Punishment - Stone Brewing Co.

PunishmentPunishment

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-06-2011

"What do you call it when Greg takes his entire harvest
bounty of chili pepper varieties from his own personal garden, take half of them and add to...and thus ruin...an otherwise beautiful oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale?"

A: "A Crime!"

---

Q: "What do you call it when you take a sip of oak barrel aged Double Bastard Ale that's had the other half of the bounty of chili peppers from Greg's home garden ceremoniously added in, resulting in a punishingly intense level of hot pepper heat to an already overly intense beer whose elevated alcohol level caused a significant transference of pain-inducing
capsicum?"

A: "Punishment."

Reviews by noyellowfizzbeer:
4.75/5  rDev +51.8%

4.01/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Orange, dark amber color. Some spots for lace.

Scary pepper smell, like nuclear wings. Very dry.

Oh my God, this is the most extreme of extreme beers. It is actually hotter than buffalo wings. You may need a beer to accompany this one. The aftertaste is forever and hot as hell.

Be prepared for this one. I think it's one of the great unique beers. It's something special, but it's not easy to drink. (406 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

The worst beer I've ever had.
Such a waste of a good batch of Double Bastard and the barrels it was aged in. (109 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

4.24/5  rDev +35.5%

Let's be clear about something; if you can't handle heat, you aren't man (or woman) enough for this beer. 6 of us sampled this, and we all enjoyed it. I am not even a big fan of spice, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A: Cloudy, murky and dark amber
S: peppers. Lots of peppers. It almost smells like a jalapeño pizza with extra jalapeños.
T: First, you're assaulted with a wave of intense heat. Take a small sip and swirl it just to coat your mouth and get the initial shock over with. After that, take the time to enjoy it. There is a lot of good in the taste, some caramel and roasted flavors, a little vanilla, and some buttery notes before being once again washed out by the heat. The finish is pure heat.
M: Dense and oily, this beer coats your throat the entire way down.
O: A rather enjoyable, if somewhat masochistic, brew from Stone. You will NOT want to finish a bottle on your own. I had about 4 ounces and was done. I could feel the capsaicin burn from my mouth all the way down into my stomach, and every burp tasted like jalapeño pizza afterwards. I'd honestly recommend anyone try this beer, just don't focus too much on the heat and it's pretty damn good. (1,175 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -64.2%

Listen Guy, this is the worst beer I have ever had besides Crime. Do not waste your money, sobriety or time. The smell made me want to throw up. My 3 friends and I could not drink more than a sip each. We poured ours out and drank a Founders Backwoods Bastard to bring our palates back. (286 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

2.06/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Confession: I'm not big on hot peppers,but in recent years I've gotten a bit more into spicier foods. I'm a bit intimidated by this one. Deep brown hued with a bit of light haziness. A quarter inch of khaki colored head rests on top. Odd aroma from the chilies and peppers almost gives it a cinnamon sweet aroma. Not inviting. Whoa! That first taste tells me all I need to know. I'm way out of my league. All I get is a burning sensation and a scorched palate. My tongue and especially my lips are burned. I think my chances of finishing this are zero. I can't recall the last time that happened. I honestly poured the rest out without another sip. FAIL! (654 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -20.4%

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, spice flavor. This one seemed even more hot and spicy than it's little brother, Crime. This is Crime on spicy steroids! Tough to drink much, if any, of this beer, though it is unique and worth trying (once!).

Medium mouthfeel.

If given the choice, I'd drink Crime before drinking Punishment. (729 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Quite hot but not overbearing. I quickly grew accustomed the heat but that made the flavor of the base beer more apparent which wasn't necessarily a good thing. This level of heat in a sour ale, like Upright's Fatali Four, would be great. (240 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +16.3%

Punishment from Stone Brewing Co.