Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, transparent garnet. Finger of tan head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S: Older hops, caramel, toffee. Definite amount of booze in their.

T: Big blast of bitterness up front. Mid palate is darkened fruit, toffee, caramel and some nutiness. Citric hoppiness in the finish (lemon rind). Aftertaste is resinous. Some alcohol heat going down. Warms the chest. Hops taste faded and slightly oxidized, which is strange, since this beer is only 21 days old.

M: Medium/full bodied. Carbonation is minimal, but it's enough to keep the big malts and moderately high alcohol from completely taking over.

O: The faded hop taste throws me off. From my understanding, this is dry hopped. I wonder if the Oaked aspect is messing with the hops. Dunno. Good, and surprisingly cheap at my local shop (6.99).

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

I finally tracked down the last Bastard! ... Which is simply a blend of the bastards I HAVE tried... but also DRY-HOPPED! I can't wait. It says "DIRNK ME NOW" and "DON'T CELALR"... Too bad. I DID cellar it for one night (and I'm sure it would age wonderfully for over a year, too, based on my experience cellaring Arrogant Bastard). But I will drink it now, cellar temperature, in my snifter.

Like every other bastard beer I've beheld, this one is a gorgeous sight. That familiar frothy tan head complementing a deep, shining garnet hue. Awe-inspiring.

It smells of dark cherries and raisins, with accents of pine, citrus zest, vanilla, and a little smoke and leather. A non-specific berry scent too, I think. And of course, DANK HOPS. Love it.

Okay the flavor took me by surprise a bit. A bright, astringent blend of citrus rind and well... DRY hops hits hard and fast like a ninja. We're talking an initial hops assault on the DIPA level here. In the aftermath of this I can taste some caramel, nuttiness, and a dry breadiness wrapping things up. What a ride!

The body is decidedly full, which I am decidedly happy with.

Being a blend of beers I'd already tried, I wasn't sure how distinctive this would be, but I think the dry-hopping made it stand out. Truly an ale worthy of being associated with Stone's prestigious family of bastard beers. It IS the progeny of tho others, after all.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Deep ruby color with nice tan head that disappears quickly. Smells like hops. A lot of hops. Tastes like hops with a bit of barrel aging and some nice maltiness. Very nice beer.

3.72/5  rDev -10.6%

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.