Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Crime Alström Bros
Ratings: 434 | Reviews: 98
2.78/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Looked and smelled great. Nice heat in the nose. That heat carried forward just a tad bit for my taste. Straight heat, burning and not in a good way. They did what they said they would and create a Crime. They stuck to their word, it was hot!

3.5/5  rDev +24.1%

On tap at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Tiny particles of sediment are seen suspended in the beer after the pour. Smell is of roasted chile, fresh chile, chile juice, and raisin aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, dark fruit, raisin, roasted chile, and chile powder flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of chile heat that lingers on the palate long after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice mix of spicy chile and dark fruit qualities.

Serving type: on tap.

2.1/5  rDev -25.5%

This was not good. I contemplated marinading some sort of meat in this because it was flat out not drinkable. I like spicy beers too, this was too much. 1st Drain pour.

2.2/5  rDev -22%

I love hot and spicy food and despite the reviews I thought I'd like this beer because I've mostly been desensitized to pepper heat and I really enjoy this style. I was so wrong.
This beer was awful. I had a few sips and poured it down the drain. The only "crime" here is that this swill cost me $19 US before taxes and conversion to $CAN. Horrible!

Don't buy this beer if it's still around in your area.

1.91/5  rDev -32.3%

Had to give this a try despite my total dislike of extreme spice in my beer. It was even worse than I had imagined. I could only manage a couple sips and I'd had enough. Quite an experience though

1.92/5  rDev -31.9%

First off I love Stone and what they mean to beer in general. This beer highly degrades anything they stand for. Arrogant bastard was a mess up turned into a beautiful beer! Completely agreed. This beer is a travesty. A complete over reaching disgusting marketing scam on the beer public in general. This is like getting a prized plate of Kobe beef bred in the highlands of the Himalayas and "oh by the way we just covered it in cheap fucking jalapeno peppers!". Are you retarded!!! Its a soul crushing, pallet wasting pile of shit. The fact that the brothers gave it an 80 makes me want to hate them. How? Just How! This is everything they say they stand against. Id like to get them and everyone stone in a room and watch them drink this atomic fueled overspiced garbage and tell me its an 80! Politics. This is everything we all should fight against. An obvious over stimulated over marketed beer that makes no sense on a beer lovers pallet. Shame on you Stone.

4.12/5  rDev +46.1%

Again this series has been misjudged, it is great for what it is. its a damn spicy gimmicky beer, but it is great. much more tolerable than punishment i enjoyed these beers

2.92/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Makes a great addition to chili

2.02/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This beer had a bit too much heat for me. It isn't too bad on the palate until you swallow. Then the heat really surges.

1.42/5  rDev -49.6%

When I was 17, one of my friends sprayed pepper spray in my basement. Drinking this was a terrible reminder of that day.

4.05/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Holy crap. What a beer. This was very different with the powerful taste. It was worth trying but hard to drink more than two glasses of due to the power of the spice.

4.47/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah I rated it high. Its everything the label says and then some! If you don't like heat, you wont enjoy this, but if you enjoy hot hot peppers your in for a treat!

3.57/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

good spicy brew worth a try

3.54/5  rDev +25.5%

Not sure what everyone was expecting when they bought this but I like hot and this beer came through .

4.56/5  rDev +61.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Peppers were still there after letting it sit

2.83/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Not really sure how to rate this objectively. The smell is almost exactly like Tabasco Sauce. The taste is very similar to Tobasco as well. For the style, it is probably well done, but I couldn't drink more than a couple sips. Not my taste.

Can't taste the bourbon at all, the peppers completely overpower everything.

3.52/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a caged and corked bomber into a snifter glass. Beer aged for approximately one year.
Aroma-Full-on spicy chilies and malt note in the background.
Taste-A literal "hot mess". Even with, or maybe because of, a year in the cellar this brew was just too much heat and pepper flavor to achieve any real balance in my opinion. I split this brew with another veteran craft beer drinker and we were hard pressed to finish it all. We didn't have the tastebuds left to try the "Punishment". I'll give that one another year and see what happens. Here's hoping.

1.7/5  rDev -39.7%

just awful. i enjoy spicy food, not spicy peppers in my beer. instant heartburn, complete waste of time and money.

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect?

4.35/5  rDev +54.3%

Not for those who do not enjoy heat. The Oaked bastard taste comes out very strongly, followed by an intense heat which lingers, and settles into the glorious lucky bastard finish. Fantastic.

2.48/5  rDev -12.1%

overpowering pepper flavor, bourbon taste is almost demolished and barely perceptible. A sipping brew for those that like heat, lots of heat. But this bastard was destroyed (ruined per Stone). Rather than waste the rest, I used the 2nd half of the bottle to marinade a skirt steak for Carne Asada, interesting enough, here the bourbon barrel flavor came out stronger than the peppers. Although this is a rather expensive marinade and still was not up to my usual skirt steak seasoning, although it was interesting.

3.3/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is spicy...For me, it wasn't enjoyable to drink. I imagine, for those who love pepper, this is great. Even thought this wasn't very enjoyable to drink, it is well made. I love hot and spicy food, but this isn't my cup of tea.

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%

I have enjoyed most things I have purchased from Stone over the years. This (and Punishment) were the expensive exceptions. The peppers were over-powering, to the point that I couldn't enjoy the ale and had to get rid of it.

3.75/5  rDev +33%

Definitely not for someone who hates heat. Somewhat of a novelty beer in that it has tons of punch to it. However, I have no problem eating a hot pepper. Taste the bourbon barrel aging, however the capsaicin does take over a little too much. The beer will not burn your face and make you cry for water however, though it would be great if the heat was turned down a bit for the next batch if there is one.

3.72/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a cork and cage bottle into a goblet. Bottles in October 2013.

Pours a deep amber color with a nice head that dissipates rather slowly. Great lacing around the glass and medium head retention.

Smells stale hops and hot peppers. Some sweet malt is detected but the pepper oil really stands out.

HOLY HOT! If you're not a hot pepper fan stay away! If you are a hot pepper fan then REJOICE!!! It's definitely a sipping beer, but give me some beans and rice or a nice bland taco and you won't need sauce! Just take a sip of this!

Mouthfeel is great, again if you like HOT peppers. Nice heat and good pepper sensations on the palate. The heat lingers for quite some time following.

Overall a great chile beer! I will age the other bottle I have to see if it changes over a year or two.

Cheers!

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.