Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Crime Alström Bros

3.53/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: looks like the other members of the 'Bastard line - deep dark amber with a tan head as big as you'd like that leaves ample thick lace behind as it recedes

S: mild chewy caramel and toffee malts and airs of bourbon barrels, suggestions of the peppery heart contained within

T: the chile in the beer overwhelms all other flavors - and I like heat in food and drink - but the bourbon can't rise above the chile heat, and the malts are but a shadow in the background; any hops used or yeasts are all left to the imagination, as the heat will hit you immediately and shut down your palate for the most part

M: medium bodied beer, slick and smooth, but the heat from the chiles will light your mouth and lip on fire

O: I liked the beer, but wouldn't return to it - a $20 bottle of pepper spray - as it is, I've got it's counterpart, Punishment, on tap, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but the beer lacks nuance - and it's a shame, too - a bourbon barrel aged beer should have more say in the final flavor than this beer has. If you have any hesitation about heat in beer, avoid this at all costs. If you are a fan of bourbon barrel-aging, skip over this, as you will not be able to appreciate the bourbon at all. But if you want a firebomb beer-drinking experience, or you like extreme beers with high abv, give it a try, but not if your budget doesn't allow for a very pricey purchase.

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.75/5  rDev +32.5%

2.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a chalice. The color is hazy brown; deep caramel. There is a nice off-white sticky head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a lot of chili pepper in the aroma. This smells like green salsa. Interesting.

Okay, first sip and this is a firebomb! This is crazy spicy. I try to pick out some other flavors but I can't really. It doesn't seem much point that there is any beer flavor in this at all since the spiciness dominates.

This is a full bodied beer; though it's difficult to tell because my mouth is numb. This is a fun beer to try, don't think I'll be going back for more though.

4.25/5  rDev +50.2%

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

4.23/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

App: Ruby and amber in color, dense and deep. Yeast and other particles flatting around even from the first pour. A cappuccino head with nice retention and good lacing. Not their most beautiful beer, but very attractive.

Nose: The dusty and musty green skins of chilies. Green and fresh. It finishes with a very faint malty foundation. Vanilla malty sweetness. What a unique nose!

Taste: Smooth up front with excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. Hotness comes in and stays until you swallow. Then, it sticks around for a bit. Perfect level of a thick carmel foundation. Oak brings the hotness and carmel together. The heat stays on your palate for a while.

Notes: This is right up to the edge of what a chile beer can be without making it bad. As far as chile beers go, this may be the best balanced I have had.

4.19/5  rDev +48.1%

Poured from a (pretty cool) 500 mL bottle into a snifter. This is pretty fresh, as it was bottled October 2013.

Appearance: Pours a deep cherry and leaves a finger of light tan head which slowly fades.

Smell: Wow, big ghost pepper upfront. I really do enjoy the flavor of the pepper in general, but the heat that comes with it is generally fairly unbearable - we'll see what happens here. Other hot pepper smells as well, all fresh from the garden. In the background, I do get bourbon, caramel, and some light chocolate, but beyond that I can't get much. The peppers are very dominant. I love hot peppers, and this smell is hot peppers.

Taste: Starts sweet with some caramel, vanilla and malts. Pretty quickly after this it shifts to the hot peppers and plenty of spice. The hot pepper flavor here is more of a garden variety - not as dominated by the ghost pepper as the aroma (but ghost pepper definitely still stands out the most). Definitely the spiciest beer I've ever had to this point. After the taste, the flavor of fresh hot peppers lingers, especially jalapeno. The spice lingers, but does go away faster than eating, say, a fresh habanero.

Mouth-feel: Low carbonation with a nice medium to thick body. Nice and creamy. I wish I could swish this around in my mouth longer, but the heat makes it tough. Finishes spicy.

Overall: I love the smell, and the creamy body is really nice. This beer is pretty spicy - but not TOO spicy. It does get a little painful - but that comes with the task of enjoying the flavors from hot peppers. I wish I could extract a bit more of the base beer and the barrel aspects, but the peppers dominate the profile. The very beginning of the sip is nice and sweet and must come from the barrel. An interesting beer for sure. If you don't love peppers, you will not enjoy this beer. I recommend pairing this with water and bread.

3.75/5  rDev +32.5%

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

2.25/5  rDev -20.5%

The pour is hazy with minimal bubbles. A swirl provides some nice bubbles but the pour is so awful boring and blah.

It starts to have some sugar and nice aromas I think but it turns to cigaret ash tray like aromas. I want to give this a negative score.

At first you get some kinda sweet imperial ale flavors but then....instantly it turns to fire. I do'nt get ANY bourbon. I get well fire and crap.

Undrinkable.

This is the worst beer I've ever had. Budlight has more going for it. Honestly the smell of this beer is so bad that if you think smell is 1% of a beer, this is a 0 out of 100 because it's a negative 99 in smell.

Honestly, I want my damn money back. I feel this was total robbery from stone and I not kidding, I want a refund, this was too expensive to be this freaking awful. The beer should say "SUPER HOT SPICED" on the bottle. This was false advertising imo

Do not just NOT BUY THIS but I'm in favor of a petition to demand money back for anyone that didn't know HOW hot this total SHIT beer is. Sadly beer advocate won't let me score this correctly as it's a negative 1,000

Ok the final statement. This beer smells like a guy had some hot sauce and then took a massive crap and bottled it. The pour looks like fecal matter was mixed in. The beer itself was worst tasting than a McDonald. It is the worst tasting item ever made. Stone honestly at this point....I'm not sure I will ever buy another beer from them as this was honestly robbery. I'm not the kind to do such things but if I were a lesser man, I'd pop Greg the next time he's around.

I'm not going to lie I'm pretty sure had I finished a 4 oz pour i'd be vomiting right now. I can't imagine what someone would do after a full bottle, thankfully I drain poured the shit that this beer is.

3.25/5  rDev +14.8%

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.