Punishment - Stone Brewing Co.

PunishmentPunishment

poor

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  12.00% ABV

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011)
Reviews by angrybabboon:
2.66/5  rDev -6.3%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing the pain

Consumed 1/15/13

Appearance: Medium amber, definitely hazy, kind of murky - pours with a small, light beige head, fades to a wispy cap, leaves some nice spots of lacing

Smell: Smells like ouch - this is utterly packed with peppers, crammed with capsicum - the scent of peppers is definitely reminiscent of Stone Crime, but it's also more intense - fleshy peppers, hot pepper seeds, and hot sauce - the peppers here are so potent that I can't quite discern anything else, except for some sweetish malts at the base

Taste: Ow, that's my mouth - this is brutally, unforgivingly hot - I gave Stone Crime a relatively good score because it was somewhere between hot and really hot - Punishment is somewhere between really hot and genuinely undrinkable - there is a lot of pepper flavor, and the Double Bastard cooked malts actually shine through, but any and all flavors are blown away by the finish, which is literally fire and pain

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation, finishes with burning agony

Overall: Quite literally for masochists

I love spicy foods. I love hot sauce. I enjoyed Stone Crime. But I don't enjoy this. This hurts. This is interesting, but I'm quite seriously thinking about not drinking the rest (but saving it and using it to cook with some beans or something).

Update: I couldn't drink this. I enjoy spicy foods that literally make my eyes water and my nose run. But this crossed some kind of line. A line that I didn't even know I had. But I did save it, and I added it to some rice and beans. The result was stellar. I thought about upgrading my score, but this is a beer, not a hot sauce...

angrybabboon, Jan 15, 2014

Jason, Tuesday at 02:29 PM
2.5/5  rDev -12%

codysjb, Jan 18, 2014
4.26/5  rDev +50%

Let's be clear about something; if you can't handle heat, you aren't man (or woman) enough for this beer. 6 of us sampled this, and we all enjoyed it. I am not even a big fan of spice, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A: Cloudy, murky and dark amber
S: peppers. Lots of peppers. It almost smells like a jalapeño pizza with extra jalapeños.
T: First, you're assaulted with a wave of intense heat. Take a small sip and swirl it just to coat your mouth and get the initial shock over with. After that, take the time to enjoy it. There is a lot of good in the taste, some caramel and roasted flavors, a little vanilla, and some buttery notes before being once again washed out by the heat. The finish is pure heat.
M: Dense and oily, this beer coats your throat the entire way down.
O: A rather enjoyable, if somewhat masochistic, brew from Stone. You will NOT want to finish a bottle on your own. I had about 4 ounces and was done. I could feel the capsaicin burn from my mouth all the way down into my stomach, and every burp tasted like jalapeño pizza afterwards. I'd honestly recommend anyone try this beer, just don't focus too much on the heat and it's pretty damn good.

SuperbikeShaun, Nov 24, 2013
1.1/5  rDev -61.3%

Listen Guy, this is the worst beer I have ever had besides Crime. Do not waste your money, sobriety or time. The smell made me want to throw up. My 3 friends and I could not drink more than a sip each. We poured ours out and drank a Founders Backwoods Bastard to bring our palates back.

knowitall, Dec 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +49.6%

MicroBeerMan1980, Jul 28, 2014

xdefeatsy, Nov 23, 2013
2.01/5  rDev -29.2%

Confession: I'm not big on hot peppers,but in recent years I've gotten a bit more into spicier foods. I'm a bit intimidated by this one. Deep brown hued with a bit of light haziness. A quarter inch of khaki colored head rests on top. Odd aroma from the chilies and peppers almost gives it a cinnamon sweet aroma. Not inviting. Whoa! That first taste tells me all I need to know. I'm way out of my league. All I get is a burning sensation and a scorched palate. My tongue and especially my lips are burned. I think my chances of finishing this are zero. I can't recall the last time that happened. I honestly poured the rest out without another sip. FAIL!

Franziskaner, May 03, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -12.7%

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, spice flavor. This one seemed even more hot and spicy than it's little brother, Crime. This is Crime on spicy steroids! Tough to drink much, if any, of this beer, though it is unique and worth trying (once!).

Medium mouthfeel.

If given the choice, I'd drink Crime before drinking Punishment.

ehammond1, Aug 26, 2011

TKEbeerman, Dec 19, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

WVbeergeek, Dec 01, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

Quite hot but not overbearing. I quickly grew accustomed the heat but that made the flavor of the base beer more apparent which wasn't necessarily a good thing. This level of heat in a sour ale, like Upright's Fatali Four, would be great.

01001111, Sep 07, 2014

Gonzoillini, Dec 18, 2013

StoutItOutLoud, Jun 07, 2014

BuschLeagueOC, Jul 19, 2014
2.59/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a murky brown color with a smallish tight toasted khaki head.

The aroma is malty sweet. Big caramel and toffee notes. There is a strong vegetal aroma from the peppers. A little heat detected. Lots of vanilla from the barrel. Quite a strong aroma; the veggie notes is a tad too strong.

The taste is of a sweet brown malt along with caramel and vanilla. The heat from the peppers blasts through the sweetness. Again quite vegetal. It's quite sweet and the veggie flavor seems to bring the sweetness past cloying. The heat from the peppers is used as an offset. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the veggie flavor.

The body is moderate with soft carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate and sticky in the finish. Plenty of heat but I seem not to have too much of an issue with it. Sweetness is cloying.

Punishment didn't seem to bother me as much as crime. It is still too sweet and vegetal for my liking.

Gmann, Feb 06, 2014
Punishment from Stone Brewing Co.