Crime - Stone Brewing Co.

CrimeCrime

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Crime Alström Bros
Ratings: 434 | Reviews: 98
4.24/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

We can’t explain how excited we are for this (and its counterpart). I mean Stone…chili beer…bring it on!! Coming off of all these bad reviews something just gets you psyched about it, especially since we love the Rogue beers (Voodoo) everyone loves to hate all over. Anyway, we’ll get to it. We crack the cage and cork on a bottle of Batch No 08, pouring a brew of rich mahogany into our oversized tasting snifters. A creamy one finger head of copper colored bubbles is produced, retaining well, and leaving islands and cords of lacing around the glasses. A chill haze cuts clarity harshly, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be active. The aroma gives the steely, vegetal, organic burn of pepper varietals, with particular inclusions of fresh, green jalapenos and salty, smoked tabasco sauce. It isn’t so much hot as it is fresh and heavy with peppered authenticity. This masks a base beer of charred smokiness, buttery diacetyls, warming bourbon, drying oak, brown sugar, thick caramel maltiness, maraschino cherry fruitiness, cotton candy, soy sauce, wheat crackers, and light cheddar cheese mustiness. Our first impression is that this is one spicy beverage, but not NEARLY as crazy as some people are making it out to be (unless you hold it and roll it over your tongue…then it’s like getting maced as it is driven up into your sinus…). Objectively, it is well spiced and well flavored. As we sip, the taste flashes with light caramels, toffees, and cooling vanilla bourbon respite, before a crashing dominance of jalapeno, habanero, black pepper, and smoked pepper fieriness crashes in. The middle peaks with balancing sweetness of caramel and brown sugar sweetness to meet some of the heat, along with acetone, almond extract, sesame seeds, and clean bourbon woodiness. The end squeezes out with more of the same heated bite, with bitter fusel booziness, raw and sappy oakiness, smoked pork, dried chipotle peppers, rich caramel malt sweetness, sweet twangs of ethanol undertones and straight bourbon warmth, and white rice dryness. The aftertaste breathes of caramel and coffee malt darkness, chive and scallion fumes, vanilla stem, commercial maple syrup, clean bourbon, hints of grassy hops, cool sriracha sauce, and a rolling burn of that fresh, seedy pepper medley. The body is rather thick, and carbonation is medium to high. Each sip gives nice slurp, smack, cream, and froth, but you have to be careful you don’t inhale too much and choke yourself. The mouth, chest, and abdomen are warmed entirely, with a slick, oily coating of spice through and through. The mouth otherwise experiences light pucker and reactionary salivation to help wash the capsaicin from the buds. The abv is appropriate, and as long as you take it slow, it shouldn’t kill you.

Overall, the best things about this brew are its nose and its taste. Honestly, as it seems with all the “failed” big-name brews on this site, many people ignore style and go straight for subjective, comparative value of their beers. This is the case here. The spice is wonderful, but you definitely have to be able to appreciate something spicy. It reminds us of Founders Spite series that they aged in wood with peppers. The habanero was the hottest of that series, and this reminds us of that. Crime might be a shade hotter off the bat, but by the end, it can only get so hot and it evens out. It actually smooths out with warmth quite a bit, and after the first half of the glass, allowing for much more of the bourbon and underlying caramel tastiness to shine though and balance things out. The “Bastard” series is a great base for this, affording gentle but sugary sweetness, and cooked warmth. It is so exciting to see such a hot and progressive beer like this bottled and distributed rather widely. If you want our advice, to enjoy this you must take it at face value for what it is, and not expect it to displace your current favorites. Rather, take to it with an open mind, and a love for spicy food, and you just might just find something delightful.

2.02/5  rDev -28.4%

I drank this beer's partner in, well, crime, "Punishment," about two months ago, and learned an important lesson in the process: never purchase a very expensive, esoteric beer you've never heard of without first checking for a consensus on BeerAdvocate. Unfortunately, I bought both Crime and Punishment simultaneously, for an exorbitant $20 each, and much as I wish I hadn't, the time has arrived to review Crime.

The champagne cork was absolutely fused in place. This is undoubtedly a sign of things to come. A Herculean effort resulted in snapping the cork clean off, so the uncorking had to be done with a corkscrew - and even that was challenging. This beer clearly doesn't want to be consumed.

A - Dark, cloudy orange-amber with large, uninviting chunks of unidentified material and at least one pepper seed floating around in suspension.

S - Toffee, caramel, burnt sugar, and, you guessed it, chiles. I like the first three ingredients in my beer and the latter in my huevos rancheros, but I'm not certain they mix particularly well.

T - This is the part I was dreading. I'm happy to say the taste is only unpleasant, not gut-wrenchingly nauseating as was Punishment. Lots of caramel and dark fruit on the front, which then get trounced by a shockwave of pepper and capsaicin. The burn peaks quickly, and never becomes particularly intense, but the taste is not pleasant. These flavours cannot be said to meld.

M - Impossible to discern. Carbonation and pepper pucker become synonymous in the early game, and the result is the impression of far too much of the former. The safest bet is simply not to ingest this beer.

O - Leaving value for money out of the equation, this beer is off-putting and unworthy of recommendation. Since it is more expensive than a Firestone Walker seasonal release, it is thoroughly wasteful and pointless in every conceivable way. Save your money, your palate and your time.

2.78/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a cork and cage bottle into a snifter, the beer is a cloudy, auburn-brown coloring with a filmy, low-profile, off-white head. Slick cling left along the glass. Nose of chili heat, with vanilla undertones and woody notes. Not much past the heat, in all honesty. Flavors of heat forward, solid and strong, with a sharp pepper spice throughout. Waves of heat and pepper spice cascade over your palate, mouth, and throat. There are some vanilla and bourbon notes in the backbone, with a boozy highlight, too. Thick, smooth bodied, with a heat and pepper aftertaste. The finish is all heat. Wow. This is rough. I couldn't finish it to drink, but it did make a mean chili the next day!

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Amber body with lots of chunky white floaters. Foamy tan head that fades quickly and leaves a layer of bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some light comes through the body, but no visibility.

S- Caramel malts, peppers, hints of sweet bourbon. Not as potent an aroma as I would have thought and actually pretty pleasant.

T- Sweet bourbony goodness gives way to a rush of intense pepper heat and flavor. Lingering finish is just tons of hot peppers.

M- Medium bodied, tons of burning heat. Lips, tongue, throat all of fire.

O- The heat is just way too much. Some nice flavors come through, but after a few sips it is overwhelming.

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%

I've been wanting to try Crime, but didn't like the bottle price. I got my chance when it turned up as part of a tap takeover at Tap + Bottle in Tucson, Ariz.

Crime looks like a good beer with a dominant pepper smell. I've had pepper beers in the past and enjoyed their unique taste and heat.

But while Crime may LOOK like a beer, it's really a mass of pepper juice. I like peppers, but this was TOO much. I intentionally waited after my first sip to see how long the burning lasted. I stopped waiting after 20 minutes.

Stone's name for the beer and its marketing copy are correct. The "beer" is most certainly a crime and should be poured down the drain ...

... which it apparently was at the tap takeover event. A guy sitting two stools away from me left with his four-ounce taster of Crime sitting with just one taste taken. After a while the bartender took it away and smelled it. "I'll be picking up a lot of these tonight," he mumbled to himself.

2.77/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a murky, muddy brown color with a big fluffy toasted khaki colored head that the tons of webby lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a mix between sweet and vegetal. Big sweet brown sugar malt aroma that carries some bourbon notes and a hint of vanilla. There is a noticeable pepper aroma that has a subtle spice in the nose. Pepper seems to dominate.

The taste is strong with pepper flavor and quite strong with the heat. Way too overpowering. There is a sweet, slightly weak brown malt. The bourbon flavor is nice when you can find it through the heat. Nice vanilla notes. I dunno if I can find anything else.

The body is moderate with weak carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate then comes the crazy heat. Unpleasant and basically undrinkable.

I have had pepper beers before and could handle the heat but this is a bit over the top.

2.59/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Imbibed this interesting beer with three other friends on New Years. I'll start by qualifying that I like things that are hot. Not just spicy, but HOT.

Split among four people and poured into glasses. Pours a pretty orange brown color with a nice caramel colored foamy head.

The nose on this beer (for me) was all hot peppers. You actually get the capsaicin on (and in) your nose.

At first sip it wasn't too bad. Almost a little smokey, but not heavily. Then the heat hits, and unfortunately precludes you from tasting anything other than the burn. It starts out feeling like a burn and eventually turns into a thousands of tiny fire ants gnawing at the inside of your mouth. I couldn't feel my mouth enough to give a good description of the mouth feel.

This was an interesting beer. I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it, either. I greatly appreciate the level of heat that Stone was able to get into this beer without getting the vegetative taste you get with some beers brewed with pepper. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish my glass and was my first and probably only drain pour. It would have been a palate wrecker for the rest of the night, and definitely a stomach wrecker if drunk at the end of the night. I would ave rated it higher if the heat level was tolerable to me, which it was not. Could be good for cooking and making deliciously hot chili. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

3.05/5  rDev +8.2%

500 ml bottle, with 2013 vintage date. Dear god, what have I gotten myself into? At least I bought this beer and Stone Punishment with a gift card, so I didn't have to use my own actual money. Depending on how this goes, I will be adding some of this to a pot of chili. Expectations are terrifying based on the reviews of others, and I have no idea what to expect, so I'm just going to go ahead and get this shit over with. Shared this bottle with a friend.

Poured into a miniature Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.

A - Pours a dark burnt orange colored body with some red highlights in there when held to the light, and lots of dark chunks of sediment floating in the glass. Just under a finger of soapy khaki head with good staying power. Some okay spotty lacing, also. Doesn't look so bad.

S - Oh wow. This thing definitely has peppers in it, that's for sure. Not really picking up any actual "heat", but you can tell that there are peppers in here. Earthy, vegetal peppers, even fruity at times in the vain of mango. Caramel and oak wood are definitely in there when you really look for them, but the peppers dominate. The smell is actually quite pleasant.

T - Oh wow. Oh god. I do get the caramel and some brown sugar in there, but the fiery pepper heat is dominant. Once you sip on it though, more begins to creep out. Caramel, brown sugar, oak, mango, orange, fiery habanero / jalapeno burn. I'm giving it a 3, according to style, but I am probably being a bit generous.

M - Feel is hot and fiery. The bottle says it best. A long fiery afterburn. Hot and tingly. Nearly undrinkable.

Overall, I'm sweating, and my tongue is sizzling with heat, but it is bearable. Not as excruciatingly horrible as others have said, but it is borderline undrinkable for the casual beer drinker. You have to really be in the mood for this, and know what you are in for when you crack this open. A unique beer drinking experience if there ever was one. And to think that I still have Punishment to look forward to.

Stone Crime ---3/5.

2.32/5  rDev -17.7%

Served in a mug.

Appearance: Dark brown body with easy off-white head with a slight orange tint to it. Head with a hard pour rose to maybe 1/4".

Smell: Reminds me a Rauch-bier with the scent, like BBQ meat

Taste: Oh jesus what kind of beer is this supposed to be?, hardcore peppery and spicy. Jalapeños in absolute full effect. Has a smoked feel to it as well makes you think of seasoned pork, or chicken.

Mouth: Because of how spicy it is the stickiness is almost perfect.

Overall: Very very hard to finish the bottle on its own, this beer is ridiculously spicy and is leaving me to question why did I buy "Punishment" as well. When and if I see this bottle again I will gladly look the other way. It's intense and unless you really like the hardkick spicy pepper, this beer won't be for you. Salud!

2.6/5  rDev -7.8%

I went into this with an open mind; I love Stone, and I really like spicy food, so I figured all the low scores on this site must have been from people who just didn't appreciate spiciness. Turns out they were right on this one.

I cracked open the bottle, and the first thing you notice is that your nose is assaulted by the smell of peppers (seemed like jalapeños to me); it's a peppery, leafy smell, with very little beer.

Poured a little into a tulip glass, and gave it a taste. Ugh. Spicy pepper juice overwhelms the taste of what was probably a really fine beer underneath. There's a slight hint of ale, but mostly hot peppers all the way through. Burns your tongue, and burns your stomach going down. Just nasty.

Gave a sip to my girlfriend (who also likes Stone), my brother, his girlfriend, my mother, my sister, and my father (who got me in to craft beer, and who rarely dislikes a beer). All agreed: This is heinous. I can't say I'm disappointed by Stone because this was clearly one hell of an experiment, but I think it's safe to say that they can stay away from the peppers for now. Too bad too, because they designed a beautiful bottle to keep this poison in.

edit: As others have mentioned, this beer would be greatly improved by Stone turning back the heat on this one; they're taking a great base beer (Lukcy Basartd) and completely obscuring it with a bunch of peppers. I'm fine with a beer tasting of pepper, but it should still taste like a BEER too.

4.81/5  rDev +70.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think this beer is absolutely wonderful. The smell is insane - just really fresh chile peppers. The taste is just as good. I have to say I tasted zero barrel or bourbon, but that doesn't matter. The pepper taste is spectacular. Very hot, but not just heat, very fresh and complex. It is like you can taste each individual style of pepper. My favorite beer from Stone.

4.03/5  rDev +42.9%

500ml corked/caged bottle poured into little sampler glasses. Currently, BeerAdvocate classifies this as a chile beer, and I'm going to review it as such. I expect chiles to be forward. And I like spicy.

Pours reddish brown, moderately clear, looks nearly flat. Almost no head, very little active carbonation. Smell is peppers. Something is sweet and caramelly in the background.

Taste is dominated by peppers. Just before the heat flash, there was a hint of that sweet and caramelly flavor, but as soon as the heat hit, that's all there was. I taste mostly habanero. There is definitely some smokey flavor. Some serious bitterness, too. If I take a sip, there's a moment where I can detect interesting flavors, and then a longer period of time where there's nothing but spice, and then that fades to a mellow smoldering pretty quickly. The smoldering lasts for a long time. In terms of my spice level, at a sipping pace, it's well within my comfort zone, but if I were to drink it faster, I think the heat would build.

Mouthfeel is silky, a little slick (I'm not including the burn as part of mouthfeel). Overall, this is my favorite chile beer. It nearly overpowers beery characteristics with the spiciness, but not quite, and the beery characteristics are interesting and tasty.

3.17/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I usually don't waste my time writing out reviews, but seeing as though the reviews for this beer are so polarizing, I figured I'd give an unbiased review to help people out. To begin with if you've never had a chile beer, or are not able to tolerate spicy things (and let's be honest to us in the South this isn't very spicy) then you probably won't like this beer. If I have one major complaint it's the $15 price I paid for this beer. In terms of the beer itself you have to compare apples to apples. Not everybody is going to like chile beer, and this doesn't appear from the outward appearance to be a chile beer, especially since Stone makes it. Some of the lower scores might be attributable to both the high price and deceiving nature of the outward appearances/description. All in all however, this is a solid chile beer; it's one of the better ones out there. That being said, it's still a chili beer nonetheless, and is much like a barley wine in that you can appreciate in limited amounts on a special occasion, but it's not preferable to consume on a regular basis.

Way to spicy. It over powers the entire beer. Not good at all.

If you are interested in the taste of spicy pencil shavings, then this is your beer. It's absolutely horrid. Novelty beers are becoming a joke, and this one is the worst of the worst. I wish stone would put more emphasis on producing quality beer than this garbage. I honestly can't believe this beer made it past Stone's QC department and onto store shelves.

3.94/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Celebrated New Year's Day with a glass of this a friend brought over to graciously share. Poured into large tulip glass. NOTE: I am a hot pepper lover and eat peppers and/or use hot pepper sauce almost daily. With that in mind, my review is likely biased.

Poured a dark golden to orange color with head that faded rather quick to a lacing. Bottle art pretty cool with corked & caged presentation. Smells of intensely fresh, green hot peppers. Reminds me of frying up some chopped habanero in a frying pan with olive oil with the heat just volatizing. Very intense heat not for the timid or faint of heart. But I like it. Don't get the oak or bourbon in the nose as the peppers pretty much mask everything else, including hops.

Tastes intensely green pepper fresh - again reminds me mostly of habaneros- along with fresh jalapeños. Then a wave of caramel and vanilla, likely from the malt & from the oak, then another wave of intense lingering heat. For my tastes, the heat is manageable - even enjoyable - but for those not liking a lot of spice or kick or heat, then this one is not for you.

Feels perceivably medium to full with good malt to bitterness. The amped up heat trick the mind into thinking this is a full beer because you simply must sip this due to the high levels of spicy pepper goodness. I mean, you wouldn't chug a bottle of hot sauce, would you? Nice carbonation. Alcohol well in check with no noticeable solventy character.

Overall, a very nice hot pepper chili beer. Somewhat one-dimensional and obviously not for those who don't like liquid heat. I think some of the other qualities of this beer (hops, oak, bourbon) are unfortunately masked. I dig that Stone tried pushing the boundaries with this. I would certainly drink again if offered the opportunity.

3.52/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

If you are not a fan of really hot stuff, stay the hell away from this beer..

Pours a semi-hazed caramel with a thumb of cream colored head. Never quite clears up, decent lacing & okay head retention

S: Serrano & other peppers, jalapeno & even some black pepper, great nose

T: Caramel, some pear & then an assload of pepper heat. Some oaky notes as this warms, then more heat. Finishes flaming hot with a little caramel & woodiness

MF: Medium bodied/chewy with low carbonation, warming in many ways

TOO DAMN Hot. My advice, if you have this let it sit a few years. Actually paired well with some dark chocolate. Stone, you jumped the shark with this one ( and punishment, from what I hear) . Pity, dial the peppers back about 90% & this beer would be great...

3.73/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As chile beers go, Crime is an excellent example of how it should be done. Deep copper in color, it pours with an ample head and produces lacing akin to its no chile based brethren. At this point, any other similarities to known styles are absent. The aroma is a mix of caramel and Scotch Bonnet peppers. While the pepper taste predominates, there is enough malt backbone to make it palatable. If this were a poorly brewed chile beer all you would get would be pepper bitterness and/or heat. Not the case here. Yes, it is hot, but not throat scorching. The burn is there and may be too much for those who don't like it hot. But for someone who likes spicy food, it's just right. Yes, there is plenty of chile flavor. But you can tell that there's other stuff going on to counterbalance the peppers and heat. The oak cuts the pepper acidity and malt lend a bit of sweetness. There's a nice amount of body and a bit of smokiness on the finish. It would be interesting to see where this beer goes in a few months once the heat subsides. That said, rating this beer is difficult. I tried to compare it to other beers in the same style, which accounts for its higher score compared to other raters.

2.97/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A - Dark amber body, nearly opaque, with two fingers off-white head. Very good retention and lacing.

S - Well you can certainly smell the peppers and bourbon, but also citrus and sugary malts.

T - Like a kick in the mouth, the heat is intense and is felt all the way down. The flavor of the peppers overpowers everything. A biscuit and sugary malt hides in the background with smokiness from the bourbon. The high abv is felt throughout lending to the spiciness.

M - Moderate/full body with moderate carbonation. Very sticky and thick.

O - I can't get through the bottle. I love spicy food, but not a big fan of spicy drinks. The flavors aren't well balanced or very enjoyable and the heat sits in your stomach. Overall this is very gimmicky and I'd much rather be sipping a Ruination.

2.19/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I love spicy foods, so I was intrigued to try this one despite the poor ratings. Appearance was fine, but nothing spectacular. The smell got me though. In a bad way. It was like someone left a plastic bowl of caramels in the microwave for too long, and the plastic bowl melted and caramel burned, and then tried to mask it with bourbon and chili peppers. Disgusting. I appreciated the hotness, even though it hurt. But multiple extreme flavors that don't come together cohesively is a bad thing. More burnt caramel and plastic here. The mouthfeel was like someone made sandpaper out of caramel-flavored sugar granules and scraped my tongue with it. Not pleasant. Really a horrid beer. One of two drain pours in my life. Ugh.

3.71/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark bronze color. Tiny flakes of yeast or pepper or something at the bottom. Huge, frothy head does not give up and clings to the glass in everlasting lace.

Smells like an angus burger flame broiled over an oak wood fire with pepper jack cheese and habanero sauce on top. Strangely enough, it doesn't smell too bad.

Smoked beef up front. Hint of oak. Caramel and brown sugar sweetness. Assertive herbal hops. Aged cheddar cheese. I can taste the essence of lucky bastard in the background. While all these wonderful flavors are intriguing my tastebuds, the peppers are battling for dominance. I hate to say it but the peppers have won. The end result is complete palate destruction. Not much to say in the way of balance. The funny this is, when I read the bottle and saw 102 ibu, I thought this was going to be a hop forward beer but I can hardly taste the hops underneath the relentless pepper flavor.

Full-bodied. Lightly carbonated. Leaves me with a numb, tingly feeling all over my mouth and lips.

I can respect the creator of this beer for thinking outside of the box and for pushing the boundaries of what beer is. However, I think he went a little too far. I enjoy the taste of peppers in my beer under certain circumstances but only when it is balanced with the malt, hops, etc. I think I would really enjoy this beer if the heat were dialed down about 60-70%. Nonetheless, I am glad I tried it.

3.97/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - 3.75 - The color is an amazing dark red/mahogany when you hold it up to the light. The head initially is an off white 2 fingers but immediatedely dies down to nothing, with no lacing then obviously.
S - 4.25 - Really interesting, definitely oak, and a lot of red pepper/spicy type smell. Almost a little like hot sauce, but a lot more mild and sweet.
T - Moment of truth - Very spicy up front but then dies down pretty quick, you can definitely taste the hops in the background and the oak barrels. Definitely has a sweet caramely malt that comes out the more you drink it. Wierdly it would go great with some ice cream or yogurt, but I think to just drink it straight it's a little much as the spiciness just keeps building up more and more. It's definitely making me think of all kinds of (probably bad) ideas for spicy beers - habanero stout maybe? I'd give it a 3.75 because I haven't had a chili beer that's better, but like the rest of them I wouldn't have it again.
M - 4.25 - Can't knock the spiciness since that was obviously what they were going for. Aftertaste is just spicy at the back of the mouth. Alc completely covered.
O - 4 - It's good beer, the caramel malt characteristics and hops still come out, but under the overpowering spiciness. I think people that have rated it really low just weren't prepared for a spicy beer.

4.72/5  rDev +67.4%

Amazing. To forgo the usual ASTM grading I will simply think this brew through.
Going in to it I wasn't exactly sure what "with peppers added" meant, but damn was I pleased to find out.
I love spice, and have had a few beers of this nature let me down in the past.
The smell and taste and mouthfeel are amazing, to put simply.
If you like spicy things, the label should read "DRINK ME!".
One of the best brews I have had in a while now.

4.77/5  rDev +69.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really MUST be out of my mind. Really, people tell me that... I never take it seriously but looking at the rating on this and then thinking of how much I enjoy it. Wow.

I'll put this on the table to begin with though, I love spicy foods. Of course, that have the "right" amount. And my tolerance is high, but not astronomical by any means either.

Pours a deep beautiful rust. With hues of light brown, scarlet, and orange, with a thin trace of carbonation that lingers as gentle tan clouds over the surface. Very beautiful. Just what I had hoped for.

The smell whips forward with the bouquet of peppers, touches of vanilla, a hint of bourbon buried beneath, a hint of smokiness, some caramel, and maybe just the slightest touch of booze amongst the peppers. It is a bit strange, it has an odd scent that is no doubt a result of the total intermingling and peppery oiliness. But, I can certainly overlook it for the total complexity.

The taste, wow. Did I mention I like spicy foods. It comes in smokey and oily, quite earthy, dips quickly into caramel malts and then rolls with the smoke into the peppers that twist and turn with a certain crispness. There is a vanilla and bourbon tone that upholds them as the heat increases. The delicate notes of char reside with the sweet malt tones and then a pleasant heat is left on the lips and along the tone and in the throat a bit. The first sip is a bit of a shocker. But I am completely dumbfounded by the mounting and lingering heat and how with each sip I continue the entire experience again and again without losing taste. And as it warms, there are even more delicate notes of lemon and pine that begin to show up.

Mouthfeel is oily, but medium bodied and surprisingly free flowing for being a little above 9% ABV. And obviously, before I forget, oh yeah... it's hot.

Overall. I don't know, maybe I am just not a wuss. Maybe it's because I do have a high heat tolerance... maybe it's because I have not had a boatload of other pepper beers but have had enough to know what I have expected out of others over the years. This is no Cave Creek or Ghost Face Killah. This has complexity, it doesn't scorch me so bad I cannot enjoy the beer. And on a winter night like tonight, it warms you up... and really hits the spot. I would agree the price mark was steep, but I'm glad I got it. If you can't handle heat, don't eff'n buy it.

But, excuse me, there is a little smoked gouda awaiting a perfect pairing.

2.02/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a hazy copper color with a tight, off-white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of chile peppers.

Tastes of spicy chiles with beer. Leads off with spicy chile flavors. I would say the heat is moderate, but not painful. There are some caramel malts that come in the middle, but they are washed out by a spicy finish. Really dominated by the chiles and not enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is terrible and a definite a ripoff at $17.73 for a 500. If for some reason you like the idea of mixing hot sauce with a little beer, then this is for you, but otherwise this is a beer to avoid. Let's just say this is enough to put me off Stone for a while.

Crime from Stone Brewing Co.