Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.
Reviews: 758 | Hads: 2,394
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a see through copper color almost red, leaves a nice off white head that leaves nice lacing around the glass.

S: Caramel sweetness, with some nice piny hops

T: Sweetness that resembles caramel, some citrusy hops that leaves a well balanced taste!

M: Full body with very little carbonation! Amazing brew!

D: Love this beer, wonderful flavor and taste, definitely would drink again and again! (436 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- About as dark of amber as can still be called amber. I think it's permissible to call it brown. Slightly tanned dense head. Lots of lacing. The only thing that would improve the appearance is better head retention (it's not terrible, but merely so-so)
S- Not as powerful as I would have guessed it would be, but good resinous hop aroma that balances between tangerine and evergreen. Malt aromas are lighter than hops, but still definitely noticable.
T- Sweet caramel malt up front, and finishes with a long powerful hoppiness, whose flavor is initally piney, but grapefruit really fills the aftertaste. Solid bitterness.
M- I bit lighter in body and carbonation than I would have thought, but it works well. Smooth overall though.
O- A solid mix. I haven't had Oaked AB, but both of the others are solid beers. The mix of the 3 work real well. Definite recommendation. (871 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You have to admit that the first time you heard of "Arrogant Bastard Ale", you laughed your ass off. Now we have the Lukcy Bastartd. Personaly, I think that it should have been called "Cuvee de Bastard". Regardless, review #1,500 is about to start. On to the beer:

This is a dark reddish amber colored beer with over an inch of foam on top. The retention on top is excellent, and so i the lacing that it gives. The aroma is classic Bastard; carmelized sugar, pineapple, passionfruit, chocolate, and a whiff of ethanol.

A blend well done. Tasting blind, I would have guessed Slightly Oaked Bastard (or if you prefer, SOB, hahaha). There's a lot of malt crammed into this beer, yet the hops still still their strength and some oak note are present. Gotta love that toasted sugar, touch of oak and vanilla, the passionfruit punch...it continues to get better and better as it warms to room temperature. The 8.5% ABV is hidden very well, and it goes down very easy for such a big bodied beer.

Om nom nom. How delightful! Like the other bastard in the family, Lukcy Bastardt rocks. I'd love to see this released again in the future. (1,132 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

readnig thsi bttole gvies em hadeacehs....

eyes...
once upon 11:39 eastern
just over 2 fingers o' foam from the pour
while I nodded, gently viewing
a ruby red hue through and through
with head that prolongs it's stay
and legs that last ever more

nose...
Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak November
garden state, hops from the left coast dominate
Eagerly I nearly quaffed till morrow; vainly I had sought to inhale in one swallow
For the caramel malt and radiant brew whom the gargoyle's name Lucky,
time to down some of this bastard's pluck
and strive to run over that guy "little bit of luck"

taste etc...
And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each wave of sip,
Thrilled me---filled me with fantastic hop bitterness felt before
So that now, to slow the gurgle of my glut, I stood repeating,
" 'Tis some stong ass hops I sip thee more,
Some more sips and another pour.
This it is, and and a bit more."

Presently my buzz grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
"Sir," said I, "or Bastard, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is, I was sipping, and so roughly you came rapping
And so bluntly you came tapping, tapping at my shoulder with a roar,
That I scarce was sure I read you." Here I opened wide my mouth;---
Wicked hops and silky mouth feel more.

And the Bastard, never relenting, still is stinging, still is lingering
On the palette like a burst of Dionysus just here by my Pentium 4;
And lucky's eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming.
And the desk light o'er him streaming throws the bomber's shadow across the floor;
And my gaze from under that shadow lies floating from an ABV over 8.4
The glass shall be lifted---nevermore! (until I run to the store to get some more)

verdict?
Somehow smoother than the arrogant one... who says there can be only one ? I say, make it a lucky... This is an unapologetic beer but not unapproachable. f'n yum. (1,899 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Beautiful red color with almost no head. Lacing is pretty skimpy

S: Doesn't actually smell like much... a bit of hops, kind of a dulled down version of AB or DB... no oaked smell

T: Completely different from the smell. The taste is absolutely amazing! Pretty much what you'd expect from a mix of the 3 Bastards used. The oak is definitely here, along with the hoppy ale character of AB. The DB is what gives this a higher alcohol content, but doesn't effect the taste very much

M: Good carbonation, smooth and refreshing

D: Right in between AB and DB. Meaning perfect!

New 2012 Batch:
A: Pours a nice ruby red color with a finger and a half's worth of sticky off-white head

S: Get a good dose of hops, light malts, and oak chips. At least I can smell the oak in this years batch!

T: I'm still WOW'd by the complexity and blending ability here. Get the nice oaked character right up front, along with a good dose of hops and malts. Very hoppy, and also get some traces of sweet vanilla and caramel

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth

O: Even after 2 years of having this for the first time, this beer is still amazing to me and probably better than any of the 3 individual beers by themselves, which is saying a lot considering I love all 3 individually. Thanks for re-releasing this one guys!! (1,320 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: dark ruby.. creamy head with tight bubbles

S: caramel/toffee.. grapefruit/orange peel .. slight wood notes with some vanilla.. slight spiciness

T: big malt presence up front.. rich caramel dominates with heavy roasted malts.. then the oak character shuts that all out with wood tones and vanilla coming in.. but it finishes dry and bitter almost harsh.. big grapefruit/orange peel bitterness on the finish.. also some dark fruits and spice linger ..

Mf: nice rich full bodied beer with a smooth creamy texture .. almost perfect..

D: very easy drinker but not close to sessionable .. a true palate crusher .. (614 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%

A: The beer pours a nice dark copper body with a thick tan head that quickly fades and leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

S: I am picking up a strong amount of hops, nice sweet malt, some citrus, piney hops and a little bit of oak and booze.

T: It tastes a lot like your basic Arrogant Bastard, but with so much more going on. I am getting a lot of sweet malt with a nice hoppy bitterness that lasts on my palate for a very long time. The hops go back and forth between spicy and citrusy. Absolutely delicious and crazy beer.

M: For a beer thats so high in alcohol and such an intense flavor, it goes down so easy. It has a nice full body with a nice creamy feel as it goes down. There is also a bit of carbonation on the front of the tongue.

O: This is just a fantastic beer. I mean the flavor is just so insane that it took several sips to even get ahold of what I am drinking. Just a delicious beer and I am so happy that I got the last bottle at my local shop (967 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a Chimay goblet, this is a somewhat hazy walnut-brown beer with a small but dense head. The nose features a lot of hops--very resiny--with toasted malt lingering under there, if you look for it. The flavor is excellent, a study in complex and interesting hopping. Quite bitter, with hop flavor tending toward a rich pine-sap taste, occasionally bringing up hints of citrus. Could it be made with spruce as well? I can't tell, but it's got a sprucy character at the finish. Malt is solid, with toasty caramel and hints of cocoa. But it keeps coming back to the hops. Finish is lingeringly hoppy.

Not at all a session beer, but this is a great sipping and savoring beer. (682 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Pours a deep ruby red that just looks beautiful. It is topped with a thick beige head that does not disappear and laces the glass all over. This is what everyone wants in the look of their beer.

Sweet fruitiness(peach and orange with some tropical pineapple and tangerine type aromas) pours out everywhere from the snifter. I was wondering how prominent the different bastards would be and the oak is easily identifiable. Caramel malt and some piney hop are there as well. This might sound weird but I get a little pumpkin towards the end of the bottle when it warms up. I dig.

Oh yeah….bitter hoppiness and the great hop flavor takes hold at first leading into a huge caramal malt sweetness pop in the middle and end. A little butterscotch and oaky vanilla is there as well. The only bad thing about the taste is that ridiculously amazing fruity nose doesn't totally translate.

Drys out the mouth. Medium bodied. Active carbonation but it is not too much. When you get to the end of the bomber and swirled it around a bit and killed some carb it gets so smooth.

Ok. WOW is all I can say. I didn't know the whole story behind this beer when I bought it. I enjoy Stone and knew it was limited so I grabbed it. It is worth every cent you spend on it. Beers like this make me realize how awesome craft beer is. I love it. (1,324 characters)

Poured into a goblet.

Pours cola-colored, nearly the same color as the bottle. Nice film of pale white head throughout.

Aroma is a potent mix of caramel and piney, biting hops. There's a touch of sweetness, like M&Ms, as well.

Flavor is a really interesting mix of malts and hops. Caramel and an oak woodiness permeate, but leave a little room for the dry, pine hope flavor to sneak through. The combined flavor is so big, I almost wish this beer was a pie so I could chew it.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Nice and dense, but the finish is just a bit sticky, with wonderful flavors remaining.

Great beer all-around. Sometimes brewers amaze me, especially ones like Stone, who produce these spectacular beers with huge flavors in mass quantities. There's a reason they're one of the best. (787 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

The relevant question here is as follows:
In this instance, which is greater – the whole or the sum of its parts?

I’ll fall slightly in favor of the parts. Oaked and Double Bastard both have very distinct flavors as stand-alone offerings. The blending of these flavors along with the addition of some regular Arrogant Bastard leads the unique qualities of each version to get lost in the shuffle.

This remains an excellent offering but I’d rather drink an Oaked or Double as a stand-alone rather than as part of this blend. (533 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My bottle had a best by date of January 2013. I cracked it open in December, 2012.

This pours a wonderfully rich amber with a thick head of foam. The foam loiters more than lingers, hanging out after the first few sips even. There’s a light aroma. It’s piney, with hints of orange peel and a whisper of cinnamon tea hiding somewhere. It’s not a vibrant, big aroma but nicely layered.

The flavor has a mellow rounded bitterness with a piney, resiny heft to the body with a dry tacky finish. It’s malty and smooth with a big bitterness like its siblings only without the sharp edges. I’m not worthy! (609 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a huge head which took it's time dissipating. Hazy copper color and a slow eruption of tiny bubbles slowly working toward the surface. Strong IPA hoppy smell with pine and fruits - and a taste to match. To me this seems virtually identical to Double Bastard, and I'm not complaining about that because I enjoyed both a lot, but I suspect Lukcy Basartd is basically a remarketing of the other. (399 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Copper/Ruby color with a light, tan, one-finger head. Great lacing.

S: I love the floral, citrus, and oak notes here - well done. Very complex.

T: Bitter hops and sweet caramel malt start it off with a mid-section of citrus hop flavor. Finishes dry with notes of oak and hop bitterness.

M: Medium mouthfeel and a mild carbonation. Coats well.

D: Ordered this ON TAP at the Iron Abbey in Horsham, PA. The keg kicked after my pour - I truly am a Lukcy Basartd!! That said, I wanted another, but sadly they removed the tap handle. :-(

If you see this - grab it! It's definitely worthy! (592 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow you can tell they dry hopped the hell out of this. Pours the typical bastard pour, deep amber with an off white head. Aroma is huge citrus and piney hops with a great caramel malt backbone. This drinks like a double IPA crossed with an imperial red ale and provides the best of both styles. Huge west coast hops are perfectly balanced with the massive malt bill. My favorite of the Bastards. (395 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Dark ruby red in color with a quickly receding cream colored foamy head.

S - Brilliant pine with earthy and cedar type notes as well.

T - Intense hop presence with wood, musk and a touch of a very well hidden sweetness hiding in the back end, which finishes with a touch or pepper.

M - Thicker than I expected and smooth on the tongue. World class palate wrecker!

Another fine fun time super day great offering from Stone. (430 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, darker copper colored with a huge off white head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: heavy citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, slightly sweet, slight dark fruit

T: bitter hops up front, grapefruit peel, sweetens into layers of malt, light raisin, pine, oak woody presence, finish is bitter with flavors of hops and wood

M: full and sticky

O: a nice beer with a pronounced hop presence up front, rest is more traditional strong ale flavors (498 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours a dark red/light brown color. Good two finger tan head lasts for a decent amount of time but then fades away. Very hazy with suspended solids throughout the beer.

S: Very grapefruit pine nose with the hop profile. Good amount of this hop presence makes this one a kick right up front in the nose. Great woody character in the nose as well that balances out the hop kick.

T/M: In typical AB fashion the hops are really strong up front. The heavy alcohol base is not present but gives a bit body to this beer. Great wood notes help balance the beer out at the finish. Really quite smooth for being a reasonably high ABV. Really love the hop/wood balance as it makes this drinkable but still really aggressive.

D: Great beer! A nice representation of the AB line of beers and a great addition. Really hope this one get produced in the future! (851 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to my wife for this one. Christmas morning beer!!! Might as well, nothing else to do. Tastes better than I remember regular arrogant bastard and much hoppier. Smells wonderful and seems like a great strong ale hopped up more than usual. Love it and wish it comes out again. (280 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark copper in color with a large bronzed head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves behind a little ring of lace and some foam floating on the beer.

Smell: All of the bastards are here- a wealth of citric and piney hops dominate, with woody aromas and toasty malt in the background, along with a tea-like hint.

Taste: Begins woody and bitter, rounding out to some buttery flavors and finishing with strong earthy, woody, and citric hops.

Mouthfeel: Smooth body with light carbonation and an intense dry finish from the hops.

Drinkability: A great " cuvee de Bastard"- all of the Bastards are here and all complement each other well (which is to be expected). A very nice brew, better than any single Bastard- too bad it will only be around for a short time. Get this while you can! (876 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

I'm a big fan of all three beers that make up Lukcy Basartd (the Bastard, Double, and Oaked), so I had to try it.

A--Dark orange/amber at the thinner point of my glass, and a very pretty ruby/brown at the thicker top. Not much head, but that's exacerbated by my poor choice of glassware (Chimay chalice... too lazy to wash pint). Basically what I expected from a Bastard, which is good.

S--A little hoppier than I remember regular Bastard being. Hops mix with the sweet molasses smell as well as a tinge of alcohol for a (pleasant) wallop to the nose.

T--A wave of almost salty hop-bitterness washes over the taste buds. Then dark, molasses-y sweetness dominates, with a moderate malt flavor. Hops linger on the back of the tongue and add a fruity taste, and alcohol esters are present (since it's 8.5%!) but are mostly overpowered by the intense hops and sweetness.

M--Medium to medium-thick. It's nice and smooth, but not too thin for such a potent brew. Very well carbonated; prickly on the tongue and goes down very nicely.

D--If you're a fan of hoppy beers, it's a nice reprieve from IPA's and still kicks your taste buds in the ass. Had I eaten before writing this, I could definitely go for another bottle--but I'm drinking alone and on an empty stomach, so one is enough!

Stone once again hits it out of the park! They pack the brew with obscene amounts of flavor, and yet they still manage to balance the competing hops, sweetness, and malt. I'll definitely be getting this again!

EDIT: Also, bonus points for using the term "sheeple" on the back of the bottle. lol (1,581 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Pours a very dark reddish brown color with a decent sized tan head.

S: Citrusy and piney hops over a bit of sweet caramel malt.

T: A very interesting spin on arrogant bastard. A huge dose of citrusy and piney hops. An equally large dose of of semi sweet caramel malt. It's a very smooth and pleasant bitterness from the hops.

M: Medium bodied, smooth as hell, active carbonation.

D: Very drinkable for the huge blast of flavor and the 8.5% ABV. Very delicious, a great take on the arrogant bastard series from Stone. (575 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A: ruby red color with a khaki colored head a good ammount of laceing and some alcohol legs

S: lots of juicy citrus fruit and resin on the nose with no alcohol at all

T: great citrus flavor up front hits with a little of pucketing on the sides of the mith with some malt flavor on the backed no alcohol Tate at all when drinking

M: medium bodied mouthful very easy to drink doesn't drink like an 8.5 % beer

O: extremely great experience with this beer what really enhances it is if you smell the beer and sip it at the same time you can really emerce yourself in this beer (580 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - murky brown color with a beige head that left a thin sheet of lacing.

S - hops are the strongest aroma with a light malty backbone.

T - very good tasting beer, the hops upfront are smoothed out with solid malt and light wood notes.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

D - very drinkable considering the higher abv. (370 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Nice burnt orange in the glass with a fast fading head, not much lacing. The aroma is awesome-burnt toffee, vanilla, grapefruit zest and an herbal spiciness.

The flavor is dark bread, toffee and caramel with a juicy hop bitterness. Finishes clean and malty.

The body is a little thinner than I would have thought, but very full nonetheless. A little alcohol heat on the back lets you know you should sip this one.

I really enjoyed this, hope the bring it around again. (472 characters)

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.