Old Guardian BELGO Barleywine - Stone Brewing Co.

Old Guardian BELGO BarleywineOld Guardian BELGO Barleywine

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 02-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Guardian BELGO Barleywine Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Bomber poured into an oversized snifter. Impressive clarity in the body, impressive patches of lacing left in the wake of the creamy head.

The substantial booziness isn't strong enough to hold back strong aromas of clove, coriander, orange zest and apple. Caramel sweetness lingers. Tastes pretty hot, though; the booze takes control for a few moments and the lingering warmth is impressive. Even fruitier than it smells, with loads of banana, orange and apple, hints of pear and melon. Bubblegum and herbal notes aren't shy. While the citrusy hops are noticeable, the rawness of the Belgo version seems to come more from the booze than the hops. Plenty of sweetness, but not particularly sticky.

Overall impression: This won't be replacing too much shelf space in my cellar devoted to the badass regular Old Guardian, but it shows promise. Enjoyable sipper, and I'll probably sock away a couple of bottles to see what happens.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Got a couple 22's of this at the local BevMo.

A-Pours a copper-red color into my Gulden Draak tulip glass, with about two fingers of head.

S-Spicy with a little hops and you can definitely pick-up the belgian yeast strain. Smells almost like a Belgian Strong Ale.

T-Bubblegum up front with some toasty malt following. Good hop presence, but not as strong as the regular Old Guardian. Alcohol level is present, but not overpowering.

M-Thick and creamy with a decent level of carbonation.

D-I really enjoyed this beer overall. It went down smoothly, and would probably get even better with age (put the second in my cellar to find out). Another great beer from Stone. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked up at the COOP over the weekend... Poured into my Delerium goblet... 3/4" tannish foam dies pretty quickly but leaves okay lacing... the brew is a hazed orangish lite amber.

Nose shows nice clove notes and some pink bubblegum... some citrus hops show as lemon zest..

Flavor is damn phenolic... the bubblegum is more than present and lingers.. the cloves show as an almost antiseptic quality.. fruity esters make way mid palate with pear and red apple.. a bit of pale malt and minor toasty malt combine with fruity hops just to remind you this is made in America.. I dig this one, but right now it doesn't really come together.... the esters and phenols sorta battle it out for top spot while fruity hops slide in and add more to the overall confusion..

Not really sure what to make of this one; personally, I like it... but I still have more than half a bomber left and I suspect it is going to be a chore.

3.5/4/4/4/3.5

A: Pours a copperish red color with a 1/2 finger head that fades quickly

S: Belgian yeast jumps right to the front, with a strong banana character. Malt and hops are quite muted behind the yeast

T: Same as the smell, with some alcohol spiciness. Hops are almost not present until it warms a bit, which is quite different than the regular version. The belgian yeast definitely takes over for both the smell and taste

M: Fairly heavy with low carbonation

D: About as drinkable as a 12% beer can be, the belgian yeast definitely adds an interesting quality that I like. The bitterness that is in the original version is barely present, which was the only flaw that I saw out of this early of a barley wine. Very nice job by Stone incorporating the belgian yeast

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I had this the first time about two years ago. But it stood out to me greatly. I got onto a barley wine kick from then. I'm planning to get another bottle soon.
a bit sugary and the malts are not the best. nice alcohol presence. grainy which i actually enjoy but some might not. not the best barley but something somewhat unique. anyways i appreciate it for getting me into beer somewhat and into barleywines.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours ruby red with light mist of white head. Candy aroma of sweets, booze, cherries. Powerful flavors of booze, dark fruit, black cherries, some hops in the background, grass, cough medicine. Heavy bodied with medium carbonation. A big, boozy barleywine that hits the palate hard. A Guardian I wouldn't mess with.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

22 ounce bottle, 2011 release. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/orange color with about a half inch off-white head that didn't stick around for too long. There's a small amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is caramel malt, bananas, spicy yeast, pepper and a bit of lemon peel. The flavor is a little boozy, but I can also taste pineapple, piney hops, caramel malt, pears, grapefruit, toffee and peppery spice. There's also a nice bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's syrupy and creamy with good carbonation. Drinkability is OK, but I think it's still a little hot and would be better with some aging. I think it's a good brew, I'll have to pick up another bottle and see how this one ages.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a cloudy dark amber with great white head that fades very quickly.

The smell is lemon grass, wet dirt, and a hint of bready malt. The yeast makes this beer its own.

The taste is fairly complex alcohol is blended very well but still on the forefront of the taste. Lemon and a straw taste on the back with an alcoholy aftertaste.

I think this is a very good beer fresh but with year or two to mellow the alcohol out would let the malt shine through and the taste from the yeast die down some.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

A brilliant red apple color with a loose puffy head. The head fades but a ring stays. Bubble-gum all the way on the nose, with faint hints of banana, clove, and some fruity esters. The flavor hits you full of yeast driven flavors that are fruity, some bubble-gum but less so than the nose, well rounded malt charecter which isn't overly complicated. Bitter hops come in and clean up, leaving a bitter note on your tongue. Fairly slick over the tongue. For such a powerful brew no real sign of alcohol is present and it is pleasant to drink. Rating this is tough as it is an American Barleywine, but with Belgian yeast. I do really like this beer, I'd pick it up again.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Reddish orange, extremely clear, good amount of active carbonation, tall white head.

You can smell this bad boy a mile away. That fruity/funky Belgium yeast is over powering. We have another beer reminding me of the 08 epic and the cali whatever ipa they make. A touch more alcohol at the finish and a bit more caramel malt sweetness coming through. Hops are certainly making a showing here. The problem for me with this is that there's a clear burn/metallic /bitter presences but it is hard to be sure this is from the hops or the high abv.

Opens with a sweet caramel malt followed almost instantly by the fruity (somewhat a funky rotten fruit, apples, pears, and some candy) flavors from the yeast. The finish leaves the American hops (armallo) and a very harsh alcohol kick. There's also some bready malt that's coming out as the beer flattens out.

This beer has a weighy thickness without any creamy full body effect. The 12% is extremely apparent in the mouth, the weight, etc. There's a bit of carbonation but the alcohol wins that battle.

The alcohol kick certainly knocks the drink ability down a good bit. If you want fresh hops that's the trade off here. Age this and the carbonation and hops will die rather fast. I fear leaving a far too sweet beer. That said this may turn out to be an amazing beer to age. I certainly see more potential here than the 08 epic. .

4.72/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears in my Unibroue La Fin du Monde chalice with a semi hazed glowing blood orange tinted body and a very nice thicket of khaki tan head forming thick. Leaves behind fine intricate detailed lacing on my glass.

Aroma contains upfront peppery, spiced yeast inspired notes with a deep caramelized sugar tone going on with ripened plums/apricots and other hearty fruits. A touch of booze crosses the palate as well, what a beer.

Flavor isn't has harsh as I thought it was going to be, big citric/pine/earthy middle from the big hop additions in this aggressive barleywine style ale spiked with a Belgian yeast strain. Juicy complexity of ripened fruits hints of citrus/plum/apricots. Typically big American alpha acid hops don't blend in the Belgo IPA style that Stone has helped popularize, however with all of this malt in this big bruiser of barleywine I'm getting some nice flavors in the mix. Alcohol/booze is there but doesn't burn or hurt me per se. There's almost perfume like flavors with the spices/aromatics from the yeast strain utilized, wow this is a new direction for sure. I questioned when I heard they were going to go Belgo on odd years with some of their famous big beers, but damn this is good.

Mouthfeel as it warms up so does the heat of the alcohol, big body no effervescence in the carbonation. This is the type of beer that might cure your sore throat. Hop oils are there big bitterness but it doesn't kill the palate completely the warm spiced yeast profile with alcohol makes it seem like a mulled cider or fruit infused fortified wine.

Drinkability overall isn't bad at all, in fact it's kind of dangerous the type of beer that empties faster than your liver can metabolize it. 22 ounce bottle tackled without difficulty, not go forth and preach the word of what European Belgian yeast strains can do to awesome stand up American versions of alcohol, this is experimentation that didn't set us back but moved at least a few spaces forward in brewing.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary tulip.

Pours a dark ruby red similar to Bigfoot with a small head that lasts for a while. There is decent lacing on the glass that lasts for a while. You can smell the booze in this beer which may be intimidating at first. You also get a lot of the belgian yeast which makes it smell similar to Cali Belgique which I love so this is welcome. The taste is very good with stong malty barleywine chracter but the belgian yeast comes to the forefront at the end and honestly this just tasted like a stronger Cali Belgique to me. The mouthfeel can get a little over bearing after a while with all of the malts and yeast mix, but when a 12% beer goes down like it is 8% you know that it is drinkable and will get you in trouble if you down it quickly. Definitely worth a try if you like big barleywine or belgian beers.

2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

22oz bomber into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch offwhite head that dissipates steadily leaving no lacing. Pours a translucent red and leaves spots of lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast and citrusy, piny west coast hops. Smells like Houblon Chouffe only a bit sweeter. Very airy and inviting. With warmth it gets very boozy.

Taste: Spicy Belgian yeast up front with piny hops, leading to a confusing finish that's mainly dry and astringent. Some roasted flavors and maybe some malt sweetness are in the background, but they're overtaken by harsh bitterness and dryness.

Once I start to get used to the strange, flavor-draining bitterness mixed with dryness, the overwhelming solvent burn comes out to take its place as the other dominant flavor in the beer. After the first sip, there's no sweetness to the flavor whatsoever (this is a barleywine??). Some interesting things happen occasionally, like Belgian yeast playing off of, I guess, some of Old Guardian's big maltiness, but they're so fleeting and so kill-flies-with-sledgehammers annihilated by the alcohol, dryness, and astringency that they may as well not have happened at all.

This beer tastes over-attenuated, abrasive, yet bland. Rating to style, it probably deserves a 1 for taste, but at least it didn't taste like garbage.

Mouthfeel: Extremely dry. Medium bodied, very carbonated, and bitter, but hard to get anything from it besides aggressive dryness.

Drinkability: The best thing I can say is that I finished the bottle. I would have happily given it away and drank something else.

I was excited for this beer, because Stone is my favorite brewery and Old Guardian is a great barleywine. This beer was a hot, dry, bland mess. I can't even see years in the cellar doing anything to improve it. I don't understand why this beer is so dry, and so bad.

4.58/5  rDev +26.2%

(poured into a snifter)
This beer pours a deep, translucent red with very little head but noticeable bubbles along the edge of the glass at first. The aroma is quite complex with many subtleties all difficult to pinpoint: notes of strawberry, smoke, licorice, wood. The front of the beverage is quite oaky. The finish has obvious notes of the Belgian yeast added to this year's batch; the dryness really adds a new dimension to the glory of the barelywine. A wonderful take on a truly classic style!

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

A: semi dark mahogany amber, cloudy, minimal almond colored, head that shrinks quickly. sporadic oily lacing.

S: some mild booze, earthy grassy quality, malt and hops balanced in the nose.

T: bitter hops, resiny, saison like funk/grassyness. Big time hops in this one. extremely bitter! probably one of the most bitter beers I've ever had.

M: expected level of carbonation for the style, extreme hop bitterness. finishes harsh.

D: Given the ABV and harsh bitterness, this is not very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Stone bomber, Belgo Bwine, 2011 "Odd year release" version, picked up yesterday @ Ardsley, NY's DeCicco market.

Pours darker copper, lt. mocha head, stays at 1/8 of an inch, and leaves fine spots of lacing.

Malted up nose, with some whiskey and darker malt flourishes.

Full flavor BW, waves of caramel malts, infused with whiskey, some wood, smoke...with a long gently malty finish. Also some ripe tropical fruit comes to mind. I keep coming back to the smoke, the soft woody notes and the whiskey barrel undertones. Complex, dense flavors, heady stuff @ 12%, alcohol present but well hidden.

World class. Sublime. Got to get more of this one...

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

A: This one is colored with a red orange amber hue and is rather clear looking. Topped with a nicely sustained offwhite head which has good lacing.

S: Smells pretty fantastic I must say... very fruity. Blood orange or tangerine citrus pulp jump out at me as well as a belgian like yeast quality (looks like thats because they used belgian yeast go figure). Also notes of rose petal and other flowery perfume.

T: Hmm... not sure what to think on this. Its like a better stickier version of a belgian west coast ipa. I sort of think overall the sweet and dryness of it all works alright. Where old guardian is usually very sweet belgian yeast seems to have eaten more and dried it out a bit.?.. which I think I do like. However in the end perhaps too many flavors are competing for front and center. Fruity esters meets spice and meet in a sort of battle and not a merger. I like the notion of this beer though and would like to see more...

M: stiiiky icky

D: medium

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

Beautiful copper/red-orange/dark amber. Pours with good head. Not the best lacing.

Great nose. Detecting the usual sweet malt and of course hops (what else would one expect of a Stone brew). But there is also something... something strange... is it spice? Hmmm... not sure but making me nervous because I'm not at all a fan of spice.

This is as far from the normal 'barleywine style' taste as anything I have ever tasted. Even including the recent "Black Barleywine" from Sierra Nevada's 30th series. Most barleywines range from the sweet malt bomb at one end, to the more well-balanced sweet malt plus hops with interesting and complex esters in the middle, to uber-hopped versions that have as many pounds of hops that went into the brew as any respectable IPA. But this Stone "BELGO" seems to fall almost nowhere within this traditional range, and seems to remind me much more of some sort of Belgian ale. I wish I could be more specific and tell you more precisely which kind of Belgian influence. But alas, I will not lie and must admit my knowledge of Belgians is far from expert (nor highly appreciated since I'm not into spices). However, my knowledge of barleywines is highly respectable. Therefore, I say confidently, this one is an oddity. Certainly a surprise for any lover of regular Old Guardian or barleywines in general. On the other side of the coin, if you love Belgians and Belgian spice, then this is the "barleywine style ale" for you and a must try! Cheers!

Still highly drinkable, I would just refer to my description of the taste to see if this is going to be more toward your preferences or not.

4.43/5  rDev +22%

A: Pours a perfect amber hue, with pretty much no head or lacing. I did pour it from a bottle in a smaller than normal snifter, so maybe there wasn't enough of a fall for the liquid to produce a head.

S: The first thing that hits me is a delicious malty sweetness, which immediately makes me think Belgian rather than barleywine. As it warms up, a spiciness emerges which reminds me of a spiced beer... nutmeg, cinnamon and the like.

T: The Belgian influence is immediately apparent to me. If fact, it makes me want to expand my palate by trying more Belgians. I've tried a few and liked them, but tend to go for craft American brews before going to the world beers, but I need to remedy that. Anyway, back to the point, this is a great marriage of malt and yeast. The hops is balanced out well and comes in at the end with a mild bitterness.

M: This has a substantial mouthfeel, with moderate carbonation. There is a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.

D: This is much more balanced and drinkable than the regular Old Guardian, in my opinion.

I know I should score this a little lower for the style, because it seems to be half Belgian and half barleywine, but it tastes so good! I had to give it high marks.

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

This is how I remember great barleywines to be- deeply resiny, malty rich, and the beverage equivalent to a swift kick to the teeth.

The pour delivers a deep mohogany, dark amber hue but with an unexpected clarity for both intensely hoppy beers and Belgian-style ales. A froathy off-white cap tops the beer but succums to the alcohol and weight of the beer rather quickly, leaving a thin lace around the edge. Light on lacing, the beer displays brandy legging quite proudly.

Barleywine aromas dominate with the bullyish balance of intense malt sweetness and resiny hop perfumes to match. Alcohol and phenolic spice rise as the carbonation settles and the beer begins to warm. Fruitiness could be attributed to the normal procession of American barleywines ro could be a result of the new Belgian yeast. Regardless, the spicy/fruity Belgian notes are there but are cleaner than in more classic Belgian ales- more like those of Flying Dog Ragin' Bitch or Stone's own Cali-Belgique.

Flavors are much more intense than the nose suggests as the malt sweetness takes on proportions of scorched molasass, dry toast, and caramel-rich breads. Hop aggression soon matches the hops with a growing resiny flavor and sharp bitterness- grassy, piney, and acute grapefruit. In the interest of Belgian yeastiness, the beer adopts added, yet understated fruitiness, along with a peppery, medicinal (perhaps a little soapy) phenolic character that creates as many contradictory flavors as they do complimentary. The intense richness of malt and hop resins combine for a minerally, quite salty taste (with a somewhat metalic note).

Rich with a blend of expansive malt and unresolved syrups give sweetness and a fat mid-palate while leaving a savory stickiness on the mouth. Still, the tongue piercing bitterness create the sensation of dryness on the throat. Bitterness is to the extent that questions a grassy astringency. Alcoholic heat gives restrained yet solventy warmth without the fusal character that's expected from a 12% beer.

The mere intensity of hops with spice, alcohol, and deep malts shout complexity, even at the expense of causing difficulty in drinking, even for the most die hard beer advocate.

22oz into a goblet

A - Pours a dark brown to almost ruby color. Strong mocha colored head formation, breaks down to a film with little lacing. Incredibly clear, brilliant.

S - Strong belgian yeast strain. Some white pepper, cardamom, and just a little fruity esters. A caramel malt sneaks in just behind it.

T - Malty up front, light amount of caramel and toffee. Mid-stream gets a very estery, super strong belgian yeast note. Somewhat sour, sweet and a little bit fruity. Finishes with a strong alcohol warmth that is well retained in the aftertaste. Well this is a belgo-style, I'm surprised the hops played such little a role.

M - Moderate mouth feel, body is strong, somewhat creamy and thick. Carbonation is overwhelmed by it, so hardly a player. Finishes with a little bit of a cloying sugary note.

D - Moderate drinkability - scary abv, very sneaky and well hidden. Slightly filling, a little bit of a sipper.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

It looks like a glass of caramel. Same color, and very murky. 1/2" of fluffy head.

The nose is sweet caramel up front, then settles into heavy banana and clove.

I really enjoyed the taste of this one. It's the perfect combination of barleywine and belgian yeast. Heavy on the caramel sweetness with the belgian attributes of banana and a spicey finish. It's phenolic, but not to much due to the caramel.

Heavy and boozy mouthfeel.

Drinkability is a little tough. On one hand, it's extremely enjoyable due to the complexity of the flavor, but it is heavy. The high abv puts a burn in the chest, too. Definitely a sipper.

As a Stone apologist, I think the "odd beers for odd years" is a great idea and they really proved it with this one. Thankfully, we can have our cake and eat it, too, because we get this and the classic barleywine. I can't wait to see what's in store for the IRS.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

On-tap at Stone

A: The pour is a dark amber in color with a finger of off-white head and minimal lacing.

S: Wow, a lot of spice (coriander and pepper) going on here. Lots of phenols with a bit of bubblegum. Quite a bit of booze on the nose and it cannot really be covered up by the caramel and bread.

T: A surprising amount of fruit flavor: banana, pear, and citrus. Like the nose, plenty of spicy phenols. The malt is prominent and is mostly of bread and semi-sweet toffee. Noticeable alcohol flavor as well.

M: The body is medium to full with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This is significantly better than the previous Belgian Old Guardian, but it's still way too boozy for its own good.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a bright copper color, slight haze, and a pretty nice off white head.

Aromas are very yeast dominant, bubblegum, and some booze.

Strong yeast flavors up front, spices, bubblegum, and light creaminess. Finish is dry, with some earthy hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp and clean.

Drinkability is ok. It's an interesting tasting beer, but I mostly just get yeast flavors, and not a whole lot else. Worth trying, but I prefer the original version better.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Clear reddish orange colored beer with a small tan colored head.

Smell is distinctly Belgian. Sweet smoky with a spicy yeast aroma this smells strongly of cardamom. Scents of lemon, coriander and black pepper.

Starts out sweet with a cardamom aftertaste. Black pepper, lemon, coriander and a hint of vinegar. Can't taste the ethanol but you can really feel it warm your chest. Smoke and a little honeysuckle in this on.

Mouthfeel is thick.

Drinkability is OK. This one really needs time to develop, not yet ready for prime time.

Old Guardian BELGO Barleywine from Stone Brewing Co.