1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lukcy Basartd Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Lukcy Basartd AleLukcy Basartd Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard to celebrate the 13 Year Anniversary of Arrogant Bastard.

Blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lukcy Basartd Ale Alström Bros

ccozzi, Jun 17, 2012

fox227, Dec 20, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

jk3, Feb 10, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a cellar temperature bottle into a goblet. The beer has a ruby tinted brown liquid body, with a small off-white head of small bubbles that disappeared quickly. It's a transparent liquid and I can see a few streams of rising carbonation. Lots of lace and film are left behind when I swirl my glass around.

A strong bitter hoppy nose is balanced with some sweet candy-like malts. I can pick out plum and dark chocolate. It smells like a hoppy port. The flavor reveals a big malty body with a good hop character. It isn't as overtly bitter as Arrogant Bastard. To me, it tastes more mature and complex; probably because I know its a blend. This feels like a sipper to me, mostly because of the complexities in it (not because of the alcohol or bitterness). I'll enjoy this 22oz bottle over a nice long session. It's a great beer to relax with. It isn't very sticky, and it's lower carbonation help with the drinkability. I really enjoy this beer. I'll have to pick up another bottle if I see one.

ToasterChef, Jan 12, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

No point going into too much detail. You know what this beer is about.

My favorite of the bastard beers. Has the best of its three components.
Aggressive hop character of AB,
Smooth maltiness of oaked,
And straight out brashness of double.

Seriously enjoyable. Having fun picking it apart and placing where all the nuances came from.

joecast, Nov 14, 2012

baklo, Oct 29, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a huge head which took it's time dissipating. Hazy copper color and a slow eruption of tiny bubbles slowly working toward the surface. Strong IPA hoppy smell with pine and fruits - and a taste to match. To me this seems virtually identical to Double Bastard, and I'm not complaining about that because I enjoyed both a lot, but I suspect Lukcy Basartd is basically a remarketing of the other.

MoreThanWine, Dec 17, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Lukcy Basartd Ale is a delicious variation on the bastard series.

A: Dark red orange colour and a huge head that lasts. 5

S: Piney hop aroma with some sweet maltiness too. 4.5

T: Malty with a pine woody tang from the hops. The finish is woody with a slight alcohol kick. 4.5

M: Silky with some slight carbonation. The hop oils are noticeable. 4.5

O: Yum, Yum. It has the hoppiness of Arrogant Bastard with some of the complexity of Double Bastard. 4.5

vandemonian, Jul 31, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

I'm not entirely sure what to expect here. Didn't read any reviews. I'll give it the royal treatment in the Stone imperial pint, though. I don't like Double Bastard much, love Oaked AB, and am cool with regular AB....so who knows?

Pours on the darker side of amber. Creamy looking head and excellent retention with lace.

If it tastes the way it smells, I think I'm going to like it quite a bit. It's all typical Stone, green hops like you just picked them and rubbed them in your hands. Don't smell much alcohol, either, the influence of Double Bastard seems to be minimized, which is fine with me. A little vegetal note, and a little acetone as it warms that I'm not crazy about - I think it had a more focused hop aroma cold, so I'm going to drop it a half-point from the 4.5 I was originally going to give.

Hmm, I think this owes the most to Oaked AB. Piney, soapy hops hit hard up front, of course. But then they get rounded out by that oaky vanilla, lending a soft, smooth finish that beckons another sip. I believe that this rounding-out helps the feel as well, as it seems silky.

Well, I have to admit, I was expecting something overblown and difficult to drink. It's no lightweight at 8.5%, sure, but it's not really that overbearing. I like.

Patrick999, Dec 10, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A - This pours a very dark red that looks beautiful when held to the light. It has a very nice 2 1/2 finger off-white head that left good lacing on the glass.

S - As expected it smells a lot like arrogant bastard. I'm getting a lot of piney and citrusy hops. There is also an oakiness and some sweetness present. Notes of caramel.

T - There is a big explosion of pine hops here. It starts out kind of subtle, but gets stronger and stronger. There are nice citrus notes the whole time the bitterness is building. There is some sweet maltiness as well as some vanilla notes. the finish is quite bitter, and the piney bitterness really sticks to the back of the tongue and mouth giving you a pucker feeling. The bitterness really sticks around for quite some time.

M - This has a medium body with a good amount of carbonation. It has a sticky quality and the bitterness really lingers in the mouth. It is also quite smooth

D - I would say that the drinkability is good. It goes down well and has a great flavor. This was the only bottle of this the store had in stock, so I had to grab it. I am glad I got the chance to try this one for sure.

JizackFH, Dec 04, 2010

user785335, Dec 31, 2012

AlexChillton, Nov 03, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel tulip, best before 1/31/13. Poured aggressive down the center and got a huge 4 inch off white head, hangs around awhile before coating the glass with lace. Smell is citrus, carmel, pine, toffee, bready, and a hint of vanilla. Taste is very big, sweet carmel and toffee up-front, with a burst of grapefruit, citrus, and alcohol in the finish, really well done. Body is medium large, with plenty of carbonation, more lush than dry, and very approachable. This is another hoppy gem from Stone.

SawDog505, Nov 04, 2012

GennyCreamAle, Nov 15, 2012

marct, Feb 22, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into my new Founders Sniffer
A- Dark cooper with white head that retains
S-Nice hoppy wooden smell. malt is starting to come through with age.
T-transfers from hoppy to more mellow as the beer warms up. Very subtle undertones of caramel. Sweeter than I expected.
M-Medium bodied. Leaves a nice wooden after taste in my mouth
D-very drinkable. Enjoyed it with the start of the superbowl

brew3crew, Feb 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours a cloudy tan, like the color of iced tea. Has a minimal, soapy head that clings like a ring around the rim.

Has a yeasty, bready smell, with grape, currant and burnt sugar. The fruity aroma is quite pleasing.

Bitterly bitter, this beer is a 72 year old virgin who was just laid off for the 37th time and is living in his 2nd cousin's rat infested basement. Slightly sweet, somewhat fruity, the bitterness of this awesome ale allows full flavor before leveling your mouth to the floor with awesome bitter.

Medium to full bodied, this brew leaves your tongue feeling dry and your throat spiced.

Stone's Bastard series is always a good bet for a tasty beer, and this one does not disappoint. While excellent, I'm not seeing much difference between this and their regular Arrogant Bastard.

TheHoppiest, Feb 19, 2011

WritersBlock, Dec 01, 2012
Lukcy Basartd Ale from Stone Brewing Co.