Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,195 | Hads: 3,845
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Nice reddish amber color.

Good two fingered head at initial pour.

Nice lacing left after the beer was gone.

Hops- citrus, slighty piney, grapefruity.

Malt- not as present but still noticeable, toasted, caramel on the finish.

A good, drinkable option from the Stone Brewery. I could drink a few of these. (336 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber color with a big cloudy puffy marshmellowy head. Smells like hops and citrus. A somewhat chewy, thin mouthfeel. Very refreshing. Hops and citrus are balanced nicely with a faint malty undertone. Lots of flavor and super sessionable, a great beer for working in the yard on a hot day. (302 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.

Appearance: Bronze reddish color with a nice head and good lacing. Decent carbonation.

Smell: Nice semi-sweet caramel smell. There are citrus and floral tones.

Taste: Very nice taste. It has a slight bitterness toward the beginning that fades and finishes smooth. It is clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice crisp feel that goes down smooth. There is a mild carbonation and it leaves a mild bitter after taste.

Overall: Very good beer that I would drink again. It has a nice complexity and is easy to drink. It was a little pricey but I would definitely drink again. (609 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Clear dark amber. With a wispy head.

S: Nice malty, bready smell. Some fruit is in there like apples.

T: Carmel malts. Pear and apple cider fruitiness / tanginess. Nice hop bitterness afterwards. Pretty balanced in my opinion.

M: Light to medium body. A little dry.

D: Real good. Sluggin it back. Nice drink. (315 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance - Beautiful deep amber color. I got very little head and no lacing. I do not know if it was the bottle or the pour.

Taste - Hops with a good malty back to it. A very balanced flavor. Has a nice dry finish.

Smell - Hoppy, fruity, light grain with some malt.

Mouthfeel - Nice body for the type of beer. Just a nice smooth feel.

Drinkability - A nice beer all around. (381 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark amber color with a 2 finger head.

S - Very hoppy smell for an amber beers.

T - The beer smells hoppier than it taste. You can taste the hops towards the end of the drink. Real smooth beer.

M - Thin body and medium carbination.

O - No Doubt to why this is an award winning beer. Would definitly buy again but I can no longer get Stone in Wisconsin. (395 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.1%

A coppery red ale that pours out fast and has a tan head that dissipates fast. A pleasant brew on the whole, that combines both bitter and sweet flavors. It'll never be one of my favorites, but it's a half-notch or so above the middle of the curve. I'll probably buy it again. (276 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance - Pours a dark amber/orange from the bottle with a lacey off-white head that is retained very well.

Smell - A pleasing smell of citrus hops, pine, grass.

Taste - A mild bitterness that ends in a bit of a sour note. There is some taste of grapefruit that shows itself. Not too much malt characteristic.

Mouthfeel - Fairly watery.

Drinkability - A somewhat disappointing beer from Stone. Not at all undrinkable, but it lacks a lot of complexity in the taste. The smell seems to promise a lot that just isn't followed up once it is drunk. Decent, but probably won't be having this one again. (612 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Poured from a brown 12 ounce bottle with a painted label. Blurb on the back makes for some interesting and entertaining reading as the brew settles. Color is a deep reddish brown. Formed a rather meek off-white head which quickly faded to a light lace.

S: Citrusy, a bit of malt, some yeastiness as well.

T: Muted, at the front of the tongue, but then a nice hop bitterness kicks in through the swallow. A light roasted malt character.

M: Tight and light carbonation, light to medium body.

D: This is a sessionable brew in my opinion and that's a refreshing twist from Stone. This is a beer you could drink several of with some buddies without getting completely blitzed. I'll be getting some more of these. (714 characters)

This beer was great! Easily one of my top 5 for flavor and drinkability. This is definitely going to be a regular in my arsenal from now on. I love the excellent quality of this beer compared to beers with a comparable ABV. I suggest this to anyone wanting to broaden out to bolder more adventurous beers because it is a tame stroll into the depths of Stone beers which I have found all to be good to date in my experiences. (424 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -6.2%

Golden yellow color with a small frothy head. Slight floral smell would soon reveal itself in a subdued sharp floral hoppiness. Some carbonation gives it crispness. Have to imagine this is a toned down version of an over hopped stone offering. It works well as a warm up, session beer, or beer that goes with just about any food. But a bit thin to be a standout brew. (367 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%

A: This poured a nice dark red amber color with about a fingers worth of head.

S: This has a nice citrus flavor although it is light as in it took a pretty deep breath to take it in.

T: This is a bit difficult to describe. Very good. Great caramel malty flavoring finishing off with a hoppy bitterness and citrus taste. I'm very surprised to get this taste out of something with such a low ABV. Hence the name right?

D: I could totally sit down to a few of these. One of these hot summer nights I'll have to pick up a few of these. (535 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Stone was, until its invasion into the Chicago market, a brewer I had heard about from West Coast friends and never tasted. I'm glad it came, though only a couple of their beers have been exceptional to my tastes. Most of them have been good, and certainly their amber is one of those.

A: Looking good. This has a nice burnt ruby color, nice clarity, and a respectably frothy head two fingers tall. The head doesn't stick around, but it's got the nice layer of foam. It's nice to look at.

S: All hops and I'm thinking cascade. A Northwest ale, not a doubt. there. That's all I have for the smell.

T: Yes, this is yummy. The hops are prominent, but I taste amber malts. Toasty malts, plenty of bready character, crystal malt.

M: Another good one. This manages to be crisp and have a creamy end.

D: Drinkability is its strong suit. Low alcohol, crisp, quenching .... ahhh, but wait, it still tastes like a really good ale. Drinkability is what Levitation has to teach the amber ales.

My impression is that it's good, but I won't hand over its medals. I'll order it again. The best I had, and if you can find it, it's very well worth ordering, is the Epic '08. I'll review it soon. (1,185 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

P: Brown bottle with enjoy by date that you can hardly see. Really cool design on the bottle. Has the 2007 gold medal winner for the great american beer festival stamp on it. plus on the back a bunch of stuff to read.

A: 1 and 1/2 head that retains well. Dark amber color.

S: First thing you notice is the hops. lots of it. also maybe signs of caramel malt, and a grass smell.

T: Again, a lot of hops to it. also a sweet caramel taste.

M: Light to Medium body, medium carbonation.

D: i found it to be a little filling. i could not drink a whole lot of these. i might buy it again. not first pick. (602 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +19.5%

A: OMG. So much foam, 3 fingers at least of off white thick foam. Foam sticking to the sides of the pint glass. The color is a dark golden and it is cloudy.

S: Sweet malts, bready. Makes my mouth water

T: I didn't get too much hops, just a hint, sweet and malty, like a complex brown ale. One of the most delicious beers I've ever tried. Slight sour notes on the finish.

M: Decent mouthfeel, we'll say medium.

D: Off the charts. This is the best session craft beer in history! Day in and day out, this is my goto beer. I absolutely love it, especially if I am just chillin' and not feeling adventurous or in the mood for a fancier, less drinkable brew. (657 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours a dark, yet slightly opaque, brown. The head is a fluffy white with very nice retention and leaves a beautiful lacing. Hops and a 'beady' smell are present in the nose. The hops in the aroma don't manifest themselves in the flavor, but there are some hints of a nuttiness. The finish is almost nonexistent. This would make a great cold weather session beer because it's dark and flavorful but still light and has a pretty low ABV. (446 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle poured into glass chalice.

A: Deep amber, burgundy red. It is clear, but dense. Slight head that dissipates quickly.

S: Citrus, piney hops can be smelled throughout with a slight malty odor.

T: Taste of sweet, oaky malt backed by slightly intense citrus hops. This basically tastes like a toned down Oaked Arrogant Bastard. So it tastes great!

M: Smooth! Slight aftertaste of hops and malt, which is a good thing.

D: These could be drank down all night -- i.e. great session brew. And with the 4.4%ABV, this makes a great alternative for people who enjoy Stone's AB, but don't want to be toasted after a few.

Another great beer from Stone! (661 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance: Dark red amber. Medium head retention. Overall a very good looking beer.
Smell: Floral hops predominate. Smells like a "light" arrogant bastard.
Taste: Not what I expected from a Stone brew. Very lighlty hopped (when compared to a regular Stone offering. The barley is more pronounced in this beer.
Mouthfeel: Very easy on the mouth. Good carbination.
Drinkability: A good session brew from Stone. Will try again. (426 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured aggressively from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. No visible dates on the bottle.

A: I'd call it more brown than red, but it does have some amber red/orange highlights around the bottom. 1 finger of off-white head has respectable retention and lacing. Lots of sediment visible in this, so I assume it's unfiltered. Hopefully this doesn't cause regrets in the morning.

S: Hops, piney hops. Not too strong or too weak on the nose, doesn't have much depth though and doesn't cause much of a pique in curiosity, smells pretty straightforward.

T: It pretty much tastes like an IPA or APA. Hoppy and piney. Stays consistent throughout the experience, so it finishes the same way it starts. I detect a hint of malts in there to try to counter the hops, but it's not very prevalent. Again, not much depth or character to this one. Maybe a step above average.

M: Light bodied, medium carbonation, a bit watery, not a lot of gravity to this one at all. I half expected it to be a little more full bodied given the large amount of sediment throughout this beer, but it didn't deliver. A peg above average at best.

O: I have really liked almost all of the Stone products I have tried. I think Stone is a fine craft brewery, but this one lacked a lot of character and depth that I've come to expect from Stone brews. I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed in this beer, but it definitely missed the mark and failed to impress. There just isn't anything about this beer that separates it from others of similar styles.

This is not a bad beer, but it's one of the only Stone beers I've tried that I can safely say I will not be likely to purchase again. (1,651 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pored from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Amber copper color, very clear about 1 finger of head that vanished fairly quickly.

S - Great citrusy hop aroma, grapefruit, lemon, slightly tropical with a decent amount of caramel malts.

T - Bitter grapefruit starts, caramel malts in the middle with a somewhat floral hop note at the end.

M - Fairly light body, medium to high carbonation with a fairly dry finish.

O - This was pretty tasty. More hop forward than I was expecting which was nice. The only place it fell short was in the mouth feel which I cant ding it to much being such a low abv. This would be a great session beer that I could drink all day and not get too hammered. (692 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

I tried this on tap at the brewery in Escondido and was blown away: this beer was far more flavorful and satisfying than any 4.4% ABV beer has a right to be. Once I got back to Portland I was kinda bummed that I didn't see it on any store shelves. So, when I happened to see a six-pack at New Seasons, I jumped on it. Hurrying home, I eagerly cracked one open. Disappointment followed.

Appearance was just as at the brewery - pleasant clear amber, good head and lacing. No problems here.
Cognitive dissonance began at the nose - yes, it smelled nice with hops coming through clearly. But the pungent hoppiness I marveled over at the brewery was muted.
Taste confirmed what the nose had suggested. This is a very hoppy beer for what it is, but the hop flavor is a bit two-dimensional. No real depth to the malt, either. Nothing offensive here, mind you; just not what I was eagerly anticipating.
Drinkability is good - with only 4.4% ABV, that's hardly surprising. But I am honestly starting to wonder if the sample I tried at the brewery wasn't something else poured in error.

Like I said: not bad, and probably one of the hoppiest session beers out there. But hops by themselves can't carry an entire beer. This is the proof. (1,230 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -27.7%

The style is one of my absolute favorites, and Stone has always been high quality for me. For these two reasons, I suspect that I had a bad bottle of this.

The beer poured nice with the recognizable deep red/copper color, but when I began to smell the beer and picked up only a harsh metal and not much else, I began to worry. Upon tasting it, I wasn't getting many flavors and the ones that I got were very muted.

I pictured the beer as a session beer, so I wasn't expecting any offensive tastes. The tastes that were there were a bland roasted flavor and a very faint, thin hop bitterness.

The beer is very new to the area so the bottle couldn't have been too old. I plan to revisit it on tap when I get the chance to see if I just had a bad bottle. It wasn't an awful or undrinkable beer, but it wasn't a pleasant experience and I walked away pretty disappointed. (872 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance - Lovely dark amber color shaded towards ruby at the middle. Slightly off-white head of substantial build lasts quite some time, being reinforced with a bunch of bubbles each sip.

Smell - Citric hops dominate here with hints of grainy or bready malt.

Taste - This stuff is good! Toasty and bready malts compete with citric hops and piney hop bitterness each and every sip. The malts are substantial and tend towards biscuit or toasted bread. Not much towards caramel or similar flavors. The hops are very citric and medicinal, in a pleasant fashion for sure. Well balanced, the bitterness from the hops twins well with the malt backbone. Dry bitter finish lingers into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly full and thick-bodied for such a low alcohol beer, buoyed by medium carbonation.

Drinkability - The levitation's highest praise. This stuff is eminently drinkable. With only 4.4 percent alcohol this is the type of big flavored but still solidly sessionable beer I would like to see more of from stone. (1,026 characters)

12 oz bottle with Enjoy By date of 5-18-2011.

A: A dark copper hue with a light orange head, which retains somewhat well and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Wow, this is ridiculously hoppy for a 4.4% amber ale. Nice. But what else would one expect from Stone. Just what I was looking for. Some sweet malts behind the hops prepare me for what is ahead.

T: Very juicy hops at the front of the taste lead to delicious caramel malts at the back end, ultimately leading to a very delicious brew.

M: The feel is a bit thin compared to most ambers, but this is only 4.4%. Everything in this brew comes together quite nice.

O: Overall, a quality brew. 4's all across the board for this one. I appreciate what Stone did with this one. I can get my hop fix without being knocked on my ass and having no tastebuds left after three or four. Very approachable ABV. I will drink plenty of this over the coming summer months. Worth seeking out. (931 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Nice clear copper to amber and reddish. Very nice lace.

S- Hoppy and citrus. Definitely tingly on the nose.

T - Bitter with some hops. Burnt toast and foamy carbonated finish that doesn't last that long. Even though it looks like an amber ale, I really didn't taste much malt. Interesting but really closer to an IPA than a red ale.

O- Fair to middling' IPA disguised as a red ale. Kinda grows on you as you get to the tail end of the beer, but I am not sure if I would buy again. It doesn't seem to know what kind of beer it is. (535 characters)

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.