Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect? (215 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +55.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think this beer is absolutely wonderful. The smell is insane - just really fresh chile peppers. The taste is just as good. I have to say I tasted zero barrel or bourbon, but that doesn't matter. The pepper taste is spectacular. Very hot, but not just heat, very fresh and complex. It is like you can taste each individual style of pepper. My favorite beer from Stone. (369 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +53.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really MUST be out of my mind. Really, people tell me that... I never take it seriously but looking at the rating on this and then thinking of how much I enjoy it. Wow.

I'll put this on the table to begin with though, I love spicy foods. Of course, that have the "right" amount. And my tolerance is high, but not astronomical by any means either.

Pours a deep beautiful rust. With hues of light brown, scarlet, and orange, with a thin trace of carbonation that lingers as gentle tan clouds over the surface. Very beautiful. Just what I had hoped for.

The smell whips forward with the bouquet of peppers, touches of vanilla, a hint of bourbon buried beneath, a hint of smokiness, some caramel, and maybe just the slightest touch of booze amongst the peppers. It is a bit strange, it has an odd scent that is no doubt a result of the total intermingling and peppery oiliness. But, I can certainly overlook it for the total complexity.

The taste, wow. Did I mention I like spicy foods. It comes in smokey and oily, quite earthy, dips quickly into caramel malts and then rolls with the smoke into the peppers that twist and turn with a certain crispness. There is a vanilla and bourbon tone that upholds them as the heat increases. The delicate notes of char reside with the sweet malt tones and then a pleasant heat is left on the lips and along the tone and in the throat a bit. The first sip is a bit of a shocker. But I am completely dumbfounded by the mounting and lingering heat and how with each sip I continue the entire experience again and again without losing taste. And as it warms, there are even more delicate notes of lemon and pine that begin to show up.

Mouthfeel is oily, but medium bodied and surprisingly free flowing for being a little above 9% ABV. And obviously, before I forget, oh yeah... it's hot.

Overall. I don't know, maybe I am just not a wuss. Maybe it's because I do have a high heat tolerance... maybe it's because I have not had a boatload of other pepper beers but have had enough to know what I have expected out of others over the years. This is no Cave Creek or Ghost Face Killah. This has complexity, it doesn't scorch me so bad I cannot enjoy the beer. And on a winter night like tonight, it warms you up... and really hits the spot. I would agree the price mark was steep, but I'm glad I got it. If you can't handle heat, don't eff'n buy it.

But, excuse me, there is a little smoked gouda awaiting a perfect pairing. (2,462 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +52.3%

Amazing. To forgo the usual ASTM grading I will simply think this brew through.
Going in to it I wasn't exactly sure what "with peppers added" meant, but damn was I pleased to find out.
I love spice, and have had a few beers of this nature let me down in the past.
The smell and taste and mouthfeel are amazing, to put simply.
If you like spicy things, the label should read "DRINK ME!".
One of the best brews I have had in a while now. (437 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Crime is getting a bad wrap from people who don't understand what this beer is. This beer is mouth punishing with peppers. Hot and spicy, the way Stone wanted it. This beer isn't meant to be consumed by one person eating cookies. It was made for small glasses and shared in good company with a cheese board. It's also fantastic to cook with; just make it a reduction and boil unflavored sausage in it. (401 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah I rated it high. Its everything the label says and then some! If you don't like heat, you wont enjoy this, but if you enjoy hot hot peppers your in for a treat! (167 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +40.3%

Not for those who do not enjoy heat. The Oaked bastard taste comes out very strongly, followed by an intense heat which lingers, and settles into the glorious lucky bastard finish. Fantastic. (191 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured into five wine glasses thanks to Chico1985 with a small white head. The cap has a foamy, frothy texture and falls fairly quickly down to just a small ring of bubbles. Lacing starts with some webs and spots but thins out beyond that.

S- Even with some age it is pretty much just a blast of fresh cut habaneros staring you down from the cutting board. Has that fumy, fruity vaporous hot pepper flesh attacking the nasal tracts. Some caramel malts, bourbon vanilla barrel and fruitiness but mostly just amazing fresh peppers.

T- Chile beer in its purest form, just like Punishment. Hot and spicy but tolerable for pretty much everyone in the room, some who are not huge chili eaters. Fruity and fume packed pepper spiciness and flavor fills the palate with just enough room for the beer aspect. Slight bit of bourbon whiskey, caramel, fruits and malts.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture. Medium carbonation provides a platform for those spicy, fruity pepper flavors to shine. Finishes with a palate coated in chili pepper heat.

It is a bit depressing how low the rating for this beer is. What do people expect in such a beer, especially a Chili beer. Crime and Punishment by Stone have captured by far the best, freshest hot pepper flavors of any chili beer I have had. Exemplary for the style, love/hate I suppose but I loved these beers. (1,374 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to my bro for buying me this as a Xmas gift. Had Punishment when it was released and loved it, glad to complete the duo. Dostoyevsky represent. Shared this was some people so I got a ~4 oz pour or so.

Appearance - Dark red, some floaties, off-white head. Thick ring and slight cap left.

Smell - Pure authentic pepper flesh. Trying to get more, hmm... caramel malt perhaps? Spicy peppers chopped up in a bowl right in front of you. Potent and rude.

Taste - Pure pepper veggie spice juice, close to biting into a deliciously hot chile. Lucky Basatrd? Bourbon? Eh maybe, not really though. It is definitely spicy but tolerable, it is not hot for the sake of being hot and has some depth, the authentic veggie vibe wins this for me. Probably a little less abrasive than Punishment overall.

Mouthfeel - Lightish feel with ample carbonation, perhaps a bit on the thinner side for the ABV, but that helps this beer go down. The alcohol is very well-hidden, perhaps the spice acts as a distraction.

Overall - Some of these rating make me lose faith in humanity. It's called Crime, Punishment is called Punishment, expect to be criminally punished, punished like a criminal, etc. I would honestly drink a small pour of this anytime, and would probably buy this somewhat often if not for the price. I am going to have to give Punishment another go sometime, and maybe save some of it for cooking. I like being punished, chiles and these beers. (1,445 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +37.1%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more! (1,022 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

We can’t explain how excited we are for this (and its counterpart). I mean Stone…chili beer…bring it on!! Coming off of all these bad reviews something just gets you psyched about it, especially since we love the Rogue beers (Voodoo) everyone loves to hate all over. Anyway, we’ll get to it. We crack the cage and cork on a bottle of Batch No 08, pouring a brew of rich mahogany into our oversized tasting snifters. A creamy one finger head of copper colored bubbles is produced, retaining well, and leaving islands and cords of lacing around the glasses. A chill haze cuts clarity harshly, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be active. The aroma gives the steely, vegetal, organic burn of pepper varietals, with particular inclusions of fresh, green jalapenos and salty, smoked tabasco sauce. It isn’t so much hot as it is fresh and heavy with peppered authenticity. This masks a base beer of charred smokiness, buttery diacetyls, warming bourbon, drying oak, brown sugar, thick caramel maltiness, maraschino cherry fruitiness, cotton candy, soy sauce, wheat crackers, and light cheddar cheese mustiness. Our first impression is that this is one spicy beverage, but not NEARLY as crazy as some people are making it out to be (unless you hold it and roll it over your tongue…then it’s like getting maced as it is driven up into your sinus…). Objectively, it is well spiced and well flavored. As we sip, the taste flashes with light caramels, toffees, and cooling vanilla bourbon respite, before a crashing dominance of jalapeno, habanero, black pepper, and smoked pepper fieriness crashes in. The middle peaks with balancing sweetness of caramel and brown sugar sweetness to meet some of the heat, along with acetone, almond extract, sesame seeds, and clean bourbon woodiness. The end squeezes out with more of the same heated bite, with bitter fusel booziness, raw and sappy oakiness, smoked pork, dried chipotle peppers, rich caramel malt sweetness, sweet twangs of ethanol undertones and straight bourbon warmth, and white rice dryness. The aftertaste breathes of caramel and coffee malt darkness, chive and scallion fumes, vanilla stem, commercial maple syrup, clean bourbon, hints of grassy hops, cool sriracha sauce, and a rolling burn of that fresh, seedy pepper medley. The body is rather thick, and carbonation is medium to high. Each sip gives nice slurp, smack, cream, and froth, but you have to be careful you don’t inhale too much and choke yourself. The mouth, chest, and abdomen are warmed entirely, with a slick, oily coating of spice through and through. The mouth otherwise experiences light pucker and reactionary salivation to help wash the capsaicin from the buds. The abv is appropriate, and as long as you take it slow, it shouldn’t kill you.

Overall, the best things about this brew are its nose and its taste. Honestly, as it seems with all the “failed” big-name brews on this site, many people ignore style and go straight for subjective, comparative value of their beers. This is the case here. The spice is wonderful, but you definitely have to be able to appreciate something spicy. It reminds us of Founders Spite series that they aged in wood with peppers. The habanero was the hottest of that series, and this reminds us of that. Crime might be a shade hotter off the bat, but by the end, it can only get so hot and it evens out. It actually smooths out with warmth quite a bit, and after the first half of the glass, allowing for much more of the bourbon and underlying caramel tastiness to shine though and balance things out. The “Bastard” series is a great base for this, affording gentle but sugary sweetness, and cooked warmth. It is so exciting to see such a hot and progressive beer like this bottled and distributed rather widely. If you want our advice, to enjoy this you must take it at face value for what it is, and not expect it to displace your current favorites. Rather, take to it with an open mind, and a love for spicy food, and you just might just find something delightful. (4,070 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle into snifter. Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a murky dirty iced tea color with some tiny floaters beneath a soft light tan head that faded I to a fuzzy collar. Spotty lacing was left down the glass.
S: Spicy pepper nose remind me of fresh green peppers with a hint of roast. Sweet caramel and a touch of hop resin is in there as well.
T: Follows the nose with flavors of the base double bastard mixed with burning and flavorful green and habanero peppers. Pepper burn is spicy and flavorful and lingers long after the swallow. The hops resin accentuates the burn. Spicy and peppery, but not oily or overly hot.
M: Medium-full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel. Surprisingly not greasy or overly boozy, or as rough as I thought it would be. Smooth overall with a nice long linger heat.
O: Call me crazy but this was actually good. I wouldn't want to drink this often, but I actually enjoyed it more than other spicy beers I've had. More depth and complexity than I was expecting. (991 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

App: Ruby and amber in color, dense and deep. Yeast and other particles flatting around even from the first pour. A cappuccino head with nice retention and good lacing. Not their most beautiful beer, but very attractive.

Nose: The dusty and musty green skins of chilies. Green and fresh. It finishes with a very faint malty foundation. Vanilla malty sweetness. What a unique nose!

Taste: Smooth up front with excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. Hotness comes in and stays until you swallow. Then, it sticks around for a bit. Perfect level of a thick carmel foundation. Oak brings the hotness and carmel together. The heat stays on your palate for a while.

Notes: This is right up to the edge of what a chile beer can be without making it bad. As far as chile beers go, this may be the best balanced I have had. (814 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +35.2%

Poured from a (pretty cool) 500 mL bottle into a snifter. This is pretty fresh, as it was bottled October 2013.

Appearance: Pours a deep cherry and leaves a finger of light tan head which slowly fades.

Smell: Wow, big ghost pepper upfront. I really do enjoy the flavor of the pepper in general, but the heat that comes with it is generally fairly unbearable - we'll see what happens here. Other hot pepper smells as well, all fresh from the garden. In the background, I do get bourbon, caramel, and some light chocolate, but beyond that I can't get much. The peppers are very dominant. I love hot peppers, and this smell is hot peppers.

Taste: Starts sweet with some caramel, vanilla and malts. Pretty quickly after this it shifts to the hot peppers and plenty of spice. The hot pepper flavor here is more of a garden variety - not as dominated by the ghost pepper as the aroma (but ghost pepper definitely still stands out the most). Definitely the spiciest beer I've ever had to this point. After the taste, the flavor of fresh hot peppers lingers, especially jalapeno. The spice lingers, but does go away faster than eating, say, a fresh habanero.

Mouth-feel: Low carbonation with a nice medium to thick body. Nice and creamy. I wish I could swish this around in my mouth longer, but the heat makes it tough. Finishes spicy.

Overall: I love the smell, and the creamy body is really nice. This beer is pretty spicy - but not TOO spicy. It does get a little painful - but that comes with the task of enjoying the flavors from hot peppers. I wish I could extract a bit more of the base beer and the barrel aspects, but the peppers dominate the profile. The very beginning of the sip is nice and sweet and must come from the barrel. An interesting beer for sure. If you don't love peppers, you will not enjoy this beer. I recommend pairing this with water and bread. (1,870 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

500 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter.
9.6% ABV, 102 IBUs,

A - While the bottle is almost black in color, the beer's clarity shows off Crime's rich ruby amber color with fantastic brilliance. A halo of ivory foam rests on the beer leaving no lace in it's wake.

S - Crime's massive blend of chilies gives the aroma a stunning sharpness that's got quite a bit of heat on it, almost setting in heartburn before it hits the stomach lining. Smooth toasted malt makes for a nice and robust base though, as Lucky Basartd barely shows more than a suggestion of it's time in bourbon barrels. I'm legitimately nervous of the first sip.

T - While Crime is undoubtedly a hot chili beer, the base of Lucky Basartd and it's rich maltiness isn't forgotten or completely destroyed by pepper flavor and heat but nicely complimentary to the mammoth level of chilies. Contradictory, there's absolutely no indication this beer has spent time in a bourbon barrel when it comes to the flavor; given a few seconds on the tongue, chili meat is all that's left.

M - This medium-bodied amber ale has a nice malty base to it but that disappears after about 1.5 seconds. At 1.6 seconds, Crime becomes one of the hottest chili beers on the market (*I'm having Punishment next) and mixes a massive amount of chili flavor with straight tongue-singing heat. With each sip I can feel the beer hit my stomach and start churning so, Tums might be in order. Additionally, my face feels slightly flush but I haven't begun to sweat from my eyelids yet so, while it'll stick around with you, Crime's heat is not insane - it's almost perfect.

O - As a disclaimer, I like spicy food. Let me back up. What I should say is that I like spicy food when everything, including the heat, works harmoniously. When something's insanely hot just to be insanely hot, it just becomes masochistic at that point. With that aside, I've been waiting for a beer like Crime for a long time. Chili beers seem to ride the fence of too little to decent affect or too poorly done to be enjoyable but, Crime manages to up the ante while being a drinkable beer. The time this chili beer has spent in bourbon barrels seems pointless considering the fact almost no attribute shows through but, the ridiculous chili flavor and heat don't completely obliterate the bastard beneath; beer is still a part of this beer. It may not be for everyone, but if you like spicy food, chances are you'll like this beer. (2,456 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +32.9%

Again this series has been misjudged, it is great for what it is. its a damn spicy gimmicky beer, but it is great. much more tolerable than punishment i enjoyed these beers (172 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +31%

Appearance: Slightly hazed copper red. Head is off-white and almost instantly drops to a wispy cap and tiny bubbly collar. No lacing. Minimal carbonation on the pour. Looks like the base beer.

Smell: Malty sweetness. Some caramel and the cooked and caramelized malt sweetness I expect from the Bastard beers. Huge push of chiles. Adds a nice vegetal aroma as well as a complex spiciness. Rich and slightly earthy. Bourbon influence is buried deep. A touch of vanilla and alcohol. A nice balance of sweet, barrel, and chile. A touch of deeper toffee thrown in the mix.

Taste: There's heat and it builds with each sip. Vegetal with a ton of chile flavor. Layers of spiciness. Hits bright up front with a potent peppery spice on the middle and a lingering spice on the back of the tongue and lips. Malts offer some sort of counter, but it's minimal. Some caramel sweetness with a touch of toffee. Bourbon influence is truly minimal. Some vanilla and oak running through the back. It's all about the peppers. Alcohol pushes through as well. It's a boozy chile beer and unapologetically so. Slight solvent-like finish thanks to the sheer spice of the pepper. Pushes hard, but the malts are a nice counterpoint to the whole experience. Slight push of oily pine on the back.

Mouthfeel: A touch creamy up front. Medium body with minimal carbonation. Clean other than the lingering heat.

Overall: Better than most Russian literature.

A solid chile beer. Spicy and then some. It's not so hot it melts your face, but it's not for the faint of heart. The peppers add a nice vegetal depth to the mix. I'll take another. (1,613 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Holy crap. What a beer. This was very different with the powerful taste. It was worth trying but hard to drink more than two glasses of due to the power of the spice. (166 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +30%

500ml corked/caged bottle poured into little sampler glasses. Currently, BeerAdvocate classifies this as a chile beer, and I'm going to review it as such. I expect chiles to be forward. And I like spicy.

Pours reddish brown, moderately clear, looks nearly flat. Almost no head, very little active carbonation. Smell is peppers. Something is sweet and caramelly in the background.

Taste is dominated by peppers. Just before the heat flash, there was a hint of that sweet and caramelly flavor, but as soon as the heat hit, that's all there was. I taste mostly habanero. There is definitely some smokey flavor. Some serious bitterness, too. If I take a sip, there's a moment where I can detect interesting flavors, and then a longer period of time where there's nothing but spice, and then that fades to a mellow smoldering pretty quickly. The smoldering lasts for a long time. In terms of my spice level, at a sipping pace, it's well within my comfort zone, but if I were to drink it faster, I think the heat would build.

Mouthfeel is silky, a little slick (I'm not including the burn as part of mouthfeel). Overall, this is my favorite chile beer. It nearly overpowers beery characteristics with the spiciness, but not quite, and the beery characteristics are interesting and tasty. (1,284 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - 3.75 - The color is an amazing dark red/mahogany when you hold it up to the light. The head initially is an off white 2 fingers but immediatedely dies down to nothing, with no lacing then obviously.
S - 4.25 - Really interesting, definitely oak, and a lot of red pepper/spicy type smell. Almost a little like hot sauce, but a lot more mild and sweet.
T - Moment of truth - Very spicy up front but then dies down pretty quick, you can definitely taste the hops in the background and the oak barrels. Definitely has a sweet caramely malt that comes out the more you drink it. Wierdly it would go great with some ice cream or yogurt, but I think to just drink it straight it's a little much as the spiciness just keeps building up more and more. It's definitely making me think of all kinds of (probably bad) ideas for spicy beers - habanero stout maybe? I'd give it a 3.75 because I haven't had a chili beer that's better, but like the rest of them I wouldn't have it again.
M - 4.25 - Can't knock the spiciness since that was obviously what they were going for. Aftertaste is just spicy at the back of the mouth. Alc completely covered.
O - 4 - It's good beer, the caramel malt characteristics and hops still come out, but under the overpowering spiciness. I think people that have rated it really low just weren't prepared for a spicy beer. (1,348 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Celebrated New Year's Day with a glass of this a friend brought over to graciously share. Poured into large tulip glass. NOTE: I am a hot pepper lover and eat peppers and/or use hot pepper sauce almost daily. With that in mind, my review is likely biased.

Poured a dark golden to orange color with head that faded rather quick to a lacing. Bottle art pretty cool with corked & caged presentation. Smells of intensely fresh, green hot peppers. Reminds me of frying up some chopped habanero in a frying pan with olive oil with the heat just volatizing. Very intense heat not for the timid or faint of heart. But I like it. Don't get the oak or bourbon in the nose as the peppers pretty much mask everything else, including hops.

Tastes intensely green pepper fresh - again reminds me mostly of habaneros- along with fresh jalapeños. Then a wave of caramel and vanilla, likely from the malt & from the oak, then another wave of intense lingering heat. For my tastes, the heat is manageable - even enjoyable - but for those not liking a lot of spice or kick or heat, then this one is not for you.

Feels perceivably medium to full with good malt to bitterness. The amped up heat trick the mind into thinking this is a full beer because you simply must sip this due to the high levels of spicy pepper goodness. I mean, you wouldn't chug a bottle of hot sauce, would you? Nice carbonation. Alcohol well in check with no noticeable solventy character.

Overall, a very nice hot pepper chili beer. Somewhat one-dimensional and obviously not for those who don't like liquid heat. I think some of the other qualities of this beer (hops, oak, bourbon) are unfortunately masked. I dig that Stone tried pushing the boundaries with this. I would certainly drink again if offered the opportunity. (1,788 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Holy shit !!! This is a hot pepper sauce with a little beer added. I love hot pepper sauce. I love beer. I just never expected to have both in the same glass!!! I love it! Hint, you will want to share this one once it's opened. The burn stays with you for a while! (264 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +21%

Definitely not for someone who hates heat. Somewhat of a novelty beer in that it has tons of punch to it. However, I have no problem eating a hot pepper. Taste the bourbon barrel aging, however the capsaicin does take over a little too much. The beer will not burn your face and make you cry for water however, though it would be great if the heat was turned down a bit for the next batch if there is one. (405 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

was excited and nervous to try this. next time ill get the punishment. this beer looks good- a nice brown, little haze. the smell is hot peppers all the way. reminds me of stron hot sauce- like daves insanity. and the taste is right up there. there is a slow burn that cotes the mouth- and washes over the throat. ultimately this was an interesting experiment- but ultimately i think this beer would be better for cooking- might be great in some chili. (452 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As chile beers go, Crime is an excellent example of how it should be done. Deep copper in color, it pours with an ample head and produces lacing akin to its no chile based brethren. At this point, any other similarities to known styles are absent. The aroma is a mix of caramel and Scotch Bonnet peppers. While the pepper taste predominates, there is enough malt backbone to make it palatable. If this were a poorly brewed chile beer all you would get would be pepper bitterness and/or heat. Not the case here. Yes, it is hot, but not throat scorching. The burn is there and may be too much for those who don't like it hot. But for someone who likes spicy food, it's just right. Yes, there is plenty of chile flavor. But you can tell that there's other stuff going on to counterbalance the peppers and heat. The oak cuts the pepper acidity and malt lend a bit of sweetness. There's a nice amount of body and a bit of smokiness on the finish. It would be interesting to see where this beer goes in a few months once the heat subsides. That said, rating this beer is difficult. I tried to compare it to other beers in the same style, which accounts for its higher score compared to other raters. (1,193 characters)

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.