Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Tiny particles of sediment are seen suspended in the beer after the pour. Smell is of roasted chile, fresh chile, chile juice, and raisin aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, dark fruit, raisin, roasted chile, and chile powder flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of chile heat that lingers on the palate long after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice mix of spicy chile and dark fruit qualities.

Serving type: on tap. (739 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

On-tap at Stone

A: The beer pours a dark amber color with a small khaki head forming.

S: Like with Punishment, a big time chili aroma. They're really fresh and green. The there is a bit of base beer, but it is very minimal. A slight fruity and earthy note from the peppers.

T: The chile flavor is more subdued than on Punishment. The heat is especially noteworthy on the back end, and there's a strong grassy flavor to it. A decent amount of bread, but very minimal sweetness.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation.

D: Hmmm, I didn't think this was as bad as Punishment (perhaps appropriately). I don't know if I would really care to have a full glass of it, but not horrible. (691 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

If you are not a fan of really hot stuff, stay the hell away from this beer..

Pours a semi-hazed caramel with a thumb of cream colored head. Never quite clears up, decent lacing & okay head retention

S: Serrano & other peppers, jalapeno & even some black pepper, great nose

T: Caramel, some pear & then an assload of pepper heat. Some oaky notes as this warms, then more heat. Finishes flaming hot with a little caramel & woodiness

MF: Medium bodied/chewy with low carbonation, warming in many ways

TOO DAMN Hot. My advice, if you have this let it sit a few years. Actually paired well with some dark chocolate. Stone, you jumped the shark with this one ( and punishment, from what I hear) . Pity, dial the peppers back about 90% & this beer would be great... (764 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -19%

Pours a light reddish brown color with a decent sized off white head that quickly dissipates to wisps of foam on top. Aromas of earthy spicy hot peppers and little else. The flavor is pure heat, its like drinking lava and it sticks around forever. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a burning spicy mouthfeel. I love spicy food, but this beer is just insanely hot. There is no enjoying this as a beverage, maybe as a marinade. (441 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a cork and cage bottle into a snifter, the beer is a cloudy, auburn-brown coloring with a filmy, low-profile, off-white head. Slick cling left along the glass. Nose of chili heat, with vanilla undertones and woody notes. Not much past the heat, in all honesty. Flavors of heat forward, solid and strong, with a sharp pepper spice throughout. Waves of heat and pepper spice cascade over your palate, mouth, and throat. There are some vanilla and bourbon notes in the backbone, with a boozy highlight, too. Thick, smooth bodied, with a heat and pepper aftertaste. The finish is all heat. Wow. This is rough. I couldn't finish it to drink, but it did make a mean chili the next day! (691 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +0.6%

2/5/2011

On tap at Stone Winter Storm 2011.

I guess chili peppers were added to an oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale and we have Crime.

A: Turbid reddish brown. No head.

S: Big chili pepper profile. The chili peppers really overshadow what lies beneath. Some toffee beneath. Some oak. Dark fruit character is redolent of prune and date.

T: Very spicy. The chilies are not bashful. Oak is evident. Toffee, caramel, date, prune. Finish has a lot of chili flavor with a little heat.

M: Medium body, upper low carbonation with a sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: An okay chili pepper beer. (601 characters)

Edit: If you get the chance, know what you are drinking and enjoy it for what it is.

5oz pour at the end of the night on Friday... Bittercreek Stone Tap Takeover... I saved what I expected was the "worst" for last.. I was right.. but Crime was still pretty damn interesting.

Poured with a flimsy head.. deep orange... oh well, it is tough to really get a look at a beer inside Bittercreek because it is pretty dark most of the time.

Nose is no doubt burning.. wow.. smells hot and a bit malty.. hints of burnt sugars with warmth... I am scared to take a sip.

Flavor is not as scary... OVER THE TOP chili flavor and heat... but once you get past the "Over The Top", it becomes quite a bit more approachable.. caramel maltiness if I really concentrate... Soooo hot...

I did truly appreciate this one, but it was too much.. A bit of a train wreck.. 5oz was too much even after I went dark.

Glad I got the chance to try it... but it hurt me a bit later. ;-)

Thanks to Dave and Greg!! All 3's (995 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled October 2013. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy reddish/brown color with some sediment floaties noticeable. There's about an inch tan head that stayed around for a long time, and a good amount of lacing. The brew smells mostly like spicy and green peppers, along with some caramel. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's the addition of a bit of oak, vanilla and bourbon that kicks in after a while. But this brew is all about the spicy peppers, it's good and hot! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating with moderate carbonation. Overall I liked this. Yeah, I finished the bottle and my eyes are watering right now, but I wouldn't mind trying this again in the future. But it's certainly a brew that I would have to be in a certain mood to drink, because it's hotter than most of the chili beers I've tried before. (870 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

500 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter.
9.6% ABV, 102 IBUs,

A - While the bottle is almost black in color, the beer's clarity shows off Crime's rich ruby amber color with fantastic brilliance. A halo of ivory foam rests on the beer leaving no lace in it's wake.

S - Crime's massive blend of chilies gives the aroma a stunning sharpness that's got quite a bit of heat on it, almost setting in heartburn before it hits the stomach lining. Smooth toasted malt makes for a nice and robust base though, as Lucky Basartd barely shows more than a suggestion of it's time in bourbon barrels. I'm legitimately nervous of the first sip.

T - While Crime is undoubtedly a hot chili beer, the base of Lucky Basartd and it's rich maltiness isn't forgotten or completely destroyed by pepper flavor and heat but nicely complimentary to the mammoth level of chilies. Contradictory, there's absolutely no indication this beer has spent time in a bourbon barrel when it comes to the flavor; given a few seconds on the tongue, chili meat is all that's left.

M - This medium-bodied amber ale has a nice malty base to it but that disappears after about 1.5 seconds. At 1.6 seconds, Crime becomes one of the hottest chili beers on the market (*I'm having Punishment next) and mixes a massive amount of chili flavor with straight tongue-singing heat. With each sip I can feel the beer hit my stomach and start churning so, Tums might be in order. Additionally, my face feels slightly flush but I haven't begun to sweat from my eyelids yet so, while it'll stick around with you, Crime's heat is not insane - it's almost perfect.

O - As a disclaimer, I like spicy food. Let me back up. What I should say is that I like spicy food when everything, including the heat, works harmoniously. When something's insanely hot just to be insanely hot, it just becomes masochistic at that point. With that aside, I've been waiting for a beer like Crime for a long time. Chili beers seem to ride the fence of too little to decent affect or too poorly done to be enjoyable but, Crime manages to up the ante while being a drinkable beer. The time this chili beer has spent in bourbon barrels seems pointless considering the fact almost no attribute shows through but, the ridiculous chili flavor and heat don't completely obliterate the bastard beneath; beer is still a part of this beer. It may not be for everyone, but if you like spicy food, chances are you'll like this beer. (2,456 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a deep chestnut amber red color. Some tan colored froth and lacing.

(S)- A huge blast of hot peppers meets subtle oaky vanilla and subtle fruity malts.

(T)- The deep burn in the back of the throat. Subtle dry oakiness, but otherwise an assault of hot peppers on the senses.

(M)- It stings the throat for sure. Not overly burning hot, but not for the weak

(O)- These is no denying how hot this beer is. It stings the throat and does not apologize. I love spicy hot food, but I think when it comes to having it in my beer, I am a little put off somehow (613 characters)

Small 500ML bottle picked up despite the warning from my friendly local beer pusher. I looked around for Punishment & couldn't find it. May have been a blessing in diguise. Split with my wife.

The pour is very dark orange with a few droplets of sacrificial blood to darken it up. Tons & tons of floaties. Then I lick the 1/192 ounce of dribble rolling down the glass....eehhh. The nose is dirty chiles. Chiles. Chiles. I think the label said something about them.

Crime literally made me grab my throat after one sip - holy horrific fuck. Not only is there too much heat for the surface of the sun, it tastes like rancid sewage. What happened to the good base beer? Or the bourbon? It's like the dirt the chiles were grown in was dumped wholesale into the kettle. I consider just pouring it into the drain. Then I think about the cost of a plumber & think I'll toss it outside. Then I think about my poor grass. WTF do I do with this? I need some kind of toxic container.

Good. Lord. One. Sip. Worst. Beer. Ever. (1,018 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +6.8%

Went to smell the cork like I normally do and, jesus, there is a much of a pepper blast here than I've ever smelled in any hot sauce. And I've had a shitload of very hot hot sauces in my day. This is, seriously, the spiciest aroma I've ever come across aside from ghost pepper salsa.

Pours thick and red with a surprising head, for the way it glugged out of the bottle. Raising the glass to my nose it's just so aggressively peppery. Raw, aggressive peppers and then a little bit of double bastard maltiness.

Tastes... great? Is that great? Kind of. I like it a lot, but it's not well brewed. There's a giant pepper burn and then lukcy basartd in the back end. The basartd does a very nice job of cutting into the peppers, but only at first. A few seconds later the peppers return with a vengeance and that's all you taste for a good twenty seconds before you take the next sip.

This is like if Ed's Cave Creek used better peppers and a way better beer. It was enjoyable because I like very hot things. I--I just don't know.

Maybe I should reverse my "not well brewed" designation, because I think this does exactly what they wanted it to do. But I also think what they wanted it to do isn't what most people would want. Me, personally, I like hot things but I'm not one of those weird scoville devotees, so even though this was tasty it was still hard to get through 16 ounces of it. A+ for creativity and boldness, B- for execution. (1,439 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured into five wine glasses thanks to Chico1985 with a small white head. The cap has a foamy, frothy texture and falls fairly quickly down to just a small ring of bubbles. Lacing starts with some webs and spots but thins out beyond that.

S- Even with some age it is pretty much just a blast of fresh cut habaneros staring you down from the cutting board. Has that fumy, fruity vaporous hot pepper flesh attacking the nasal tracts. Some caramel malts, bourbon vanilla barrel and fruitiness but mostly just amazing fresh peppers.

T- Chile beer in its purest form, just like Punishment. Hot and spicy but tolerable for pretty much everyone in the room, some who are not huge chili eaters. Fruity and fume packed pepper spiciness and flavor fills the palate with just enough room for the beer aspect. Slight bit of bourbon whiskey, caramel, fruits and malts.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture. Medium carbonation provides a platform for those spicy, fruity pepper flavors to shine. Finishes with a palate coated in chili pepper heat.

It is a bit depressing how low the rating for this beer is. What do people expect in such a beer, especially a Chili beer. Crime and Punishment by Stone have captured by far the best, freshest hot pepper flavors of any chili beer I have had. Exemplary for the style, love/hate I suppose but I loved these beers. (1,374 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a murky, muddy brown color with a big fluffy toasted khaki colored head that the tons of webby lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a mix between sweet and vegetal. Big sweet brown sugar malt aroma that carries some bourbon notes and a hint of vanilla. There is a noticeable pepper aroma that has a subtle spice in the nose. Pepper seems to dominate.

The taste is strong with pepper flavor and quite strong with the heat. Way too overpowering. There is a sweet, slightly weak brown malt. The bourbon flavor is nice when you can find it through the heat. Nice vanilla notes. I dunno if I can find anything else.

The body is moderate with weak carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate then comes the crazy heat. Unpleasant and basically undrinkable.

I have had pepper beers before and could handle the heat but this is a bit over the top. (844 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle into snifter. Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a murky dirty iced tea color with some tiny floaters beneath a soft light tan head that faded I to a fuzzy collar. Spotty lacing was left down the glass.
S: Spicy pepper nose remind me of fresh green peppers with a hint of roast. Sweet caramel and a touch of hop resin is in there as well.
T: Follows the nose with flavors of the base double bastard mixed with burning and flavorful green and habanero peppers. Pepper burn is spicy and flavorful and lingers long after the swallow. The hops resin accentuates the burn. Spicy and peppery, but not oily or overly hot.
M: Medium-full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel. Surprisingly not greasy or overly boozy, or as rough as I thought it would be. Smooth overall with a nice long linger heat.
O: Call me crazy but this was actually good. I wouldn't want to drink this often, but I actually enjoyed it more than other spicy beers I've had. More depth and complexity than I was expecting. (991 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A beer that makes no sense in the fact that one or even 3 people can't finish the bottle. It is very hot to the point of making it impossible to finish. In a sample pour it makes sense as the base beer is very well made ( of course) and the peppers are big and powerful. For the style it a great beer as it really pushes the limits of heat and flavour. Worth trying but you need friends. (387 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a very dark red with some brown in it. Tall, dense tan head. Awesome head retention. Decent thin lacing and a big island of foam.

S: Waxy vegetal pepper. With a side of burning death. Hoo boy.

T: Burnination commences immediately. Loads of vegetal pepper and liquid fire. Gets smoky in the middle like a chipotle and then very bready. Typical Arrogant Bastard bready malt. Aftertaste is lingering fire with a sort of mouth-coating oil effect.

M: Medium bodied and fiery.

O: I love hot stuff but this just brutal. I've had ghost peppers that were tastier than this. Not quite as bad as Punishment for some reason but it's still impossible to drink. A few sips was all I could manage. (719 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +35.2%

Poured from a (pretty cool) 500 mL bottle into a snifter. This is pretty fresh, as it was bottled October 2013.

Appearance: Pours a deep cherry and leaves a finger of light tan head which slowly fades.

Smell: Wow, big ghost pepper upfront. I really do enjoy the flavor of the pepper in general, but the heat that comes with it is generally fairly unbearable - we'll see what happens here. Other hot pepper smells as well, all fresh from the garden. In the background, I do get bourbon, caramel, and some light chocolate, but beyond that I can't get much. The peppers are very dominant. I love hot peppers, and this smell is hot peppers.

Taste: Starts sweet with some caramel, vanilla and malts. Pretty quickly after this it shifts to the hot peppers and plenty of spice. The hot pepper flavor here is more of a garden variety - not as dominated by the ghost pepper as the aroma (but ghost pepper definitely still stands out the most). Definitely the spiciest beer I've ever had to this point. After the taste, the flavor of fresh hot peppers lingers, especially jalapeno. The spice lingers, but does go away faster than eating, say, a fresh habanero.

Mouth-feel: Low carbonation with a nice medium to thick body. Nice and creamy. I wish I could swish this around in my mouth longer, but the heat makes it tough. Finishes spicy.

Overall: I love the smell, and the creamy body is really nice. This beer is pretty spicy - but not TOO spicy. It does get a little painful - but that comes with the task of enjoying the flavors from hot peppers. I wish I could extract a bit more of the base beer and the barrel aspects, but the peppers dominate the profile. The very beginning of the sip is nice and sweet and must come from the barrel. An interesting beer for sure. If you don't love peppers, you will not enjoy this beer. I recommend pairing this with water and bread. (1,870 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -18.1%

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, biting jalapeno-like spice throughout. Unfortunately, the barrels/wood are tough to find.

Medium mouthfeel.

I'm very glad I tried this one, but I don't need to revisit it. Even as a lover of peppers and spicy foods, this one still isn't for me. (682 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

The cork actually would not turn at all--I ended up ripping the cork trying to turn it, and had to get a corkscrew, resulting in bits falling into the beer. Ugh! This hasn't happened in years.

Poured into a tall chalice, this is a dark, murky beer with a light, fading head. Bits drift around as I hold it the light. The nose... well, it smells pretty much like a jar of hot sauce that you're sniffing right at the container--one of those made with citric acid instead of vinegar, thankfully. A strong one. The taste, egad, it beers little resemblance to anything thing beer-like. It's moderately hot, but not unbearably (I've chugged a few bottles of hot sauce in my time)--the problem is nothing remains of the beer. It's all chile heat, and nothing else.

This is one wretched beer, drinking wise. I was thinking I'd pour it down the drain, but it might make a decent marinading ingredient, or maybe to go in chili, so I'm sticking it in the fridge. That $20 price tag is a damn steep price for a cooking beer, though. (1,024 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour deeply dark, reddish-brown. Some light gets through but it seems weary from the trip. Nice, light tan head leaves some pretty good lacing behind.
Smell is fainter than expected but malt, pepper, spice, and a hint of floral are present. Good balance but hard to suss out the details.
Taste is malt, spicy peppers, faint floral. Balance is skewed heavily to the peppers and malt. I like it. I wonder what the Scoville rating is for this beer? Hee hee.
Medium bodied, light effervescence. Fairly smooth, too, though drying at the finish. (539 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +5.2%

Came across these by chance on a recent cross border visit to Montana, surprised at the price given the relatively general low cost of brews there, but i'm intrigued....
A - deep swampy brown, two fingers of lightly tanned head retained nicely with plenty of wispy lacing all around which is impressive for a chile beer
S - dominated by the sweet and veggie like aroma of the peppers, and you get a little tickle from the heat if you breathe deep, unfortunately the peppers drown out the beer aromas making this hard to judge
T - WOW, the heat is INTENSE!!! Roasted smoky pepper flavour is immediately followed with a blast of heat that doesn't subside. There are notes of bready and brown sugar malts with some piney hops but you really have to focus and block out the fact that your palate is roasting
M - HOT ... but I guess that's the whole point, although it builds and gets more difficult
O - the most aggressive chile beer i've had by light years, and as I'm a fan of spice I can definitely appreciate what they are going for here, on the downside it ends up tasting more like a hot sauce than a beer which does take something away from it, but its an adventure to be taken if you're willing to get outside your comfort zone
POST BOTTLE EDIT: so my initial review was only after a few sips, and I can appreciate what they are going for, HOWEVER I found that it was basically unpleasant to actually try to finish the 500ml bottle. The heat builds and is unrelenting, and to be honest the flavour while interesting at first gets a little old. I actually couldn't finish the bottle. This would have been nice to try in a smaller size like 300ml at most, but I find it unfortunate to have paid a high price for a bottle that would have been a chore to finish. Still worth a try in my opinion, but share it with a friend or two (1,829 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

500 ml bottle, with 2013 vintage date. Dear god, what have I gotten myself into? At least I bought this beer and Stone Punishment with a gift card, so I didn't have to use my own actual money. Depending on how this goes, I will be adding some of this to a pot of chili. Expectations are terrifying based on the reviews of others, and I have no idea what to expect, so I'm just going to go ahead and get this shit over with. Shared this bottle with a friend.

Poured into a miniature Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.

A - Pours a dark burnt orange colored body with some red highlights in there when held to the light, and lots of dark chunks of sediment floating in the glass. Just under a finger of soapy khaki head with good staying power. Some okay spotty lacing, also. Doesn't look so bad.

S - Oh wow. This thing definitely has peppers in it, that's for sure. Not really picking up any actual "heat", but you can tell that there are peppers in here. Earthy, vegetal peppers, even fruity at times in the vain of mango. Caramel and oak wood are definitely in there when you really look for them, but the peppers dominate. The smell is actually quite pleasant.

T - Oh wow. Oh god. I do get the caramel and some brown sugar in there, but the fiery pepper heat is dominant. Once you sip on it though, more begins to creep out. Caramel, brown sugar, oak, mango, orange, fiery habanero / jalapeno burn. I'm giving it a 3, according to style, but I am probably being a bit generous.

M - Feel is hot and fiery. The bottle says it best. A long fiery afterburn. Hot and tingly. Nearly undrinkable.

Overall, I'm sweating, and my tongue is sizzling with heat, but it is bearable. Not as excruciatingly horrible as others have said, but it is borderline undrinkable for the casual beer drinker. You have to really be in the mood for this, and know what you are in for when you crack this open. A unique beer drinking experience if there ever was one. And to think that I still have Punishment to look forward to.

Stone Crime ---3/5. (2,031 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Amber body with lots of chunky white floaters. Foamy tan head that fades quickly and leaves a layer of bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some light comes through the body, but no visibility.

S- Caramel malts, peppers, hints of sweet bourbon. Not as potent an aroma as I would have thought and actually pretty pleasant.

T- Sweet bourbony goodness gives way to a rush of intense pepper heat and flavor. Lingering finish is just tons of hot peppers.

M- Medium bodied, tons of burning heat. Lips, tongue, throat all of fire.

O- The heat is just way too much. Some nice flavors come through, but after a few sips it is overwhelming. (640 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a caged and corked bomber into a snifter glass. Beer aged for approximately one year.
Aroma-Full-on spicy chilies and malt note in the background.
Taste-A literal "hot mess". Even with, or maybe because of, a year in the cellar this brew was just too much heat and pepper flavor to achieve any real balance in my opinion. I split this brew with another veteran craft beer drinker and we were hard pressed to finish it all. We didn't have the tastebuds left to try the "Punishment". I'll give that one another year and see what happens. Here's hoping. (563 characters)

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.