Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Very rich red-brown color, clear, with a white head that falls back to an oil spill of foam on the surface.

Very pleasing burnt pine cone hop smell. Really interesting wafts of sugary malt, pine-cone hops, garden soil, and dark fruit.

Very hoppy. All piney hops. Not really well balanced, much more hop bitterness than malt flavors. Finish is dry and bitter, and the pine aftertaste lasts.

Almost light bodied, well carbonated and a wee oily in the mouth.

Exceedingly drinkable. A session beer for the hop lover. Big hop flavor and bitterness and low alcohol. This is a hoppier if not the hoppiest version of an amber/red. I find it wonderfully easy to drink and thoroughly enjoyable.

budsboy, Feb 08, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A- clear light red color with a good white head

S- very light sweet grapfruit aroma and an odd tangyness

T- light sweetness with a light bitter finish not much going on for me clean but not exciting

M- even for a clean light beer it is too watery for me

D- light and clean but the bitter finish hurts the refeshing quality

humanawho, Feb 07, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a bavarian pilsner

A - red/amber with just under 4cm of off-white head. Beautiful lacing after dissipation.

S - piney and citrusy hops: grapefruit, pineapple.

T - I have no idea why this is classified as an american amber/red ale. To me this is a microbrewery version of an american adjunct lager. There was a slight sweetness once the beer hit the palate, but that gave way to a subtle hop flavor and then there was a Bud Light like flavor that I always attributed to the rice used in their beers. No adjuncts here though, so I have no idea what it was. The hops were way weaker than the nose suggested and the malt was barely noticeable. Did not taste like an Amber ale at all.

M - kind of watery, even for a beer of this size.

D - even though I didn't enjoy this beer. I'd drink it as a session beer to replace those foul tasting macros. It was pretty easy drinking and though the flavor wasn't that off-putting, it got low marks because it did not seem like an Amber Ale at all. It seemed more like a Stone attempt at a macro style beer. The only possible way that this beer got a Gold at the Great American Beer Festival would be if no other beers entered in its category. Stones beer continue to disappoint me.

bowersdm, Feb 06, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

My first experience with Stone was one I'll never forget - a thorough flogging from their monarch the Arrogant Bastard. It was a big, bruiser of a beer that, somehow strangely masochistically, led me to try the Double Bastard weeks later. It was a fight that although I felt I was well prepared for, probably went to the DB when it came time for the judges to make a decision. A little torn and battered, I decided to take a break from Stone for a while.

Then came today, when I walked into my fav beer store to the surprise of seeing this beer sitting on the shelves pronouncing an ABV of only 4.4% If out of nothing else than sheer curiousity, I had to try this Arrogant "little" Bastard.

And boy am I happy I did!! This is an AWESOME session beer. Don't let the 4.4% deter you. The nose of this beer is full of nice malts and a great dose of piney, christmas tree hops. The flavor is bright, dry, and crisp and is totally drinkable. At the end of my glass, sticky lacing was clung all over the place.

This is a great everyday drinker. I can't say that I'm not a little shocked to see this from Stone, but way to go. Finally a session beer from these guys!!

sudsface69, Feb 05, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a dark toffee color with some lacing and a quickly dissapating head.

Smells of piney leafy hops.

A significant amount of hop bitterness. Very piney tasting with little to no malt taste. Tastes like ruination light, kind of off putting but not bad.

The taste is almost too much for it to be infinitely drinkable, it's still quite drinkable though.

Not my cup o tea. Light beer feel with super strong hop flavors.

Mardukk, Feb 04, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Brown bottle with "2007 Gold Medal Winner at the Great American Beer Festival" embosssed on the neck

Poured into pint glass- Ruby-cherry color

Very nice piney-hop aroma

Taste- A bit of a letdown to be honest, a slightly hoppy very light bodied flavor that vanishes pretty quickly-leaving a lingering metallic bitterness

Is this a (dare I say it) "light" beer from the great Stone Brewing Company?? Maybe I'm wrong about this beer but I am so used to Stone's beers as being in-your-face as far as flavor is concerned. Levitation, although certainly sessionable,leaves me wanting more, especially from a Stone Brewery offering

Overall, a bit disappointing if you are expecting the usual Stone bitch-slap to the taste buds, but certainly easy to drink and sessionable at 4.4abv

hosehead83, Feb 02, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

This little brother of that Arrogant Bastard was served in an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

Appearance: The beers body pours a bright clear amber coloration. The head was a shortly lived cream coloration. The head quickly receeded into a ring of foam.

Smell: A herbal, floral, pine combination of aromas hits me in the nose. Very nice!

Taste: A flash of caramel maltyness hits my tongue and is quickly smacked away by pine resin, citrus hops going into a herbal bitterness and even into more bitterness. Very nice!...

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a fairly light body. The pine tar nature of the hops makes the flavors stick in my mouth and makes the beer seem bigger. This is a very easy beer to drink. I could see tacking some of these into a series of sessionable beers.

nlmartin, Feb 02, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Of all the Stone brews I've had, this one is easily the least challenging, likely why none of the caps told me that I am not worthy. Poured from the bottle into a trusty pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a beautifuly ruby/coppery color. A solid 1 and 1/2 finger head formed and it lasted the entire pint -- don't know if I've ever seen retention quite like that. Solid carbonation is present in the glass.

Smell: Mild and hoppy, slightly piney.

Taste: Nice piney bitterness, but far from overpowering in the hop department. Typically I would expect something form Stone to kick me in the teeth, but this one is especially mild. I find a slight matliness in the far back of it of the drink as well, but it's very subtle.

Mouthfeel: A little thing actually. A slight stickiness to it, but not much presence overall.

Drinkability: Kind of mediocre when it comes to Stone, but overall it isn't a bad beer. I probably won't go out of my way to get this in the future, but I really don't mind drinking it. The low ABV would easily allow for a fair amount to be consumed in a sitting, so easily sessionable.

bamadog, Feb 02, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

12 ounce bottle, best by 4/9/09. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/copper color with a half-inch off-white head. Lacing and head retention are both average. It smells like piney and grassy hops, along with a little bit of malt. Taste is the same as the aroma, pine and grassy hops with a bit of malt. There's also a nice lingering hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit oily and has good carbonation. Drinkability is good, I think it's a decent choice as a session beer. I didn't know what to think of this beer at first, a Stone beer at just 4.4% ABV? The flavor is good and it's easy to drink, so that's definitely a good thing. But for the price I don't think I'm getting my money's worth. With that being said, I definitely wouldn't turn one of these down but I don't think I would buy it very often.

bluejacket74, Feb 01, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

12 oz undated bottle - 2007 gold medal winner it says

A - Pours a brown to almost amber hue. Very "red ale"ish. Head formation is moderate, with about a millimeter of pearly white foam hanging out on top. Carbonation overall appears light however.

S - Incredibly hoppy nose on this beer - took me completely by surprise. I would estimate this to be some nice Amarillo hops. Pretty much dominates the smell. Some phenolic impressions hit me - but how can that be with this low octane beer?

T - Starts off with some sweetness, but only for a split second. Develops a floral hop note mid-stream, very assertive. Finishes with an incredible bitter bite. Very strong. Perhaps not to style, but I guess this is a west coast red eh? Aftertaste is grassy from some kind of dry hopping.

M - moderate body - not thick and not thin. Some sting sourced from the higher carbonation levels. The oily hop residue is pronounced on the tongue in the leftovers.

D - Very light abv makes it very easy to drink. However, like the porter I had last week, I find that the hops run so against the grain that I can't find it to be more than a one or two at a time beer.

I was going to save my hoppy beer for the finale tonight - guess it sneaked on me early. Clearly Stone is a good go to for delivery of the ol' Alpha acid, but I have to say if I would want it in every beer I would always order a ruination.

katan, Jan 30, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a dark ruby red color. Head is creamy and tannish colored. Head has good retention and leaves very little lacing.

S- Touch of malts but just like most Stone brews a nice amount of hops (piney and citrus).

T- A nice hop bite to it but nothing over the top. Sweet malts balance everything out.

M- Light in body and good carbonation.

D- Has a good amount of bold flavours even with the lower ABV. Very easy to drink.

nrbw23, Jan 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Draft at Dilly Deli.

Poured a clear copper color with an average frothy white head that was mostly lasted and had good lacing.

Good malty and citrus hoppy aroma.

Medium body with slick dry texture and flat carbonation.

Moderate well balanced smooth flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

Good session brew.

tmoneyba, Jan 26, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance - pours a dark reddish amber, a thin covering of pale tan head. Thin but generous lacing. Great clarity, robust looking.

Aroma - lots of herbal, grassy hop aroma. Reminds me of the dry-hopped St. Rogue's Red. Intense enough to exude minty notes. Easily the most fragrant 4.4% beer I've ever sniffed.

Taste - whatever malts were used here are completely out-maneuvered by the intense herbal, grassy hops. A decent citrus character, turning bitter on the swallow. And more bitter still. Gets darn near medicinal on the aftertaste, continuing the dry, bitter bit on the finish. Ends a little too bitter but I still like it for the most part.

Mouthfeel - crisp and with a light smoothness. Sports a touch of heaviness as well.

Drinkability - actually, this is a little *too* flavorful for extended sessioning in my book, but a fantastic option after some extended sampling, when you want something that can hold its own taste-wise after some prior potent/bigger brews. Toasted on Inauguration Day, 1/20/09. Congrats to President Obama and his cabinet!

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 24, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Fruits of my first trade -- thanks, webhank.

Pours deep russet, quite clear, with an off-white two finger head. The smell is pine, moss, and toffee. The taste is eucalyptus, leatherwood honey, smoke, and tangelo -- very complex, with a dry finish. The mouthfeel is excellent, finely carbonated but robust, with a medium body. It's powerful for such low-alcohol beer, but the drinking is rich, full, and easy.

gory4d, Jan 24, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

Root Cellar just got these in last Friday and DrewOSU was kind enough to buy a sixer of these - thanks, man (Cause I'm broke at the moment!). 12 ounce brown bottle with best before date of 04-09-09.

Pours a bright, clear red with a dark tan, creamy, compact bubbles. Great spider web lacing and good head retention.

Hops and slightly sweet malts on the nose. The hops are surprisingly pretty aggressive - they're a nice mix of floral and earthy.

Medium to high carbonation with unusual flavor profile throughout my swallow (big in the beginning then dropping to mild in the finish). Big initial blast of hops like snagged off the nose. The sweeter malt "redness" of the beer comes through in the middle and finishes with a light bitterness. Flavor is big in the beginning, then drops quickly to an almost watered down medium to finish. Hops stick around in the aftertaste, as well.

I am loving the low ABV on this beer, but the price tag ($9.49 per six-pack) is a deterrent for me. It's like a solid IPA in the beginning and end feeling like an Amstel Light. Strange, but drinkable.

beachbum1975, Jan 22, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Clear dark amber color with a nice frothy head that builds nicely.

The smell of hops are definitely up front and present in this one as with all Stone beers.

The taste hits hard with the piny and citrus hops but there's a slight compliment of sweetness that's a nice compliment.

This smooth easier drinking Stone could be the most sessional hoppy beer I've tried. Though I don't know if I'd session a hoppy beer, but if I'm ever in the mood this would be a treat. All in all great beer that just misses being exceptional.

bfields4, Jan 15, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle poured into an unlabeled 16oz pint glass

Appearance: Pours smooth Solid red amber, very creamy moderate head with great retention and persistent lacing throughout the review process. Great looking beer.

Nose: Nice sharp nose of citrusy hops and mellowing malt in the background

Taste: Mild sweetness followed by a smack of welcomed hop bitterness that lingers in the back of the mouth without over powering the palate. Very small detectable alcohol warmth as expected.

Notes: Not one of the most complex or full flavored beers from Stone, but certainly one of my favorites. The taste packed into this 4.4% brew is what really sells it. Very drinkable, it is the quintessential session brew in my book.

Needsbeer, Jan 06, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Reviewed 12/24/2008 (bottle):

Pours a pretty clear, reddish-brown colored body with a off-white light brown soapy head, small but lasting. Citrusy aroma, hoppy, dusty, malty maybe some hoppiness. Watery palate, dusty, hoppy taste. Light on the harsh carbonated taste.

jujubeast6000, Jan 06, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at the Stone World Bistro and Gardens. Decided to give it a try since I had never heard of a Stone beer being below 6% ABV.

A dark copper color with a bit of a chill haze.

Smells of sharp hops and grainy malts, similar to arrogant bastard.

Taste is woody and grassy with a distinct caramel flavor along for the ride. Hints of roasted nuts. Complex and delicious for the palette from top to bottom, without having to work too hard to appreciate it.

Highly drinkable. This is Arrogant Bastard Jr. for sure.

Just like Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, this beer shows the brilliance of the craft beer movement. A crisp, flavorful and versatile session beer. I would love to see this become their flagship session beer and available nationally.

TrevorGW, Dec 30, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -11.1%

A good red ale, but a red ale, a style that I tend not to care for.
Some tea bitterness, some scone and biscuit type flavors. Caramel edges and lingering pine hops on the palate.
Fans of the style will enjoy this but I don't find it particularly accessible.

ommegangpbr, Dec 22, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Tap @ the Stone Beer Garden. They offer this from time to time. Pours dark brown with a short off-white head. Drier malt aroma but now with the chinooks. Toasted hop flavor (new) that gives it an ashy/dry flavor. Biscuity malt/hop mix. Dry, clean finish.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

355ml bottle bought from BeersofEurope.co.uk...

Poured a deep amber red colour. Light mocha head poured fairly thick and foamy with a frothy topping then faded quite quickly to wispy covering with thick edging that climbs up the glass... no real carbonation... some decent lacing lines...

Aroma - Quite nutty, lots of grassy and piney hops, sweet caramel and biscuit malts, quite bready, some over ripe fruits (apples, some pears, the faintest hint of banana), light molasses, floral notes...

Taste pretty much mirrors the aroma - lots of piney and floral hops backed by caramel malts and biscuity notes... quite bready too..

M&D - Quite sharp and dry... light / medium bodied... A good sessionable brew at only 4.4%...

Overall - A decent enough Amber ale - not something i'd rush back to but certainly worth a try...

mdagnew, Dec 12, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was really excited to try this one last night and I wasn't disappointed. I was happy to maybe find a really good beer under 5% and this is one of those.
A: Golden/amber color with a small head.
S: Hops with a hint of malt in the background. With the smell I was thinking another hopbomb from Stone.
T: WOW, what a nice drinking beer. The hops were great for an Amber, tasty malty goodness
M: Was good, didn't blow me away with overall feel but it is a 4.4% beer
D: I really like this beer for a "buy a sixer on the way home" beer! Im very glad I bought this single!

madtowndmb1, Dec 11, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

A normal beer from stone... hmm while this beer certainly is quite good I can't help but compare it to some of stone's 'bigger' beers.

The appearance is nice, very dark amber. Almost like maple sugar. Head dissipates quickly, with a good amount of lacing down the glass.

Smell is the best part of the beer. Nice sharp hops with a hint of malty sweetness in the background. Smells just like one of stone's 'bigger' beers.

Taste is definitely more subdued than most of stone's offerings. Not a bad thing at all though. Good hop presence which is balanced well with the It doesn't linger on the palate long. Which makes it a good session beer, not as good for a one or two beer night though; which are way more common for me nowadays.

This is a solid brew, as expected from stone.

recommended

toweringpoo, Dec 10, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Bought a six pack the other day and poured one into a pint glass.

This dark brown brew had almost no head and what little there was fizzled out almost immediately. Hmmm. There was adequate lacing, however, in the duration of the drink. Good carbination.

There was a pleasant citrus aroma and some honeysuckle.

The malty flavor was pleasant, not too rich, and was followed up by a light hop finish. It was sort of an herbalish-sweet type of mixture, not bad at all, but not great.

Mouthfeel is good, it didn't really stick to my tounge or provide an aftertaste.

I could drink a lot of these, but honestly prefer the other offerings from Stone, such as their Arrogant Bastard and Smoked Porter. The Levitation ale, however, is a good session beer if you want good flavor without the high alcohol found in Stone's other brews.

davexisxrabid, Nov 17, 2008
Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.