some of the sweet malts, adding nicely to the balance, before finishing with a lingering hop bitterness. Alcohol is there slightly, but thers' plenty enough going on here to not notice.

The feel is solid medium in body, very smooth, almost velvety, with a nice median carbonation level.

Very good drinkability.

Overall, another very good Stone brew. This one should be interesting with some age on it.

EgadBananas, Dec 02, 2010

Poured into tulip...

A: Pours a dark amber with hues of red and orange, frothy two finger head, decent retention and excellent lacing.

S: Aromas of sticky pine resin hops, boozy alcohol and heavy bready malt.

T: All the flavors of the nose but unfortunately they aren't very well balanced at the moment. I really think in a few months this will really come into its own and be a great beer, but right now the hops overpower everything in the start and the booze cleans everything up on the finish leaving a heavy flavor of malt and booze with bitter hops on the finish.

M: Medium body, slightly oily and thick but nice carbonation. Finish is a little long on the hops and not quite dry enough.

D: The unbalanced flavors and heavy booziness of this beer make it less than drinkable and while I like the beer and am really looking forward to what it will taste like in 6-12 months, right now it is off.

RedBrewer83, Dec 02, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A - Deep red color that yellows on the edges. A foamy, two finger head that looked fairly tan. Some nice lacing and sheets left on the sides.

S - Malt forward, lot of caramel on this with a resiny hops that somehow doesn't smell piney.

T - Decent amount of hops in there, although it is mostly resin to me. This reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, but you can tell there is some Double in there as well. Sweet, with some wood, balance is nice with the bitterness.

M - It's full bodied with a dose of carbonation, don't really notice this one way or the other.

D - Pretty drinkable for a 9.2%, don't really get that off of the taste of feel. This is a solid beer, not a world beater, but I thought it was decent.

AgentZero, Dec 01, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a Sierra Tulip Pint Glass from 22 oz bomber.

Let me start by saying A. I really love me some Arrogant Bastard. B. I really really love me some Double Bastard. C. I wish Oaked was still a seasonal limited release, but still enjoy it.

Appearance was what you expect from this blend, deep red hues like pomegranate and Macintosh apple skin. Nice frothy light tan head with shimmering lacing. Good clarity, a very excellent looking brew.

Aroma was a bit puzzling at first, a bit of conflict of oak, juicy tropical hops and alcohol esters. As it warms the nose brightens and becomes a mixture of tropical fruits, candied apple, pie crust and raspberry jam.

Unfortunately the flavor was even more puzzling, the oak came off like liquid wood, I don't know how else to say it. The hop presence was juicy and presented a nicer firm bittering than any of the single beers of the blend which was nice, but I think that may have been from a surprisingly thin character from this beer. It was stunningly aqueous and juice or wine like in body. The alcohol esters were too apparent and strong.

The mouthfeel was also a mixed bag, while the bittering and dry character helped push my preferred hop character, the alcohol heat and lesser body detracted from the experience.

Not a beer that I would be eager to seek out again. While strong in look and aroma, the beer gets very muddy and alcohol estery from there. It is not easily drinkable because you keep trying to place what this blend should be, and in addition the morning after has a bit of fusel kick back.

PBoegel, Dec 01, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass. 8.5% ABV.

A: Deep ruby red body. Decent white head with some lacing.

S: Caramel and herbs, maybe come citrus.

T: Big herbal notes from the hops. Strong bitterness. Fruits and caramel from the malt. I'm not really picking up any oak.

M: Somewhat thick but not syrupy, medium carbonation.

D: I've realized that I don't really care for big herbal hops like Chinook and Columbus. My tastes definitely tend more toward the pine/grapefruit varieties. If you like that herbal spiciness, though, you'll probably really like this beer.

BarrelO, Dec 01, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy amber color with a tight cream colored head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of caramel notes with piny and citrus hops.

Tastes of the caramel notes up front followed by delicious hops. Malt has notes of caramel, brown sugar, toffee, and some fruitiness. Hops are characterized by citrus and pine with some floral notes as well. Oak notes are hidden towards the end, but can be found. Bitterness is fairly high, but so is sweetness which gives balance to the beer. Alcohol adds some depth as well on the back end.

Mouthfeel is full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Dec 01, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A good looking mohagany color with thick off white head and a tone of sticky lacing. There's some fine sediment particles floating about.

True to form, this has a great hoppy scent of pine and grapefruit with a caramel malt backing.

The taste is tons of hops- pine, grapefruit, and some herbal tones. They dominate the caramel malt by a longshot.

Mouthfeel is heavy and dry. It's very fresh and clean tasting.

Good drinkability. If you like any of the other bastards, it's a given you'll like this one.

Vonerichs, Dec 01, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Amber/ brown color with tan head.

Aromas of pine and citrus and flavors of the same too, with some caramel malt thrown in.

Medium-full body with some bitterness and alcohol warmth on the finish.

This is pretty much Ruination with an Arrogant Bastard-esque malt profile. Which is what it needed all along to earn it's "arrogant" credentials.

This is good stuff, too bad it costs more than it's worth.

dedrinker, Dec 01, 2010
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.