Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +17.4%

A: POURS A DARK COPPER / THE HEAD REMAINED TILL THE BEER WAS ALMOST GONE

S: VERY MATLY ON THE FRONT / HOPS ON THE BACK

T: CARAMEL ON THE FRONT / FINISHED WITH HOPS & CITRUS / A BIT OF BITTERNESS LEFT ON THE PALATE

M: VERY SMOOTH / WELL MATCHED CARB

D: VERY DRINKABLE

SERVING TYPE: BOTTLE

michaelpcarney, Jun 12, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Carmelly and red with darkish yellow tones around the thinner areas of the glass. Nice head, but I drank it too fast to keep track of how big it was.

S - A strong flowery smell I expect with a lot of hops. Smells pretty pleasant, a sign of things to come.

T - Solid. I would just leave it at that, but for the sake of the review - The hops don't really kick in for me until most of it has made its way down my throat. Something else lingers on my tongue in the meantime, a lot of bold character in the form of some kind of malted grains. It's awesome. The hops, strong, but balanced with the rest of the drink.

M - Usually for me, I'd say the fizz lets me down in most beers, but this one seems to have it right. I want to describe it more, but it's all gone.

D - This could be an every day beer for me. It would be spectacular if I had a keg lying around the house for my own use. It's so boss.

Echosolace, Jun 12, 2010

Stone was, until its invasion into the Chicago market, a brewer I had heard about from West Coast friends and never tasted. I'm glad it came, though only a couple of their beers have been exceptional to my tastes. Most of them have been good, and certainly their amber is one of those.

A: Looking good. This has a nice burnt ruby color, nice clarity, and a respectably frothy head two fingers tall. The head doesn't stick around, but it's got the nice layer of foam. It's nice to look at.

S: All hops and I'm thinking cascade. A Northwest ale, not a doubt. there. That's all I have for the smell.

T: Yes, this is yummy. The hops are prominent, but I taste amber malts. Toasty malts, plenty of bready character, crystal malt.

M: Another good one. This manages to be crisp and have a creamy end.

D: Drinkability is its strong suit. Low alcohol, crisp, quenching .... ahhh, but wait, it still tastes like a really good ale. Drinkability is what Levitation has to teach the amber ales.

My impression is that it's good, but I won't hand over its medals. I'll order it again. The best I had, and if you can find it, it's very well worth ordering, is the Epic '08. I'll review it soon.

philosobeer, Jun 09, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance - Beautiful deep amber color. I got very little head and no lacing. I do not know if it was the bottle or the pour.

Taste - Hops with a good malty back to it. A very balanced flavor. Has a nice dry finish.

Smell - Hoppy, fruity, light grain with some malt.

Mouthfeel - Nice body for the type of beer. Just a nice smooth feel.

Drinkability - A nice beer all around.

SAtaMi, Jun 05, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

I am very impressed at how balanced this beer is.

A - Poured this beer into a glass, copper brown red ale. Held a nice head that hung in there till the end.

S - A hoppy aroma that carried a nice malt backbone.

T - The smell and taste are well matched with this beer. A great introduction to STONE

M - Great body for a Red, I'm still impressed with how smooth and clean this beer is.

D - I would consider this a nice year around option. Big enough flavor for winter and light enough alcohol for summer (4.4% ABV).

KCHops, Jun 04, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color with a nice two finger head. The head remains throughout the pint with impressive lacing down the side.

S: A malty smell upfront with a hop smell on the backend, which isn't surprising from a Stone offering. I also get pear in there which was a surprise.

T: This beer has a caramel flavor and then some hops kick in to give it a subdued citrus/hop finish that leaves a bitterness on your tongue.

M/D: This beer is pretty thick with nice carbonation and a lot of small bubbles. It is a really nice beer for a such a low abv, and is a little brother to some of the other Stone beers. It is a great choice when you need a beer to unwind with.

mdaschaf, Jun 04, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7%

A - Poured this beer into a glass and admired the dark, rich color. Somewhat red/brownish, smooth dark tint. The head was thick and held up for quite some time.

S - A rather fruity smell without overpowering the grains.

T - The smell and taste are well matched with this beer. A great first beer (yes, this was my first beer, and I'm quite happy with it!)

M - Not too thin, not too course. Smooth.

D - I wanted to keep drinking it, but held off to let the experience linger. How does that sound for drinkability?

TheKtulu7, Jun 03, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

First time trying this beer, and I was impressed from the start. Great pour, nice foam, great dark red color, looks like its going to be excellent. Smells good, faint but good.

This is reminding me of something I've had, but much better. I can't put my finger on what it is though that is familiar about it.

Crisp tasting ale, has a fruity quality to it, piney, sticky as well, but is also smooth and refreshing at the same time. Goes down very easy. Taste is excellent, tastes light and full bodied at the same time, seems to have hit the perfect combination of flavors for me. It is intense and bold, but not at the same time. This could be my favorite beer I've had from Stone so far. And that is saying alot. Has a nice finish as well with a slight amount of bitterness coming through. Good from start to finish, I really like it. I will definitely get this again.

My only thing I would change is I would make the taste a little stronger, maybe more malt, but that is being picky.

Pittsburgh, Jun 03, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

A- Very dark but clear beer, dark brown amber tones. large tanish head with sticky loose lacing. Large bubbles, and a spotted surface. Very dark and very clear, almost no visible activity whatsoever inside I see. Looks more than a little bit like juice.

S- Strong hops aromas, but blended with sweet barley malt sugars. Sweet grapefruit and pine, big nosed brew. Bright and uplifting scents. Lots of Stone trademark hops aromas.

T- Geez, is this for real? This brew is all over the damn place. Starts dry and grainy, moves to stale fruits from the hops and finishes slighty sour, dry and bitter. I ask again, is this for real? If so this is the absolute worst Amber beer I've ever had. The hops taste strange and overly metallic, the whole palette is dry and not what I expected at all from the nose. And the strange mishmash of bad, unlike tastes and contrasts. Blech!

I hated the taste of this, me and this brew just clash. Not good at all to me.

M- Light and a little billowy with the light but discernible carbonation. Make my cheeks puff slightly with carbonation, a bit much. Not burning on the palette, just a tad too lively. Still smooth and with great flow.

D- Very poor. I don't know, I hated the taste of this. I don't want to drink this again.

SamN, Jun 03, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured a very slightly cloudy brown color, with a very fine micro-suspension. Two finger foamy light khaki head with very good retention. Not much visible carbonation. Not much lacing.

Smell: Strong dark fruit hops, grapefruit, and hints of pine. Brown sugar like malty sweetness, but not overly strong.

Taste: Dark fruit hops and grapefruit citrus to start out, with some malts peeking in at the end. Moderate sweetness and a long linger of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with very poor carbonation and no real bite. The bottle was shaken slightly at purchase, so that could be the reason.

Drinkability: Definitely one of the more hoppy amber ales, even bordering on IPA territory for some of the flavors. A little bit bitter, and not as smooth as I was looking for, but very good. Could use a little more malts for balance.

Buy Again? Yes.

jonziefle, Jun 03, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured bottle into pint glass. Good finger and a half of off white head that lasted the duration, with plenty of lacing. Great deep reddish brown colour. Faintly sweet aroma with some floral hops and little else. Smooth drinking,medium bodied with some sweetness, the aforementioned floral hoppiness and then some bitterness in the finish. Enjoyed this very drinkable beer and would certainly drink again as a session ale. Think this would be quite versatile with food, since it's not a total tastebud-assault.

jonnypopgun, Jun 01, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Ah, Stone. Can you say "subtle?" Can you say "balance?" No, you can't. And as much as I avoid your beers because these two words don't appear to be in your vocabulary, I was tempted to try Levitation because I've read that its low ABV hides incredible taste and balance. Having had one, I can say that the taste is definitely there, but not the balance. I am reminded of very young children who find that they like the color pink, so EVERYTHING IS PINK. Except here, as in all Stone brews, EVERYTHING IS HOPS. There is no subtlety, either in the aroma or the taste. It's all pine resin and celery. There's malt coloring, there some malt aroma, but I am suspicious that it's all artificial. I mean... there's no malt in a Stone brew, is there? Really? Hmm.

And yet I enjoyed this beer much more than I expected. It's refreshing, it's bitingly fizzy and the low alcohol content makes it a bonus at dinnertime. I will happily drink the six-pack I dragged home, but I probably won't buy another one. Worth a try, but keep your expectations in line with the brewery.

gfreed, May 31, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

I thought I had tried Levitation. Apparently, I always seem to pass it up, in part because if I'm going to grab a brew from Stone, it's usually Ruination, Arrogant Bastard, or the RIS. Going for something a little less intense this time around:

A: Dark, yet clear ruby red in color, with a less than average head that leaves a bit of lacing. Yep, this is your basic looking amber ale.

S: Quite piney and hoppy, but that's what i expect from Stone, for the most part. Not nearly as intense as say Ruination, but still grapefruit and pine galore in the aroma.

T: Scent is deceiving in that it doesn't taste nearly as hoppy as it smells. Hops, lemons, pine, citrus grapefruit and a hint or two of caramel and malt are all in there. Pretty balanced brew, with a surprisingly abrupt finish with virtually no hops lingering finish.

M: This one is all about balance. But so are most of Stone's brews, with the exception of a few. (Ruination, Old Guardian - hopped focus beers) Otherwise, this one is pretty well carbonated, with a prickly hops sensation during each sip, but it does not linger too long, and the finish is dry.

D: This is a true session beer. Easy to drink, light but with a well balanced flavor. This is the kind of beer you should find in most traditional bars, as opposed to BMC. But were a long way from those large, macro conglomerates taking a back seat to any beers that are actually good, since the majority of beer drinkers drink beer for the alcohol, not the taste. Too bad. Nonetheless, this is a solid beer.

irishking1977, May 29, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

Clear, dark amber color and a perfect 1" high head, slow dissss.

Herbal and soft white pepper aroma first, mild strawberries, sweet pineapple, green grapes, rhubarb pie. classic fruity hoppy nose from stone.

A mild earthy bite, dry wheat, watery, thin in the middle with mellow fruity hoppy overall with very little else happening.

I'm down with mellow, mild's and lighter brews but this one is all over the palce with no direction home. oh well.

GratefulBeerGuy, May 25, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Had a 3 finger light frothy head that ate at itself from the inside as it lessened. Head lasted 5-10 minutes Large streams of carbonation rose from the bottom. Color was a dark orangey amber with a slight haze to it. Aroma was hoppy, small amount of brown sugar sweet. Also hints of a molasses type aroma. Flavor was hoppy spicy with a touch of vanilla. Felt solid in the mouth, coated a bit to well, was almost to sticky. Very pleasant to drink, well balanced with a mellow finish.

mountdew1, May 24, 2010

A-A nice amber color with a white head that lasts a good while and leaves a nice layer of foam.

S-Toffee, some caramel, and you can tell there is going to be a nice balance between hops and malts.

T-Like the nose its balanced between hops and malts. There are some caramel and toffee flavors. It was surprisingly unsweet tea like.

M-Pretty thick and syrupy.

D-Very drinkable, I was expecting it to be much more hoppy, but the balance and low abv. make this a session beer all the way.

Overall, another good offering from Stone. To be honest it seemed like a toned down Arrogant Bastard in some ways. I would drink it again on tap.

thegodfather2701, May 24, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

A: poured a nice syrup brown with good retention and a finger head that had decent sticky lacing.

S: the first whiff was a spicy hoppy aroma with malt character and a little citrus fruit presence too.

T: spice, oak, and bitter hops hit first with good malt balance and a nice spicy bitter finish.

M: medium body with little carbonation and a pleasent spicey bitter finish.

D: Very intresting interpretation of an amber ale with a spicey twist. Drank well an was really enjoying this offering from stone.

Gobzilla, May 23, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Levitation tulip glass. Bottle has a freshness date- enjoy by 7/25/10

A: Pours a nice deep clear crimson with a nice 2 finger head. As the head settles, it leaves chunks of foam on the sides of the glass, head retains itself well.

S: huge aromatic hops- pine, resin, lemon take center stage, some subtle malt character in the background with notes of caramel. The hops are fresh and dank.

T: the flavor is surprisingly malty... what happened to all of those hops?! Very mild and subtle with some caramel and bread notes, the pine comes through at the end, but not nearly as prominent as the nose suggests- a slight let down (not the overall taste, but the fact that the hops aren't as prevalent as I would think from the smell), but still a very well crafted amber ale.

MF: thin, refreshing, medium to low carbonation for the style which I like

D: this is a great session beer. Loads of flavor and one hell of a hoppy nose. As I said before, the only down side is that the flavor doesn't deliver the same hop punch as the nose.

homebrew311, May 20, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful dark amber with a one finger offwhite head. Color would best be described as maple syrup...it looks amazing

S- Smells a lot like an IPA...very hoppy and flavorful. It smells almost exactly like Nugget Nectar...not that thats a bad thing at all.

T- Theres a slight bitterness to it, and an inherent...mildness, I guess you could say. The hops really aren't as prevalent as in other ambers I've tried. I'm getting hops and pine, but they don't come through nearly as strong as they should...disappointing.

M- Its just...kinda there, I guess you could say. Not too heavy...maybe on the lighter side of things, actually. No carbonation issues. Rather unspectacular, but not a bad thing.

D- Its pretty drinkable...very low ABV, but on the same token, the flavors aren't as potent as I'd like either. There are other ambers I'd go with being from the east coast, but if you're out west, I guess this would be a decent option for the style.

bigfnjoe, May 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Damn fine product! Poured a small to medium sized light copper tan frothy head that mostly faded and some lace. Color is a clear copper amber. Aroma is hop caramel yeast caramel old leather roasty. Flavor is like aroma and quite tasty. Not overly hop fruity thank god. Good body and carbonation. Great finish that's like flavor and of medium length. Most definitely a session beer.

drpimento, May 16, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a Duvel Tulip glass.

Incredible head. Stays around for a while like Meringue. Light brown color head. It was a 12oz bottle and it took 3 pours to fit into my chalice with this huge head.

Nose is classic Stone yeast with a great floral hop kick. The color is a spectacular dark amber/ruby. Stone definitely knows how to make a beer look bad ass.

Overalll, It was damn good. I thought it was almost an AB light with some added pine and less citrus, and no hop double kick to the palate, which works well. Carbonation was right and mouth feel too. Would be happy to drink again.

I felt this was a very good beer from Stone. Again.

elvisnj, May 16, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Very dark amber but I didn't get much of a head out of this one. Lacing is also pretty thin.

S: Nice piney, grassey flowery hops. Has a bit of an underlying sweetness but still surprised at the hops.

T: Has a pilsner quality with a twist of hops. Not really much of an aftertaste. Reminds me of a toned down Black IPA actually. Not bad but not overly impressive either.

M: Carbonation is a bit aggressive. Could be toned down a bit.

D: Drinkability is pretty good. Would make a great lawnmower beer.

generalnotsew, May 10, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured in a DFH Signature Snifter Glass

Dark, clear- amber red ale. Thick, two finger foamy head which took a while to dissipate. NICE lacing as the head faded. The first whiff was unmistakable- piney hops! The taste was clearly a smooth but bitter hoppy IPA, and even though it pours and looks like a double it tastes between a regular and a double, without the alchohol kick of a double. The mouthfeel was definately ligther, with only a slight hint of carbonation.

This is a very drinkable IPA for the IPA lover, as it isn't overboard on the ABV. Dare I say- "Arrogant Bastard Light"??

CraftAleRookie, May 09, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

poured into a belgian style stemmed glass

appearance - pours an opaque red/amber/brown, with a lightly tan head that recedes fairly quickly, prominent lacing

smell - caramel and crystal malts, citrus hops

taste - malts up front with citrus hops finishing out the profile, a nice tinge on the palate midway before the finish

mouthfeel - light, thin, light carbonation

drinkability - the flavors aren't incredibly robust but it's an easy drinking ale

djbreezy, May 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this beer on tap at Westwood Brewing Co in LA. For lunch, no less. What's better than that?

Appearance: reddish brown. Great head, lacing all the way down the glass.

Taste/Smell: Aroma of evergreen is there on the nose, and there on the palate. Citrus flavors (slightly lemony). Finishes up with medium hoppy bitterness. Missed the caramel that others report. Will have to try again.

Mouthfeel: Medium on carbonation (all the more noticeable since my next beer was an absolutely flat Full Sail Pale Ale). Medium body.

Drinkability: very drinkable beer. I could drink this all day.

mdubord, May 05, 2010
Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.