Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011)
Reviews by bobhits:

The pour is hazy with minimal bubbles. A swirl provides some nice bubbles but the pour is so awful boring and blah.

It starts to have some sugar and nice aromas I think but it turns to cigaret ash tray like aromas. I want to give this a negative score.

At first you get some kinda sweet imperial ale flavors but then....instantly it turns to fire. I do'nt get ANY bourbon. I get well fire and crap.

Undrinkable.

This is the worst beer I've ever had. Budlight has more going for it. Honestly the smell of this beer is so bad that if you think smell is 1% of a beer, this is a 0 out of 100 because it's a negative 99 in smell.

Honestly, I want my damn money back. I feel this was total robbery from stone and I not kidding, I want a refund, this was too expensive to be this freaking awful. The beer should say "SUPER HOT SPICED" on the bottle. This was false advertising imo

Do not just NOT BUY THIS but I'm in favor of a petition to demand money back for anyone that didn't know HOW hot this total SHIT beer is. Sadly beer advocate won't let me score this correctly as it's a negative 1,000

Ok the final statement. This beer smells like a guy had some hot sauce and then took a massive crap and bottled it. The pour looks like fecal matter was mixed in. The beer itself was worst tasting than a McDonald. It is the worst tasting item ever made. Stone honestly at this point....I'm not sure I will ever buy another beer from them as this was honestly robbery. I'm not the kind to do such things but if I were a lesser man, I'd pop Greg the next time he's around.

I'm not going to lie I'm pretty sure had I finished a 4 oz pour i'd be vomiting right now. I can't imagine what someone would do after a full bottle, thankfully I drain poured the shit that this beer is.

bobhits, Nov 30, 2013
1.2/5  rDev -57.1%

This is indeed a crime.

A: I always give beers a 5 for appearance because I don't think the appearance of a beer should detract from its rating, If I could have given this beer 1s across the board, I would.
This one had a nice burnt amber color.

S: god awful. Smells like plastic honestly.

T: Complete mess. No pleasant taste what so ever, just hot peppers.

M: Pain? Just pain.

O: Its a shame that Stone would make such garbage, its even a bigger shame they'd make it so expensive. This bottle was $18 I think? More than $1 per ounce for a drain pour? Such a waste of money and barrels.

atomic, Dec 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more!

Ngntjp, Sep 10, 2014

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, biting jalapeno-like spice throughout. Unfortunately, the barrels/wood are tough to find.

Medium mouthfeel.

I'm very glad I tried this one, but I don't need to revisit it. Even as a lover of peppers and spicy foods, this one still isn't for me.

ehammond1, Aug 26, 2011

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

acurtis, Jan 04, 2014

ste5venla, Jun 11, 2014

Shawner, Dec 16, 2013
Crime from Stone Brewing Co.