Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

3.69/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

right, so remember we are reviewing a chili beer with Crime. given that, i think this brew stacks up nicely in the category. reddish brown in color wih a fading tan head, Crime greets the nose with vanilla, caramel malts, hot peppers, and dark chocolate. after imvibing you feel the heat from the capsician big time. i could see how the. spiciness might be too much for those sensitive to heat, but as a hot sauce enhusiast and master crafter, i can dig it. after the initial pepper blast, you begin to taste the rich caramel and barrel aged blend of the basardt. not a subtle beer, but fun to drink in small quantities. gave me a good sweat, maybe a sligjt endorphin kick. (673 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour deeply dark, reddish-brown. Some light gets through but it seems weary from the trip. Nice, light tan head leaves some pretty good lacing behind.
Smell is fainter than expected but malt, pepper, spice, and a hint of floral are present. Good balance but hard to suss out the details.
Taste is malt, spicy peppers, faint floral. Balance is skewed heavily to the peppers and malt. I like it. I wonder what the Scoville rating is for this beer? Hee hee.
Medium bodied, light effervescence. Fairly smooth, too, though drying at the finish. (539 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Second negative review of the day, guess I just got a run of bad beers.

I am a Stone fanboy. There, I said it. Arrogant Bastard was the beer that got me into craft brews and I have loved it ever since. So my disappoint is genuine and my confusion quite profound. Why would a bunch of people who make a beer that I consider to be among the best I have ever tasted let something like this go out the door with their name on it?

The appearance of this beer is great. dark and luscious, a dark red and brown color that my years of drinking Stone have told me will yield a tasty brew.

The smell hits you and you just know something isn't on the level. It just smells too spicy. The imbalance is present on the nose, but you go in and sip anyways.

The taste is awful. This beer is like drinking hot sauce. I am a fan of hot sauces, and I mean the hot ones, but I don't drink them. The biggest and most immediately recognizable taste is that of jalapenos.There is little else on the palate, just a bit of that amazing Arrogant Bastard taste on the finish. This must be what disappointment tastes like.

The mouthfeel would be the same as many an aged Bastard, if you didn't feel like your mouth was being punched by jalapenos. I took off points for the way the burning interferes with the ability to appreciate mouthfeel.

So, was it worth the hefty price tag to get a bottle of this stuff? No, not at all. I want to give the Stone guys their due for being adventurous, but this effort falls short and they had to have known that prior to shipping it out. Maybe a bit more aging would change things, but I doubt it.

On a pairing note, I happened to have this with a liver pâté and they actually paired really well. The spice from the beer really did a good job of cutting through the fat. If you have a bottle of this beer, I recommend aging it a while and then trying it with some foie gras, a terrine or a nice pate. You might as well make the best of this beer if you have it.

The reviews for this might improve as the bottles are aged. Stone if you read this, ease up on the Jalapenos and try and keep some balance, you are better than this. Oh and make a Triple Bastard so that I can die happy. (2,201 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

The cork actually would not turn at all--I ended up ripping the cork trying to turn it, and had to get a corkscrew, resulting in bits falling into the beer. Ugh! This hasn't happened in years.

Poured into a tall chalice, this is a dark, murky beer with a light, fading head. Bits drift around as I hold it the light. The nose... well, it smells pretty much like a jar of hot sauce that you're sniffing right at the container--one of those made with citric acid instead of vinegar, thankfully. A strong one. The taste, egad, it beers little resemblance to anything thing beer-like. It's moderately hot, but not unbearably (I've chugged a few bottles of hot sauce in my time)--the problem is nothing remains of the beer. It's all chile heat, and nothing else.

This is one wretched beer, drinking wise. I was thinking I'd pour it down the drain, but it might make a decent marinading ingredient, or maybe to go in chili, so I'm sticking it in the fridge. That $20 price tag is a damn steep price for a cooking beer, though. (1,024 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +6.8%

Went to smell the cork like I normally do and, jesus, there is a much of a pepper blast here than I've ever smelled in any hot sauce. And I've had a shitload of very hot hot sauces in my day. This is, seriously, the spiciest aroma I've ever come across aside from ghost pepper salsa.

Pours thick and red with a surprising head, for the way it glugged out of the bottle. Raising the glass to my nose it's just so aggressively peppery. Raw, aggressive peppers and then a little bit of double bastard maltiness.

Tastes... great? Is that great? Kind of. I like it a lot, but it's not well brewed. There's a giant pepper burn and then lukcy basartd in the back end. The basartd does a very nice job of cutting into the peppers, but only at first. A few seconds later the peppers return with a vengeance and that's all you taste for a good twenty seconds before you take the next sip.

This is like if Ed's Cave Creek used better peppers and a way better beer. It was enjoyable because I like very hot things. I--I just don't know.

Maybe I should reverse my "not well brewed" designation, because I think this does exactly what they wanted it to do. But I also think what they wanted it to do isn't what most people would want. Me, personally, I like hot things but I'm not one of those weird scoville devotees, so even though this was tasty it was still hard to get through 16 ounces of it. A+ for creativity and boldness, B- for execution. (1,439 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500mL bottle. Pours a murky dark brown color with an inch of head. The aroma is hot pepper and not much else. The taste is pepper and hot peppers with plenty of heat. Coats your throat with heat. I think I can pick up on some Bastard but its hidden behind the wall of spice and heat. Not abusively hot but spicy for sure. Slick mouthfeel with a small amount of carbonation. Overall, I couldn't drink this all the time, or maybe even again, but I'm glad I tried it. It's not as hot or as bad as I thought it'd be. This has been aging for a few months so it may have helped mellow things a bit. (592 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -27.1%

500ml, October 2013
Snifter

A: Pours a dirty reddish brown color. Some floaties. Some light tan lacing. Collar of head.

S: Smells hot. Tons of pepper. Maybe some vanilla. But dominated but the heat. Even the lucky bastard sweetness.

T: Pepper! Holy god. All over my lips. Spice. Malt. Burns my throat.

M: Big medium. (320 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -54.5%

It's a crime that this beer has made it to production, and was actually bottled. I applaud Stone for trying to be different, but seriously, who's idea was this? Fortunately I had this during a sampling at a Whole Foods. Don't worry about this being sold out, there's plenty to go around. (291 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to my bro for buying me this as a Xmas gift. Had Punishment when it was released and loved it, glad to complete the duo. Dostoyevsky represent. Shared this was some people so I got a ~4 oz pour or so.

Appearance - Dark red, some floaties, off-white head. Thick ring and slight cap left.

Smell - Pure authentic pepper flesh. Trying to get more, hmm... caramel malt perhaps? Spicy peppers chopped up in a bowl right in front of you. Potent and rude.

Taste - Pure pepper veggie spice juice, close to biting into a deliciously hot chile. Lucky Basatrd? Bourbon? Eh maybe, not really though. It is definitely spicy but tolerable, it is not hot for the sake of being hot and has some depth, the authentic veggie vibe wins this for me. Probably a little less abrasive than Punishment overall.

Mouthfeel - Lightish feel with ample carbonation, perhaps a bit on the thinner side for the ABV, but that helps this beer go down. The alcohol is very well-hidden, perhaps the spice acts as a distraction.

Overall - Some of these rating make me lose faith in humanity. It's called Crime, Punishment is called Punishment, expect to be criminally punished, punished like a criminal, etc. I would honestly drink a small pour of this anytime, and would probably buy this somewhat often if not for the price. I am going to have to give Punishment another go sometime, and maybe save some of it for cooking. I like being punished, chiles and these beers. (1,445 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured into five wine glasses thanks to Chico1985 with a small white head. The cap has a foamy, frothy texture and falls fairly quickly down to just a small ring of bubbles. Lacing starts with some webs and spots but thins out beyond that.

S- Even with some age it is pretty much just a blast of fresh cut habaneros staring you down from the cutting board. Has that fumy, fruity vaporous hot pepper flesh attacking the nasal tracts. Some caramel malts, bourbon vanilla barrel and fruitiness but mostly just amazing fresh peppers.

T- Chile beer in its purest form, just like Punishment. Hot and spicy but tolerable for pretty much everyone in the room, some who are not huge chili eaters. Fruity and fume packed pepper spiciness and flavor fills the palate with just enough room for the beer aspect. Slight bit of bourbon whiskey, caramel, fruits and malts.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture. Medium carbonation provides a platform for those spicy, fruity pepper flavors to shine. Finishes with a palate coated in chili pepper heat.

It is a bit depressing how low the rating for this beer is. What do people expect in such a beer, especially a Chili beer. Crime and Punishment by Stone have captured by far the best, freshest hot pepper flavors of any chili beer I have had. Exemplary for the style, love/hate I suppose but I loved these beers. (1,374 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a very dark red with some brown in it. Tall, dense tan head. Awesome head retention. Decent thin lacing and a big island of foam.

S: Waxy vegetal pepper. With a side of burning death. Hoo boy.

T: Burnination commences immediately. Loads of vegetal pepper and liquid fire. Gets smoky in the middle like a chipotle and then very bready. Typical Arrogant Bastard bready malt. Aftertaste is lingering fire with a sort of mouth-coating oil effect.

M: Medium bodied and fiery.

O: I love hot stuff but this just brutal. I've had ghost peppers that were tastier than this. Not quite as bad as Punishment for some reason but it's still impossible to drink. A few sips was all I could manage. (719 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

500 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter.
9.6% ABV, 102 IBUs,

A - While the bottle is almost black in color, the beer's clarity shows off Crime's rich ruby amber color with fantastic brilliance. A halo of ivory foam rests on the beer leaving no lace in it's wake.

S - Crime's massive blend of chilies gives the aroma a stunning sharpness that's got quite a bit of heat on it, almost setting in heartburn before it hits the stomach lining. Smooth toasted malt makes for a nice and robust base though, as Lucky Basartd barely shows more than a suggestion of it's time in bourbon barrels. I'm legitimately nervous of the first sip.

T - While Crime is undoubtedly a hot chili beer, the base of Lucky Basartd and it's rich maltiness isn't forgotten or completely destroyed by pepper flavor and heat but nicely complimentary to the mammoth level of chilies. Contradictory, there's absolutely no indication this beer has spent time in a bourbon barrel when it comes to the flavor; given a few seconds on the tongue, chili meat is all that's left.

M - This medium-bodied amber ale has a nice malty base to it but that disappears after about 1.5 seconds. At 1.6 seconds, Crime becomes one of the hottest chili beers on the market (*I'm having Punishment next) and mixes a massive amount of chili flavor with straight tongue-singing heat. With each sip I can feel the beer hit my stomach and start churning so, Tums might be in order. Additionally, my face feels slightly flush but I haven't begun to sweat from my eyelids yet so, while it'll stick around with you, Crime's heat is not insane - it's almost perfect.

O - As a disclaimer, I like spicy food. Let me back up. What I should say is that I like spicy food when everything, including the heat, works harmoniously. When something's insanely hot just to be insanely hot, it just becomes masochistic at that point. With that aside, I've been waiting for a beer like Crime for a long time. Chili beers seem to ride the fence of too little to decent affect or too poorly done to be enjoyable but, Crime manages to up the ante while being a drinkable beer. The time this chili beer has spent in bourbon barrels seems pointless considering the fact almost no attribute shows through but, the ridiculous chili flavor and heat don't completely obliterate the bastard beneath; beer is still a part of this beer. It may not be for everyone, but if you like spicy food, chances are you'll like this beer. (2,456 characters)

Let's clear one thing up first....this will go over like a turd in a punchbowl if you take it to a party. The aroma has an amazing smell of dirty socks and grandpas asshole. The color looks like I got four scoops of Chipotles extra hot salsa and shit it out the next morning (floaties included). The flavor tastes like my dog ran through a grassy patch and scooted her ass on the carpet and then I licked it up. Overall I think I might go puke because this beer makes me think of Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus making out (I cant think of anything worse in this world). Please save yourself the trouble and go watch Sharknado 4 times in a row. You will thank me later! In lieu of waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay please send the rest of this crap there. No more terrorism...BAM! (776 characters)

Small 500ML bottle picked up despite the warning from my friendly local beer pusher. I looked around for Punishment & couldn't find it. May have been a blessing in diguise. Split with my wife.

The pour is very dark orange with a few droplets of sacrificial blood to darken it up. Tons & tons of floaties. Then I lick the 1/192 ounce of dribble rolling down the glass....eehhh. The nose is dirty chiles. Chiles. Chiles. I think the label said something about them.

Crime literally made me grab my throat after one sip - holy horrific fuck. Not only is there too much heat for the surface of the sun, it tastes like rancid sewage. What happened to the good base beer? Or the bourbon? It's like the dirt the chiles were grown in was dumped wholesale into the kettle. I consider just pouring it into the drain. Then I think about the cost of a plumber & think I'll toss it outside. Then I think about my poor grass. WTF do I do with this? I need some kind of toxic container.

Good. Lord. One. Sip. Worst. Beer. Ever. (1,018 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +5.2%

Came across these by chance on a recent cross border visit to Montana, surprised at the price given the relatively general low cost of brews there, but i'm intrigued....
A - deep swampy brown, two fingers of lightly tanned head retained nicely with plenty of wispy lacing all around which is impressive for a chile beer
S - dominated by the sweet and veggie like aroma of the peppers, and you get a little tickle from the heat if you breathe deep, unfortunately the peppers drown out the beer aromas making this hard to judge
T - WOW, the heat is INTENSE!!! Roasted smoky pepper flavour is immediately followed with a blast of heat that doesn't subside. There are notes of bready and brown sugar malts with some piney hops but you really have to focus and block out the fact that your palate is roasting
M - HOT ... but I guess that's the whole point, although it builds and gets more difficult
O - the most aggressive chile beer i've had by light years, and as I'm a fan of spice I can definitely appreciate what they are going for here, on the downside it ends up tasting more like a hot sauce than a beer which does take something away from it, but its an adventure to be taken if you're willing to get outside your comfort zone
POST BOTTLE EDIT: so my initial review was only after a few sips, and I can appreciate what they are going for, HOWEVER I found that it was basically unpleasant to actually try to finish the 500ml bottle. The heat builds and is unrelenting, and to be honest the flavour while interesting at first gets a little old. I actually couldn't finish the bottle. This would have been nice to try in a smaller size like 300ml at most, but I find it unfortunate to have paid a high price for a bottle that would have been a chore to finish. Still worth a try in my opinion, but share it with a friend or two (1,829 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +7.7%

500 ml bottle. Aroma of peppers and bourbon barrel, Vanilla, fruit. Poured an unattractive green/amber color. Taste-yes, yes tons of heat but what impresses me is the flavor of the Lukcy and the bourbon barrel still shine through. I was expecting this to be horrible due to the reviews I read. Enjoyable nonetheless. (316 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Crime pours a threatening brown and ruby (or is it blood?) red color that is hazy with a good deal of floaters. Has an ominous large and dense, creamy light tan head with very good retention and heavy lacing. Aroma comes first with some piney hops and burnt caramel, then a crushing wave of hot peppers invade the nostrils, as I pull away in apprehension, a bit of sweetness comes at the end.

As I lift the glass to my lips, I reflect on my life; mostly a good and clean life, but now it is time to pay for my crimes.

Taste starts with a hint of vanilla, caramel malt, and piney hops. Just as I start telling myself this beer is not as hot as everyone says, I swallow and my mouth lights on fire. The heat is intense but fresh, as if biting straight into a hot pepper. As my adrenaline begins to lower, some piney hops with a touch of citrus come back in to play to sit alongside the intense heat. Feel is a touch heavy, with below average carbonation, I think some extra carbonation would compliment the heat.

The heat is intense yet both flavorful and bearable, and more than just heat, you can really taste the chiles as well. I enjoy very hot food, and this is enjoyable to me, while at the same time I can see how it is nowhere near enjoyable for others. I think Stone did a great job here, If you can't take the heat, you never shoulda bought it. (1,355 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

We can’t explain how excited we are for this (and its counterpart). I mean Stone…chili beer…bring it on!! Coming off of all these bad reviews something just gets you psyched about it, especially since we love the Rogue beers (Voodoo) everyone loves to hate all over. Anyway, we’ll get to it. We crack the cage and cork on a bottle of Batch No 08, pouring a brew of rich mahogany into our oversized tasting snifters. A creamy one finger head of copper colored bubbles is produced, retaining well, and leaving islands and cords of lacing around the glasses. A chill haze cuts clarity harshly, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be active. The aroma gives the steely, vegetal, organic burn of pepper varietals, with particular inclusions of fresh, green jalapenos and salty, smoked tabasco sauce. It isn’t so much hot as it is fresh and heavy with peppered authenticity. This masks a base beer of charred smokiness, buttery diacetyls, warming bourbon, drying oak, brown sugar, thick caramel maltiness, maraschino cherry fruitiness, cotton candy, soy sauce, wheat crackers, and light cheddar cheese mustiness. Our first impression is that this is one spicy beverage, but not NEARLY as crazy as some people are making it out to be (unless you hold it and roll it over your tongue…then it’s like getting maced as it is driven up into your sinus…). Objectively, it is well spiced and well flavored. As we sip, the taste flashes with light caramels, toffees, and cooling vanilla bourbon respite, before a crashing dominance of jalapeno, habanero, black pepper, and smoked pepper fieriness crashes in. The middle peaks with balancing sweetness of caramel and brown sugar sweetness to meet some of the heat, along with acetone, almond extract, sesame seeds, and clean bourbon woodiness. The end squeezes out with more of the same heated bite, with bitter fusel booziness, raw and sappy oakiness, smoked pork, dried chipotle peppers, rich caramel malt sweetness, sweet twangs of ethanol undertones and straight bourbon warmth, and white rice dryness. The aftertaste breathes of caramel and coffee malt darkness, chive and scallion fumes, vanilla stem, commercial maple syrup, clean bourbon, hints of grassy hops, cool sriracha sauce, and a rolling burn of that fresh, seedy pepper medley. The body is rather thick, and carbonation is medium to high. Each sip gives nice slurp, smack, cream, and froth, but you have to be careful you don’t inhale too much and choke yourself. The mouth, chest, and abdomen are warmed entirely, with a slick, oily coating of spice through and through. The mouth otherwise experiences light pucker and reactionary salivation to help wash the capsaicin from the buds. The abv is appropriate, and as long as you take it slow, it shouldn’t kill you.

Overall, the best things about this brew are its nose and its taste. Honestly, as it seems with all the “failed” big-name brews on this site, many people ignore style and go straight for subjective, comparative value of their beers. This is the case here. The spice is wonderful, but you definitely have to be able to appreciate something spicy. It reminds us of Founders Spite series that they aged in wood with peppers. The habanero was the hottest of that series, and this reminds us of that. Crime might be a shade hotter off the bat, but by the end, it can only get so hot and it evens out. It actually smooths out with warmth quite a bit, and after the first half of the glass, allowing for much more of the bourbon and underlying caramel tastiness to shine though and balance things out. The “Bastard” series is a great base for this, affording gentle but sugary sweetness, and cooked warmth. It is so exciting to see such a hot and progressive beer like this bottled and distributed rather widely. If you want our advice, to enjoy this you must take it at face value for what it is, and not expect it to displace your current favorites. Rather, take to it with an open mind, and a love for spicy food, and you just might just find something delightful. (4,070 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -34.8%

I drank this beer's partner in, well, crime, "Punishment," about two months ago, and learned an important lesson in the process: never purchase a very expensive, esoteric beer you've never heard of without first checking for a consensus on BeerAdvocate. Unfortunately, I bought both Crime and Punishment simultaneously, for an exorbitant $20 each, and much as I wish I hadn't, the time has arrived to review Crime.

The champagne cork was absolutely fused in place. This is undoubtedly a sign of things to come. A Herculean effort resulted in snapping the cork clean off, so the uncorking had to be done with a corkscrew - and even that was challenging. This beer clearly doesn't want to be consumed.

A - Dark, cloudy orange-amber with large, uninviting chunks of unidentified material and at least one pepper seed floating around in suspension.

S - Toffee, caramel, burnt sugar, and, you guessed it, chiles. I like the first three ingredients in my beer and the latter in my huevos rancheros, but I'm not certain they mix particularly well.

T - This is the part I was dreading. I'm happy to say the taste is only unpleasant, not gut-wrenchingly nauseating as was Punishment. Lots of caramel and dark fruit on the front, which then get trounced by a shockwave of pepper and capsaicin. The burn peaks quickly, and never becomes particularly intense, but the taste is not pleasant. These flavours cannot be said to meld.

M - Impossible to discern. Carbonation and pepper pucker become synonymous in the early game, and the result is the impression of far too much of the former. The safest bet is simply not to ingest this beer.

O - Leaving value for money out of the equation, this beer is off-putting and unworthy of recommendation. Since it is more expensive than a Firestone Walker seasonal release, it is thoroughly wasteful and pointless in every conceivable way. Save your money, your palate and your time. (1,916 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a cork and cage bottle into a snifter, the beer is a cloudy, auburn-brown coloring with a filmy, low-profile, off-white head. Slick cling left along the glass. Nose of chili heat, with vanilla undertones and woody notes. Not much past the heat, in all honesty. Flavors of heat forward, solid and strong, with a sharp pepper spice throughout. Waves of heat and pepper spice cascade over your palate, mouth, and throat. There are some vanilla and bourbon notes in the backbone, with a boozy highlight, too. Thick, smooth bodied, with a heat and pepper aftertaste. The finish is all heat. Wow. This is rough. I couldn't finish it to drink, but it did make a mean chili the next day! (691 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Amber body with lots of chunky white floaters. Foamy tan head that fades quickly and leaves a layer of bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some light comes through the body, but no visibility.

S- Caramel malts, peppers, hints of sweet bourbon. Not as potent an aroma as I would have thought and actually pretty pleasant.

T- Sweet bourbony goodness gives way to a rush of intense pepper heat and flavor. Lingering finish is just tons of hot peppers.

M- Medium bodied, tons of burning heat. Lips, tongue, throat all of fire.

O- The heat is just way too much. Some nice flavors come through, but after a few sips it is overwhelming. (640 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -27.7%

I've been wanting to try Crime, but didn't like the bottle price. I got my chance when it turned up as part of a tap takeover at Tap + Bottle in Tucson, Ariz.

Crime looks like a good beer with a dominant pepper smell. I've had pepper beers in the past and enjoyed their unique taste and heat.

But while Crime may LOOK like a beer, it's really a mass of pepper juice. I like peppers, but this was TOO much. I intentionally waited after my first sip to see how long the burning lasted. I stopped waiting after 20 minutes.

Stone's name for the beer and its marketing copy are correct. The "beer" is most certainly a crime and should be poured down the drain ...

... which it apparently was at the tap takeover event. A guy sitting two stools away from me left with his four-ounce taster of Crime sitting with just one taste taken. After a while the bartender took it away and smelled it. "I'll be picking up a lot of these tonight," he mumbled to himself. (956 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a murky, muddy brown color with a big fluffy toasted khaki colored head that the tons of webby lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a mix between sweet and vegetal. Big sweet brown sugar malt aroma that carries some bourbon notes and a hint of vanilla. There is a noticeable pepper aroma that has a subtle spice in the nose. Pepper seems to dominate.

The taste is strong with pepper flavor and quite strong with the heat. Way too overpowering. There is a sweet, slightly weak brown malt. The bourbon flavor is nice when you can find it through the heat. Nice vanilla notes. I dunno if I can find anything else.

The body is moderate with weak carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate then comes the crazy heat. Unpleasant and basically undrinkable.

I have had pepper beers before and could handle the heat but this is a bit over the top. (844 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Imbibed this interesting beer with three other friends on New Years. I'll start by qualifying that I like things that are hot. Not just spicy, but HOT.

Split among four people and poured into glasses. Pours a pretty orange brown color with a nice caramel colored foamy head.

The nose on this beer (for me) was all hot peppers. You actually get the capsaicin on (and in) your nose.

At first sip it wasn't too bad. Almost a little smokey, but not heavily. Then the heat hits, and unfortunately precludes you from tasting anything other than the burn. It starts out feeling like a burn and eventually turns into a thousands of tiny fire ants gnawing at the inside of your mouth. I couldn't feel my mouth enough to give a good description of the mouth feel.

This was an interesting beer. I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it, either. I greatly appreciate the level of heat that Stone was able to get into this beer without getting the vegetative taste you get with some beers brewed with pepper. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish my glass and was my first and probably only drain pour. It would have been a palate wrecker for the rest of the night, and definitely a stomach wrecker if drunk at the end of the night. I would ave rated it higher if the heat level was tolerable to me, which it was not. Could be good for cooking and making deliciously hot chili. Definitely not for the faint of heart. (1,405 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

500 ml bottle, with 2013 vintage date. Dear god, what have I gotten myself into? At least I bought this beer and Stone Punishment with a gift card, so I didn't have to use my own actual money. Depending on how this goes, I will be adding some of this to a pot of chili. Expectations are terrifying based on the reviews of others, and I have no idea what to expect, so I'm just going to go ahead and get this shit over with. Shared this bottle with a friend.

Poured into a miniature Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.

A - Pours a dark burnt orange colored body with some red highlights in there when held to the light, and lots of dark chunks of sediment floating in the glass. Just under a finger of soapy khaki head with good staying power. Some okay spotty lacing, also. Doesn't look so bad.

S - Oh wow. This thing definitely has peppers in it, that's for sure. Not really picking up any actual "heat", but you can tell that there are peppers in here. Earthy, vegetal peppers, even fruity at times in the vain of mango. Caramel and oak wood are definitely in there when you really look for them, but the peppers dominate. The smell is actually quite pleasant.

T - Oh wow. Oh god. I do get the caramel and some brown sugar in there, but the fiery pepper heat is dominant. Once you sip on it though, more begins to creep out. Caramel, brown sugar, oak, mango, orange, fiery habanero / jalapeno burn. I'm giving it a 3, according to style, but I am probably being a bit generous.

M - Feel is hot and fiery. The bottle says it best. A long fiery afterburn. Hot and tingly. Nearly undrinkable.

Overall, I'm sweating, and my tongue is sizzling with heat, but it is bearable. Not as excruciatingly horrible as others have said, but it is borderline undrinkable for the casual beer drinker. You have to really be in the mood for this, and know what you are in for when you crack this open. A unique beer drinking experience if there ever was one. And to think that I still have Punishment to look forward to.

Stone Crime ---3/5. (2,031 characters)

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.