Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a translucent amber color, with a large off-white head that lingers. Leaves some nice lacing on the glass

S: Smells of piney and earthy hops, with a sweet malty background aroma.

T: Lots of piney and earthy hop flavor, with some bready malt behind it. Quite a bit of bitterness as well. Finishes quite dry and bitter. No real alcohol presence, and a lot of flavor for the low abv.

M: Rather light bodied, with quite a bit of carbonation, and a bit of an oily feeling left in the mouth.

D: Very flavorful for its abv, I could drink quite a few of these and enjoy it very much. Definitely a great session beer.

Overall, this is another good offering from stone. This is one of the most flavorful beers i have had at this low of an abv. I will definitely be seeking out a full 6 pack of these soon.

cdbooth219, Apr 21, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Slightly translucent dark amber color. Actually the color of the beer is real similar to the color of the actual bottle. Small amount of head, an off white almost woodish color, but stuck around a little while. Decent lacing.

S - Somewhat malty, also some mild hop aroma. Actually having kind of a hard time putting it into words. Piney sweet almost. Bready maybe.

T - Bready malts with certain woody characteristics and a real bitter finish. Piney hops seemed to be more apparent towards the end of the beer.

M - Med mouthfeel with a nice refreshing carbonation level.

D - I could probably go through a whole bunch of these, especially with the low ABV. Tasty enough to not get too boring, but not overwhelming either.

Greenst82, Apr 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours out a hazy amber brew with smallish head. head dissipates quickly. Mild carbonation. Smells very nice ,mostly earthy type hops. Mildly hoppy beer nicely rounded. Very slight tartness that works well. Mouthfeel is blah {in all fairness i dont know how old this beer is, not dated}.A very drinkable beer good just about anytime.

tweeder263, Apr 21, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Reviewed from a pint fresh from the brewery at the Stone World Bistro.

A - Poured a ruby color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of piney hops with a solid bready malt backing

T - Follows the nose nice piney hops that are slightly balanced out by the malt

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I for one like big beers and refers to 5.5% abv beers as session beers because most under that lack flavor in my experience however this one kicks some ass its one of those beers that if I had to choose five beers to drink for the rest of my life it would be one definitely worth trying

armock, Apr 17, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured a nice dark molasses ruby color. Thick foam that could be eaten with a spoon leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

Smells of strong hops and brown sugar. What jumps out is the intensity of the smell. Not expecting that.

Are you sure this is under 5%? There is just WAY too much flavor for that little alcohol. Tastes like Arrogant Bastard's little brother. But the little brother is still a badass MMA fighter just in a lighter division. Aggressive hop profile here and me likey!!

Mouthfeel slacks off a little. A teeny bit too watery but that just makes it all the easier to drink.

I love this beer. Just what I'm after. Lots of flavor and something I can have more than 2 of and not need a nap. More like this please.

livewire78, Apr 16, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Overall an average beer for Stone, the IPA is by far a lot better than this one

A: copper-red in color, with a one finger head lasting the entire way. nice lacing around the head and retained throughout.

S: nothing really jumps out at me, then again I am a beginner to the art of beer tasting.

T: more hops than malt, not as balanced as other amber ales. not a strong fruit taste at all. I think the hops over power this one a bit too much

M: good flavor on the palette, again not too strong but the hops are definitely evident in this one. not very smooth for an amber ale.

D: could definitely drink more of these but overall I am somewhat disappointed in Stone on this one.

fattire513, Apr 14, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

So I bought a 6pack when Stone hit Chicago, had one of these and didn't think much of it. Tonight I finally sat down to review it and got distracted for 2 hours answering email-- and in that time I had 3 of these. I'm now officially reviewing it (no distractions):

I poured this into my standard pint glass and was actually impressed immediately with the copper color and beige head. It looked deep and clear with some ruby red highlights when held to the light. The color reminds me of the hair color of a girl I dated-- but she ALWAYS called her hair "auburn" and got really pissed if anyone used any other word. The lacing has been leaving thick rings around my glass all night. It really looks spectacular.

The smell of big malts is sweet and thick. It isn't fresh-baked bread, but more of a buttered toast. Then some piney hops cut in and smack you in the face. There is a slight citrus vibe hiding somewhere in here as well.

Taste is quite pleasant. Sweet at first, then a little bitter. Again, it reminds me of that girl I dated... The hops are more noticeable than in other ambers I've had, but it actually works well, because I am in fact a hophead. This isn't the most balanced beer, but I don't really think that is what Stone goes for too often-- and I can respect that. Nice bubbles on this medium body red (again it reminds me of the ex!)... It feels creamy and smooth on the finish, not gritty or chewy, but certainly not a water! The hop oils coat my teeth and remind me a little of smoking a joint.

All in all-- This is highly drinkable. Low ABV makes it sessionable enough (considering I'm finishing my 4th one right now), and the flavor is plenty good. I might buy more of this if only to hand to my Fat Tire drinking buds and hear their opinions.

AleWatcher, Apr 14, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter for this review.

Color: Deep red hue, almost a dark looking ale unless held to the light. Looks great in the glass.

Smell: Definitely a potent malt front. Slight piny hops characteristics finish off the aroma. Im not very experienced with this type of beer, so my comparisons might not be great, but I get unripened somewhat tart raspberries, maybe some hints at apricot and then of course the pine from the hops.

Taste: Again I get a fruity, smooth tasting beer. The malt is definitely the majority of this beers character but there is a nice hoppy backbone. Hops are more pronounced as the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Lush and invigorating, the flavors blend well to excite a wide range of taste buds. Thick without being chewy or overwhelming.

Drinkability: Very nice to sip on, could easily drink a number of these.

Adoxander, Apr 12, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: Deep, dark, red. Virtually no head and very little lacing.

Aroma: A rich malt with strong spice background.

Taste echoes aroma: Strong malt with spicey, piney, hop background. Slightly bitter taste lingers a bit longer than most red ales.

Mouthfeel is good. Smooth and fairly heavy. Perhaps slightly over-carbonated.

Drinkibility is okay but this is a rather rich beer with an ABV on the low side. I can have a few at this sitting but later in the night will want to switch to something a bit less heavy.

Overall, a decent ale.

Kitt, Apr 11, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stone Levitation, the misunderstood baby brother of the Stone family. Pours a ruby amber with a creamy red-hued tan head with very good retention and lacing. Aroma is tea-like with a floral nose, grapefruit, toast, and caramel. Tastes of geranium, grapefruit, earth, pine. Finish has more flora, and a dry cookie taste. Medium with a prickly carbonation. I drank this pint well, and will do more in the future. Levitation is a fine, fine beer.

vacax, Apr 10, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

bottle says 2007 Gold Medal Winner in American Red / Amber Beer Category. only once I was finished did I notice a faint "Enjoy by 03 03 10".

A - deep amber, a little hazy. initial head diapates to a thin whispy covering that remains thoughout. slight lacing.

S - floral hops, not much else

T - very hop forward, a tiny bit of malt. clean aftertaste

M - mid to high carbonation. slick

D - could be more balanced. tasting blind I would call it an IPA, not an amber ale. similar to arrogant bastard.

jmdrpi, Apr 10, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

appearance: nice lacing and reddish-amber color

smell: good whif of citrusy aromas

taste: easy drinking ipa for strength in hop flavor. citrus and pine flavors. Like an IPA light

mouthfeel: light-medum bodied, easy drinkingfor the power of flavor.

drinkability: Been really excited to try this. Whay a great idea. a session beer for real beer lovers have when they don't want to get buzzed. Because I have to work at 6am tomorrow. perfect!

CampusCrew, Apr 09, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

After having this a few times on tap at various spots, I'm finally getting down to rating it (based on a bottle I picked up a couple of weeks ago). Levitation pours a hazy red, with a big, fluffy eggshell head. There are a few spots of lace, here and there, that get left on the glass; the head subsides to a thin layer / ring of creaminess. Smell is dominated by hops: grassy, herbal and hemp are big. Taste has some light caramel malt notes (very light) - the herbal hop character takes center stage. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but what would you expect from a 4.4% brew? Carbonation is a bit high, but seems fitting. Based on the abv, drinkability is up there... The fact that it's a good beer helps, too.

jpro, Apr 08, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26.2%

HURRAAAYY!!!! I no longer have to go to Indiana to get Stone's beers!

What a grand copper and ruby head. This is the gold standard of color and not to mention head and foam for ths style of beer. What an awesome beige and yellow head and thick film of foam along with the fantastic bubbling.

Oily hop resin aroma that really muddies the toasted barley grains. This is a pretty overwhelming hop aroma.

The taste starts very oily and hoppy upfront and through to almost the finish. Just a few caramel and crystal malts and thats about it. This amber ale's flavos and paate is dominated by by oily, resiny tasting and feeling hops.

This would not be a session ale for me.

scruffwhor, Apr 06, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Body is a ruddy brown/ dark cherry color. Head is beige and rocky and has good stability. Pretty clear. I would guess a decent amount of black malt (roast, choc., patent, etc.), at least a decent amount for the style. Might I predict some roast in the flavor...?

Nice citrusy hop aroma, either one of the 'C's or Amarillo, but definitely that good american piney, citrus, and grass aroma. A little bit of sweet malt (caramel? crystal?) and it seems balanced in the nose.

I seconding Amarillo because this has that same grassy hop taste as gumball head, though not as vegetal. I do get some roast and while it is pleasant up front it is a bit astringent when mixed with the bitterness. I could have enjoyed this one with slightly less roast, but it does balance the big hoppiness and that is what separates the hop flavor in this brew from that of gumball head, its unique malt - hop balance.

Actually kind of thin for me. I know that the abv is low, but there are things you can do without adding too much, if any, flavor. Carbonation is good, but the bitterness is too dry for my taste.

A great beer. I'm in the CHI and we just got some Stone distribution, like, this week, so I'm pretty psyched about this while trying to review objectively. A little less roast, a little more body, but hey, I'm not complaining.

tapman, Apr 06, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoy by date - 6/01/10.

A-Pours a ruddy amber with two finger head. This beer leaves really nice lacing.

S- Pine and grapefruit with a spicy, woody character and some caramel malt.

T-Piny and spicy notes upfront with a nice balanced caramel middle and a dry, bitter grapefruit finish.

M-Medium bodied with very subdued carbonation. I really like how this one feels.

D-I have a really hard time drinking these slowly. Really nice, flavorful, and thirst-quenching. Stone came to Chicago just in time for summer, and I have a feeling this will be a go to beer for me in the upcoming warmer months.

samie85, Apr 05, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

355ml bottle at Bar Volo in Toronto, ON. Pours a burgundy red with dark orange hues, two fingers of cream coloured, off-white head and speckles of lacing on the flute glass. Smell and taste are strong citrus, tangerine and clementine, doughy yeast, pink grapefruit, burnt caramel, light nuttiness, toast, and a bold hop bitterness to finish. So much flavour for such a light beer! Very impressive. Mouthfeel is medium, lush and slick, spicy hop punch mid-body, passing dryness with a mild, citric aftertaste. The ideal session beer. If this were available in Ontario stores, it would never leave my fridge.

cratez, Apr 05, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a deep copper color with a light tan head, which is a good 2 fingers and rather resilient.

Smell is good, not wonderful. Theres a slight bit of citrus in the nose, along with a somewhat metallic tinge. Faint malts and hops in the background.

Taste is a little more predominant than the smell. Slightly citrus and woodsy, less on the metallic tinge, but hop presence was a bit lacking than I would have liked to see...if in fact this is a red. I find the "amber/red" classification to be a bit conflicting, as I see the ambers as more malty and sweet, and the reds with a more defining hop character. Oxymoronish I suppose. Oh well, I see the hop base more in this brew, so I think the red is more fitting.

Lower medium body, as it should. No complaints, from me.

I have to assume this is the lowest ABV beer stone makes, so theres major drinkability to it. It's tasty too, so that helps.

EgadBananas, Apr 04, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A - A real redish brow pout with a very nice off-white head that stuck around for a bit.

S - Really big hop aroma, citrusy grapefruit, and a little piney. Some caramel malts underneath.

T - Sweetness comes from the malts, I get hit with bitter pine and grapefruit right off the bad. There was a huge bitter bite that stung on the end of this at first. Nice hop profile that fades a bit as you drink it.

M - Little too thin, but pretty good, nice carbonation works well.

D - Somewhat harder to drink than expected for something with such low ABV. Maybe it's just the stronger than expected flavors.

AgentZero, Apr 03, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass that is similar to an Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Fairly dark amber with decent sized head and some lacing.

Smell: Huge grapefruit aroma with traces of spice and malt.

Taste: Mostly grapefruit hops (and some pine) and tea-like and caramel malts. Long, lingering bitter and tart finish.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, relatively light body. Quite firm and very dry, similar to an English Bitter.

Drinkability: Huge flavor for such a low abv ale. Not really what I would think of as an Amber Ale - seems more like a very bitter, American hop version of an English Bitter. Very tasty and sessionable due to the low alcohol, but the bitterness and tartness is off-putting for the light body and hampers drinkability.

bsp77, Apr 03, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A nice red in color with a big foamy off-white head.

It has that trademark Stone hop aroma, though a bit lighter than, say, Arrogant Bastard.

The taste is lighter, but far from weak. Nice notes of bread and toast mix with citrus hop flavors and a big bitterness.

The body is also light, but not watery.

This is one of the weakest (in terms of alcohol) beers I've had since my trip to Salt Lake City. But it's a good one.

This is a session beer for hopheads.

Shaw, Mar 31, 2010

A - Dark amber pour. Thin to medium tan head that had medium staying power.

S - Beautiful American hop aroma: very citrusy with undertones of caramel sweetness.

T - Taste is very pleasant and predictable for a Stone ale. Sweet malts are rather subdued though. Not as aggressive as most of their other offerings, although I will say that the hops profile is very pronounced.

M - Medium carbonation with a rather watery texture. I am wondering how old this beer is. I bought it as a single bottle, so I don't know the brew date. But it tastes a little flat. Oh well, I will try another one in the near future and see how it goes.

D - It is very drinkable, but in the same way that a lot of other mediocre beers are: you can drink a lot before tiring. A good but not great beer.

chickenflea, Mar 29, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a translucent reddish copper with a 1-finger off-white head. Moderate lacing.

The smell is strong of piney and grapefruity hops with hints of spices, coffee, and tobacco. The taste is bitter pine and grapefruit hops with just a little wood and tobacco. Mouthfeel is carbonated, crisp & kind of deadens the mouth, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Very sessionable. The hops are quite strong. This reminds me of a DIPA in taste and smell.

theghost3, Mar 27, 2010

I was surprised to see Stone make a smaller session beer, especially after being reared on Arrogant Bastard and Ruination in my early days of craft. But I still felt compelled to see if they could succeed on this one, to see if they truly were a well rounded brewery. Here's my take:

A- pours a clear dark copper hue with great lace and retention from it's off-white head

S- hoppy and spiced up front joined by caramel malt

T- hoppy yet balanced, this could topple many reds twice it's size with juicy pine and citrus notes all throughout

M- coats your tongue and throat wonderfully, holding in all the flavor

D- another winner from Stone! one of the best light beers I've ever tried

BDJake, Mar 26, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Amber in the finest since of the word with a perfect 1 finger head and some of the best lacing I've seen all the way down the pint glass. This beer was crystal clear and looked perfect!

S: Big hop aroma of the earthy, woodsy, piney variety. there is a nice floral complexity as well. Deep in the background there is a malty, yeasty bread character and a subtle sweetness

T: THe hops are at the forefront with a character spot on with the aroma, there is more malt in the flavor than the aroma however. here you get a good caramel character coming through.

M: good "meaty" body, almost chewy at some points. pleasantly surprising as it combined with a dry finish

D: Could have had this one all night. I found this beer to be one of the more enjoyable beers I've had, not technically flawless but it was just fantastic. The dry finish with the wonderful ballance of hops and malt allows you to drink several.

LyonsHead, Mar 25, 2010
Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.