Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Levitation AleLevitation Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Levitation Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Part of the stone tasting at jungle jims with Greg Koch

A-nice amber color with almost no head
S-no suprise that it is a hoppy beer being from stone. Not much else there.
D-nice hop profile. Hoppiest session beer beer I have ever had before
M-light bodied and crisp
d-very drinkable and enjoyable. Nice session beer

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

The bottle is of course in Stone fashion a beautifully silk screened masterpiece of Gargoyle fantasy. The beer inside was poured into a tall pilsner glass and is pretty good looking too. Dark, clear amber color. Big sticky tan colored head. As I type this review the creamy head is getting better and better looking.

For being such a small beer (ABV) it really has a nice nose. I can get a bright malt smell as well as some yeast and a faint citrus hop smell. Nice!!

The taste is malty and sweet. A little orange pucker-ish. I'm kind of the big over the top IPA kinda guy so it's pretty weak for me, but I must score for the style and I think it's a pretty good amber.

Mouth is great. Silky, well carbonated. Maybe a bit dry at the end. Surprisingly not as watery as I would expect for a beer with the alcohol content of a Bud Light. Goes to show you that great brewers can do the world with so little. I have had so many beers that are classified porter or stout with half the mouthfeel as this.

Overall I really enjoyed this single 12 oz. bottle. Thanks to Jeff from my favorite bottle shop for the sample. I have overlooked this beer for years because of the price for the alcohol. Maybe I should tuck my alcoholism in my pocket next time and buy this great drinking baby of a beer.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled from a bottle with no freshness date. Cloudy amber in color - simialr to apple cider. Light citrus aroma with a hint of biscuit. Very smooth and a bit creamy, but a little on the thinner side. Citrus and light pine hop aromas with a light malty caramel and bready undertone throughout. Finishes with a lingering hop bitterness, but not unpleasantly bitter. Light and easy to drink. Less malty than other red ales I've had.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, red amber colored with a tight off white head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: fruity hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, orange

T: slight bitterness up front quickly fades to a caramel malt, toasty bread

M: on the thinner side with high carbonation

O: a refreshing red ale, low abv but high in flavor

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 400ml New Belgium branded tulip glass.

Appearance: Poures penny-copper in color with a medium-sized orange-ish head that dissipates slowly and leaves spotty lace. The beer initially shows lots of bubbles sticking to the side of the glass, but these dissipate fairly quickly.

Taste: Begins with medium bitterness, yielding to buttery sweetness. The finish is toasty with floral and citrus hints.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with heavy bitterness and a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: This is probably the worst beer I've had from Stone so far, yet it's still pretty good. Not the best Amber Ale I've had, but surely better than many. Worth a taste.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yum. This baby looks and smells wonderful. And it's so light that I can enjoy it at 11:30pm as my first beer after class on my way towards S P R I N G B R E A K!

Of course, if I weren't a 29 year old undergraduate that might be more exciting.

The beer pours out of the bottle dated 10/12/10 (eek, I'm a bit late... will have to update this review) a lovely deep amber to brown clear bubbly drink with great clingy head. It still has a freshly hopped aroma, with a malt component that's both complex and I bet a touch more present than it would be if I hadn't let this one sit for too long.

The taste has that characteristic hops to big malts mix that good ambers carry, and although that's a positive, it sadly finishes a little astringent and not with a good bitter. The drinkability remains high though, because the low 4.4% alcohol and the balance the start and middle of the taste carry bid you to drink more.

And drink more I shall.

Wait, why is my glass empty?

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing Co.