Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Crime Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +25%

4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I love spicy foods, so I was intrigued to try this one despite the poor ratings. Appearance was fine, but nothing spectacular. The smell got me though. In a bad way. It was like someone left a plastic bowl of caramels in the microwave for too long, and the plastic bowl melted and caramel burned, and then tried to mask it with bourbon and chili peppers. Disgusting. I appreciated the hotness, even though it hurt. But multiple extreme flavors that don't come together cohesively is a bad thing. More burnt caramel and plastic here. The mouthfeel was like someone made sandpaper out of caramel-flavored sugar granules and scraped my tongue with it. Not pleasant. Really a horrid beer. One of two drain pours in my life. Ugh.

3.68/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark bronze color. Tiny flakes of yeast or pepper or something at the bottom. Huge, frothy head does not give up and clings to the glass in everlasting lace.

Smells like an angus burger flame broiled over an oak wood fire with pepper jack cheese and habanero sauce on top. Strangely enough, it doesn't smell too bad.

Smoked beef up front. Hint of oak. Caramel and brown sugar sweetness. Assertive herbal hops. Aged cheddar cheese. I can taste the essence of lucky bastard in the background. While all these wonderful flavors are intriguing my tastebuds, the peppers are battling for dominance. I hate to say it but the peppers have won. The end result is complete palate destruction. Not much to say in the way of balance. The funny this is, when I read the bottle and saw 102 ibu, I thought this was going to be a hop forward beer but I can hardly taste the hops underneath the relentless pepper flavor.

Full-bodied. Lightly carbonated. Leaves me with a numb, tingly feeling all over my mouth and lips.

I can respect the creator of this beer for thinking outside of the box and for pushing the boundaries of what beer is. However, I think he went a little too far. I enjoy the taste of peppers in my beer under certain circumstances but only when it is balanced with the malt, hops, etc. I think I would really enjoy this beer if the heat were dialed down about 60-70%. Nonetheless, I am glad I tried it.

3.95/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - 3.75 - The color is an amazing dark red/mahogany when you hold it up to the light. The head initially is an off white 2 fingers but immediatedely dies down to nothing, with no lacing then obviously.
S - 4.25 - Really interesting, definitely oak, and a lot of red pepper/spicy type smell. Almost a little like hot sauce, but a lot more mild and sweet.
T - Moment of truth - Very spicy up front but then dies down pretty quick, you can definitely taste the hops in the background and the oak barrels. Definitely has a sweet caramely malt that comes out the more you drink it. Wierdly it would go great with some ice cream or yogurt, but I think to just drink it straight it's a little much as the spiciness just keeps building up more and more. It's definitely making me think of all kinds of (probably bad) ideas for spicy beers - habanero stout maybe? I'd give it a 3.75 because I haven't had a chili beer that's better, but like the rest of them I wouldn't have it again.
M - 4.25 - Can't knock the spiciness since that was obviously what they were going for. Aftertaste is just spicy at the back of the mouth. Alc completely covered.
O - 4 - It's good beer, the caramel malt characteristics and hops still come out, but under the overpowering spiciness. I think people that have rated it really low just weren't prepared for a spicy beer.

4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

Amazing. To forgo the usual ASTM grading I will simply think this brew through.
Going in to it I wasn't exactly sure what "with peppers added" meant, but damn was I pleased to find out.
I love spice, and have had a few beers of this nature let me down in the past.
The smell and taste and mouthfeel are amazing, to put simply.
If you like spicy things, the label should read "DRINK ME!".
One of the best brews I have had in a while now.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.5/5  rDev +25%

4.76/5  rDev +70%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really MUST be out of my mind. Really, people tell me that... I never take it seriously but looking at the rating on this and then thinking of how much I enjoy it. Wow.

I'll put this on the table to begin with though, I love spicy foods. Of course, that have the "right" amount. And my tolerance is high, but not astronomical by any means either.

Pours a deep beautiful rust. With hues of light brown, scarlet, and orange, with a thin trace of carbonation that lingers as gentle tan clouds over the surface. Very beautiful. Just what I had hoped for.

The smell whips forward with the bouquet of peppers, touches of vanilla, a hint of bourbon buried beneath, a hint of smokiness, some caramel, and maybe just the slightest touch of booze amongst the peppers. It is a bit strange, it has an odd scent that is no doubt a result of the total intermingling and peppery oiliness. But, I can certainly overlook it for the total complexity.

The taste, wow. Did I mention I like spicy foods. It comes in smokey and oily, quite earthy, dips quickly into caramel malts and then rolls with the smoke into the peppers that twist and turn with a certain crispness. There is a vanilla and bourbon tone that upholds them as the heat increases. The delicate notes of char reside with the sweet malt tones and then a pleasant heat is left on the lips and along the tone and in the throat a bit. The first sip is a bit of a shocker. But I am completely dumbfounded by the mounting and lingering heat and how with each sip I continue the entire experience again and again without losing taste. And as it warms, there are even more delicate notes of lemon and pine that begin to show up.

Mouthfeel is oily, but medium bodied and surprisingly free flowing for being a little above 9% ABV. And obviously, before I forget, oh yeah... it's hot.

Overall. I don't know, maybe I am just not a wuss. Maybe it's because I do have a high heat tolerance... maybe it's because I have not had a boatload of other pepper beers but have had enough to know what I have expected out of others over the years. This is no Cave Creek or Ghost Face Killah. This has complexity, it doesn't scorch me so bad I cannot enjoy the beer. And on a winter night like tonight, it warms you up... and really hits the spot. I would agree the price mark was steep, but I'm glad I got it. If you can't handle heat, don't eff'n buy it.

But, excuse me, there is a little smoked gouda awaiting a perfect pairing.

Pours a hazy copper color with a tight, off-white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of chile peppers.

Tastes of spicy chiles with beer. Leads off with spicy chile flavors. I would say the heat is moderate, but not painful. There are some caramel malts that come in the middle, but they are washed out by a spicy finish. Really dominated by the chiles and not enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is terrible and a definite a ripoff at $17.73 for a 500. If for some reason you like the idea of mixing hot sauce with a little beer, then this is for you, but otherwise this is a beer to avoid. Let's just say this is enough to put me off Stone for a while.

2.54/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: handsome hazy copper. Nice off white head with some messy lacing.
Smell: well, much ado bout nothing. Smells like an uncooked jalapeño. Shocked at how little is going on in the nose. Not getting any beer smells. Interesting and not unpleasant just expected a spice bomb.
Taste: yow, there 's the peppers. That's the opposite of subtle. Tastes like pepper juice. Any beer, any arrogant bastard taste is completely overpowered.
Overall: nice try. Might as well take Bud and give it this treatment. No way to taste the beer anyway.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%

It's all about the peppers with this beer. Serious heat, though not as bad as I though it would be. There's a hint of the Lucky Bastard/barrel aging in here but it doesn't stand a chance against the pepper flavor and heat. This is really a novelty beer and doesn't taste very good at all, and this is coming from someone who loves spicy everything. At $20+ it's a huge rip off. I don't care if those peppers came from the god damn garden of Eden, it's worth about $12.

2.45/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a light reddish brown color with a decent sized off white head that quickly dissipates to wisps of foam on top. Aromas of earthy spicy hot peppers and little else. The flavor is pure heat, its like drinking lava and it sticks around forever. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a burning spicy mouthfeel. I love spicy food, but this beer is just insanely hot. There is no enjoying this as a beverage, maybe as a marinade.

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.