Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,838 | Reviews: 1,211

taste like a grass cliping tea....

1.41/5  rDev -63.5%

This beer pours a bubbly, clear, auburn color with thick, tan foam. The aroma is mainly pine with a hint of fruit followed by a very bitter, acidic flavor. It has a very thin almost watery mouthfeel. Stone Levitation Ale is not an easy beer to drink. NOT recommended!

Smells like bad cooked vegetables and maybe grass. Strongest smelling beer I have smelled so far.

Tastes initially like pin. Finishes very dry, bread-like, and bitter.

2.09/5  rDev -45.9%

Amber colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is floral hops.Taste is pine and grapefruit.This taste like a mix of a beer and a pine cleaner.This is not something I would recommend or purchase again.Ahhh nothing like the taste of PineSol early in the morning.

2.12/5  rDev -45.1%

From notes:

Pours a deep, dark ruby/chestnut brown color with dark golden orange hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy off white head. Decent retention slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves a spot or two of lacing on it's way.

Very bland aroma which is very surprising for a Stone beer. Slight earthy hops with hints of pine needle as well as some hazelnut and caramel malt.

Buteer earthy, piny hops up front that linger throughout without much balance into a tongue assaulting dry finish. The malt presence is minimal as best and their is an odd spicy character that makes this beer pretty bad in my opinion. One dimensional with a bone dry finish. I usually like everything Stone makes but this was a wreck.

2.38/5  rDev -38.3%

A- Very dark but clear beer, dark brown amber tones. large tanish head with sticky loose lacing. Large bubbles, and a spotted surface. Very dark and very clear, almost no visible activity whatsoever inside I see. Looks more than a little bit like juice.

S- Strong hops aromas, but blended with sweet barley malt sugars. Sweet grapefruit and pine, big nosed brew. Bright and uplifting scents. Lots of Stone trademark hops aromas.

T- Geez, is this for real? This brew is all over the damn place. Starts dry and grainy, moves to stale fruits from the hops and finishes slighty sour, dry and bitter. I ask again, is this for real? If so this is the absolute worst Amber beer I've ever had. The hops taste strange and overly metallic, the whole palette is dry and not what I expected at all from the nose. And the strange mishmash of bad, unlike tastes and contrasts. Blech!

I hated the taste of this, me and this brew just clash. Not good at all to me.

M- Light and a little billowy with the light but discernible carbonation. Make my cheeks puff slightly with carbonation, a bit much. Not burning on the palette, just a tad too lively. Still smooth and with great flow.

D- Very poor. I don't know, I hated the taste of this. I don't want to drink this again.

2.38/5  rDev -38.3%

A: Translucent, glowing amber with a modest tan head and good lacing.

S: Pine from the hops with some peppery spice, almost as if there were rye in this, though I know there isn't. Interesting hoppy aroma, especially for such a mild and low-ABV beer.

T/M: Kind of strange, honestly. The hop flavor is surprisingly big, with lots of bitter pine, but there's a weird, unpleasant aftertaste to it, a little soapy and somehow *off*. Hard to put my finger on just why this doesn't work, it might be that these big flavors are paired with a thin, watery mouthfeel that just doesn't support them. The result is very odd, and the hop flavors have a strange, unpalatable tinge to them.

O: This beer gets worse the more you get into it. It looks great, smells pretty good, tastes weird, and goes down like water. Very disappointing. I get that Stone was trying something different by making a light, low-ABV "session" brew loaded up with hops, but it just doesn't work that well, and it's certainly impossible to imagine drinking a lot of these in a session.

2.39/5  rDev -38.1%

The carbonation hurt my tongue. is that possible... I dont know... the carbonation hurt it hurts on the back of the throat. this is a painful beer from the same silly bastard clowns
looks good smells ok. the taste is way too spicy for how light mouthfeel and alchohol is has. stay away from this beer.

2.42/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Great looking beer! Pours a nice deep hazy copper with some sentiment present, and a nice frothy off white head. Significant lacing on the glass. Looks like a nice strong iced tea with a fluffy head.

S: Smell is light overall. A little bit of malt and a fair bit of sweetness - almost sugary. I get a smell like a weak, sweetened iced tea.

T: much stronger than the smell, with more hop presence than expected from the nose. Starts out mild and a bit malt-esque, then the hops hit, which linger a bit throughout the sip and into the finish. I get that sweetened tea in the finish as well - it reminds me a bit of sweet tea flavored vodka, but with a hop bite instead of an alcohol bite.

M: Thin given the deep color, overall I'd say on the heavy side of thin, if that makes sense.

O: Dissappointing, overall. I wanted to like this, given the look and low ABV, but it just doesn't deliver. Has that strange bitter hop/sweet taste I just can't get into. Not a drain pour, but I won't be buying or drinking this again soon. More interesting then a macro light lager, but at 3x the price and the same ABV, I'll take a Bud Light.

2.54/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured a chestnut hued amber with a rapidly disappearing head. Aroma is mostly hops, a bit raw like this beer could have used a bit more aging. Taste comes across initially as bitter hoppiness followed by the slight sweetness of the malt. This is quickly followed by an earthy flavor that I couldn't place, almost like smoked peat. Overall, it's a strange tasting brew and after having one I really wasn't interested in having another. Not one of Stone's best offerings imho.

2.54/5  rDev -34.2%

A clear, dark amber color with a good 3/4" head and great retention.
Smell is hops and resinous evergreens with the faintest hint of malt.
Taste is hops, grapefruit, faint malt, light spice (in aftertaste), lemon and some alcohol.
Effervescent on the tip of the tongue,dry finish, somewhat crisp, medium bodied. Sadly, I disagree with the GABF judges of 2007. It's good for an IPA but not up to the usual Stone Brewing standards by my accounting.

2.62/5  rDev -32.1%

The beer poured a pale amber with a small foamy white head.

The aroma of the beer was of Pacific NW hops with almost no malt in the nose.

The flavor of the beer had a strong burst of citrusy hops follwed by very light maltiness. The flavor and mouthfeel were relatively creamy.

Overall, this beer had a very thin flavor to me - too thin. I've nothing against low gravity, low alcohol beer, but this beer just fell short on nearly every level. In fact, it's flavor was kinda bizzarre. And while I've read Stone's description on the bottle, I still don't really know what the objective of this beer was if ya get my drift...

Stone deserves endless props for supercharging the craft beer industry these last few years, but I'm afraid they've fallen victim to their own devices. It seems they feel every beer they make, even the lighter ones need to be hopped to all hell. It's time for Stone to break their own mold.

2.66/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Very little head pours, slightly off-white in color. Brew stands foggy brown color with purple.

S - Smell is very bland and nothing really sticks out. Lots of basic malt. Decent caramel scent.

T - Very basic, nothing unique. Lots of malt, tons, and tons of malt. Where are the hops? Very watery, not complex.

M - An odd bitterness, without the presence of hops. Good carbonation.

O - Very underwhelming, not worth noting. Not sure I can recommend this one. Nothing sticks out.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

This is not a beer for me. Disappointed, as I am an avid Stone fan and this being my first opportunity with the Levitation Ale. While the prose was sweet as ever, the brew itself was exceedingly oppressive, strongly hopped -- I would hands down prefer Ruination to Levitation when it comes to high hops from Stone. A pleasingly aesthetic amber red in a glass, this one just didn't have it in flavor to warrant another buy from me anytime soon.

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

This beer is the worst in Stone's otherwise excellent lineup, which is unfortunate because those who try this beer first may get the wrong impression of this fine craft brewery. It looks right, and the smell is there with some piney, earthy notes, but this beer falls flat on its face when it comes to taste. Frankly, the taste is insipid at best. There's just nothing there except water and metal and lot's of carbonation. Maybe it's the low alcohol, but this beer has no character whatsoever, and is nothing to write home about.

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

Just didn't care for the flavor.

2.77/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a dark amber with a respectably dark mocha head, which is huge but without substance (thin and short-lived). A thin layer remains...very little lacing.

Smells powerful and hoppy. Mostly pine and citrus, with some apricot in the background.

The taste changes dramatically as it warms. At first it's all pine resin, which was a bit of a let down for me. Don't get me wrong, pine is great, but the taste just did not live up to the tantalizing smell at all. Also, it's VERY bitter...bordering on astringent. Unpleasant. As it warms it turns appley. Initially, it came as just a hint... a whisper of apple cider/hard apple cider. This quality continued to grow in power and mutate until all that remained was rotten apples mixed with a bad homebrew hard apple cider. Unfortunately, the bitter/astringent edge never left. Amateur Hour from top to bottom.

All in all, it's not terrible, but I will not be buying it again.

2.77/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager Pint Glass (I love these glasses).

A - Pours dark brown with a clear body, a hard pour produces maybe a half finger of light tan head. Also has great carbonation.

S - Big hop aroma especially on the bitterness but a little citrus notes too, slight roasted malts, dark bread, and a tad of molasses.

T - Just like the smell, the hops dominate the flavor, the hops definitely make it bitter and not in the most pleasant way because no other flavors really come through.

M - Very light bodied and watery, plus a lot of active carbonation.

D - Eh this just doesn't do it for me, has a lot of hop bitterness and that is about it, definitely one dimensional.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a light amber. Aroma is of caramel and hops. Taste reflects the smell, a touch of caramel/honey like malts with a strong backbone of hops. Mouthfeel is reasonably thick with a hoppy bite.

This is a run-of-the-mill amber ale that's way over-hopped. No complexity of flavors, the sweetness does not integrate at all with the hops which really just take over the beer. Not sure what Stone was trying to do here, or if they bothered to think about what they were doing, but this one does nothing for me.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Bottle courtesy of Naven: Poured a deep amber color ale with a small foamy head with limited retention. Aroma of light piney hops with some caramel malt. Taste is somewhat hoppy with some light caramel malt notes also noticeable. Body is fuller then average with some medium carbonation. I understand that the brewer wanted to have a session beer with limited alcohol but there also too much limited taste – not something I thought I was going to be saying about Stone someday.

2.82/5  rDev -26.9%

The style is one of my absolute favorites, and Stone has always been high quality for me. For these two reasons, I suspect that I had a bad bottle of this.

The beer poured nice with the recognizable deep red/copper color, but when I began to smell the beer and picked up only a harsh metal and not much else, I began to worry. Upon tasting it, I wasn't getting many flavors and the ones that I got were very muted.

I pictured the beer as a session beer, so I wasn't expecting any offensive tastes. The tastes that were there were a bland roasted flavor and a very faint, thin hop bitterness.

The beer is very new to the area so the bottle couldn't have been too old. I plan to revisit it on tap when I get the chance to see if I just had a bad bottle. It wasn't an awful or undrinkable beer, but it wasn't a pleasant experience and I walked away pretty disappointed.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Paid 1.99 for a 12 oz bottle. Absolutely lovely pour. Mahogany red, crystal clear, big foamy thick head. Smell is heavy hops wafting out as soon as the cap is cracked.

Taste is stale, papery, overly bitter. I think it's a bad bottle? Malt sweetness is there but just dominated by the off flavors. Very unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is kind of watery. Overall this was a disappointment after such a stellar opening.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into dimpled mug. Aroma of hops, grapefruit, pine, and a little bit of pale malt. Poured copper/deep orange in color with a small, tan head that lasted throughout. Clear. Slightly sparkling. Good lacing. Flavor is light to medium bitter and lightly sweet. Tastes of hops, pine, grapefruit, and pale malts. Medium body. Average texture. Average carbonation. Light to medium bitter, grapefruit, pine, and hop finish. It's lacking something. Disappointed of this beer out of all the Stone offerings.

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

Had on tap at D's in Monroeville.

Pours an attractive amber with honey-colored highlights & a foamy head, the kind that only comes from hoppy beers. The two-finger head drops to half a finger & leaves some lacing around the top.

Smell is very nice: pine, a sweet, bready quality, almost buttery, maybe some woody aspects. Very appetizing.

The taste is very hop-strong, but just when the hops fade & I expect a malty follow-through, I'm left with only a bitter taste & a kind of empty feeling. A dry finish. I keep expecting a little more malt to round it out, but none comes & I find it a little disappointing.

The mouthfeel is modest, on the thin side, but this is not a bad thing -- makes it "sessionable."

Man, given the good look & great smell I thought more flavor would be coming, but it was something of a let-down. This is a gauche way to put it, but it kind of gave me beer blue-balls: great build-up, but then ended with a fizzle where the good stuff should've been.

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

I'll start by saying that I am a fan of Stone. Not this Stone. Wonderfully striking in the glass. Nice dark brown that lets the light dance through, topped with a pale yellow head that outlasted the beer. Bravo. Then everything else. Smell was soft and hop forward with metal, citrus, and almost the smell of wet dirt (just before it becomes mud). Mouthfeel was ok, dry and lackluster. Taste was somewhat of a mouthfull. Blast of hops on the tongue mellowed slightly by caramel, stale bread, and citrus. Pretty bitter ending, not hops bitter ... (you ever spray stuff with "bitter yuck" you know to keep a dog or cat from biting it?) yeah .. weird bitter. Anyway ... ok beer. I wouldn't seek this one out.

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.