Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

My wife is in Brooklyn tonight for a DMB concert, so time to wrap some gifts and give this beer a shot. It's been in my fridge a few weeks.

I poured this beast into a Caesar's Palace bomber glass - nice presentation - a good inch and a half of foamy head which reduces quite gradually. Clear amber in color with some rising bubbles. Smells of malts and alcohol.

Has a sugary sweet malt flavor followed by a bitter, piney hop finish. I'm also noticing some caramel notes and a mild alcohol burn. This is heavy duty stuff. A meal in itself. I just had some dragon sushi rolls, was planning on cooking up some steak tips but now I'm having second thoughts.

This is another flavorful/complex offering from Stone. A definite slow sipper. I recommend having it before or after a light dinner. As for me, I'll probably still have the steak tips. "I eat too much..too much!!" --DMB

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured a deep amber hue with a two finger frothy off white head. There was very good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured burnt caramel, earthy malts and a balmy piney hop.

The taste consisted of a coarse earthy caramel, burnt candy sugar and full, yet reserved piney hop.

The mouthfeel was full with a residual hop spice.

Overall a tasty and complex strong ale. Nice concoction.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Bomber to snifter, this batch is best by 1/31/13

Pours a dark brown ruby with a finger of creamed mocha foam. Retention is pretty average, but a bit expected. Pretty good lacing

Aroma is pretty interesting, hops standing out the most followed with some caramel and toffee malts. Some oak is in there along with a trace of alcohol. Hints of chocolate and tobacco. Not as pungent as I hoped

Taste of strong hops, caramel, oak, alcohol, and some sweet malts. All of the flavors balance each other quite well, which honestly leaves the beer tasting a little bland. Overall it's still pretty strong though

Feel is full bodied, mild carbonation, good bitterness, and goes down smooth. Creamy with a dry finish, very drinkable

Overall this beer is pretty good. It's probably the most inferior of all the bastards, but it's a bastard none the less and still better than a lot of strong ales out there. If my regular store has any left I'll buy some more, in any case I'm glad I got to try it

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A-ruby/amber tones after being poured into my pint glass, with mildly bubbling head and modest lacing. as a point of reference, in my ambient light it showed slightly lighter than the original Bastard brew but none the less attractive.

S-nice malts, some caramel character, and signature citrus-pine hoppiness meets the nose.

T-no major departure from the original as I taste, and I have no real qualms with that. the taste is slightly sweeter, with a pronounced albeit mild caramel presence. the hops are still there but the kick actually seems a bit more modest and the overall flavor itself strikes me as more muted in spite of the slightly higher ABV.

M-very evenly balanced brew. not heavy at all, mildly carbonated, and with a sticky but pleasant feel and a smooth aftertaste.

O-this brew is certainly not looking to set itself apart from its Bastard brethren in any major way, and with the great product that Stone has in that line I don't really see why that wheel needs much reinventing anyway. There is enough here to let me know that I am drinking something other than the Oaked, Double, or original Bastard, and as an adoptee in my own life I am more than happy to welcome another illegitimate brother to the table.

salud!

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

I feel this this release is significantly better than the first time I had it. Maybe the blend is different this batch. Who knows.

Really nice hoppy spice character going on. Minimal citrus tones with a fair amount of pine. Great balance, even though it's pretty powerful and robust. I like this beer a lot. And it's probably one of the coolest bottle designs I have see from Stone so far.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.