Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011)
Reviews by scottfrie:
4.24/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle into snifter. Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a murky dirty iced tea color with some tiny floaters beneath a soft light tan head that faded I to a fuzzy collar. Spotty lacing was left down the glass.
S: Spicy pepper nose remind me of fresh green peppers with a hint of roast. Sweet caramel and a touch of hop resin is in there as well.
T: Follows the nose with flavors of the base double bastard mixed with burning and flavorful green and habanero peppers. Pepper burn is spicy and flavorful and lingers long after the swallow. The hops resin accentuates the burn. Spicy and peppery, but not oily or overly hot.
M: Medium-full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel. Surprisingly not greasy or overly boozy, or as rough as I thought it would be. Smooth overall with a nice long linger heat.
O: Call me crazy but this was actually good. I wouldn't want to drink this often, but I actually enjoyed it more than other spicy beers I've had. More depth and complexity than I was expecting.

1.2/5  rDev -57.1%

This is indeed a crime.

A: I always give beers a 5 for appearance because I don't think the appearance of a beer should detract from its rating, If I could have given this beer 1s across the board, I would.
This one had a nice burnt amber color.

S: god awful. Smells like plastic honestly.

T: Complete mess. No pleasant taste what so ever, just hot peppers.

M: Pain? Just pain.

O: Its a shame that Stone would make such garbage, its even a bigger shame they'd make it so expensive. This bottle was $18 I think? More than $1 per ounce for a drain pour? Such a waste of money and barrels.

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more!

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

3.5/5  rDev +25%

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.53/5  rDev -9.6%

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, biting jalapeno-like spice throughout. Unfortunately, the barrels/wood are tough to find.

Medium mouthfeel.

I'm very glad I tried this one, but I don't need to revisit it. Even as a lover of peppers and spicy foods, this one still isn't for me.

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.