Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros

Devinph, Feb 08, 2013

lonewolfcry, Jul 27, 2014

joshwalt, Jan 10, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

presented to me in a tulip glass at Fountainhead while visiting Chicago for thanksgiving.

is a bit murky dark brown with two and a half fingers of head that stay around for a while and leave excellent lacing.

smell is a bit stale and onioney. moreso than other versions of arrogant bastard. some citrus and pine from the dry hopping come through in the smell too.

taste is piney onion hops up front with delicously complex caramel malt profile in the background. maybe a hint of oak, but barely detectable. dont like the hop profile here.

mouthfeel is moderate carbonation with nice chewey feel. well made brew.

I enjoy double bastard and oaked bastard a bit more than this brew as the mix doesnt offer much to me and the dry hops arent my favorite type. only one pour of this for me.

pdoran10, Nov 29, 2010

JoelClark, Aug 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

High hopes for this as blending works for wine, why not for beer?
Attractive dark amber color, very hoppy nose, maybe moreso than I'd expect for this beer, but hey, this is Stone.

Malt and hops mingle nicely on the tongue. Trying to detect some oak, but can't. An astringent, short finish that doesn't really invite another sip. The whole is not more than the sum of the parts, I'd say.

BikeChef, Jan 04, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

My expectations for this beer may have been a bit high - Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard - all together should have been exponentially fantastic. The net result, however, was that the sum was less than the parts. A bit tame, with a moderate caramel malt note and hopping that seemed a bit pedestrian against the malt.

Brent, Dec 23, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Huge three finger head of whipped up reddish-tan foam, larger bubbles in the center of the pour, slowly starts to dimple, lacing curiously lacks the expected stickiness. Gauzy burnt red color with equal brown and orange tints, for its darkness holds light inside well. In the nose there's a big initial splash of juicy pink grapefruit and tangerine which yields to dried pine sap, freshly mown grass and tea leaves, mixes in a touch of carob but the edgy pineapple, papaya, nectarine, apricot fruit scents don't allow for much softening effects, light resinous texture. Close to full-bodied, the hyperactivity of the carbonation both lifts it up off the tongue and scrubs the palate repeatedly. Very bitter, however, more of a knit together whole here with the pine, tea leaf, cedar, cigar ash, tree bark and leaf elements one big punch. As a result, the still ripe grapefruit, orange citrus recedes fairly far into the background. Even the nectarine, apricot, pineapple, green apple fruit woven tightly into the fabric. At the end, as the carbonation fades, it gums up some, decreasing drinkability. Definitely tastes like a Stone product but, perhaps, its reach exceeds its grasp.

farrago, Jan 07, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Very low malt aroma. Significant bitterness which is mostly herbal. Deep chocolate and candi sugar malt. Some dark fruit and a lasting flat bitterness. The hop aftertaste is somewhat astringent and a bit unpleasant for what would otherwise be an excellent beer.

olmatty, Jan 15, 2011

From: Friar Tuck's, Savoy, IL
Date: "Enjoy by January 31, 2013" stamped on bottle
Glass: Tulip

I was generally interested to try this, as I've enjoyed Stone's hop profile lately. The beer, however, is not as satisfying as hoped, consisting of a fairly generic grapefruit-meets-pine hop mixture atop a caramel-like malt sweetness that is too nondescript and one-dimensional to be particularly enjoyable. The obvious ethanol content and its imposition on the senses further dilutes the flavors and aromas, leading to a strong ale that is alright, above average, but nothing amazing. While clearly of the "Arrogant Bastard" lineage, this blend of the beers will probably be a one-time try for me.

Pours a 2cm head of off-white to light tan foam with above average retention; it also leaves above average lacing along the sides of the glass as it descends. Body is a dark amber brown color, with light bringing out dark copperish hues. Carbonation is readily visible through the transparent body, active and plentiful.

Aroma of pine and grapefruit-like hops atop a fairly generic, caramel-like sweet, malt body, with spicy ethanol wafting about in the background.

Tasting opens with caramel-like malt sweetness that quickly transitions to a mid-palate with a fairly balanced blend of pine and grapefruit-like hop flavor, hop bitterness, and caramel malt sweetness. As with aroma, though, maltiness does not change with time or across the palate, generally tasting one-dimensional. Back of palate picks up plenty of spicy ethanol, a bit too strong and obvious for an 8.5% beer, blending with the malt to create a slightly cumin-like taste. Back of palate also features substantial hop bitterness with a pine-like edge. Lingering aftertaste of pine and grapefruit-like pine bitterness intertwined with ethanol.

Body is medium in weight. Carbonation is medium to highly intense at first, coming across as quite prickly, but gradually generating a foamed beer across the palate that moves easily and steadily. Ethanol burn felt on the tongue and back of throat; heat felt in the nostrils. Not well-hidden, makes the beer less enjoyable. Closes dryly, with some stickiness across the palate.

falloutsnow, Dec 14, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Split this baby with my wife between two 16oz snifters.

A deep reddish-orange. The blending comes off more on the Double side than anything. Near garnet in depth, though light will pass through when held up. Lacing is moderate, with a good khaki 2 fingers.

Wow. Intriguing, no one Bastard comes off the strongest, perhaps a new Bastard is born? A bit boozy, mild hop presence on the nose. Very barleywine-esque, with a strong sweet overtone, with toasted bread notes and a citrus finish.

Taste comes off a bit strong in the booze department, giving the fore-flavor a sharp kick. Oak notes dominate, with vanilla and toasted grains dominating. Sharp citrus bite in the end, and a return of the sweet notes from the DBA, which adds a slight note of complexity. Not overly sweet, but rather lacking in balance and depth.

Carbonation is spot on, mouthfeel is rather lacking, leaving no real depth to the beer. Booze is too strong, making this one a sipper not only because it is rather dominant and at 8.5%, might make it a one timer.

This is an interesting beer, but one to try after having the OAB, regular AB and DBA. That way you get you a good understanding of what all went into this beer. Though a nice concept, I heavily prefer them separate. Each one is great on it's own, and blending them just doesn't do them justice.

Cheesemoose, Feb 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A - Deep red color that yellows on the edges. A foamy, two finger head that looked fairly tan. Some nice lacing and sheets left on the sides.

S - Malt forward, lot of caramel on this with a resiny hops that somehow doesn't smell piney.

T - Decent amount of hops in there, although it is mostly resin to me. This reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, but you can tell there is some Double in there as well. Sweet, with some wood, balance is nice with the bitterness.

M - It's full bodied with a dose of carbonation, don't really notice this one way or the other.

D - Pretty drinkable for a 9.2%, don't really get that off of the taste of feel. This is a solid beer, not a world beater, but I thought it was decent.

AgentZero, Dec 01, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

An attractive golden oak color in the really big Duvel tulip. Very nice sudsy foam and it does have a nice mouthfeel, just a little oily.

Malty and melting with caramel. Quite a lovely sunshiney flavor. Then the Hop Bastards come in and stomp over everything enthusiastically. But there is some pleasant fruity flavor, dried apricot and green plum, all very tart and sharp. The oak adds a nice undertone without being wood in your face. I think other brewers ought to consider blending their over-barrelled brews with other stuff.

Maybe this is a case where the sum is greater than the parts. I am not a big AB fan and even less of the Double AB (I call it Ignorant MF). So this is a step up for me, even though the endless candied grapefruit pith got old about 10 years ago. From the 22 oz bottle for six bucks from the Ibis Market in San Diego.

mactrail, Dec 08, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Dark amber to brown color with two fingers of frothy white head.

S: Very strong pine hops (strength may be due to freshness, I don't think I've ever had a Bastard/Basartd that had been on the shelves for as short a time as this one). Oak is noticeable too, and is the first noticeable quality of the taste.

T, cont.: Plenty of hop bitterness, and a bit of fruity sweetness too, maybe from raisin and plum. I might have guessed this was an IPA if I took a slip blindfolded.

M: Slightly creamy; beer has a medium body with moderate carbonation.

D: Decent, maybe a bit too sweet to go beyond the one bomber of it in a night. A slow drinker, but that's reasonable considering its ABV.

I preferred each of this beer's three components when I had them on their own, but definitely give this a try if you enjoyed the others.

AwYeh, Dec 24, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Hmm, surprised I didn't review this the last time it came out because I know I've had it before. Oh well, a buddy picked one up and shared it with me, its still good. Hoppy smell that sort of leads you on about what the flavor will be. I found the flavor to have a decent bitterness but I felt like the oaked bastard really dominated. It would be interesting to learn what the blend percentages are but I'd guess its "classified'. Alcohol was noticeable and I'm sure the double bastard was responsible. This was good but I think regular old arrogant bastard may be the best bastard.

ArrogantB, Nov 11, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Served in a snifter at The Barley House.

A lovely follow-up to Darkness. It pours a slightly hazy ruby topped by a thick finger of eggshell foam. The nose comprises pearl onions, light pine, white bread, orange peel, Swiss cheese, and a decidedly light bit o' toffee. As odd as it may sound (I know it did to me), it comes together nicely enough. The taste blasts the tongue with hops, mostly traipsing in with spicy, onion-y notes. A cowering puddle of caramel lies dejected in the back. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a thick feel, and a dry finish. Overall, I think this thing is a bit much. I think a good amount of complexity could have been achieved had the hops not destroyed all semblance of anything else. Still, this was quite the event.

TMoney2591, Nov 19, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

A - Reddish hue with absence of carbonation. I could not see much carbonation in the pint glass I have poured the beer in. However, the beer looked very appetizing.

S - The hops came alive when I sniffed the damn thing. It smells like a good beer and very fresh one at that.

Taste - For me, the beer taste crude in their handling of the hops, but I already expected that from Stone. it seems like it's their trademark, to make their beers strong and coarse. I do not mind because it certainly excites my palate.

M - The beer lingers in your mouth long after you have swallowed, so it is quite substantial. However, the beer was ever so slightly flat for my taste.

Drinkability - It's very drinkable on its own, but I would think it's better suited with food as it packs a punch.

2xHops, Feb 10, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours hazy caramel brown, blending into red at the edges; head quickly recedes to less than half a finger of off-white soap bubbles around the edges and a film of oils. This is an attractive beer.

Aroma is fruity hops, peaches and citrus predominant with a background of toffeeish malts; very light vanilla note (probably from the 1/3 oaked bastard.) If you blindfolded me, I'm not sure I could tell this apart from double bastard by smell-- the vanilla is subtle.

Opens with muted malt note, hop flavor mid-palate (more pine than in the aroma) gives way quickly to bracing bitterness which hangs on. Oak notes (and malt) are more obvious on repeated tasting but again, subtle. People will accuse me of drinking it too early, but I expected a little more complexity here-- the flavor profile seems more compact than fresh double bastard.

Mouthfeel is effervescent, drinkability about average.

The hops don't pop the way they do in straightforward DIPAs (including Stone's own) at least in the bottle; that's more or less expected for the Bastard beers. I'd be interested to have this on tap. In bottles, I suspect it will take on more complexity with a few years as the bittering drops out a bit.

kajerm, Feb 17, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Appeareance - Light brown head, 3 fingers, good lacing, good carbonation, prun colour that still passes light.

Smell - Deep caramel, orange, vanilla

Taste - Smooth, end bitterness, slight metallic in finish, raisin/prun base

Mouthfeel - Nothing really added, all the same just enhanced, not a lot of volume.

Overall - not a bad tasting beer, had it at a sampling with SpinRSX and was grateful to have tried it.

Swedes21, Jun 21, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Aroma is loads of citrus, grapefruit, lemon, orange. There is also lots of malt in the nose, mainly caramel malts. Fairly sweet backbone.

The taste has a huge burst of citrus and resiny hops which is overwhelming in my opinion, this is followed by some sweet and smooth malts but the bitterness is just too over the top for me. Would have liked some more of the oaked Bastard in this beer to keep it more in balance. Definitely a palate wrecker here.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice balance of carbonation, fairly smooth. Overall the hops are a little overwhelming in this one, I can drink this but it's not really something that I want drink a lot of, okay to drink once but I probably wouldn't pick up another one of these.

claspada, Jan 08, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

I opened a bottle from my cellar on 9.1.12.

A - Pours a dark carmel brown with a one and a half inch light tan head that slowly fades.

S - Carmel, toffee, breatdy malts.

T - Carmel, acidic, wheat toast, and some oxidization.

D - Thin body with solid carbonation with a strong metal finish.

O - This one is way past it's prime. I can tell the key ingredients were good with lots of carmel malts, but the oxidization is just nasty here.

Edit on 11.3.12

New batch and much nicer. Scores reflect this new batch.

S - Strong Carmel malt and dark roasted malt and dark fruit. A nice hoppy background presence.

T - Taste is similar. Sweet Carmel malt with a nice hop balance.

HuskyinPDX, Sep 06, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Enjoyed on 3/12. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a deep amber color, with a hazy body and grainy hues. A white lily pad of foam rests on top, which was conjured up by a very lively rush of carbonation. Visually, it stands alongside its brother beers.

Aroma packs in sweet malt, some bitter hops, gooey caramel and smoky wood (provided by the Oaked Bastard). The slight booziness in the conclusion may be the only odd note, but it's admirable otherwise.

Ale is creamy in texture with a blast of hops that hit the back of the tongue. The hoppy dryness is accompanied by a buttery malt and a mild oakiness. The taste is a nice combination of the sweet/creamy and the hoppy/bitter. The aforementioned sweetness lingers just as much as the hop bite and you can certainly taste aspects of all 3 Bastards.

Mouth is a juxtaposition of malt on top of hops, with warming booze thrown in as the wild card. Hop scrape is subdued by the creaminess and the two differing flavors seem to play well together.

This may not be as insanely drinkable as the original or as mysterious and delicious as the oaked model, but the blend is certainly unique and the increased weight brought on by the Double Bastard doesn't detract from the flavor.

deapokid, Apr 30, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

On-tap at Cask Republic into a 12oz tulip.

A: Beautiful, clear ruby body with an inch of substantial tan head. Good retention and decent lacing. Quite nice.

S: Resinous, piney hops, and...wait, that's it. Maybe some faint caramel sweetness. Enjoyable enough, but nowhere near the complexity I was expecting.

T: Super hoppy, with pine and grapefruit backed up by caramel malt and a touch of fruity booze. Maybe some oaky vanilla on the bitter, hoppy aftertaste. Ok, but definitely less than the sum of its parts.

M: Sticky medium body with a ton of fine carbonation. Ok, but not great.

D: Too much going on here without adding up to anything interesting. It somehow manages to be too sweet, too bitter, and too boozy, all at once. Not the easiest to drink, although it is rather engaging in its sheer aggressiveness.

Notes: This is one arrogant beer all right, but I don't really think it has any right to be. I prefer all three of its constituent parts to it, easily. At least since I got it on tap I didn't have to read that god-awful gibberish on the bottle...

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jan 30, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Seen this around in a few places, figured I'd pick it up and give it a try.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my DFH Chalice, the beer is a deep, clear brown color with about a half inch worth of light tan colored head. The head fades away fairly quickly, leaving behind a thin layer of foam with sporadic bubbles across the top of the beer.

Smell: I'm getting a light grapefruit/citrusy smell, but it's not the sort of quality you get from hops. There's a sweet, bready, toffee-like quality to it too.

Taste: Got some bitterness from hops, that hits me right up front. The malt comes in a bit later, and it's not as strong as I would have thought it would be given the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation, drinks easy.

Drinkability: Not a bad tasting brew. Its got a dry bitterness from the hops, which I like, and a decent malt profile to compliment the hops. I feel like it could have a bit more complexity and oomph, but it's not a bad brew. I'm glad I tried it, and I wouldn't turn one down if I was offered one, but I don't think I'd rush out to pick up another bottle anytime soon.

krisandajt, Feb 04, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Rich mahogany with moderate tan head and light lacing.

Smell: Caramel, citrus and pine. Some oak and spiciness. Not as intense as expected.

Taste: Semi-sweet caramel core, with layers of citrus and pine. Finish is moderately bitter, with just a hint of oak.

Feel: Medium to full creamy body with a dry finish.

Overall: In my opinion, it is not as good as the sum of its parts. All of the flavors of the three base beers seem to be muting each other, and I am just left with a very good, but not distinctive, Strong Red Ale. Still really like it, but would rather have an Arrogant Bastard or Double Bastard.

bsp77, Nov 25, 2012
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.