Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
hsway

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

a: Ambery, medium brown, with a slightly off-white head. Some lacing

s: Sweet, malty.

t: A bit hoppy with a hint of citrus at the front. Well-rounded flavors make for an interesting yet not overpowering brew.

m: Very smooth and full-bodied. Nice.

d: Super easy going down due to the low ABV (or at least low by Stone standards).

04-18-2009 22:13:23 | More by hsway
TheMistler

District of Columbia

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Clear orange brown, the color is pleasing to the eye. A vanilla colored head, and a pretty good amount of it. Sticky, solid wall lacing.

Caramel malt. Grapefruit. Pretty hoppy, with some herbal notes and lemon zest as well.

A hint of piney hops. Light grains, some nuttiness. Caramel malt. Bread. Finish is grapefruit, again with some herbal notes, a wee bit resin-sticky with lingering if slight bittering.

Slightly chewy body with a bread feel is interrupted by crisp carbonation, though prickliness is restrained. Carbonation becomes quite creamy. Despite the full feel, it is very refreshing brew, and of course sessionable, what with being tasty and low ABV.

EDIT: I'll admit, I tweaked the numbers. Upon a post-review looking at scores I've given recently, I realized that my review for this beer placed it well above a beer I liked as much if not better. The numbers reflect my thinking, while previous numbers were more good-beer mainstays that I am trying to shy away from.

04-17-2009 02:22:31 | More by TheMistler
alleykatking

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Stone made a session beer....oh holy shit!

A- Pored into a pint glass with little head that went away somewhat at a steady pace. Little lacing around the sides of the glass. Dark amber color what reminds me of Amber Bock.

S- Faint and I mean faint hop smell overpowered by a huge malt presence.

T- This tastes like an overmalted Amber Bock. Almost too malty for me.

M- Kind of a lighter mouthfeel. Goes down smooth almost like water without any kicking or screaming.

D- This is a very sessionable beer which is what Stone was going for. Not bad but nothing that I would seek out on a regular basis. Good beer to drink with friends who aren't into the craft beer scene.

04-15-2009 07:32:17 | More by alleykatking
hustlesworth

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

A- clear brownish red with dark amber highs, amazing beige head looks very hoppy, pitted, mountainous, and deposits tons of lace.

S- toasty, caramel, and hops in the nose, very nice pungent, amarillo and simcoe stand out with grapefruit and tangerine, passionfruit, lemon zest, and a little bit of pine. toasted grains underneath with a faint floral sweetness.

T- tastes great, but there's nothing spectacular about it. metallic mineral water, toasty and caramelized malt (and plenty of it) and an equal amount of hop flavor. balances out in the middle as it gets tobacco and woodsy and earthy, soil, white grapefruit, bitter orange, and a nice grainy cereal finish with lingering hoppy bitterness.

MF- just under medium bodied and the same goes for carbonation. a little bit oily becoming astringent, but gives the pleasant 'hop' feeling of a bigger beer maybe an ipa.

D- overall a very nice beer, average in some ways, but above average in some others, for instance drinkability. the extra 1 or 2% alcohol this baby lacks is made up for by the fact that you can actually have a session with some delicious hoppy beer without gettin shitfaced... as quickly. put it in the pub!

04-15-2009 00:54:27 | More by hustlesworth
Georgiabeer

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Nice to have another tasty low abv option. This one from Stone is just the ticket for an afternoon beer when you've still got something to do. Pours reddish dark amber with a slight head. Smells dry, light, and spicy with hops. Clean and pine scented with very little malt sweetness. Almost austere. The taste is similar. Quite light and clean and surprisingly bitter and dry. Lean and quenching with an herbal, piney finish. Nice.

04-14-2009 16:48:02 | More by Georgiabeer
anchordrinker

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Dark amber, with little head that dissipates to virtually none quickly.

S- I smell a malt/bread-y and caramel sweet aromas coupled with an underlying grapefruit-citrusy bitterness.

T- Initially it is rather bitter, followed by flavors of bread, finishing with sweet malty-caramel.

M- Medium levels of carbonation and light-medium body.

D- Very, very drinkable due to low alcohol content and nothing overwhelming to the palate.

04-14-2009 03:00:04 | More by anchordrinker
beer2day

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours amber with a very thin light cream head.

Nose is very bready and yeasty. Not what I was expecting. Only a very faint hop presence.

Hits the tongue very thin. Slight amber bite in the finish. Just not a whole lot going on here for me.

Good entry-level beer for Stone.

04-14-2009 00:45:53 | More by beer2day
rugerj

Beer pours a ruby copper color with a 1 finger head that fades slowly. Decent lacing left in glass.
Smell is a wonderful hop baguette with a bit of toasted malt and hint of chocolate/caramel. Smooth hop flavor up front with a nice balance of malt, nothing too sweet, bready flavor comes through in the end, slight caramel/chocolate flavor in the finish.

Another solid offering from Stone. One of my favorite amber ales.

04-13-2009 12:27:49 | More by rugerj
OtherShoe2

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours deep amber with a nice thick head with good lacing.

Toasted malt and light hop aromas.

Good toasted bread and malt characteristics, with hop leaf and citric bitter notes. Some strong bitterness here too -- kinda reminded me of that bitter walnut you get every now and then. A sharp bitter bite that lingered in the finish.

Body was thinner than I expected based upon the complexity of the beer, but it still holds its own in this department. Enough mouth coating elements and swishy body to make this enjoyable.

This one went down really easy. The bitterness was something that caught me off guard, but as you start to get thru the pint, you realize it is nothing to get hung up on. I'm not doing backflips about this one, but I did really enjoy it. Glad it is available out here in 6-ers -- I might stock a couple.

04-13-2009 11:59:24 | More by OtherShoe2
jackorain

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

I had the pleasure of review this brew sitting at the bar at Stone July 22nd, 2008. I am just now getting to entering the review from my copious notes taken at that time.

The color of the liquid was a dark amber. There was no head left on top of the beer by the bartender. I would say this is a bit unfortunate, particularly at Stone.

Initially in the nose, there is citrusy and piney hops with a caramel backbone. The citrus hops begin to unfold as deeper whiffs are taken. The grapefruit is what becomes more pronounced with each successive breath. I did not expect as much hop presence here with this beer.

The taste brings much of the same as the nose. Initial grapefruit and other citrus hops backed up very nicely by a firm caramel malt backbone. I also did not expect this much malt in the taste either given the small malt bill necessary to ensure the low ABV.
The mouthfeel is a little thin, almost watery. I guess this is the one place where the limited malts come through. The carbonation is high and creates quite a refreshing beverage.

The drinkability of this one is very high. I could easily down several and come back for more. This would make a great party beer, you know, a quarter or a half depending on the size of the gathering. Beer advocates will love it and will also make a great gateway for others.

Thanks for Reading

04-11-2009 21:21:56 | More by jackorain
Murchmac

There's not much I can say about this beer that hasn't been said. I used to drink this all the time, haven't had it on 5 plus years, now I remember why stone rules and this beer kicks ass. Just a good red ale, with a solid hop taste and smell. Makes you burp hops. Good on ya Stone.

04-10-2009 04:03:08 | More by Murchmac
asabreed

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. I heard from someone I think is pretty knowledgeable that this was a "hopped up pale ale," though I didn't believe it at only 4.4% ABV. We'll see.

Appearance: Nicely amber with some copper involved. Soapy white head with good retention and sticky, spotty lacing making its mark.

Smell: Yep, lots of hops. A ton, but still distinguishable, seemingly, as a pale ale more than a red or amber. Lots of spiny and herbal pungency from the hops with some stems and greenness. Nearly no malt flavors coming through, no sweetness, which I like, but was initially a bit off-putting.

Taste: Hops and more hops, but on the lighter side, and more herbal than pine or citrus. A bit of husk and graininess too. Long herbal hop finish with a twang of lemongrass and citrus that I like a lot. What I miss from this so-called amber is the fact that there's little malt character. Yet I don't miss it much because the hops are so earthy and tasty. Still, with some malt balance -- and maybe that's why it's such a low ABV in its absence -- this could be pretty wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Lighter-bodied, yet still some fullness there with the carbonation.

Drinkability: Does this mean it's also lower calorie since it's only 4.4%? If so, that's a bonus, because I would've easily said, without knowing, that this was in the 6% range. I imagine I'll be drinking more of these this summer. It'd probably go great with some barbeque also. Stone continues to brew great stuff. Not that that surprises me.

04-09-2009 19:12:36 | More by asabreed
Reagan1984

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer was a classic Amber color with a hint of maroon. Excellent clarity and a scant head that was light beige in color. Not a great amount of retention and really not much lacing to speak of. A touch of visible carbonation.

Aroma is great and surprisingly hoppy. Rather floral

Based on my excitement from the aroma I was a little disappointed in the flavor. Arrogant Bastard, Red Rocket Ale, Cascazilla came into my mind as I enjoyed the visual and aroma of the beer. As a fan of highly hopped Ambers I was hoping to find a new friend. The flavor was fine, but left me disappointed that it didn't make the list of beers I love in this category. It's funny, sometimes you cheer for the beer to be good.... I am also a fan of stone, so I was ready to love it. Alas, I did not. Toasted malt, some fruit and a citrus twang from the hops. I didn't think it had enough backbone to balance the more aggressive hop presence. Also, not overly complex. Some bread notes....

Mouth feel was thin and the body was a little too light in my book.

Nicely drinkable. Not a bad beer, but didn't live up to what I had hoped.

04-07-2009 12:08:28 | More by Reagan1984
glid02

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked up a six-pack from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a clear dark amber color with a one-finger light tan head. The head recedes slowly into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of citrus and floral hops with small amounts of very lightly toasted malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the malts don't seem as toasted as the aroma led me to believe. Light citrus flavors mix with caramel malt flavors that end with a very light bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very good for such a small beer. A nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I could drink these all night.

Overall this is a very sessionable beer from the boys at Stone. Definitely worth a shot.

04-04-2009 20:05:53 | More by glid02
willjschmidt

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a ruby copper color with a good sized head.

S: Lots of hops with a bit of roasted malt and even a hint of chocolate.

T: A big and bold amber ale. Lots of hops, per Stone's style. An aggressive malt presence with a bit of bread and dough in there as well. A bit of carmel and chocolate as well.

M: Medium-full bodied, dry finish.

D: A good, drinkable, amber ale.

04-02-2009 15:42:43 | More by willjschmidt
gford217

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep, clear amber with a huge fluffy white head that recedes to a sizable cap and leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is full of pine and other evergreen aromas, definitely lots of resin in the nose. There is a little caramel malt but the hops of the star here.

The taste has a big abrasive hop bitterness up front that is barely balanced by the malt backbone before a much more recognizable pine hop flavor lingers through the finish.

The mouthfeel is light to medium but certainly decent given the low ABV on the beer.

This is a very drinkable amber and they certainly crammed plenty of hops into a fairly light beer. Very good.

04-02-2009 01:52:49 | More by gford217
LilBeerDoctor

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Bottle. Pours a clear amber/brown with a small white head. Aroma of bready malts and some light fruits. Flavor similarly is dominated by bready, doughy malts and light floral hops with a bitter finish. Flavorful and quite drinkable. Nice amber.
7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5)

03-31-2009 02:54:53 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Brenden

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

The color is a clear dark brown that shines a deep reddish-brown in the light. The head is a big dimpled pillow that retains very well, leaving some nice sticky lacing behind. The smell I get is predominantly grapefruit and pine hops with a light yeast character. I also get a subtle caramel malt undertone. The taste follows suit: for the most part, hops bitterness is in the forefront nicely balanced by notes of citrus and a nice tartness. Grains and malt factor in strongly as well. I can detect some dark fruits in there also and something like brown sugar or caramelized sugar that isn't strong but lurks. There's a nice herbal tea note to it also. Mouthfeel is not particularly thick with a medium body.
The aroma and flavor to this one are very nice but very much muted compared to Stone's usual. This is simply a pure brew and as natural as it gets. With its low ABV, it makes a great session beer.

03-30-2009 16:28:23 | More by Brenden
jkrich

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz. bottle with best by date stamped near bottom of bottle; you really had to look for it.

This one poured a very dark clear amber; almost looked like a glass of tea. The white head quickly dissipated leaving some nice lacing.

There was a noticeable tangy hop aroma and some restrained sweet malty odors.

This was a surprisingly bitter flavored amber ale unlike the others I have tried. I can almost taste a hint of roastiness in the flavor; very unique indeed. As the ale warms the malt becomes a little more prominent, but the hop bitters still dominate. There is also a slight buttery flavor.

Well carbonated with a solid mouthfeel; rather thick on the tongue.

Without a doubt, the most full-flavored, complex ale I have had at only 4.4 ABV. There is no watery flavor here. I now understand the name of the ale: as the back label states, an ale with this complexity does defy gravity.

03-29-2009 22:38:22 | More by jkrich
jacobseyb

Alabama

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

A=Deep amber with cream colored head, average carbonation, dissipating quickly

S=Smell encourages tasting, light bitterness noticable

T=Good light bitterness, light aftertaste

M=Enjoyable feel, easy drink

D=Easy to drink, lighter alcohol heightens drinkability.

03-29-2009 02:26:38 | More by jacobseyb
stonequarrywest

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with an off white head into a pint glass.

Sweet hoppy smell with caramel malts

Taste sweet and malty as well....nothing special

Overly hoppy for an Amber..which i did enjoy more than I thought I would.

A little to sweet to knock back many...

03-25-2009 21:42:48 | More by stonequarrywest
k3punk

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

This is by far my favorite of the Stone selection. I get the taste without feeling like I am trying to prove something. I am writing a paper for college and thought I would start with a review to help get the neurons firing. This ale poored smooth with a thick, foamy head of about an inch and a half that never fully disapated, but melted down to a skim on top. The colour is an amber tone. The smell is very nice, not to over the top. The taste is the same, rolling over the toungue with out to much bitterness, but hitting the back of the throat with a bite, there is a definate earthy taste that I have come to appreciate from all of Stone's selections. I rated the drinkability of this beer as high because for the amount of taste you get out of this beer it's not filling. I recomend this ale.

03-22-2009 21:39:21 | More by k3punk
dukedevil0

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

Single 12 oz bottle from Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH.

A: Pours a darker amber with a finger of white head that reduces down to a film and good lacing on the glass.

S: hops, citrus, caramel malts, tiny alcohol scent

T: much more malts in the flavor with a bite and then hop bitterness that doesn't sit well with me

M: Slightly thin, which may be intended or from the low abv

D: If you like the flavor you'd probably down many, but unfortunately I don't.

03-10-2009 22:38:11 | More by dukedevil0
endincolorado

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance- Deep, dark amber-brown with a finger of creamy head and tons of sticky lace.

Smell- Floral and citrusy esters

Taste- Hop-dominated, with orange and lime, maybe some pine or grass. Not a whole lot of malt-character, but as the beer warms there's a slight cereal-grain taste. Solid, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel- Heavy on carbonation. Light-medium mouthfeel with an almost chewy texture.

Drinkability- Lots of hops and flavor overall. Well-balanced, focused and clean. Highly drinkable.

03-10-2009 13:13:47 | More by endincolorado
Rhynes2

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Color is a very rich red/amber. When poured out, has a nice foamy head that stick around for a while. Decent lacing as well, drips down fairly quickly. Some moderate carbonation visible. This beer also has a great citrus/grain smell to it. The guy below me made an excellent observation of a grapefruit taste. Not my favorite Stone brew but great to have for a meal or just hanging around.

03-08-2009 22:29:35 | More by Rhynes2
Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.