Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011)
Roland

03-25-2014 21:05:27 | More by steamboatbrewer
belgianb

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +72%

I think this beer is absolutely wonderful. The smell is insane - just really fresh chile peppers. The taste is just as good. I have to say I tasted zero barrel or bourbon, but that doesn't matter. The pepper taste is spectacular. Very hot, but not just heat, very fresh and complex. It is like you can taste each individual style of pepper. My favorite beer from Stone.

01-05-2014 21:09:50 | More by belgianb
Misanthropy_Sipping

Nebraska

4.76/5  rDev +70.6%

I really MUST be out of my mind. Really, people tell me that... I never take it seriously but looking at the rating on this and then thinking of how much I enjoy it. Wow.

I'll put this on the table to begin with though, I love spicy foods. Of course, that have the "right" amount. And my tolerance is high, but not astronomical by any means either.

Pours a deep beautiful rust. With hues of light brown, scarlet, and orange, with a thin trace of carbonation that lingers as gentle tan clouds over the surface. Very beautiful. Just what I had hoped for.

The smell whips forward with the bouquet of peppers, touches of vanilla, a hint of bourbon buried beneath, a hint of smokiness, some caramel, and maybe just the slightest touch of booze amongst the peppers. It is a bit strange, it has an odd scent that is no doubt a result of the total intermingling and peppery oiliness. But, I can certainly overlook it for the total complexity.

The taste, wow. Did I mention I like spicy foods. It comes in smokey and oily, quite earthy, dips quickly into caramel malts and then rolls with the smoke into the peppers that twist and turn with a certain crispness. There is a vanilla and bourbon tone that upholds them as the heat increases. The delicate notes of char reside with the sweet malt tones and then a pleasant heat is left on the lips and along the tone and in the throat a bit. The first sip is a bit of a shocker. But I am completely dumbfounded by the mounting and lingering heat and how with each sip I continue the entire experience again and again without losing taste. And as it warms, there are even more delicate notes of lemon and pine that begin to show up.

Mouthfeel is oily, but medium bodied and surprisingly free flowing for being a little above 9% ABV. And obviously, before I forget, oh yeah... it's hot.

Overall. I don't know, maybe I am just not a wuss. Maybe it's because I do have a high heat tolerance... maybe it's because I have not had a boatload of other pepper beers but have had enough to know what I have expected out of others over the years. This is no Cave Creek or Ghost Face Killah. This has complexity, it doesn't scorch me so bad I cannot enjoy the beer. And on a winter night like tonight, it warms you up... and really hits the spot. I would agree the price mark was steep, but I'm glad I got it. If you can't handle heat, don't eff'n buy it.

But, excuse me, there is a little smoked gouda awaiting a perfect pairing.

12-20-2013 06:39:52 | More by Misanthropy_Sipping
John_Squires

02-27-2014 16:13:15 | More by John_Squires
sammyg832

Arizona

06-27-2014 14:12:38 | More by sammyg832
drinkinmiles

4.75/5  rDev +70.3%

Amazing. To forgo the usual ASTM grading I will simply think this brew through.
Going in to it I wasn't exactly sure what "with peppers added" meant, but damn was I pleased to find out.
I love spice, and have had a few beers of this nature let me down in the past.
The smell and taste and mouthfeel are amazing, to put simply.
If you like spicy things, the label should read "DRINK ME!".
One of the best brews I have had in a while now.

12-22-2013 08:01:34 | More by drinkinmiles

Brewski

03-23-2014 12:41:12 | More by Brewski
AndrewMC

4.49/5  rDev +60.9%

Crime is getting a bad wrap from people who don't understand what this beer is. This beer is mouth punishing with peppers. Hot and spicy, the way Stone wanted it. This beer isn't meant to be consumed by one person eating cookies. It was made for small glasses and shared in good company with a cheese board. It's also fantastic to cook with; just make it a reduction and boil unflavored sausage in it.

07-23-2014 13:10:00 | More by AndrewMC
cbutova

4.35/5  rDev +55.9%

A- Poured into five wine glasses thanks to Chico1985 with a small white head. The cap has a foamy, frothy texture and falls fairly quickly down to just a small ring of bubbles. Lacing starts with some webs and spots but thins out beyond that.

S- Even with some age it is pretty much just a blast of fresh cut habaneros staring you down from the cutting board. Has that fumy, fruity vaporous hot pepper flesh attacking the nasal tracts. Some caramel malts, bourbon vanilla barrel and fruitiness but mostly just amazing fresh peppers.

T- Chile beer in its purest form, just like Punishment. Hot and spicy but tolerable for pretty much everyone in the room, some who are not huge chili eaters. Fruity and fume packed pepper spiciness and flavor fills the palate with just enough room for the beer aspect. Slight bit of bourbon whiskey, caramel, fruits and malts.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture. Medium carbonation provides a platform for those spicy, fruity pepper flavors to shine. Finishes with a palate coated in chili pepper heat.

It is a bit depressing how low the rating for this beer is. What do people expect in such a beer, especially a Chili beer. Crime and Punishment by Stone have captured by far the best, freshest hot pepper flavors of any chili beer I have had. Exemplary for the style, love/hate I suppose but I loved these beers.

03-08-2014 04:25:33 | More by cbutova
Chico1985

4.26/5  rDev +52.7%

Thanks to my bro for buying me this as a Xmas gift. Had Punishment when it was released and loved it, glad to complete the duo. Dostoyevsky represent. Shared this was some people so I got a ~4 oz pour or so.

Appearance - Dark red, some floaties, off-white head. Thick ring and slight cap left.

Smell - Pure authentic pepper flesh. Trying to get more, hmm... caramel malt perhaps? Spicy peppers chopped up in a bowl right in front of you. Potent and rude.

Taste - Pure pepper veggie spice juice, close to biting into a deliciously hot chile. Lucky Basatrd? Bourbon? Eh maybe, not really though. It is definitely spicy but tolerable, it is not hot for the sake of being hot and has some depth, the authentic veggie vibe wins this for me. Probably a little less abrasive than Punishment overall.

Mouthfeel - Lightish feel with ample carbonation, perhaps a bit on the thinner side for the ABV, but that helps this beer go down. The alcohol is very well-hidden, perhaps the spice acts as a distraction.

Overall - Some of these rating make me lose faith in humanity. It's called Crime, Punishment is called Punishment, expect to be criminally punished, punished like a criminal, etc. I would honestly drink a small pour of this anytime, and would probably buy this somewhat often if not for the price. I am going to have to give Punishment another go sometime, and maybe save some of it for cooking. I like being punished, chiles and these beers.

03-08-2014 19:58:56 | More by Chico1985
Crime from Stone Brewing Co.