Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Part of a sampler at Rattle n' Hum

A: Clear, dark amber with a good head and good staying power. Great lacing!

S: Nothing bult malt and minimal hops.

T: What? Airy hope bitterness and nothing else. Is something wrong - is this beer old? Weird watered down taste up front with a redeeming hop bitterness on the back of the tongue that is somewhat of a saving grace. Maybe my palate was bruised from an earlier beer but the lack of smell seems to support this.

M: Minimal hop bitterness, seems watered down. Not much in the way of mouthfeel.

D: I will try this again, but for now, it gets an average rating, which hurts as everything else Stone I have had has been great!

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hand pulled cask at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood. Served in a nonic.

Hazy copper body with amber highlights. Two fingers of beige foam with superior retention and thick sudsy lacing. No legs.

Very light caramel, toast, grassy hops, not much else...

Digestive biscuits, earthy hops, mild wheat bread flavors. Faint citrus and more malt in the finish. Mild bitterness throughout.

Pillowy, ethereal body (as expected by the name!).

Low ABV and a mild pleasant flavor coupled with a soft yet just-substantial-enough body makes this immensely sessionable.

Served from a 12oz. bottle into my Stone Levitation tulip glass at the appropriate temperature (01/10/10).

A: Pours a slightly darker shade of amber with a rather fluffy two finger head. Decent retention and some patchy lace are left behind

S: Mild aroma of citrus hops with some bitterness.

T: A very fresh tasting beer that has a delicate flavor profile consisting of citrus hops in a mild caramel malt. The flavors are very crisp and light while still containing enough substance to please the palate.

M: Light to medium-bodied with a refreshing carbonation and a slight lingering dry bitterness.

D: Extremely drinkable at only 4.4% abv. and a s true sessionable American Amber.

Overall this is a great session beer from Stone that still has enough flavor to keep thing interesting. If you're looking for something that is a bit lighter, while still retaining some nice hoppy flavor, consider this beer. Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Took a 6-pack of this to a friend's party. I did not know what to expect from it, except that it was a lower alchohol beer than usually comes from the craft beer section of the store.

First off, it was a nice looking beer. Clear dark amber in color, with nice carbonation and a fluffy white head. It didn't look like a light beer.

Smell was sharp with a bit of citrus hoppiness. Flavor was more of the same. A light, clean malt flavor was covered by a nice hoppy bite. I could have easily guessed this beer was 50% stronger by the flavor alone. It didn't taste like a light beer.

While it didn't have an extremely full mouth feel, it still seemed very flavorful, and the payoff is that it did not go to my head at all. It hasn't been since I last had an Anchor small beer that I have satisfied my thirst with a beer and not felt any noticable effects of drinking a beer. So it drank like a light beer, with none of the limitations in other areas.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a Palm tulip, I'd estimate the temperature to be about 50 degrees.

A- I'd have to say the appearance is the best part of this beer. A cloudy, deep copper color that poured about a three quarter inch head.

S- Surprisingly I don't pick up much of an aroma from this beer. What I do smell is some sweet malt with just a hint of floral hops.

T- This is probably the least flavorful beer I've had from stone to date. Tastes like a lightly hopped amber and I think there's some sort of slight metallic taste on the back end that I can't quite put my finger on. Nothing to ruin the beer but enough to be noticeable.

M- As with taste this beer probably has the least impressive mouth feel of any Stone brew I've had. A light carbonation coats the tongue but it somehow feels a little watered down.

D- If I'm looking for a lighter, flavorful amber then I may go to this again in the future. I have no problem putting this one down but something about it is just a little disappointing. I would drink this again if offered to me but I can't say I would purchase this again in the future.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

12 oz Bottle into a Pint Glass.

Review Updated 3/13/10.

Best by Date of 4/15/10 stamped at the bottom of the bottle.

A: Dark Copper with a thick one finger head.

S: Light floral hops. Not as potent as I am used to with Stone's beers.

T: A touch of bittering hops and more floral flavors. It just tastes rather bland to me. I'm all for subtle beers, and I can find enjoyment in various styles, but the taste on this one does not impress me.

M: Light bodied. A bit too thin for my liking.

D: The strong suit for this beer. The more I drink it, the more it strikes me that this is Stone's attempt at a light beer.

This is my second attempt at reviewing Levitation. The first attempt my bottle was past its date, so I threw the review out. This bottle does taste considerably better than that one, but I think this beer just isn't for me. I have a few bottles left, so I will give it a few more chances.

I love Stone's beers (Arrogant Bastard and Imperial Russian are the reason I love craft beer today - hell, they are the reason I started homebrewing), but I'm having a hard time with this one. Oh well, I'll know not to grab it next time...

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

On-Tap....

Served in a standard pint glass.

A- Typical amber colored ale. However, there was some incredible lacing! Big head and thick foam.

S- Smell was hoppy and citrusy. Big whiffs of grapefruits.

T- Surprised how malty this brew was considering the smell was all hop. Do not worry, there was surely enough hops to go around. Some bitter bready qualities to the brew as well as pine and flowers.

M- Sticky and medium bodied.

D- Easy drinking hoppy amber ale. I've had better from stone though...

Poured from the bottle a clear amber color with ruby highlights. The beige head on this one was huge and creamy.

Aroma of spruce and piney hops along with caramel malts.

A slightly sour note upfront followed by green tea, pine, and caramel malts.

Lighter bodied and dry with a sharpness to the carbonation.

An interesting and easy-drinking Red from Stone. Not the best out there, but pretty solid.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a transparent, but deep amber color. Big fluffy white foamy head that stays firm for some time. Very nice lacing.

Strong hop smell, some hints of pine and citrus. A crisp refreshing scent.

Taste is hops! Some malt hints in the background, and a mildly bitter hop aftertaste. The hops linger.

Mouthfeel is a hint of creaminess upfront, some carbonation, and a dry finish.

A bold beer for such a low abv. Very drinkable if you enjoy hops. My introduction to Stone, and well worth $9.99 a sixer!

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a snifter, left 1/4 to 1/2" tan head and good lacing. Brown with red highlights. Smell is very hoppy and grainy. Taste is mild hop with a bit of a wet blueberry thing to it. Very good! Aftertaste is good and bitter. Mouthfeel is medium and very wet. Drinkability is awesome.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle. It has a red copper color and is semi-opaque. It has a good head and lace. It's a very strong sour scent.

Extraordinary flavorful beer. It has a burnt charcoal taste. Very bitter, yet has a smoothness, too. Some vegetable taste that gives it a hint of sour. For such a low abv, this has a very thick flavorful taste.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Fills the glass with a clear, dark amber ale, headed by a thick, dense, almond foam. Big rings are bridged by patchy lace as the head never completely dissipates.

Strong spruce, spice, and some grapefruit are showcased by the Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Honey, woodchips, green tea and other aromas continue to unfold with warmth.

The tea flavors take the fore and this beer is much more earthy than expected from the nose. This has a subtle, lingering finish of light bitterness and honey.

Medium bodied and silky with a light carbonation and no hint of alcohol.

Levitation is easy to drink, with great aroma and flavors. It will work well as a compliment to casual food. This may become my go-to beer for any occasion, and is easily sessionable. This is my favorite Stone offering to date.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

A: A dark ruby orange. Small white head and some lacing.

S: Very hoppy and floral.

T: Pretty good, a big taste of hops to start out. Very flavorful with less than 5% ABV. There is a citrus aftertaste that is pleasant.

M: Light, which is deserving due to the low ABV. Not too carbonated, makes for an okay feel.

D: It's okay, flavorful and low ABV, but would lose interest after a couple.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A: A lovely light ruby/sunset orange hue, with an average head. Visible carbonation is a little light, lacing is so so, but for the "lightness" of the beer, to be expected.

S: HOPS! HOPS! HOPS! YUM! I took a wiff of the bottle when I opened it and oh my, I felt like i was smelling a bag of hops bought from the local home brew store. Obviously floral and pine is present too with the hop smell, but man, the hops overpower any other smell I'm getting.

T: Let's see.. hops? Unfortunately though, the hop taste is quickly followed by a watery taste. Perhaps I was expecting Stone's Ruination with a more thick bodied non-watery taste. Regardless, a good tasting brew.

M: As mentioned above, with the watery taste, it's almost like drinking a light beer. HOWEVER, a very good, very hoppy light beer. It makes sense with the 4.4 ABV.

D: HOPS+LIGHT? Let's see, I think you could drink one after another of these, and with the 4.4 ABV, not hit the floor at the usual midnight (2AM here I come!).

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a hazy copper color with a cream colored thumb sized head that falls rather quick but does leave some sparse lace behind.

Aroma is great sweet caramel chewy and sticky with nice hops citrus, piny and resiny.

Taste is great loads of caramel, sweet chewy with good dose of west coast hops pine and citrus. Great amber brew simple but done right.

Mouthfeel is medium with good lightly peppy carbonation.

Drinkability is good an enjoyable amber brew, very tasty very well done.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a clear ruby with fading two finger whitish head. Smell: caramel, pine and citrus hops. Stone yeast character. Taste: leafy, green tea, lemon and grapefruit peel, caramel, slightly buttery. An enjoyable change of pace from Stone. Best by 2/9/10.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle provided by Exiled.

Beer pours dark orange-red with a white head. The aroma is certainly more hoppy than your standard red ale, but that is to be expected from Stone. The aroma is hoppy, with some pine and earthy hop notes. The flavor is definitely hoppy, with some piney hop flavor as well as some caramel malt. This beer is very drinkable and packs great flavor into a low alcohol package.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into an SA pint glass.

A: Poured a reddish amber color with a frothy, two-finger head of off-white foam. Carbonation was nice and lacing was average.

S: Smells a bit hoppy and skunky, actually. Some sweet malts rise in the aroma of floral, piney hops.

T: Flavor is mildly sweet with a medium hop backbone. The caramel malts are light and through a slight roasted sweet flavor into the brew. Hopping is a little more aggressive than a typical red ale and lends drying finish to the brew.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied, fairly crisp, dry and smooth enough.

D: As Stone put it themselves, this is probably their one and only session ale. At 4.4% ABV and with a well-represented hop profile in the flavor, this is a very drinkable red ale.

However, I can't get over the stigma that it's basically an Arrogant Bastard Light and at $11/6-pack, I'd hope for something a little more worthwhile. Still a solid ale, but not something I'd pick up regularly or order on-tap if other Stone offerings were available.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer was a surprise. Lower in alcohol that most Stone beers that I have had, the flavor and the hop prowess were not diminished. The strong hop character with a slightly caramel flavor of malt made for a good combination and also made me want many more of these. Strong drinkability.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a plain old pint glass. Nice deep, dark red color, with an 1/8" head that faded away to just a skimming. Pleasant grapefruit/citrus hops with a sweet malt smell underneath. taste is a flip flop of the smell. Lots of sweet malt with a good light balance of hops. good body for the style. A little light for this time of year but I can see myself drinking a lot of these next summer. Overall a tasty, very drinkable brew. I'm always looking for full flavored lower alcohol beers and this one fits the bill perfectly.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Dark amber/semi-deep red body. Some haze to it. Three fingers of billowy white micro-bubbly froth on the side.

Pleasant semi-aggressive pine/citrus aroma. Pleasing, enticing.

Thick lush semi-sweet malt slathers the tongue. Juicy fruity builds and explodes along the sides. Nice hop bite at the swallow. Fruity aftertaste with a hint of bitter.

Firm just past medium mouthfeel. Easy to have two and maybe a third in a session.

A big tasty amber from Stone, definitely worth trying.

2.08/5  rDev -46%

Amber colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is floral hops.Taste is pine and grapefruit.This taste like a mix of a beer and a pine cleaner.This is not something I would recommend or purchase again.Ahhh nothing like the taste of PineSol early in the morning.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a 20oz. glass shaker...

A - reddish amber color with a rich, off-white colored head. Not much there in the way of lace...

S - I could smell the hops when I was pouring this...beautiful floral aroma with a little citrus...like putting your nose in a bag of fresh hops

T - Good balance for how much hop aroma there is...more on the sweet malty side rather than bitter...definitely a sweet aftertaste. It doesn't taste as light as its lower alcohol content would suggest.

M - on the lighter side...smooth with little carbonation...oily sweet rather than dry.

D - this would make a super session beer IMO.

I haven't had a Stone that I didn't like...going to have to drink and review more!

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

This is the last of my reviews kept on paper after the early October data loss, it's nice to be back and I can't wait to do a review in real time! According to my notes, this Stone had a tan head, one finger, with nice lace. Auburn colour, rich chestnut tones.

Despite a BB date of August 9th, the hop aroma's continue to dominate with citrus rind edge, on the lemon rind side. Taste very much like white grapefruit, sharp bitter notes, malt finish that lingers brings it together quite nicely. Nicely balanced with the hops meeting a good malt balance. Lively mouthfeel, the low ABV makes this even more attractive as a sessional.

Stone comes through again, good stuff ... and I just noticed I happen to be wearing their T shirt thanks to biegaman bringing me a souvenir from his visit to the brewery, thanks Jan, much appreciated!

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Amber color with a moderate white head - about one and a half fingers thick. Not much lacing.

Nose is hops, floral, pine. Taste is the same - very strong notes of pine and floral. Really didn't find this particularly tasty. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

I think you're really gonna have to have a thing for those floral/pine notes to enjoy this. I didn't.

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.