Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
4.19/5  rDev +8.8%

Served cold, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Disappointing head, not sure what to expect from a 4.4% beer from Stone (who knew they made such a sessionable beer?) Color, however, is perfect for an amber. This looks like a tamer version of Arrogant Bastard.

Smell: Wow, hops! Guess I should have expected this from Stone. Much hoppier smell than your average Amber (this is a good thing). A sweet malt backbone goes nicely with the hops.

Taste: Strong hop bitterness for an Amber (again, this is a good thing in my mind; it may not adhere fully to style but it's damn tasty). Perfect amount of malt. This would be a fantastic session beer, it hits a perfect medium between packing lots of flavor but still being drinkable and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly smooth, a nice carbonation. I've never tasted such a thick amber.

Overall: Initially I doubted Stone's ability to brew a sessionable beer that would live up to the standard of their other big brews. Plainly put, this was stupid. For those who are sticklers for drinkable, sessionable beers, this is one area where Stone delivers. One of my new favorite ambers, no question.

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

I'm not overly impressed with this beer, although I was excited to try it based on the high esteem Stone carries around here.

Pours a clear but dark amber with lots of tan head which clings nicely with lacing.

Smell citrus and hoppy...very hoppy.

Taste falls in line with the smell. A little citrus and a LOT of hops. Too much for me.

Robust feel.

Overall, I can't say I'll ever buy this brew again.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in Redlands.

A - Definitely the hi point of this beer. Rich amber color w wonderful 2 finger head.
S - Delicate sweet hints tinged with caramel and the slightest aromatic hops.
T - Tasty brew with a warm finish. Smooth and pleasing with lots of malt to enjoy. Hops and body are light. Good for summer.
M - Smooth, yet surprisingly somewhat syrup-y.
O - Very tasty beer. Definitely will drink again, but will search out a known fresh source. Recommended red.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Pours a reddish/amber, mostly clear with a slight haze.

S: Light aroma, hints of caramel at first and then a little pine comes through at the end.

T: Very balanced flavors throughout. Enough malt and caramel to balance out the hops. Finishes a little metallic but not too harsh and adds a crisp departure before setting down the glass.

M: Much lighter mouthfeel than most Stone offerings. A medium consistency with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall one of the most flavorful American Ambers that I have had in a while. Truly qualifies as a good/drinkable/flavorful session beer at 4.4%.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Always looking for a great session beer and this one fits the bill for me. Great bitter citrus aromas with just enough malt balance on the taste to keep the acidity in check. Great piney hop character with a nice citrusy finish. My only complaint on this one is the price, for $11.99 a six I would prefer Stone keep the etched bottles and give me a 4% abv beer at a more reasonable price.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a very deep clear red with a nice light sticky off white head, decent lacing and retention.

The smell is very citrusy, the amirillo really shines in the nose.

The flavor has a nice blend of toasty Englishy malts with enough hops to balance it out nicely, flavor rich for such a light beer.

The mouthfeel is light with a hint of hop resin and a bit of dryness in the finish.

Great Light Ale, easily one of the best sub 5% beers out there. I especially like the English Malt quality of this beer.

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A bit surprised to see the classification of this beer, which was ordered and served with no description to this ignorant customer who, upon consuming this, would have thought it to be an Imperial Red, an IPA or and Amer. PA.

A- Clear, dark brownish-amber body with a generous, durable creamy head.

Aroma - hoppy with what smelled like some marijuana buds (this one is from California, yes, but I'm sure that's not actually an ingredient).

Flavor - Remarkably hoppy flavor given the lack of bitterness or obvious off-setting sweetness. And again the weed.

M - crisp; ample carbonation.

O - I really enjoyed this one. Great strong taste of hops; long finish; and entirely pleasant to consume.

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Appears a dark amber color, almost bronze. Has a tan, effervescent head that has great stamina, demonstrating the appropriate protein levels in the brew. The head also leaves an alluring lacing after each sip.

The nose consists of caramel malts, as well as some pine aromas. There is a respective balance among the aromas, but nothing overwhelmingly impressive. The taste is also well balanced, with a sweet malt at the beginning of each quaff. The taste then moves to a nice grapefruit flavor, but it is only there for a fleeting moment. At the end of each indulgence there is an overwhelming pine flavor continuing into the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a low carbonation level. There is also an unwelcoming film left in your mouth after each sip. Overall, this is another respectable brew from Stone. I really didn't find anything overly impressive here, but it is definitely a sessionable brew.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

A: dark brown with a tan head. The lacing sticks for some time.

S: malt, burnt sugar, citrus, floral hops. Very complex smelling.

T: the taste is as complex as the smell. the malt and hops come out quite a bit, and there is some sweetness but it is well balanced with the bitter hops. Very well put together.

M: very smooth, with just enough hops to put in a crisp kick. Medium bodied, which felt much better than expected.

O: I had never had this beer, but friends raved about it. I finally had the chance and was not disappointed. The low ABV scared me off for some time, but I went to a bar where this was the only decent beer on the menu so I was forced into it. Glad that happened.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a light amber with nice, white head.

Smells of bread and biscuit malt.

Tastes like said malt smell and some hops in the finish that really complement the malts.

It is a bit thin, but understandable given the lower abv and sessionable nature of the beer.

This is a perfectly find and well crafted beer. I understand the idea behind the brew, I just don't find the flavor all that great.

A pleasant aroma of hops comes off the slightly khaki-colored head. Good retention and lacing stuck to the sides of the glass. The brew is clear, and of a copper-brown color.

Substantial hop flavor up front in the taste, almost on par with an IPA, with a strong malt presence and broad grain support. Well rounded and creamy in the mouth, with citrus and more hops in the finish.

An amber for hop heads.

12 oz bottle with Enjoy By date of 5-18-2011.

A: A dark copper hue with a light orange head, which retains somewhat well and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Wow, this is ridiculously hoppy for a 4.4% amber ale. Nice. But what else would one expect from Stone. Just what I was looking for. Some sweet malts behind the hops prepare me for what is ahead.

T: Very juicy hops at the front of the taste lead to delicious caramel malts at the back end, ultimately leading to a very delicious brew.

M: The feel is a bit thin compared to most ambers, but this is only 4.4%. Everything in this brew comes together quite nice.

O: Overall, a quality brew. 4's all across the board for this one. I appreciate what Stone did with this one. I can get my hop fix without being knocked on my ass and having no tastebuds left after three or four. Very approachable ABV. I will drink plenty of this over the coming summer months. Worth seeking out.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my tulip.

A – Nice reddish brown color on the pour. Huge creamy off white head. Great retention and sticky lacing.

S – Big hop smell. Citrus and pine as well. Yeasty with just a bit of sweetness.

T – Big bready malt taste. Has all the qualities of a Stone ale. Grapefruity citrus and pine follow right along. Has a nice bitterness at the end.

M – Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation. Lingering hop taste.

O – This is a nice solid brew and typical of Stone. I have found people love or hate Stone. Its very drinkable. Enjoy.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Poured into a snifter. It formed a ivory half-finger head that quickly dissipated to a thin collar. Lacing was thin but sticky. Color was reddish brown.

S - Piney hops, faint citrus, fresh cut hay and grains.

T - Bready malts up front that transitions into grassy and piney hop bitterness with notes of lemon and pepper. The bitterness carries in the finish.

M - Light bodied with light carbonation. Not much alcohol presence.

D - Great big flavor for a low ABV beer. This could make a nice session beer by virtue of the ABV, but may be to strong in flavor for some. I will definitely drink this again.

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass tankard.

A: Much darker than anticipated. I guess that I went into this blind and was expecting something like a lager or pale ale in terms of color. This is closer to an dark amber or IPA, almost as dark as a brown ale. Beautiful reddish-brown color, really. This took me by surprise. Nice 1-finger caramel-colored head with decent lacing. The color of the head had me expecting a somewhat chocolate taste, but...

S: Hops, hops, and more hops. Definitely something with high alpha acid. Grassy, earthy smell is upfront and pungent. Not my personal preference, but I can appreciate the style, and it this beer is done well. There are some slight lemon and pine scents present as well.

T: Again, not my cup of tea, but the hopheads out there will love this one. The taste is very similar to Arrogant Bastard Ale, although not quite as in-your-face. If you've had Abita Jockamo, it's almost exactly like that, in my opinion, although slightly less sweet. I'm pretty sure this beer could qualify as an IPA under BJCP guidelines, but what do I know?

D: Relatively low ABV, but big-time hops presence equals medium drinkability, in my opinion. This is definitely the sort of beer I like to drink if I'm only going to have one or two, but it is not a session beer for me. The hoppiness forces me to drink it slower than I'd like, even though it goes down smooth and tastes pretty damn good.

Overall: This is a little more hoppy than I'd like an amber/red ale to be. That being said, it is a very good beer. This tastes a whole lot like an IPA to me, although I'm used to drinking Abita Jockamo IPA, which I'm told isn't entirely representative of the style. This isn't my personal favorite, but I can definitely respect what Stone has done with this brew. It's definitely worth a try, and I will most likely buy this again.

4.36/5  rDev +13.2%

I’m always excited to try another Stone brew. This one, with “2007 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal Winner” emblazoned on the bottle, is no exception.

A: Pours beautifully into a glass. Nice oaky-red color with a white three-finger head. Some sediment is visible. This is how an ale is supposed to look.

S: Big hop presence in the nose (not uncommon for Stone). Slight hint of sweetness…raisins and a touch of vanilla.

T: What an incredibly smooth palate. The first things you notice are the hops – robust and flavorful. Then there’s the sweetness again, with raisin/grape at the fore. It’s a very satisfying transition: the hoppy bitterness is extinguished, you might say, by malt sweetness. It finishes with a bit of phenols, blending appropriately to provide a nice aftertaste.

M: Smooth micro-carbonation that gets even smoother as it warms. Creamy, yet not slimy. For an ale, it doesn’t get any better than this.

O: Honest, simple, impressive beer. I can definitely see this becoming one of my go-to’s. Powerful, smooth, and definitely worthy of that Gold Medal.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber color with less than one finger of white fluffy head.

The scent is of citrus, caramel malt, some piney hops.

The taste is of citrus, moderately bitter piney hops, some caramel malt, notes of yeast.

Medium body, crisp, smooth feel, moderate to high carbonation.

This was a decent amber, not really among the best, but overall an easy to drink beer.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle to Imperial Pint Glass

Wow I liked it so much I didn't realize I drank the whole bottle before I started my review.

Definitely a session beer for me. I could drink this all day.

Poured a dark amber to copper hue with a huge 4 finger off white to tan head. Great Lacing...the first one stayed until it was done but that took all of about 5 minutes.

Grapefruit, pine and hops directly to the nose and some malty goodness undertones.

The taste is more of the same: Citrusy with heavy grapefruit notes and a sharp note of pine and finishes with a touch of bitterness. No taste is overpowering or off. The overall flavor is smooth and even with the above highlights.

There is just the right amount of carbonation and it is a very light on the palate.

Very good American Amber. I will definitely be searching for this one again.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, hard to find fresh bottles usually, but got a good one at Julio's.

Pours slightly hazy amber-orange, off-white head is great looking. Retains at a finger and leaves good lacing.

Nice hop-forward scent of light fruit and pine with hints of the malt in the background.

Taste is great and beats out the smell, lots of flavor. Grapefruit, citrus, grassy, a bit earthy. Nicely balanced with a good dose of toasty and caramel malts. Mouthfeel is light but not thin and works well with the flavors.

Gotta love beers that pull off being this light without sacrificing flavor, I'd be happy with sessioning this one.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone Levitation Ale pours a big stiff head over a clear burnt orange brew. Carbonation is spritzy, and the nose is bright, spicy, resinous, marmelade hops. The hop-forward theme carries through to the flavor- hoppy hoppy hoppy and a little oily, almost, up front, with barley hulls and nutty notes off the back. Mouthfeel is light, with a long grassy hop aftertaste. Very much a session ale for hopheads- low in alcohol (4.4%ABV) but lots of flavor, though with those oily notes I prefer the nose, personally...

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

A really nice sessionable red ale packed with flavor and aromatics.

Amarillos are big on the nose and taste....Citrus (big grapefruit) and pine....I love this hop and it is displayed nicely here...the taste has a nice complementary malt back bone which features dark caramel and toffee. Has some similarities to Summit's Horizon Red in flavor.

The body is a bit thin and it finishes a bit watery but I compare this to more of an English Mild in body and view it as acceptable.

As a Red Ale I would take several before this...but I am not sure I've had a better lower ABV red ale....A 12 pack of this would work nicely at a summer BBQ when in the mood for some hops.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

I rarely stray from the ipa arena....but tried Levitation on my son's recommendation I was pleasantly surprised. Levitation is a mildly hoppy and smooth drinking ale. I'm impressed. Levitation would make a good session beer with it's low abv. Stone Brewing is yet to let me down.

4.9/5  rDev +27.3%

Appearance: Dark orange with a clean body

Head: Light tan head that has a nice lace

Smell: Rich malts with a subtle dark citric

Taste: Amarillo hops right off the bat that has High alpha acid count, like taking an Amarillo pellet right from the pack and eating it up. Yum! With some subtle caramel malt in the background

Weight: Medium body with a medium carbonation

Finish: Bitter citric with a bit of stickiness on the lips

4.62/5  rDev +20%

best by 06/14/11

pours clear bright copper amber with a huge 2+ finger head that faded to a small film and left some spotted lacing

smells amazing - this must be dry hopped a ton - this has to have a ton of amarillo because if i was blind folded i would have thought this was 3f gumballhead

taste - there is no reason anyone should not give this a perfect 5 - the flavor that is packed into a beer with only 4.4% abv is amazing - tons of ruby red grapefruit flavor upfront and nice bitter ashy hops on the finish - i get that there is little malt but maybe that is why i love it

mouthfeel is light crisp - maybe a little thin but this is only 4.4%

overall - i am very impressed with this and i think i might have found my new go to session beer and beer to give to craft beer newbies to try

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a glass, and it produced a 2 finger, fluffy off-white head. The color was light amber.
The smell was of hops, a little citrus, and caramel. The hops being dominate.
The taste was biscuit like, hop forward, and a light malt flavor. The mouth-feel was medium bodied, and medium carbonation. A little lingering hops, but not too bitter.
Easy drinking, and low alcohol will make this a good session beer for me.

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.