Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002)
Reviews by LarryV:
LarryV

2.53/5  rDev -34.5%

Poured a chestnut hued amber with a rapidly disappearing head. Aroma is mostly hops, a bit raw like this beer could have used a bit more aging. Taste comes across initially as bitter hoppiness followed by the slight sweetness of the malt. This is quickly followed by an earthy flavor that I couldn't place, almost like smoked peat. Overall, it's a strange tasting brew and after having one I really wasn't interested in having another. Not one of Stone's best offerings imho.

05-17-2009 10:17:17 | More by LarryV
oberon

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

I finally got around to buying this ale,it had been long enough.Poured into a standard pint glass a lighter shade of amber with a thinner but well retained clingy white head.Almost all pine and grapefruit rind in the nose wich is fine by me,just a faint whif of sweet caramel is there as well.Lighter mouthfeel with hop dominated flavors,quite citric with some lighter pine notes,the caramel base gives off some blancing sweetness.A easy drinking hopped up amber ale,nice.

09-05-2009 01:26:08 | More by oberon
RoyalT

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance – Light, relatively clear brown body with a gorgeous head that went down slowly and covered the inside of the glass.

Smell – There is a very sharp, piney hop aroma that hits hard. I’m sure that there is more to this nose, but the sharp, rindy pine-style of hops fill the air.

Taste – The taste is much lighter than the nose. It’s pleasant, but the fairly sharp flavors contrast with the light body.

Mouthfeel – Little carbonation and a light body make this one a pleasure on the way down.

Drinkability – This is a good drinker, and a great choice if you’re looking for a tasty ale with a low ABV.

10-06-2003 20:23:51 | More by RoyalT

02-10-2013 17:34:52 | More by tbryan5
Breen

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Pour/Appearance: Rather thin head that maintained through the session and left thick lacing on the glass. Dark red tint; hazy with some visibility to other side when held to light.

Smell: Grapefruit! (cascade hops?)

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, yet relatively heavy on carbonation.

Taste: Citrus/grapefruit from the hops are very prevalent in this red ale. There is a lingering aftertaste of this flavor as well.

Overall an enjoyable ale, but unbalanced. Definitely on the extreme end of the hops scale for my taste buds.

05-27-2012 21:32:38 | More by Breen
Matty-K

Georgia

01-16-2013 00:21:04 | More by Matty-K
Dmann

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

This is the only Stone beer that I have tried that did not impress me that much. It poured a nice dark amber color with a great head that left lots of lace down the glass. The smell was quite malty with a hint of piney hops in there. The taste...well I can only describe it as "Arrogant Bastard light". It does have quite a bit of hop kick and a good malt backbone but it does not tase unique enough to give it a higher score. This beer is very easy to drink though, just not all that exciting.

04-15-2004 10:10:02 | More by Dmann
SuomiHobbit

Connecticut

07-21-2013 19:07:26 | More by SuomiHobbit
orbitalr0x

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

I'm always excited to try a new Stone brew, this one with a levitating gargoyle on the front. It pours from the 12oz bottle into my glass a deep amber/red with a solid half inch of light tan foam. Quite appealing. Aromas start with a nice biscuity/bready/doughy maltiness and a touch of caramel. Plenty of pungent citrusy, resinous hops in the mix. Clean, sharp and vibrant.

First sip brings a big biscuit, doughy maltiness right out of the gate with a touch of caramel and a slight sour note. Herbal, citrusy hop tones come in midway through and meld in nicely. Slighty nutty, this one finishes with a mellow bitterness. Another tasty brew from Stone.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an expansive carbonation that engulfs the mouth and gives a nice creamy sensation. Easily drinkable, would make a nice session brew if I had access to it. Might serve as a nice crossover beer for those new to craft brew as well. Thanks to Callenak for the chance to sample this one.

08-05-2006 23:30:36 | More by orbitalr0x
blitz134

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Darker than most ambers I've had. Sits a nice clear dark caramel amber color in my pint glass. Had a nice one inch head on the pour that reduced to a quarter inch of dense tan foam. Coral lace grips the glass. I dont know how Stone does it with their head and its retention...always a highlight of their brews. Not much else I could ask for.

Sweet aroma with its caramel malting and dark bread hints. Floral and citrus hops dominate but there is actually a substantial malting component to this, but leave it to Stone to make some hops show up as well. Simple smell but still good.

Taste is a bit different than the aroma. More of an earthy, biscuit maltyness that is typical of most ambers. Finishes with the same earthy hops. Again pretty simple.

Mouthfeel is a touch thin to me. It sticks to the cheeks well but is a touch watery. Decent carbonation though leads to a crisp edge. Good drinkability though. I'd recommend this to someone who was just getting into craft beers, for me though there are others out there on the same level.

09-24-2006 23:04:28 | More by blitz134
bertcat9000

07-27-2012 19:27:11 | More by bertcat9000
danthehopslamman

08-10-2013 06:11:16 | More by danthehopslamman
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

In my SA pint glass this beer was cherry amber color. It had a medium sized tan head that left a little bit of lace.
Aroma of sweet malt, outdoors, and flowers.
Malt taste first, followed by piney hops.
Very nice beer, well hopped. I gave it a little extra for mouthfeel just because I thought Stone did a lot with a 4.4% ABV beer.

07-17-2010 13:21:27 | More by lordofthewiens

08-22-2014 19:51:55 | More by Chlsyhawkins
Todd

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz brown bottle. No freshness date.

Pours a clear, bright chestnut/rich dark amber coloured beer topped with a creamy, finger thick, off-white head. Nice stick and retention. Restrained hop aroma, floral, touch of grass with a slight toasty malt character in the nose.

A somewhat thick, rich-body, even a bit chewy and slick on the palate ... Tight, tingly carbonation. Hop flavours are herbal, sharp with salty/lime note of citrus, leaf, pine, wood and earth. Dry, a bit astringent. Malt character is pretty much all tied up in the body, yet some caramel (bit buttery, too) notes sneak through, along with notes of toasted bread, a slight twang of roasted malts, peanut skin, splash of fruity prune. At times, a bit vinous in character, too. Dry finish, with raw leaf and grain notes.

Who beat up the Arrogant Bastard? A less powerful, more sessionable offering from Stone, yet still complex. I like it, and I'd like to see more brews like this from them.

08-01-2003 02:51:52 | More by Todd
marvin213

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Way darker than I expected. It looks more like a straight brown ale to me. I'm guilty of associating alcohol level with darkness when picturing beers, and it basically shocks me that this dark brown ale is less than 5%ABV. The appearance of the beer leaves me shocked. Is that good or bad? I'm not certain, but it's not what I expected.

The smell is really good. It's like cedar chips. It's like an oaky pine tree...with oranges growing on it. This beer's smell could be the odor of a cleaning agent. I mean that with sincere fondness. It's comprable to the scent of freshly applied Pledge with Lemon on a big ol' mohagany executive desk.

The taste is quite good. Interestingly, I taste much of what I smelled, and it doesn't transfer senses quite as well. As far as American Ambers, I must say this is my favorite of memory. I acknowledge it's not my favorite style, but the malts in this fresh-tasting (got it on arrival day at the local spot), lemony vibe are not of the burnt variety with which I'm more familiar. This is a good beer.

The mouthfeel's got a lemony zing. The carbonation and lemon zest really provide a tingle. I'm glad I got this one fresh--I could see this one really degrading with time. This review might be unfairly skewed in a positive manner due solely to freshness, but reviews--like life--aren't fair.

The most drinkable red I've come across. At times, I'm a homer, but I'd have to say this tops Greensboro's own Red Oak. It's the closest thing to a malt bomb you can take to an afternoon picnic...except an ice cream sundae, I guess, but we're talking about beer....

06-14-2009 19:39:27 | More by marvin213
Beaver13

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

The Levitation pours a copper-red with a creamy light tan head that goes to a thin film and collar.

Its aroma is a nice mix of spicy, piney hops and sweet caramel malts and some subtle notes of fruitiness.

The flavor is bready, sweet caramel malts initially, a little fruitiness and then a nice bitter piney hop finish. It is medium bodied and pretty smooth. It has a watery finish though that washes out a lot of the flavor.

Overall, I was let down a bit. I like how the sweet and hoppiness blended. But it seemed a little off. It's very close to being an excellent brew, but not quite there.

10-09-2004 05:25:56 | More by Beaver13
Fiore757

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

06-05-2013 01:17:49 | More by Fiore757
nstroup

05-10-2013 06:54:29 | More by nstroup
Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.