Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

to view more.
Ratings: 428 | Reviews: 94
1.91/5  rDev -32.3%

Had to give this a try despite my total dislike of extreme spice in my beer. It was even worse than I had imagined. I could only manage a couple sips and I'd had enough. Quite an experience though

1.92/5  rDev -31.9%

First off I love Stone and what they mean to beer in general. This beer highly degrades anything they stand for. Arrogant bastard was a mess up turned into a beautiful beer! Completely agreed. This beer is a travesty. A complete over reaching disgusting marketing scam on the beer public in general. This is like getting a prized plate of Kobe beef bred in the highlands of the Himalayas and "oh by the way we just covered it in cheap fucking jalapeno peppers!". Are you retarded!!! Its a soul crushing, pallet wasting pile of shit. The fact that the brothers gave it an 80 makes me want to hate them. How? Just How! This is everything they say they stand against. Id like to get them and everyone stone in a room and watch them drink this atomic fueled overspiced garbage and tell me its an 80! Politics. This is everything we all should fight against. An obvious over stimulated over marketed beer that makes no sense on a beer lovers pallet. Shame on you Stone.

4.12/5  rDev +46.1%

Again this series has been misjudged, it is great for what it is. its a damn spicy gimmicky beer, but it is great. much more tolerable than punishment i enjoyed these beers

2.92/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Makes a great addition to chili

2.02/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This beer had a bit too much heat for me. It isn't too bad on the palate until you swallow. Then the heat really surges.

1.42/5  rDev -49.6%

When I was 17, one of my friends sprayed pepper spray in my basement. Drinking this was a terrible reminder of that day.

4.05/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Holy crap. What a beer. This was very different with the powerful taste. It was worth trying but hard to drink more than two glasses of due to the power of the spice.

4.47/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah I rated it high. Its everything the label says and then some! If you don't like heat, you wont enjoy this, but if you enjoy hot hot peppers your in for a treat!

3.57/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

good spicy brew worth a try

3.54/5  rDev +25.5%

Not sure what everyone was expecting when they bought this but I like hot and this beer came through .

4.56/5  rDev +61.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Peppers were still there after letting it sit

2.83/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Not really sure how to rate this objectively. The smell is almost exactly like Tabasco Sauce. The taste is very similar to Tobasco as well. For the style, it is probably well done, but I couldn't drink more than a couple sips. Not my taste.

Can't taste the bourbon at all, the peppers completely overpower everything.

3.52/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a caged and corked bomber into a snifter glass. Beer aged for approximately one year.
Aroma-Full-on spicy chilies and malt note in the background.
Taste-A literal "hot mess". Even with, or maybe because of, a year in the cellar this brew was just too much heat and pepper flavor to achieve any real balance in my opinion. I split this brew with another veteran craft beer drinker and we were hard pressed to finish it all. We didn't have the tastebuds left to try the "Punishment". I'll give that one another year and see what happens. Here's hoping.

1.7/5  rDev -39.7%

just awful. i enjoy spicy food, not spicy peppers in my beer. instant heartburn, complete waste of time and money.

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect?

4.35/5  rDev +54.3%

Not for those who do not enjoy heat. The Oaked bastard taste comes out very strongly, followed by an intense heat which lingers, and settles into the glorious lucky bastard finish. Fantastic.

2.48/5  rDev -12.1%

overpowering pepper flavor, bourbon taste is almost demolished and barely perceptible. A sipping brew for those that like heat, lots of heat. But this bastard was destroyed (ruined per Stone). Rather than waste the rest, I used the 2nd half of the bottle to marinade a skirt steak for Carne Asada, interesting enough, here the bourbon barrel flavor came out stronger than the peppers. Although this is a rather expensive marinade and still was not up to my usual skirt steak seasoning, although it was interesting.

3.3/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is spicy...For me, it wasn't enjoyable to drink. I imagine, for those who love pepper, this is great. Even thought this wasn't very enjoyable to drink, it is well made. I love hot and spicy food, but this isn't my cup of tea.

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%

I have enjoyed most things I have purchased from Stone over the years. This (and Punishment) were the expensive exceptions. The peppers were over-powering, to the point that I couldn't enjoy the ale and had to get rid of it.

3.75/5  rDev +33%

Definitely not for someone who hates heat. Somewhat of a novelty beer in that it has tons of punch to it. However, I have no problem eating a hot pepper. Taste the bourbon barrel aging, however the capsaicin does take over a little too much. The beer will not burn your face and make you cry for water however, though it would be great if the heat was turned down a bit for the next batch if there is one.

3.72/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a cork and cage bottle into a goblet. Bottles in October 2013.

Pours a deep amber color with a nice head that dissipates rather slowly. Great lacing around the glass and medium head retention.

Smells stale hops and hot peppers. Some sweet malt is detected but the pepper oil really stands out.

HOLY HOT! If you're not a hot pepper fan stay away! If you are a hot pepper fan then REJOICE!!! It's definitely a sipping beer, but give me some beans and rice or a nice bland taco and you won't need sauce! Just take a sip of this!

Mouthfeel is great, again if you like HOT peppers. Nice heat and good pepper sensations on the palate. The heat lingers for quite some time following.

Overall a great chile beer! I will age the other bottle I have to see if it changes over a year or two.

Cheers!

Plenty of heat! Very situational beer! Went well with a hearty breakfast.

4.25/5  rDev +50.7%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more!

Just plain awful... Overpowering heat and spice takes everything away from the beer. Truly is a crime... Poor showing Stone.

3.54/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled October 2013. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy reddish/brown color with some sediment floaties noticeable. There's about an inch tan head that stayed around for a long time, and a good amount of lacing. The brew smells mostly like spicy and green peppers, along with some caramel. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's the addition of a bit of oak, vanilla and bourbon that kicks in after a while. But this brew is all about the spicy peppers, it's good and hot! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating with moderate carbonation. Overall I liked this. Yeah, I finished the bottle and my eyes are watering right now, but I wouldn't mind trying this again in the future. But it's certainly a brew that I would have to be in a certain mood to drink, because it's hotter than most of the chili beers I've tried before.

to view more.
Crime from Stone Brewing Co.