Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

If you are interested in the taste of spicy pencil shavings, then this is your beer. It's absolutely horrid. Novelty beers are becoming a joke, and this one is the worst of the worst. I wish stone would put more emphasis on producing quality beer than this garbage. I honestly can't believe this beer made it past Stone's QC department and onto store shelves. (359 characters)

Small 500ML bottle picked up despite the warning from my friendly local beer pusher. I looked around for Punishment & couldn't find it. May have been a blessing in diguise. Split with my wife.

The pour is very dark orange with a few droplets of sacrificial blood to darken it up. Tons & tons of floaties. Then I lick the 1/192 ounce of dribble rolling down the glass....eehhh. The nose is dirty chiles. Chiles. Chiles. I think the label said something about them.

Crime literally made me grab my throat after one sip - holy horrific fuck. Not only is there too much heat for the surface of the sun, it tastes like rancid sewage. What happened to the good base beer? Or the bourbon? It's like the dirt the chiles were grown in was dumped wholesale into the kettle. I consider just pouring it into the drain. Then I think about the cost of a plumber & think I'll toss it outside. Then I think about my poor grass. WTF do I do with this? I need some kind of toxic container.

Good. Lord. One. Sip. Worst. Beer. Ever. (1,018 characters)

The pour is hazy with minimal bubbles. A swirl provides some nice bubbles but the pour is so awful boring and blah.

It starts to have some sugar and nice aromas I think but it turns to cigaret ash tray like aromas. I want to give this a negative score.

At first you get some kinda sweet imperial ale flavors but then....instantly it turns to fire. I do'nt get ANY bourbon. I get well fire and crap.

Undrinkable.

This is the worst beer I've ever had. Budlight has more going for it. Honestly the smell of this beer is so bad that if you think smell is 1% of a beer, this is a 0 out of 100 because it's a negative 99 in smell.

Honestly, I want my damn money back. I feel this was total robbery from stone and I not kidding, I want a refund, this was too expensive to be this freaking awful. The beer should say "SUPER HOT SPICED" on the bottle. This was false advertising imo

Do not just NOT BUY THIS but I'm in favor of a petition to demand money back for anyone that didn't know HOW hot this total SHIT beer is. Sadly beer advocate won't let me score this correctly as it's a negative 1,000

Ok the final statement. This beer smells like a guy had some hot sauce and then took a massive crap and bottled it. The pour looks like fecal matter was mixed in. The beer itself was worst tasting than a McDonald. It is the worst tasting item ever made. Stone honestly at this point....I'm not sure I will ever buy another beer from them as this was honestly robbery. I'm not the kind to do such things but if I were a lesser man, I'd pop Greg the next time he's around.

I'm not going to lie I'm pretty sure had I finished a 4 oz pour i'd be vomiting right now. I can't imagine what someone would do after a full bottle, thankfully I drain poured the shit that this beer is. (1,776 characters)

Let's clear one thing up first....this will go over like a turd in a punchbowl if you take it to a party. The aroma has an amazing smell of dirty socks and grandpas asshole. The color looks like I got four scoops of Chipotles extra hot salsa and shit it out the next morning (floaties included). The flavor tastes like my dog ran through a grassy patch and scooted her ass on the carpet and then I licked it up. Overall I think I might go puke because this beer makes me think of Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus making out (I cant think of anything worse in this world). Please save yourself the trouble and go watch Sharknado 4 times in a row. You will thank me later! In lieu of waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay please send the rest of this crap there. No more terrorism...BAM! (776 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -60%

This is indeed a crime.

A: I always give beers a 5 for appearance because I don't think the appearance of a beer should detract from its rating, If I could have given this beer 1s across the board, I would.
This one had a nice burnt amber color.

S: god awful. Smells like plastic honestly.

T: Complete mess. No pleasant taste what so ever, just hot peppers.

M: Pain? Just pain.

O: Its a shame that Stone would make such garbage, its even a bigger shame they'd make it so expensive. This bottle was $18 I think? More than $1 per ounce for a drain pour? Such a waste of money and barrels. (591 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -54.5%

It's a crime that this beer has made it to production, and was actually bottled. I applaud Stone for trying to be different, but seriously, who's idea was this? Fortunately I had this during a sampling at a Whole Foods. Don't worry about this being sold out, there's plenty to go around. (291 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -53.9%

To think that this started out as Lucky Bastard, and ended up as...this. That is itself is enough to consider what was perpetuated here as a crime. Sadly, it got much worse.

Tried this on tap at Stone Winter Storm at Stone's Bistro on the day of it's release.

A: Poured a red-copper hue, maybe slightly more copper than normal Lucky Bastard. Slight head, which dissipated quickly.

S: Not nearly as much nose as I would have expected, in retrospect. Slightly sweet, strangely mingled with the hint of peppers, which gave it an almost plasticly off-note. Disjointed; had I smelled this anywhere else, I immediately would have wondered if something was off.

T: Good lord, why the peppers? Why? Lucky Bastard in barrels itself would probably have been great, would have serve to mellow or round out perhaps some of that sweetness that is it's hallmark. Instead, that potential was wrecked absolutely by the inclusion of pepper heat to the point of throwing the entire beer off the rails. The entire taste was out of sync, the heat of the peppers fighting the sweetness of the base LB. At the same time the barrel character was utterly at odds with the peppers.

M: Somehow at the same time thin and coating. I could not get the awful pepper burn out of my mouth for the longest time.

D: Between my girlfriend and I, neither of us could manage a few sips, to just sample it. I actually had to taste it more than once, thinking that it really couldn't be as bad as I was thinking at was. I think we made it through maybe 1 1/2 ounces of a 4oz pour.

By far the worst beer I have ever had from Stone. I would never, ever order this beer again. (1,642 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -52.3%

Absolutely the second worst beer I have ever had (the worst beer is it's companion Punishment). I loved Habanero Sculpin, but this was terrible. There is no balance or complexity to speak of. Disgusting stuff. The price was horrible too for a 16.9 oz. bottle. I will be haunted by the terrible taste of this beer. How could Stone release this beer at this price? God awful. (373 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -51.6%

I have enjoyed most things I have purchased from Stone over the years. This (and Punishment) were the expensive exceptions. The peppers were over-powering, to the point that I couldn't enjoy the ale and had to get rid of it. (226 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

The cork actually would not turn at all--I ended up ripping the cork trying to turn it, and had to get a corkscrew, resulting in bits falling into the beer. Ugh! This hasn't happened in years.

Poured into a tall chalice, this is a dark, murky beer with a light, fading head. Bits drift around as I hold it the light. The nose... well, it smells pretty much like a jar of hot sauce that you're sniffing right at the container--one of those made with citric acid instead of vinegar, thankfully. A strong one. The taste, egad, it beers little resemblance to anything thing beer-like. It's moderately hot, but not unbearably (I've chugged a few bottles of hot sauce in my time)--the problem is nothing remains of the beer. It's all chile heat, and nothing else.

This is one wretched beer, drinking wise. I was thinking I'd pour it down the drain, but it might make a decent marinading ingredient, or maybe to go in chili, so I'm sticking it in the fridge. That $20 price tag is a damn steep price for a cooking beer, though. (1,024 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -38.4%

Had to give this a try despite my total dislike of extreme spice in my beer. It was even worse than I had imagined. I could only manage a couple sips and I'd had enough. Quite an experience though (199 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -38.1%

First off I love Stone and what they mean to beer in general. This beer highly degrades anything they stand for. Arrogant bastard was a mess up turned into a beautiful beer! Completely agreed. This beer is a travesty. A complete over reaching disgusting marketing scam on the beer public in general. This is like getting a prized plate of Kobe beef bred in the highlands of the Himalayas and "oh by the way we just covered it in cheap fucking jalapeno peppers!". Are you retarded!!! Its a soul crushing, pallet wasting pile of shit. The fact that the brothers gave it an 80 makes me want to hate them. How? Just How! This is everything they say they stand against. Id like to get them and everyone stone in a room and watch them drink this atomic fueled overspiced garbage and tell me its an 80! Politics. This is everything we all should fight against. An obvious over stimulated over marketed beer that makes no sense on a beer lovers pallet. Shame on you Stone. (982 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -36.8%

On-tap at Stone 2/10/10 (first review!)

A: pours a deep reddish orange with very little head that dissapates quickly with little retention. Looks very similar to a standard Arrogant Bastard.

S: smells very grassy with a strong jalapeno and spicy scent. This is a very different thing than I have any other beer I've encountered.

T: taste is not actually too bad, has some nice oaky and hoppy notes with a background of chilies.

M: This is where this beer really goes wrong, it's super carbonated and absolutely burns the back of your mouth and your throat all the way down. Very unpleasant, I would compare it to drinking mouthwash.

D: Not drinkable. I had 4oz, and probably only had 1oz. Easily the least drinkable beer I have had. (737 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a hazy copper color with a tight, off-white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of chile peppers.

Tastes of spicy chiles with beer. Leads off with spicy chile flavors. I would say the heat is moderate, but not painful. There are some caramel malts that come in the middle, but they are washed out by a spicy finish. Really dominated by the chiles and not enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is terrible and a definite a ripoff at $17.73 for a 500. If for some reason you like the idea of mixing hot sauce with a little beer, then this is for you, but otherwise this is a beer to avoid. Let's just say this is enough to put me off Stone for a while. (715 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -34.8%

I drank this beer's partner in, well, crime, "Punishment," about two months ago, and learned an important lesson in the process: never purchase a very expensive, esoteric beer you've never heard of without first checking for a consensus on BeerAdvocate. Unfortunately, I bought both Crime and Punishment simultaneously, for an exorbitant $20 each, and much as I wish I hadn't, the time has arrived to review Crime.

The champagne cork was absolutely fused in place. This is undoubtedly a sign of things to come. A Herculean effort resulted in snapping the cork clean off, so the uncorking had to be done with a corkscrew - and even that was challenging. This beer clearly doesn't want to be consumed.

A - Dark, cloudy orange-amber with large, uninviting chunks of unidentified material and at least one pepper seed floating around in suspension.

S - Toffee, caramel, burnt sugar, and, you guessed it, chiles. I like the first three ingredients in my beer and the latter in my huevos rancheros, but I'm not certain they mix particularly well.

T - This is the part I was dreading. I'm happy to say the taste is only unpleasant, not gut-wrenchingly nauseating as was Punishment. Lots of caramel and dark fruit on the front, which then get trounced by a shockwave of pepper and capsaicin. The burn peaks quickly, and never becomes particularly intense, but the taste is not pleasant. These flavours cannot be said to meld.

M - Impossible to discern. Carbonation and pepper pucker become synonymous in the early game, and the result is the impression of far too much of the former. The safest bet is simply not to ingest this beer.

O - Leaving value for money out of the equation, this beer is off-putting and unworthy of recommendation. Since it is more expensive than a Firestone Walker seasonal release, it is thoroughly wasteful and pointless in every conceivable way. Save your money, your palate and your time. (1,916 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -32.3%

This was not good. I contemplated marinading some sort of meat in this because it was flat out not drinkable. I like spicy beers too, this was too much. 1st Drain pour. (170 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I love spicy foods, so I was intrigued to try this one despite the poor ratings. Appearance was fine, but nothing spectacular. The smell got me though. In a bad way. It was like someone left a plastic bowl of caramels in the microwave for too long, and the plastic bowl melted and caramel burned, and then tried to mask it with bourbon and chili peppers. Disgusting. I appreciated the hotness, even though it hurt. But multiple extreme flavors that don't come together cohesively is a bad thing. More burnt caramel and plastic here. The mouthfeel was like someone made sandpaper out of caramel-flavored sugar granules and scraped my tongue with it. Not pleasant. Really a horrid beer. One of two drain pours in my life. Ugh. (724 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -29%

I love hot and spicy food and despite the reviews I thought I'd like this beer because I've mostly been desensitized to pepper heat and I really enjoy this style. I was so wrong.
This beer was awful. I had a few sips and poured it down the drain. The only "crime" here is that this swill cost me $19 US before taxes and conversion to $CAN. Horrible!

Don't buy this beer if it's still around in your area. (407 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Second negative review of the day, guess I just got a run of bad beers.

I am a Stone fanboy. There, I said it. Arrogant Bastard was the beer that got me into craft brews and I have loved it ever since. So my disappoint is genuine and my confusion quite profound. Why would a bunch of people who make a beer that I consider to be among the best I have ever tasted let something like this go out the door with their name on it?

The appearance of this beer is great. dark and luscious, a dark red and brown color that my years of drinking Stone have told me will yield a tasty brew.

The smell hits you and you just know something isn't on the level. It just smells too spicy. The imbalance is present on the nose, but you go in and sip anyways.

The taste is awful. This beer is like drinking hot sauce. I am a fan of hot sauces, and I mean the hot ones, but I don't drink them. The biggest and most immediately recognizable taste is that of jalapenos.There is little else on the palate, just a bit of that amazing Arrogant Bastard taste on the finish. This must be what disappointment tastes like.

The mouthfeel would be the same as many an aged Bastard, if you didn't feel like your mouth was being punched by jalapenos. I took off points for the way the burning interferes with the ability to appreciate mouthfeel.

So, was it worth the hefty price tag to get a bottle of this stuff? No, not at all. I want to give the Stone guys their due for being adventurous, but this effort falls short and they had to have known that prior to shipping it out. Maybe a bit more aging would change things, but I doubt it.

On a pairing note, I happened to have this with a liver pâté and they actually paired really well. The spice from the beer really did a good job of cutting through the fat. If you have a bottle of this beer, I recommend aging it a while and then trying it with some foie gras, a terrine or a nice pate. You might as well make the best of this beer if you have it.

The reviews for this might improve as the bottles are aged. Stone if you read this, ease up on the Jalapenos and try and keep some balance, you are better than this. Oh and make a Triple Bastard so that I can die happy. (2,201 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -27.7%

I've been wanting to try Crime, but didn't like the bottle price. I got my chance when it turned up as part of a tap takeover at Tap + Bottle in Tucson, Ariz.

Crime looks like a good beer with a dominant pepper smell. I've had pepper beers in the past and enjoyed their unique taste and heat.

But while Crime may LOOK like a beer, it's really a mass of pepper juice. I like peppers, but this was TOO much. I intentionally waited after my first sip to see how long the burning lasted. I stopped waiting after 20 minutes.

Stone's name for the beer and its marketing copy are correct. The "beer" is most certainly a crime and should be poured down the drain ...

... which it apparently was at the tap takeover event. A guy sitting two stools away from me left with his four-ounce taster of Crime sitting with just one taste taken. After a while the bartender took it away and smelled it. "I'll be picking up a lot of these tonight," he mumbled to himself. (956 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -27.1%

500ml, October 2013
Snifter

A: Pours a dirty reddish brown color. Some floaties. Some light tan lacing. Collar of head.

S: Smells hot. Tons of pepper. Maybe some vanilla. But dominated but the heat. Even the lucky bastard sweetness.

T: Pepper! Holy god. All over my lips. Spice. Malt. Burns my throat.

M: Big medium. (320 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -25.2%

Served in a mug.

Appearance: Dark brown body with easy off-white head with a slight orange tint to it. Head with a hard pour rose to maybe 1/4".

Smell: Reminds me a Rauch-bier with the scent, like BBQ meat

Taste: Oh jesus what kind of beer is this supposed to be?, hardcore peppery and spicy. Jalapeños in absolute full effect. Has a smoked feel to it as well makes you think of seasoned pork, or chicken.

Mouth: Because of how spicy it is the stickiness is almost perfect.

Overall: Very very hard to finish the bottle on its own, this beer is ridiculously spicy and is leaving me to question why did I buy "Punishment" as well. When and if I see this bottle again I will gladly look the other way. It's intense and unless you really like the hardkick spicy pepper, this beer won't be for you. Salud! (810 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a very dark red with some brown in it. Tall, dense tan head. Awesome head retention. Decent thin lacing and a big island of foam.

S: Waxy vegetal pepper. With a side of burning death. Hoo boy.

T: Burnination commences immediately. Loads of vegetal pepper and liquid fire. Gets smoky in the middle like a chipotle and then very bready. Typical Arrogant Bastard bready malt. Aftertaste is lingering fire with a sort of mouth-coating oil effect.

M: Medium bodied and fiery.

O: I love hot stuff but this just brutal. I've had ghost peppers that were tastier than this. Not quite as bad as Punishment for some reason but it's still impossible to drink. A few sips was all I could manage. (719 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -20%

overpowering pepper flavor, bourbon taste is almost demolished and barely perceptible. A sipping brew for those that like heat, lots of heat. But this bastard was destroyed (ruined per Stone). Rather than waste the rest, I used the 2nd half of the bottle to marinade a skirt steak for Carne Asada, interesting enough, here the bourbon barrel flavor came out stronger than the peppers. Although this is a rather expensive marinade and still was not up to my usual skirt steak seasoning, although it was interesting. (518 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -19%

Pours a light reddish brown color with a decent sized off white head that quickly dissipates to wisps of foam on top. Aromas of earthy spicy hot peppers and little else. The flavor is pure heat, its like drinking lava and it sticks around forever. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a burning spicy mouthfeel. I love spicy food, but this beer is just insanely hot. There is no enjoying this as a beverage, maybe as a marinade. (441 characters)

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.