Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle received from seaoflament as an extra - thanks for knocking this off my wants list, Carlos! Into my Guinness pint glass

A: Deep copper/amber in color with a thin tan head that recedes to a disk rather quickly,this is a pretty decent looking beer. Plenty of carbonation and great clarity to boot

S: Crisp citrus hops dominate with a light caramel malt aroma in the back . Light and flavorful, not very nuanced though.

T: Hopped up amber coming up. The Columbus hops come through with a citrus bitterness that kinda overpowers the malt that's rather moderate. Finishes dry and rather bitter, maybe a tad much?

M: Light, crisp with great carbonation and a rather bitter finish, maybe a bit much?

D: I never thought I'd criticize a beer for being over-hopped but the lack of balance between the flavor and bittering hops hurts this one despite the low ABV.

02-22-2009 17:20:11 | More by DefenCorps
kemoarps

Washington

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a deep ruby tan, like musty straw. Weak head, but good lacing.
The smell has an immediately spicy head, with yeasty tones kicking in as well, backed up by a citrusy bittersweetness.
The flavour follows the nose. The cascade hops dominate early, as their spicy nature shines through, with hints of citrus, pine, and yeast. Theres an underlying buttery smoothness that I can't quite put my finger (tongue) on.
The mouthfeel is almost chewy, with the bitter spiciness dancing across the back of the tongue.
Drinkable if it's what you're into, for me it's a little hoppy to have more than one or two in a row.

Overall a good representation of a style that is not my favourite. Try it, you'll probably like it.

02-20-2009 04:17:26 | More by kemoarps
stewart124

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a dark amber to burgundy color with a thick and somewhat sticky tan head. This leaves a nice lace along the sides of the glass.

The smell that I first picked up was cascade hops. There is a certain spice and fragrance that this brings to mind and it's like sniffing a bag of cascade pellets.

The taste is smooth and crisp. It's almost chewy and biscuity. This seems to have a complex malt background and the hops add a great touch. The mouthfeel is big and finishes very dry. Lots of citrus and pine bite the tongue.

Leaves a very nice aftertaste and it's just so chewy. It's nice to see another beer from Stone that doesn't blow you out of the water.

02-20-2009 02:33:01 | More by stewart124
projectflam86

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Nice bold reddish amber color with creamy tan head that resulted in nice sticky lacing.

S- Citrusy nose with hops and maybe some fig and even a touch of pine or earthy scent.

T- Bitter hops with a bit of the lemon/orange coming out in the finish. Decent malt backbone but a hop forward taste.

M- Alcohol was more dominant than I expected considering relatively low ABV (especially for Stone Brews). Carbonation was just right considering how full bodied it is. Little bit of a tangy malt aftertaste.

D- Overall a solid beer that may lack just slighly in complexity. Packed full of flavor, and easily my favorite "light" beer.

02-16-2009 01:28:42 | More by projectflam86
prototypic

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: It's a dark red stained brown color (if that makes any sense). It's very clear and has absolutely no haze. The head is a light tan color and reaches about a finger and a half deep. It didn't stick around too long, but left a respectable lacing on the glass.

Smell: The most striking thing about the nose is its vibrant hops. They're very prevalent and really set the tone nicely. Smells like mix of pine and floral notes. There's plenty of caramel malt giving it a slightly sweet smell. There's a unique aroma that smells like a mix between toasted nut and light smoke. It's not too strong in the mix, but adds a ton of character. Very interesting aroma. There's a tad bit of a yeast smell as it fades.

Taste: The hops really are amazing in this beer. They attack the palate right away and provide a very nice piney flavor with some light floral characteristics sprinkled in. It is malty, but not overly sweet. The toasted nut/light smoke element is definitely present. It's good, but not quite as effective here as in the nose. It doesn't taste quite as good as it smells, but it's definitely good. No doubt about that. It's a little yeasty, but not overly so. Hops re-emerge on the tail and have a lasting, bitter flavor. Really nice finish...dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It has a light body and is pretty smooth. Carbonation is active and it's a little too light to reach the next level. Still pretty good though. Drinkability is good. It's certainly got a nice flavor and at 4.4% abv, it's very approachable. I don't quite like the flavor enough to put it into the elite class though.

Levitation Ale is very good beer. It has Stone written all over it. It's not quite the stunner that some of their beer is. But, for a 4.4% beer, it has a good flavor and a ton of character. I think it needs a little more of something to improve the flavor a little. Perhaps a little more of a sweet flavor. All in all though, it's pretty impressive. Easily recommended. I'm pleased to finally see the bottles in Ohio. But, I recall liking this on draft a little better.

02-14-2009 03:00:18 | More by prototypic
sweetbrew82

3.9/5  rDev +1%

12 oz. into a pint glass/ no freshness date

P: Golden brown from the bottle, deep amber in the glass. 2 fingered tan head is thick & frothy with very good retention. Morbidly obese patches of lace stick like hell as it sinks to a thin cap of foam on top.

A: Smells like a toned down Arrogant Bastard. Citrusy and piney hops are abound, toasted bready malt, and some earth.

T: I got the same first impression from the taste as I did with the nose. It's kind of like the featherweight version of AB. Hop dominant, but not by much. They're citrusy like grapefruit rind, oranges, and bitter lemon with pine sap. Toasted bready malts hold their own, but I've had IPA's that weren't this hoppy. Caramel and english toffee are brewing about to provide some sweetness as well.

M & D: Medium-full bodied, creamy yet slightly grainy, laid back carbonation with hardly any bite. Drinkability is through the roof as it's an easy-drinking, flavorful ale that's only packing a 4.4% ABV.

Notes: Levitation Ale is a straight-forward, full-flavored, well-hopped amber ale that left me satisfied. Nothing special here, just a very good session beer that I would love to drink all night. Another winner for Stone Brewing!

02-12-2009 02:38:41 | More by sweetbrew82
latercol

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

A fairly attractive beer when poured. Medium dark amber with reddish highlights. Off white head sticks to the edges of my chimay goblet.

The smell is really quite nice. Very piney hop smells dominate.

Taste is also very piney but seems a tad unbalanced. Could use more malt in my opinion. Maybe the low alcohol content made the hops too pronounced. Very noticible hop aftertaste. Not really what I expected for an amber ale.

Mouth feel is sort of sticky and syrupy.

This isn't my favorite brew, but it isn't bad by any means, just could have been better balanced and more drinkable especially considering the style. I felt it was over hopped and did not allow me to taste the other complexities in the beer. I would have an IPA if I wanted a hoppy brew, Stones own IPA is quite a bit better than this one anyway.

02-12-2009 01:40:00 | More by latercol
DoctorDog

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Enjoy by 04/09/09" stamped on the bottom of the back of the label.

A- Reddish, deep amber, and essentially clear. Pours with 2+ fingers of off white head, which fades gradually to a cap. Nice retention, and leaves ample lacing as consumed.

S- Fairly forward piney hops, with a hint of sweet breadiness noted.

T- Touch of caramel maltiness, and then a sturdy dose of pine hoppiness. Bitterness is moderate.

M- Moderately high carbonation. Slightly thin. Goes down smooth.

D- Excellent. Solid tasting easy drinker with a low ABV. Seems like a very sessionable brew, and probably a nice choice to kick a few back on a hot day.

Future outlook: A very decent, flavorful, low ABV brew that would be a great alternative to pounding BMC on a night of mindless drinking (not that I have many of these anymore!). I could see getting this again for just such an occasion....

02-11-2009 04:03:02 | More by DoctorDog
budsboy

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Very rich red-brown color, clear, with a white head that falls back to an oil spill of foam on the surface.

Very pleasing burnt pine cone hop smell. Really interesting wafts of sugary malt, pine-cone hops, garden soil, and dark fruit.

Very hoppy. All piney hops. Not really well balanced, much more hop bitterness than malt flavors. Finish is dry and bitter, and the pine aftertaste lasts.

Almost light bodied, well carbonated and a wee oily in the mouth.

Exceedingly drinkable. A session beer for the hop lover. Big hop flavor and bitterness and low alcohol. This is a hoppier if not the hoppiest version of an amber/red. I find it wonderfully easy to drink and thoroughly enjoyable.

02-08-2009 00:00:58 | More by budsboy
humanawho

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A- clear light red color with a good white head

S- very light sweet grapfruit aroma and an odd tangyness

T- light sweetness with a light bitter finish not much going on for me clean but not exciting

M- even for a clean light beer it is too watery for me

D- light and clean but the bitter finish hurts the refeshing quality

02-07-2009 23:39:07 | More by humanawho
bowersdm

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a bavarian pilsner

A - red/amber with just under 4cm of off-white head. Beautiful lacing after dissipation.

S - piney and citrusy hops: grapefruit, pineapple.

T - I have no idea why this is classified as an american amber/red ale. To me this is a microbrewery version of an american adjunct lager. There was a slight sweetness once the beer hit the palate, but that gave way to a subtle hop flavor and then there was a Bud Light like flavor that I always attributed to the rice used in their beers. No adjuncts here though, so I have no idea what it was. The hops were way weaker than the nose suggested and the malt was barely noticeable. Did not taste like an Amber ale at all.

M - kind of watery, even for a beer of this size.

D - even though I didn't enjoy this beer. I'd drink it as a session beer to replace those foul tasting macros. It was pretty easy drinking and though the flavor wasn't that off-putting, it got low marks because it did not seem like an Amber Ale at all. It seemed more like a Stone attempt at a macro style beer. The only possible way that this beer got a Gold at the Great American Beer Festival would be if no other beers entered in its category. Stones beer continue to disappoint me.

02-06-2009 04:45:18 | More by bowersdm
sudsface69

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

My first experience with Stone was one I'll never forget - a thorough flogging from their monarch the Arrogant Bastard. It was a big, bruiser of a beer that, somehow strangely masochistically, led me to try the Double Bastard weeks later. It was a fight that although I felt I was well prepared for, probably went to the DB when it came time for the judges to make a decision. A little torn and battered, I decided to take a break from Stone for a while.

Then came today, when I walked into my fav beer store to the surprise of seeing this beer sitting on the shelves pronouncing an ABV of only 4.4% If out of nothing else than sheer curiousity, I had to try this Arrogant "little" Bastard.

And boy am I happy I did!! This is an AWESOME session beer. Don't let the 4.4% deter you. The nose of this beer is full of nice malts and a great dose of piney, christmas tree hops. The flavor is bright, dry, and crisp and is totally drinkable. At the end of my glass, sticky lacing was clung all over the place.

This is a great everyday drinker. I can't say that I'm not a little shocked to see this from Stone, but way to go. Finally a session beer from these guys!!

02-05-2009 18:17:22 | More by sudsface69
Mardukk

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a dark toffee color with some lacing and a quickly dissapating head.

Smells of piney leafy hops.

A significant amount of hop bitterness. Very piney tasting with little to no malt taste. Tastes like ruination light, kind of off putting but not bad.

The taste is almost too much for it to be infinitely drinkable, it's still quite drinkable though.

Not my cup o tea. Light beer feel with super strong hop flavors.

02-04-2009 01:45:34 | More by Mardukk
hosehead83

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Brown bottle with "2007 Gold Medal Winner at the Great American Beer Festival" embosssed on the neck

Poured into pint glass- Ruby-cherry color

Very nice piney-hop aroma

Taste- A bit of a letdown to be honest, a slightly hoppy very light bodied flavor that vanishes pretty quickly-leaving a lingering metallic bitterness

Is this a (dare I say it) "light" beer from the great Stone Brewing Company?? Maybe I'm wrong about this beer but I am so used to Stone's beers as being in-your-face as far as flavor is concerned. Levitation, although certainly sessionable,leaves me wanting more, especially from a Stone Brewery offering

Overall, a bit disappointing if you are expecting the usual Stone bitch-slap to the taste buds, but certainly easy to drink and sessionable at 4.4abv

02-02-2009 23:18:45 | More by hosehead83
nlmartin

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

This little brother of that Arrogant Bastard was served in an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

Appearance: The beers body pours a bright clear amber coloration. The head was a shortly lived cream coloration. The head quickly receeded into a ring of foam.

Smell: A herbal, floral, pine combination of aromas hits me in the nose. Very nice!

Taste: A flash of caramel maltyness hits my tongue and is quickly smacked away by pine resin, citrus hops going into a herbal bitterness and even into more bitterness. Very nice!...

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a fairly light body. The pine tar nature of the hops makes the flavors stick in my mouth and makes the beer seem bigger. This is a very easy beer to drink. I could see tacking some of these into a series of sessionable beers.

02-02-2009 03:39:27 | More by nlmartin
bamadog

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Of all the Stone brews I've had, this one is easily the least challenging, likely why none of the caps told me that I am not worthy. Poured from the bottle into a trusty pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a beautifuly ruby/coppery color. A solid 1 and 1/2 finger head formed and it lasted the entire pint -- don't know if I've ever seen retention quite like that. Solid carbonation is present in the glass.

Smell: Mild and hoppy, slightly piney.

Taste: Nice piney bitterness, but far from overpowering in the hop department. Typically I would expect something form Stone to kick me in the teeth, but this one is especially mild. I find a slight matliness in the far back of it of the drink as well, but it's very subtle.

Mouthfeel: A little thing actually. A slight stickiness to it, but not much presence overall.

Drinkability: Kind of mediocre when it comes to Stone, but overall it isn't a bad beer. I probably won't go out of my way to get this in the future, but I really don't mind drinking it. The low ABV would easily allow for a fair amount to be consumed in a sitting, so easily sessionable.

02-02-2009 01:08:27 | More by bamadog
bluejacket74

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

12 ounce bottle, best by 4/9/09. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/copper color with a half-inch off-white head. Lacing and head retention are both average. It smells like piney and grassy hops, along with a little bit of malt. Taste is the same as the aroma, pine and grassy hops with a bit of malt. There's also a nice lingering hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit oily and has good carbonation. Drinkability is good, I think it's a decent choice as a session beer. I didn't know what to think of this beer at first, a Stone beer at just 4.4% ABV? The flavor is good and it's easy to drink, so that's definitely a good thing. But for the price I don't think I'm getting my money's worth. With that being said, I definitely wouldn't turn one of these down but I don't think I would buy it very often.

02-01-2009 01:19:37 | More by bluejacket74
katan

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

12 oz undated bottle - 2007 gold medal winner it says

A - Pours a brown to almost amber hue. Very "red ale"ish. Head formation is moderate, with about a millimeter of pearly white foam hanging out on top. Carbonation overall appears light however.

S - Incredibly hoppy nose on this beer - took me completely by surprise. I would estimate this to be some nice Amarillo hops. Pretty much dominates the smell. Some phenolic impressions hit me - but how can that be with this low octane beer?

T - Starts off with some sweetness, but only for a split second. Develops a floral hop note mid-stream, very assertive. Finishes with an incredible bitter bite. Very strong. Perhaps not to style, but I guess this is a west coast red eh? Aftertaste is grassy from some kind of dry hopping.

M - moderate body - not thick and not thin. Some sting sourced from the higher carbonation levels. The oily hop residue is pronounced on the tongue in the leftovers.

D - Very light abv makes it very easy to drink. However, like the porter I had last week, I find that the hops run so against the grain that I can't find it to be more than a one or two at a time beer.

I was going to save my hoppy beer for the finale tonight - guess it sneaked on me early. Clearly Stone is a good go to for delivery of the ol' Alpha acid, but I have to say if I would want it in every beer I would always order a ruination.

01-30-2009 05:19:05 | More by katan
nrbw23

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a dark ruby red color. Head is creamy and tannish colored. Head has good retention and leaves very little lacing.

S- Touch of malts but just like most Stone brews a nice amount of hops (piney and citrus).

T- A nice hop bite to it but nothing over the top. Sweet malts balance everything out.

M- Light in body and good carbonation.

D- Has a good amount of bold flavours even with the lower ABV. Very easy to drink.

01-27-2009 03:31:02 | More by nrbw23
tmoneyba

Draft at Dilly Deli.

Poured a clear copper color with an average frothy white head that was mostly lasted and had good lacing.

Good malty and citrus hoppy aroma.

Medium body with slick dry texture and flat carbonation.

Moderate well balanced smooth flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

Good session brew.

01-26-2009 00:18:01 | More by tmoneyba
brewdlyhooked13

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance - pours a dark reddish amber, a thin covering of pale tan head. Thin but generous lacing. Great clarity, robust looking.

Aroma - lots of herbal, grassy hop aroma. Reminds me of the dry-hopped St. Rogue's Red. Intense enough to exude minty notes. Easily the most fragrant 4.4% beer I've ever sniffed.

Taste - whatever malts were used here are completely out-maneuvered by the intense herbal, grassy hops. A decent citrus character, turning bitter on the swallow. And more bitter still. Gets darn near medicinal on the aftertaste, continuing the dry, bitter bit on the finish. Ends a little too bitter but I still like it for the most part.

Mouthfeel - crisp and with a light smoothness. Sports a touch of heaviness as well.

Drinkability - actually, this is a little *too* flavorful for extended sessioning in my book, but a fantastic option after some extended sampling, when you want something that can hold its own taste-wise after some prior potent/bigger brews. Toasted on Inauguration Day, 1/20/09. Congrats to President Obama and his cabinet!

01-24-2009 16:29:10 | More by brewdlyhooked13
gory4d

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Fruits of my first trade -- thanks, webhank.

Pours deep russet, quite clear, with an off-white two finger head. The smell is pine, moss, and toffee. The taste is eucalyptus, leatherwood honey, smoke, and tangelo -- very complex, with a dry finish. The mouthfeel is excellent, finely carbonated but robust, with a medium body. It's powerful for such low-alcohol beer, but the drinking is rich, full, and easy.

01-24-2009 16:26:42 | More by gory4d
beachbum1975

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

Root Cellar just got these in last Friday and DrewOSU was kind enough to buy a sixer of these - thanks, man (Cause I'm broke at the moment!). 12 ounce brown bottle with best before date of 04-09-09.

Pours a bright, clear red with a dark tan, creamy, compact bubbles. Great spider web lacing and good head retention.

Hops and slightly sweet malts on the nose. The hops are surprisingly pretty aggressive - they're a nice mix of floral and earthy.

Medium to high carbonation with unusual flavor profile throughout my swallow (big in the beginning then dropping to mild in the finish). Big initial blast of hops like snagged off the nose. The sweeter malt "redness" of the beer comes through in the middle and finishes with a light bitterness. Flavor is big in the beginning, then drops quickly to an almost watered down medium to finish. Hops stick around in the aftertaste, as well.

I am loving the low ABV on this beer, but the price tag ($9.49 per six-pack) is a deterrent for me. It's like a solid IPA in the beginning and end feeling like an Amstel Light. Strange, but drinkable.

01-22-2009 00:30:58 | More by beachbum1975
bfields4

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Clear dark amber color with a nice frothy head that builds nicely.

The smell of hops are definitely up front and present in this one as with all Stone beers.

The taste hits hard with the piny and citrus hops but there's a slight compliment of sweetness that's a nice compliment.

This smooth easier drinking Stone could be the most sessional hoppy beer I've tried. Though I don't know if I'd session a hoppy beer, but if I'm ever in the mood this would be a treat. All in all great beer that just misses being exceptional.

01-15-2009 03:15:16 | More by bfields4
Needsbeer

12oz bottle poured into an unlabeled 16oz pint glass

Appearance: Pours smooth Solid red amber, very creamy moderate head with great retention and persistent lacing throughout the review process. Great looking beer.

Nose: Nice sharp nose of citrusy hops and mellowing malt in the background

Taste: Mild sweetness followed by a smack of welcomed hop bitterness that lingers in the back of the mouth without over powering the palate. Very small detectable alcohol warmth as expected.

Notes: Not one of the most complex or full flavored beers from Stone, but certainly one of my favorites. The taste packed into this 4.4% brew is what really sells it. Very drinkable, it is the quintessential session brew in my book.

01-06-2009 06:14:05 | More by Needsbeer
Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.