Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,198 | Hads: 3,856

By far one of my top beer! Very hoppy but has a great malt balance. Seems like a lighter ipa. If your not quite ready for ipas yet this is where you should start. Goes down very smoothly and has a high drinkablilty. I could definitely use this as a session beer.

This beer was great! Easily one of my top 5 for flavor and drinkability. This is definitely going to be a regular in my arsenal from now on. I love the excellent quality of this beer compared to beers with a comparable ABV. I suggest this to anyone wanting to broaden out to bolder more adventurous beers because it is a tame stroll into the depths of Stone beers which I have found all to be good to date in my experiences.

4.95/5  rDev +27.6%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Stone Levitation glass! No date. The body was clear of sediment and a deep golden amber color. The frothy, uneven head left some rings of lace.

Smell was bursting with variety. Pepper, biscuits, sassafras. Yum. Organic leafy notes. Metal and bread. Lots going on here.

Taste was sweet malts and fruity tanginess. Biscuity. Slight roasted grain flavor. Hints of iodine, medicinal. Amazing amount of flavor and aroma from a 4.4% beer.

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body. Adequate carbonation. Very drinkable. I'm glad to finally have this one distributed in the area. For a very long time one has been able to buy Stone here but only recently can you now find Levitation.

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

Appearance: Dark orange with a clean body

Head: Light tan head that has a nice lace

Smell: Rich malts with a subtle dark citric

Taste: Amarillo hops right off the bat that has High alpha acid count, like taking an Amarillo pellet right from the pack and eating it up. Yum! With some subtle caramel malt in the background

Weight: Medium body with a medium carbonation

Finish: Bitter citric with a bit of stickiness on the lips

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark amber color with a 2 finger head.

S - Very hoppy smell for an amber beers.

T - The beer smells hoppier than it taste. You can taste the hops towards the end of the drink. Real smooth beer.

M - Thin body and medium carbination.

O - No Doubt to why this is an award winning beer. Would definitly buy again but I can no longer get Stone in Wisconsin.

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

Fabulous beer...Very hoppy, although, it is a more "earthy" type of hop note. Wonderful balance of malt/hops. I highly recommend this beer, it is one of the best beers I have ever had. Stone beers never cease to impress the hell out of me. It seems like they just don't miss! Although their pale ale was not great, but not bad either.

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

'Defying Gravity" - apparently, original gravity with its modest 4.4% ABV, Stone Levitation is a change of pace to its Stone brothers. Perhaps in ABV, but not in taste.

A - poured a deep amber color into a 25th anniversary Bells pint glass. Perfectly clear with no troubles seeing thru to other side. Modest head, but fantastic lacing.

S - Earthy and pine smells with a floral hops pressence.

T - Rich carmel and roasted malts introduce a hoppy dry finish. Hop characteristic very similar to Stone's self-righteous ale.

M - perfect carbonation and very crisp.

D - This seems like a toned down version of the self-righteous ale. And at 4.4% ABV, I'll definately have another.

4.81/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Is there such a thing as a perfect beer? Stone Brewery, you’ve done it again.

The appearance is amber to golden brown.

When you open a bottle or pour it, you’ll notice the chamomile almost right away, with a mix of pine and citrus notes. Malty but not too much so. Taste is crisp, spicy. You’ll notice the chamomile again as a finish.

Overall, this is an outstanding beer. Unique and classic.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Dark ruby/copper color with a nice foamy head with excellent retention. Ok lacing.

S - Strong citrus and hop flavors in the nose. Smells like a heavy duty IPA.

T - Citrus, pine, and hop flavors. Caramel and malt flavors are present but not as up front as the hop flavors. Well-balanced and delightful.

M - Smooth taste and light to medium bodied. Flavorful aftertaste and nice carbonation levels.

O - One of the most flavorful beers I've had with such a low abv. Levitation is an utterly delightful amber ale and a strong contender for my premier "go-to" beer. A perfect example that drinkability and low ABV don't require corn in a can. This beer is awesome!

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

I've made it my mission to work my way through the BA session beer list, and I've had fun doing so. The interesting thing, though, is that I wouldn't considering sessioning many of those beers. A world-class hefeweizen is top-notch, but I'm not going to drink 3 in a row. At a further extreme, as much as I like Cantillon, I think working through half a dozen bottles of geueze isn't the ideal way to spend a football game. Despite this experience, there are some gems on the list - Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter springs to mind, and now you can add Stone's Levitation Ale to that. The very fact that Stone do a low ABV beer surprises me, though it shouldn't come as a shock that this is chockful of hops, and that they've hit the ball out of the park.

Levitation pours a rich copper, crowned with a creamy beige head that alternately leaves streaks and rings of lace on the side of the glass. Even for an American amber it sets a new standard in appearance. While this impresses me, I'm blown away by the remarkably fresh nose. Grapefruit, pine and leafy green hops delight the senses, but there's a stunningly balanced character to them, courtesy of a sweet malty backbone. There's also something fruity and tropical about the aroma that has you moving the glass to your lips before you know it.

All the promise in that delightful aroma is fulfilled. A rich palate of hoppy goodness (predominantly grapefruit and pine) is expertly balanced by a big malt backbone. Caramel, fruits and light roasted notes prevent the hops from stealing the show, and create a capable symphony of flavour. A dry, leafy tea like bitterness mingles with grapefruit peel in the finish. A beer like this exposes the fallacy that lower alcohol beers can't pack in the flavour of bigger brews, and I's go so far as to say that this has most of its bigger brother beaten and cowering in the corner! In keeping with the balance displayed in the flavour, the body falls into line, providing a medium-light weight and refreshingly soft carbonation.

Everything about this screams 'SESSION'. Its a remarkable achievement, and probably my favourite Stone beer - Arrogant Bastards be damned!

4.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I am quickly becoming a fan of stone! First of all, I'm not sure how old the bottle was that I bought. If it still has "The Great American Beer Festival Gold Metal Winner 2007" on the neck then it's current. This is just one of those beautifully rounded malt and hops, push and pull, yen and yang if you will. I see me going back and buying more to age a little and try more!!

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

One of my favorite beers!

Appearance: Dark/Burnt Amber Ale w/ slit carbonation, about a finger of head. Beautiful in a pint or tulip glass.

Smell: Floral notes, malt, pine, and mango notes.

Taste: Smooth and refreshing, low abv, floral and mangos notes are still present.

All and all excellent beer!

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hard to believe this is a 4.4 abv beer. All aspects of this beer point to it beeing a slightly lighter version of Arrogant Bastard. Complex flavor, great mouthfeel, awesome aroma, and great drinkability. This is truly a fine choice for a session beer from one of my favorite brewers.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

i had the pleasure of trying this beer at the brewery and although it is their lowest alcohol content beer, i must say that it is one of the best amber ales that i've had in a long time, so much that i got a 2L growler to take back to michigan.

what really got me was the hint of saddle wood on the start but then it warmed over to a very nutty beer then a very smooth clean finish with a little bitterness to finish it up. wow, was the expression that comes to mind it was just a lot of moving and shaking for an amber.

well recommended especially for the hot summer months, this brew chilled would be a very refreshing treat during the day.

4.66/5  rDev +20.1%

A: OMG. So much foam, 3 fingers at least of off white thick foam. Foam sticking to the sides of the pint glass. The color is a dark golden and it is cloudy.

S: Sweet malts, bready. Makes my mouth water

T: I didn't get too much hops, just a hint, sweet and malty, like a complex brown ale. One of the most delicious beers I've ever tried. Slight sour notes on the finish.

M: Decent mouthfeel, we'll say medium.

D: Off the charts. This is the best session craft beer in history! Day in and day out, this is my goto beer. I absolutely love it, especially if I am just chillin' and not feeling adventurous or in the mood for a fancier, less drinkable brew.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a dark mahogany with a small head.

The smell is malty with citric hops cutting through. Very juicy aroma.

A big, bold flavor for such a modest ABV. Opens with creamy malts and a hint of smokiness that slowly gives way to rindy hops that linger for a good while after the swallow. Delicious, as expected from Stone.

So much flavor with such a low ABV--it looks like I've found a perfect session beer. Truth is, I'd been wanting to try this and I finally found a sixpack. I'd have rather picked up a single, but after tasting it, I don't mind having another five waiting around. In fact, I'm glad I do.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably my favorite amber ale. It's a shame it's being discontinued. Wonderful citrusy aroma and very nicely balanced. It has a much bigger body than many of the numerous new session ipas around these days. I guess it's designation as an amber sealed it's fate. I rate my beers by style, and I think this is as good as it gets in this category.

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

Oh man, what a great beer. I'm in the midst of a little six pack sampler so to speak and this was #2 after toasted lager. The sampling is going from light to dark, both in color and taste.
Anyway, knowing stone I thought this would throw off my palate for beers to come... WRONG. What a great little beer from an amazing brewery known for Big Beers.

Appearance is a little dark, copper, brown look.

Smell: Nice and hoppy yet the malt really shines through. You can smell the sweeter malt bill. What is this anyway, an amber? Very unique, but not overbearing like an IPA or hoppy Pale.

Taste: Go try one! Frickin delicious. Full of caramel malts and slightly more carbonated than usual for this style which only benefits the hops and boy do they shine. Very well balanced.

Drinkability: All night baby. This beer goes down easier than that nasty toasted lager. Though I'd stick to Busch for beirut, cause the ladies might just puke around 2 am.

Overall this is a beer that will find its way into my gut again sooner rather than later. I'm glad Stone put out something everyone will enjoy, even my motha.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

I am very impressed at how balanced this beer is.

A - Poured this beer into a glass, copper brown red ale. Held a nice head that hung in there till the end.

S - A hoppy aroma that carried a nice malt backbone.

T - The smell and taste are well matched with this beer. A great introduction to STONE

M - Great body for a Red, I'm still impressed with how smooth and clean this beer is.

D - I would consider this a nice year around option. Big enough flavor for winter and light enough alcohol for summer (4.4% ABV).

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

A beer that I'm amazed by everytime I drink it. It's delicious, yet affordable. This was actually the first beer I had when I turned 21.

12 oz. bottle poured into Stone Levitation tulip

A: Absolutely gorgeous, deep red hue with tremendous off-white head. Leaves layers of thick lacing on glass. A very inviting beer.

S: Smell is damn good, hops balanced well by malted grains and a hint of citrusy fruit. I'm refreshed just by the scent!

T: Spot on. Using only the basics; barley, hops, water and yeast, Stone manages to craft an incredibly tasty, affordable and refreshing ale. Hops up front and malted barley at the end with a fantastic aftertaste.

M/D: Nice medium body that goes down easy. Low ABV gives this one extraoridnary drinkablillty.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

I had this one tap a few nights ago thanks to Stone making a trip by Pazzo's pizza Pub and took some notes.

A. Somewhat dark with a huge and THICK head. The pitcher we got took a good hour to drink as we kind of bought in bulk (everyone had a pitcher) because of how busy they were. After the hour there was still a reasonable head on the pitcher. Simply amazing.

S. Sweet malt and a nice hoppy presence.

T. Do NOT drink this beer cold. As it warms the flavors greatly improve. You can pick up on a nice bit of dry hopping. It reminds me a bit of a rogue red ale that's been dry hopped. The malt has a slight bastard taste to it, but I'm told they aren't even remotely similar in how or what's in them. There is not another beer with this amount of flavor let alone hops at 4.4% ABV.

M. It feels a bit thicker than I guess I expected. It's got a good bit of carbonation and it's very smooth. Perhaps the only place they could do much to improve this beer.

D. It goes down easy as it should. In my mind this would be my go to beer for any social gathering if I could get it in kentucky. It's just amazing.

I've always been a huge fan of stone beer and I've desperately wanted to try this as they don't send it to kentucky or anywhere out east. After trying this I must say this beer NEEDS to make it out here. It may not be their best beer, but it is the craft drinkers light beer, only without that terrible stigma that the macros have created. Now just don't tell Greg I said it. He already chewed me out for it twice :)

best by 06/14/11

pours clear bright copper amber with a huge 2+ finger head that faded to a small film and left some spotted lacing

smells amazing - this must be dry hopped a ton - this has to have a ton of amarillo because if i was blind folded i would have thought this was 3f gumballhead

taste - there is no reason anyone should not give this a perfect 5 - the flavor that is packed into a beer with only 4.4% abv is amazing - tons of ruby red grapefruit flavor upfront and nice bitter ashy hops on the finish - i get that there is little malt but maybe that is why i love it

mouthfeel is light crisp - maybe a little thin but this is only 4.4%

overall - i am very impressed with this and i think i might have found my new go to session beer and beer to give to craft beer newbies to try

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Brewing Levitation Ale

Appearance: Dark red, small head with lots of good lacing.

Smell: Strong grapefruit, pear, and other fruits.

Taste: Floral hops, grapefruit, pear, spices.

Mouthfeel: medium-light with a large hoppiness.

This is a very good beer. The smell is not like most beer. This is one you shouldn't pass up.

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into a dfh snifter.

This beer pours darker than I expected for a low abv.. don't know why I was expecting it to be lighter, i just was. perfect head nice lacing. Smells like BAM hops.. wow.. This is about as hoppy on the nose as the DFH 120 that I had last night. Very dry hop aroma. Taste follows very well as it is a very dry bitter flavor that peels the enamel from ones teeth.. Feels a bit thin though.

Overall this is an awesome low abv beer but it's pricey for a sixer.. more than a stone IPA sixer.. so yeah.. doesn't quite compute really

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Apperance - An excellent dark brown, through which some line shines. Similar to a nice iced tea color

Smell- A crisp smell that gives you some freshness

Taste - Fantastic. Finishes with an uplifting freshness.

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation, excellently smooth. Feels great

Overall - A very solid beer. A fall beer if ever there was one.

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.