Punishment - Stone Brewing Co.

PunishmentPunishment

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: The beer pours hazy dark amber to chestnut under a thich cream colored film. S: Hot chili pepper aromas with some green chili vegetal aromas over bourbon. T: Chili pepper vegetal flavor and some malt are immediately blasted to oblivion by intense chili heat. The heat is too intense for any other flavor such as bourbon or bourbon barrel to come through. F: The beer has medium-low carbonation and medium-high body. O: This is a kind of beer that macho teenage boys dare themselves to drink. Adults might want to try something else. (536 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A: murky brown like the Crime I just drain poured

S: The Devil's balls after sitting in a hot tub for an hour

T: Those same Devils balls. This is brutally spicy and just hurts

F: Non existent. Just burning pain and anger. Feels like you wish you didnt just drink this

O: Seriously... WTF?!

Edit: I absolutely love spicy hot food. This isnt bout being able to handle the heat, its just a bad beer.Plain and simple. (418 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

Ugly appearance with lots of floaties, very spicy with an almost soapy taste. While I appreciate Stone's willingness to go out on a limb and create something different, this beer is a huge fail IMO. (198 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +35.5%

I enjoyed this beer, clearly a gimmick, but as far as it being a spicy beer, it delivers. I had it with a nice tritip sandwich and it did it justice...probably couldnt kill a whole bottle, but it was awesome (207 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a mahogany red-brown color with a nice thick head initially. The smell is a good indicator of how spicy this beer is. It smells savory and the burn from the combination of chiles hits you from your nostrils to the back of your throat. The taste.....initially this beer is sour and has a very strong chile taste. Then the heat kicks in. It hits your tongue and throat with a slow burn that lasts. To experience more of the spice of this beer I would recommend stirring up the bottle a bit before pouring. The dregs carry a decent amount of heat. If you are a fan if spice, this beer is delightful. It's pretty enjoyable to drink but it is a beer that is good for sipping or having with a meal, perhaps some fresh greens with a heavier protein. Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of this beer. I would definitely get it again. (844 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +56.9%

This is a beer for pepper heads!! Which I am one of them. I had this beer last St. Patrick's day. What can I say,I got high from the peppers, then from the alcohol.
If your not a pepper head, you can not appreciate this beer. The day after last st Patrick's day I went out and bought the last 2 bottles my local place in Eugene had. Now with a year of age I'm going to follow up the tradition and totally enjoy my second bottle. Cheers to you Greg. And thank you for my favorite pepper beer of all time! (504 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Orange, dark amber color. Some spots for lace.

Scary pepper smell, like nuclear wings. Very dry.

Oh my God, this is the most extreme of extreme beers. It is actually hotter than buffalo wings. You may need a beer to accompany this one. The aftertaste is forever and hot as hell.

Be prepared for this one. I think it's one of the great unique beers. It's something special, but it's not easy to drink. (406 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -55%

After hearing some people comment on this, well I dunno I'm nuts but I'm opening a bottle that I really wish I could just give away.

Anyway poured into a sniffer. No head, marginal fizz on top. The color is off, almost dirty.

The aroma is well burned vomit. With unlike crime a hint of sugar and caramel. There is actually beer behind the peppers which leads me to think while I may dislike this, I'll get beer from the bottle.

The first taste is well a flat caramel flavored beer, yes BEER. The beer then turns to fiery hell, but again stone has beer in this one! This is thousands of times better than expected.

I'll give stone some credit here, they did what they wanted. This is unlike crime a beer and it is absurdly hot. Why they made this, I have no clue. Why bourbon was more easily noticed on the bottle or the base beer being bastard than the heat? Well again marketing is clearly not out to help the consumer on the bottle itself.

Look it's still a terrible beer. Maybe a mixer for something but crazy expensive. There is no way bourbon barrels were needed for this but hey. It's a million times better than crime. (1,153 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Quite hot but not overbearing. I quickly grew accustomed the heat but that made the flavor of the base beer more apparent which wasn't necessarily a good thing. This level of heat in a sour ale, like Upright's Fatali Four, would be great. (240 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

This beer is like drinking liquid Capsaicin - really there is not much else to say. There is so much spice heat in this beer that there really isn't much else that you notice. Awful, awful, terrible beer and I'm severely disappointed I bought it. Should have checked Beer Advocate's rating before plopping down $35 on this guy! (330 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this as part of an annual Labor Day weekend homebrew/picnic have fun fest.
I actually think I picked up a bit of a seed at some point. Certainly an appropriate vegetal aroma that is green and pepper like. Good darkish head and a amber, muddy body.
Flavor is noted by heat. Within the taste a pretty darn good strong ale that mixes with the heat, pepper/vegetal flavor. The oak was a little hard for me to pick up.
Reasonable smooth and carbonated just fine.
This is actually not as bad as many score it. It is work to get through, but it has a place. I think that matching it with either spicy or to contrast non-spicy food may actually be okay to give a try. (669 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Corked and Caged bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a hazy caramel color with minimal off-white froth.

(S)- An enormous blast of capsaicin from the hot peppers. Seriously, not much else.

(T)- Again, just a massive burn from the hot peppers. Hotter than Crime, but better flavor.

(M)- It is just plain hot as hell. Massive heat to this. Too much heat actually. You start to lose any taste, and just feel a burn.

(O)- Simply nuclear. While I simply adore hot and spicy food, I think I draw the line when it comes to having it in my beer. It tasted fine starting out, but quickly changes to just start tasting like burning. (632 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -45%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: honestly right off the bat it looks incredible, pure amber...red-orange color makes you think you got something a little good. Medium bubbles thick head comes an off-white.

Smell: Pepper scent. Not bad at all.

Taste: F'ing liquid fire. So spicy you can't even pair it with food.

Mouth: okay it's sticky but not the kind of sticky you want.

Overall: I am telling you with the utmost confidence, this beer is a waste of money. It's punishment enough how much they charge for a bottle. I split this amongst friends and everyone agreed it just too spicy to even be called a beer. Best use for the beer is to use it for marinade. Which I ended up doing anyway. No beer wasted in this family. (732 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle into snifter. Bottled October 2013. Consumed after Crime.

A: Pours a murky dirty iced tea color with some tiny floaters beneath a soft light tan head that faded I to a fuzzy collar. Spotty lacing was left down the glass.
S: Similar to Crime (spicy pepper reminds me of fresh green peppers with a hint of roast. Sweet caramel and a touch of hop resin is in there as well), but much more raw green pepper. Really hot smelling.
T: Hints of the base double bastard are noticeable up front just for a second before the flavors are immediately overshadowed by flavorful green chilies and then burning. Similar to Crime except there's actually a touch more sweetness up front before the burn, and there's a hotter lingering burn.
M: Medium-full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel. Not greasy or overly boozy, or as rough as I thought it would be. Really clean burn, really really hot. Low carbonation.
O: Holy hell this is hot. Definitely still drinkable, but there's such a long lingering burn. Not greasy but very clean long burn.

EDIT: I had no heartburn while drinking these, nor any stomach problems the next day. It didn't even burn coming out. Win. (1,161 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -65.5%

One of the worst ever. I couldn't finish it. The name punishment says it all. Do people really like this? I like hot peppers and a little Beer kick is cool but this is just silly. I hate pouring out beer but I couldn't take another burning punishing sip of pain and tongue torture. I couldn't even describe the mouthfeel or taste or other senses. The did a good job if the wanted to ruin the beer with this one. Not sure what the goal was or if this is a joke. I see it around and it's expensive so people must like it but it nots for me (537 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Confession: I'm not big on hot peppers,but in recent years I've gotten a bit more into spicier foods. I'm a bit intimidated by this one. Deep brown hued with a bit of light haziness. A quarter inch of khaki colored head rests on top. Odd aroma from the chilies and peppers almost gives it a cinnamon sweet aroma. Not inviting. Whoa! That first taste tells me all I need to know. I'm way out of my league. All I get is a burning sensation and a scorched palate. My tongue and especially my lips are burned. I think my chances of finishing this are zero. I can't recall the last time that happened. I honestly poured the rest out without another sip. FAIL! (654 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -37.4%

Holy hell. I usually love Stone. But this...this is aptly named...Punishment, for being a loyal consumer. I like spicy foods...always like to chase them with a nice, cold beer. But this...what do you chase with when it's the beer that burns you?

It looked great. It smelled interesting, definitely had some crazy pepper in there, a bit of a raw edge to it...

Taste, though...How do I even sum it up?

My wife looked at me after my first sip and asked what was wrong. I think my unprepared response is the best review for this beer:

This...this beer tastes like drinking liquid heartburn.

Mouthfeel...like swallowing your own stomach acid...at least the burn subsided quickly.

I'm not one to drain pour a full bottle, especially one this expensive, but wow, short of using it to marinate some steaks, I can't see any other way I'm going to get through this bottle. (869 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

ok, it's a spicy beer, i get that . . . but it's just too hot to enjoy. i love hot food, but this is, sadly, about 10-15% too hot to enjoy. too bad, because it looks wonderful. someone else said "I can't understand how someone who would spend the money to buy this would rank it low!". wth? so, the logic here is if it costs a lot (and $20 for a bomber is a lot to me), i have to rank it well? ummm . . . no, i don't. i'm glad i tried it, but i won't be back. (459 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -46.3%

Appearance - pours a murky caramel/brown. A finger of light mocha look a little thin around the sides but creamy on top. Pretty good resilience, stick, lace.

Aroma - sweet and malty at first, peppery on setup. Green, herbal, spicy...smells anything but refreshing, punishment is certain.

Taste - a brief sweet open, and then...wow, what a hot ass beer. Green, herbal, freaking spicy, that's it. A long fiery finish. I have already jammed the cork back in and re-caged the rest, but how in the hell am I going to finish the glass? Brutal, not enjoyable at all.

Mouthfeel - too hot to detect.

Overall - by far the most expensive drainpour ever. Actually, no, I'm still too damn cheap for that. I poured what I could back in the bottle, maybe an ounce less than full. It is headed for a brutal entry into the next beer tasting. I love Stone but this is one of the 5 worst beers I've ever had. Yikes, I'm feeling a little nauseous after that. (942 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

500 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter.
12% ABV, 82 IBUs

A - Deep copper in color, Punishment is a hazed beer that's briefly topped by a light khaki head that settles to a ring of foam inside the snifter.

S - Mango and habañero are ripe in Punishment, reminiscent of zesty wing sauce with a follow up of semi-sweet caramel-drizzled toasted bread malt for a bold aroma that'll easily scare off the faint of heart.

T - Like Crime before it, Punishment shows it's true beer nature before the flavor and, subsequently, the heat rear their collective "ugly" head. Double Bastard provides quite the base for Punishment's excessive chili flavor and heat, wonderfully balancing them with alcohol and malty sweetness.

M - With a smooth and medium-full body, this chili beer has a soft opening that's quickly ripped from the tongue with brute force. Attacking chili peppers assault the taste buds with numbing spicy heat that, for this guy, slowly induces a lower eye lid sweat all the while maintaining the balance between flavor and heat.

O - Punishment takes Crime and ups the ante slightly. To be quite frank, from their description, after enjoying Crime I was pretty nervous for the heat level of Punishment but, it's damn similar. Both beers convey a hear-burn inducing heat level that tugs at facial sweat glands while maintain a good flavor profile of chilies. While chilies are the focus, this beer keeps a clear "beer" base but it's futile time in bourbon barrels is identical to that of Crime; non-existent in aroma or flavor. (1,545 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a murky brown color with a smallish tight toasted khaki head.

The aroma is malty sweet. Big caramel and toffee notes. There is a strong vegetal aroma from the peppers. A little heat detected. Lots of vanilla from the barrel. Quite a strong aroma; the veggie notes is a tad too strong.

The taste is of a sweet brown malt along with caramel and vanilla. The heat from the peppers blasts through the sweetness. Again quite vegetal. It's quite sweet and the veggie flavor seems to bring the sweetness past cloying. The heat from the peppers is used as an offset. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the veggie flavor.

The body is moderate with soft carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate and sticky in the finish. Plenty of heat but I seem not to have too much of an issue with it. Sweetness is cloying.

Punishment didn't seem to bother me as much as crime. It is still too sweet and vegetal for my liking. (918 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +57.8%

I'm floored. I mean, what is with the rating on this? There is a reason this is marked as a chile beer... and not a "beer like all other beers" and a "beer for a wuss"... is there something I am missing? I'm glad o see my favor lands in similar areas with other people. But I just can't believe some of the low scores and explanations on this. Maybe I haven't had enough chile beers. But I found this pretty stellar for chile beer.

My suggestion, let it warm up quite a bit.

Appearance is great. Pours thick with a very small carbonation for the head that dissipates and lingers around the edges. The head has a slight off-white. The beer itself is a great hazy ruby with a rusty brownish tone. Hues of orange around the thin areas when held to the light.

The smell is pretty much dominated by the peppers. Which really smell pretty wonderful, they create a great bouquet to the nose that gives it this almost vegetal and airy field like presence. You can pick up on some of the malt. Maybe a hint of smokiness and you can tell the beer has been barrel aged. Though unfortunately, the bourbon seems pretty lost to the peppers. The smell made me smile though... and when a beer makes me smile, by the smell alone, that makes me happy.

Taste. I love spicy food, flavorful foods, drinks, I like it all. This has a full heat that is spicy but REALLY warm. It really comes on with a hint but rises as the malty brew passes through. It is that slow progression that I really love. Spicy on the lips too. What has impressed me about this (the same with Crime), is that each sip is a restart to the first sip. You get the malt sweetness that is reminiscent of plums, raisins, dark dry chocolate, vanilla and charred wood with bourbon. The booziness is spot on, right in there where it should be. I get a hint of toasted sugars. A brown sugary deal going on. And then the flood of peppers. Very fresh peppers hat really make the beer lively and impressive. This is a really great chile beer.

The body, is prefect. It is thick and smooth and hot. I don't think I could ask for anything more in a beer of this ABV and style. The carbonation is also just right. It just all fits together... not clunky at all. And a fire that coats the mouth, and lips. A warmth that is intense but really well done.

Overall... it is a winters night. This beer made sense... Maybe I was biased by the abrasively cold, below zero weather and high winds. But this is a devastatingly good chile beer. I won't be hurt to see this beer sit on the shelves awhile so that I can indulge again in it. If you are a true lover of big beers and really hot peppers, this is the ticket. (2,649 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Some of these ratings are really really sad, to me it seems as if some of the people who tried it did so just to say they tried this beer and didn't really care about getting the experience out of this rare gem. It seems as if a lot of the ratings are not reflecting the quality and STYLE of the beer, people are rating what they think of the beer more than the style itself, if you don't like spicy beer/food why are you drinking a crazy bold spicy beer made by a brewery that always does things over the top and then bashing them for doing an amazing job with a beer that no other brewery could pull off!?
Beer has a unappealing brownish color with no head or carbonation to speak of, but looks like it has some good oily body to it. Aroma is hard to nail down very spicy smelling but also smells like fresh fruit...? slight sweetness in the nose but not much. Taste: wow, the bottle describes it pretty well, the heat gets more intense of course as you drink more, definitely the most spicy hot beer I've ever had, puts rogue's chipotle ale and 6 rivers chili pepper ale to shame as well as cave creek. the awesome thing about this beer is that the bourbon barrel sweetness really comes out, very rich with a bit of booziness but it all goes well together, mouthfeel on this beer is amazing, very low carbonation which is good for a beer so rich and spicy and there is also a slick oiliness to it.
Overall: Try it if your like me and are always looking for something new and different, and like rich complex beer with good food, I ate this with some chicken wings and fresh veggies. also share this with 3 or more people, I shared mine with 4 other people and still didn't finish the bottle, very spicy, filling, rich and delish but only able to have 2 to 4 oz. I look forward to trying the crime. (1,801 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

500 ml bottle, with 2013 vintage date., Acquired this bottle along with Stone Crime at the local Binny's with a giftcard. Stone Crime was hot as hell, but tolerable at least. I'm expecting similar results here, but I'm expecting the unexpected. Shared this bottle with a friend (mfndsvp).

Poured into a miniature Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.

A - Pours a dark reddish caramel colored body with about a finger of fluffy khaki tan head. Looks like how Stone Crime looked. Some nice thin khaki lacing. Looks pretty nice, in all honesty.

S - Smell is of fruity and vegetal peppers. Some cucumber, mango, and fiery jalapeno / habanero peppers. Mild caramel and oak wood is definitely noticeable when you look for it, but the peppers dominate. Mild heat noticeable also, but the smell is actually quite pleasant, again much like Stone Crime.

T - Taste is much in the vain of Stone Crime. The sweet caramel malts, tea leaves, and oak wood are apparent, but the hot fiery peppers take over fast and hard.

M - Feel is hot and fiery, well built with good carbonation, but the heat from the peppers makes the beer nearly undrinkable.

Overall, just like the Stone Crime, I'm sweating and my tongue and mouth are on fire, but it was a unique drinking experience. I feel like this one was hotter and more intolerable than Stone Crime was, but that could be my imagination. Glad I got the chance to try these and share them with friends, but I would not try these again, especially for the high price tag.

Stone Punishment ---3/5. (1,530 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing the pain

Consumed 1/15/13

Appearance: Medium amber, definitely hazy, kind of murky - pours with a small, light beige head, fades to a wispy cap, leaves some nice spots of lacing

Smell: Smells like ouch - this is utterly packed with peppers, crammed with capsicum - the scent of peppers is definitely reminiscent of Stone Crime, but it's also more intense - fleshy peppers, hot pepper seeds, and hot sauce - the peppers here are so potent that I can't quite discern anything else, except for some sweetish malts at the base

Taste: Ow, that's my mouth - this is brutally, unforgivingly hot - I gave Stone Crime a relatively good score because it was somewhere between hot and really hot - Punishment is somewhere between really hot and genuinely undrinkable - there is a lot of pepper flavor, and the Double Bastard cooked malts actually shine through, but any and all flavors are blown away by the finish, which is literally fire and pain

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation, finishes with burning agony

Overall: Quite literally for masochists

I love spicy foods. I love hot sauce. I enjoyed Stone Crime. But I don't enjoy this. This hurts. This is interesting, but I'm quite seriously thinking about not drinking the rest (but saving it and using it to cook with some beans or something).

Update: I couldn't drink this. I enjoy spicy foods that literally make my eyes water and my nose run. But this crossed some kind of line. A line that I didn't even know I had. But I did save it, and I added it to some rice and beans. The result was stellar. I thought about upgrading my score, but this is a beer, not a hot sauce... (1,669 characters)

Punishment from Stone Brewing Co.