Green Flash / Pizza Port / Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Green Flash / Pizza Port / Stone Highway 78 Scotch AleGreen Flash / Pizza Port / Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 02-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash / Pizza Port / Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -18%

12 oz brown bottle purchased on 3/18/2011. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Relatively hard pour reveals a head which disappears quickly leaving practically nothing. Barely carbonated.

Tastes of light brown sugar and dark fruits. Malty and a bit boozy. Faint hop and smoke in the finish. Much more malt than hop. Sweet.

Heavy smooth mouthfeel with no carbonation. Lingering sweet coating stayed in my mouth for a while.

Overall I think it is too sugary to the point of being one-dimensional. Unbalanced and uneventful. I felt like I had just taken a spoonful of molasses when I was done. Heavy and hard to swallow. Not the best representation of the Scotch Ale style, but maybe they weren't going for that. At any rate, not my favorite scotch ale.

jongullotti, Mar 19, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours with 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly to almost nothing. Very little lacing. Dark caramel color with a touch of amber. Highly carbonated.

S - Aroma is sweet, peppery, and figgy

T - Malt is dominant. Quite a bit of sweetness, which then turns into a bitterness which I at first perceived was from the hops but perhaps more from alcohol. Sort of a mix between the two. Quite tasty IMO.

M - Medium to heavy bodied. Dry finish.

O - For me a very drinkable beer even at 8.8%. Very little alcohol in the nose or the palate for that ABV. I tend to enjoy malty beers such as this style, so I really enjoyed this one.

dmbsteve, Mar 19, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

A collaboration involving Stone and Green Flash!? I'm in! No disrespect to Pizza Port. I'm from the East Coast and have not had the pleasure of visiting San Diego so I am unfamiliar with your establishment.

Ruddy brown that you'd be able to see through if it weren't this dark. A thin head that quickly disappears leaving behind not much of anything. No lacing.

Moderate sweetness in the nose from the malts and a smoky peat smell, like many good Scotches. Alcohol is present here as well as caramel and dark fruit.

The taste is very similar to the smell with more caramel and dark fruits (prunes) and a finish that dries out before leaving entirely. The malts certainly dominate and I originally mistook the alcohol bite for a touch of hop bitterness. Now that I've nailed it down it is quite noticeable.

This has got a nice mouthfeel...medium, bordering on full. The alcohol warmth is welcome and compliments the maltiness nicely.

A multi-dimensional beer that would definitely put off many who are not used to the style. If all you drink are lagers, stouts or IPAs, this one will throw you. Barleywine drinkers will appreciate it though.

Naugros, Mar 19, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date. Single purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $3.49.

A: Very dark brown with initial 1-finger of light beige head which fades quickly and leaves a few light lace formations.

S: Very light malt and lactose aromas with some brown sugar and caramel and light herbal hopping.

T: Extremely sweet with a lot of sugary unfermentables. Maltiness is mostly brown sugar with some earthy hoppiness, more than in the nose. The peppery alcohol does help to draw out and enhance the maltiness, but it doesn't really add to the complexity much for me.

M: The unfermentables are very laborious on the palate and give this brew an over heavy feel.

O: Not a great Scotch Ale -- no smoke and too brown sugary -- and a let-down overall for this collaboration. It seems hastily conceived.

argock, Mar 19, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

A: About two shades darker than amber, but with the same hue. The one finger, reddish-brown head dissipated instantaneously.

S: Very candy-like, with lots of toasted caramel brown sugar.

T: VERY sweet with a sugar content that was through the roof! Very malty with a very stale caramel quality in general.

M: This was probably the most sugary brew I've ever tasted! The booze and sugar were just too much for me due to the fact there was no hoppiness (still appropriate for this style) to balance that out.

O: This was painstakingly sweet, but it got better once I warmed up to it. Admittedly though, Scotch Ales aren't really my thing

Chaney, Mar 19, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Reddish-brown body. Not much of a head or lacing.

S: Fruity, smoky, and alcoholic.

T: Malty with dark fruits and toffee. Some peaty and roasted notes. A bit of herbal hops and alcohol burn. They're all pretty muted, though, and they all come together in kind of a bland muddle.

M: Medium-bodied, somewhat chewy.

D: I never imagined Stone could make such a bland beer. Then again, I haven't really been in love with any of the Scotch ales I've had. Maybe this just isn't the style for me.

BarrelO, Mar 18, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Stone IRS tulip.

A - Pours a dark mahogany with slight reddish highlights and a thick head of bone-colored foam that eventually dissipates to a slight haze and ring.
S - Caramel malt, toffee, dried figs, a little bit of chocolate and tobacco. Very minimally hopped, surprising given the pedigree of the brewers involved.
T - Pretty close to the nose, I'm getting more caramel, fig, chocolate and just a hint of the tobacco. Tasty, but seems like a pretty typical Scotch Ale to me.
M - Smooth and slightly sticky, with a medium-full mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.
O - Not bad, and glad I tried it, but with the $5 I spent on a single bottle I woulda been halfway to a sixer of Founder's Dirty Bastard. Sorry, Stone.

jsanford, Mar 18, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -1%

Appearance- Beautiful red/brown color, off white/tan tightly packed head quickly recedes to leave a small film on top.

4.5/5

Smell- Wildflower honey, Dark fruit, and a somewhat sweet spicy fruitcake belgian smell, like something found in a quadruple. Smells interesting, but not getting any of the smoke I was hoping for.

4/5

Taste- Very similar to the smell, but nothing really stands out here. There's some sweetness and honey flavors, followed by some hop bitterness to balance it. It's actually not overly sweet and cloying, but also doesn't seem to have anything special to offer.

3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Very very smooth, minimal carbonation, medium to thick body that definitely coats the mouth. Slightly astringent finish.

4/5

Overall- Not the best example of a scotch ale, but call it a winter warmer and sell it for two bucks a bottle, and I'd be on board for sure. This was actually pretty good, I say grab it if you're in the mood for something smooth with nothing really extreme or off-putting.

sirdillon, Mar 17, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap at Teresa's Next Door, 3/16/11.

A-Dark brown, opaque, with a foamy off white head and good stickiness.

S-Leathery with tobacco, smoky with a nice underlying sweetness.

T-Much sweeter than the nose, and not as complex either. Sweet in the front, a little smoke in the back.

M-Medium bodied but a bit thin and somewhat undercarbonated.

D-Nice enough, not particularly memorable.

HV

sholland119, Mar 17, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -1%

Oh, bloody hell, this new freaking crap-ass profile sucks!! Now just hitting "enter" posts your quote...crap...Pours a nice ruby red. Short head, not much carbonation. No real lacing. Pours kinda syrupy...My guess is it's real malty...Basics: $2.69/12oz. bottle and 8.8% ABV...Nice on both counts. Aromas are weird. I get a dirty sock thing in there. Nice caramel malt character to it, though. I don't like the dirty socks, however. Maybe some fig in the back...Whoa, the flavor is downright yummy right upfront. A nice sweetness balanced well by some yeast bitterness. A little flash of effervescence from the light carbonation leads you into the middle, which carries that fig component well, all the way through the finish. Lightly hopped, which is a change for us Left Coasters...Pretty decent beer, and not too harsh on the pocketbook...

What I like Most: The downright yummy parts of the flavor profile.

What I like least: Other than the new profile, the off aromas...

Verdict: Good, not great, and nice value. Worth trying if you see it...

SolomonGrundy, Mar 17, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

-very dark brown with a reddish hue to it through the light. caramel/tan colored head on top that looks nice during pour and recedes to the outer circle

-brown smelling, like a dark bread. malty, but without a big scotchy smell. a bit roasty as well

-again, like a strong brown to start with...sweet bread notes with a very subtle caramel taste. the scotch taste comes in near the end and lingers a bit

-i am digging the mouthfeel. strong body, with a very silky feel to it. almost buttery feel. a bit of carb in there, but not overpowering. there's definitely some heat left in the chewing cage

-this is a solid beer and nice collaboration. almost leaning towards an imperial brown for me, but i enjoy drinking it

juhl31, Mar 17, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Chestnut-colored with a lace of brown bubbles. Aroma of caramel malts and alcoholic phenols. Very, very smooth with a characteristic Scotch Ale flavor: toffee, a touch of earthiness, and an alcoholic twinge. Straightforward, but fairly delicious -- and packs a punch.

RockyTopHeel, Mar 17, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

From tap to 4oz snifter at ChuchKey on 3/14/11
*From notes

A: Rich, chocolatey brown velvet in color. Nice 1.5 finger head with dissipating lacing.

S: Sugar plums, candied figs and quite a heavy dose of malt.

T: Somewhat smokey up front, followed by a heaping amount of rock candy and alcohol on the back. Really quite a pleasant brew.

M: Smoother then I'd expect for a brand spankin' new Scotch Ale. The carbonation is a bit prickly, but it's not overly offensive.

O: I can't wait to see what happens to this one with a little bit of time in the cellar. There's a lot of potential here, though it's certainly drinking well now.

Rhettroactive, Mar 16, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -1%

Because this involves Stone, Green Flash, and Port Brewing, we all know this is going to be about the hops, those green little flowe...what's that? You mean it's only lightly hopped? Well then, I shall re-adjust my expectations. From a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

A hard pour into a small chalice creates a color that is caramel brown and pale orange hues. The head, which is short to begin with, fades to a thin lace on top. The smell has a little bit of smoke, peat smoke, tobacco, unsweetened chocolate, no hops. Aromas could be a little more intense.

No trouble in the taste department. The alcohol, labled to be at 8.8% ABV, takes a back seat. Tobacco leads the charge early with a pleasant sweet/smokey combo. There's a vague peppery element that spices the picture, one I can't put a figner on. Overall flavor gets two thumbs up, mouthfeel....one up and one down. It seems a little light for its size, but on the other hand, so is the traditional Scotch Ale.

No gimmicks or exotic ingredients for this scotch ale. This is full of flavor, easy to sit back and sip (or in my case, drink), and one I imagine would make a great cigar beer.

DoubleJ, Mar 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Impressions: The taste and scent of scotch is very prevalent in this brew. It's tasty, but it's not a beer you could down several of in one sitting. The scotch essence makes the considerable alcohol content felt.

It's an interesting collaboration, and it makes me happy to see Stone and Green Flash, two of my favorite breweries, working together.

Overall, I'd say this beer is a great success for its style.

Fikash, Mar 16, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler, Highway 78 Scotch Ale is dark caramel brown with a small, olive-tinged off-white head with some big bubbles leading to a quick dissipation and a slight collar, leaving no lace.

Smell is deep, clean, slightly maltiness, shoe leather, a hint of lime juice. A bit of rum as well, the caramel and vanilla notes.

Taste is pretty good, classic scotch ale, a bit more bitterness perhaps then usual, with a nice earthiness, tobacco and leather. Fairly abrupt finish though, just a hint of lingering phenolic malt.

Mouthfeel is fairly dry, with a medium body.

Drinkability is pretty good, a dry, earthy scotch ale. I'd like a bit deeper, more supple maltiness, but that's a matter of taste, not execution.

ccrida, Mar 16, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a thin dark brown with a very red tint when held to the light. Head is off-white and dissipates quickly.
S: very malty, sweet caramel, light roast and a hint of smoke in the middle.
T: flavor is malt forward with some persistent residual sweetness. A little bit of spice hits you up front and the finish almost seems fruity. Last kick is of alcohol. I'm surprised this malt bomb doesn't cover the booze up a bit more granted it is 8.8%. I know this has brown sugar in it so that might be it. Not very complex however, just middle of the road malt flavor.
M/D: crisp carbonation but far too boozy to enjoy more than one. A barrel aged version might be cool, where the heat might be more acceptable. I'm not going to let this one warm up too much for that very reason.

Brewbro000, Mar 15, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

First Scotch Ale, received from a friend in SD.

A-Pours brown, with a little bit of dark red permeating throughout the beer. Makes a mahogany color. Very little head that dissipates nearly immediately. Pretty good lacing.

S-Very malty aroma, almost reminds me of a brown ale. I get the hint of some nuts and even light overtones of mocha. Even with the malts, cant help hide the hops at the back end.

T-Malts taste wonderful and the beer covers up the ABV unbelievably. After smelling the beer, expected to get much more alcohol, but not the case. Also pretty sweet and as smooth as any beer I have ever had.

M-The beer is deceiving considering its alcohol content, you'd never guess it was nearly 9 percent. Extremely smooth, although not as much of a kick as I would have liked. Leaves you wanting more after every sip.

D-This beer is so smooth and tasty, you could sit and have multiple pours and continue wanting more if you didn't realize it was so potent. Can't say enough about this beer. Great collabo between some world class brewers.

kbrady9, Mar 15, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottle poured into my New Belgium globe

Dark brown with a small circle of off white head. Malt monster, sweet notes, caramel with maybe a touch of smoke a hint of booze as well. Sweet notes, a lot more smoke in the taste and some caramel and biscuity malts, not much flavor in the finish, some fruity notes. Mouthfeel is medium body with a normal amount of carbonation for the style.

Meh not as great as I was expecting. Really lacking in overall flavor. I dunno I guess I was expecting more considering who made this. I don't think I'd pick this up again.

jpmclaug, Mar 15, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: A nice dark ruby red color, very clear, a decent whitish head leaving no lacing.

Smell: Smokey malts with a nice earthiness to it

Taste: Smokey malts, really very malty. Earthiness, bread, hints of caramel. It has some sweetness with some rounding out bitterness. The abv is well hidden

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium body, thinner than expected, medium carbonation level.

Drinkability: Drinks easy, but not a chugger.

Overall, this was quite excellent, and I'm sad that, like Ommegang's Kup O'Kyndness, this is another excellent Scotch style ale that was limited production. Might have to go find more than just the two bottles I picked up. And, its also interesting to see something that Stone was involved in that isn't hoppy.

MadCat, Mar 14, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +18.5%

Had on tap at Stone's Winter Storm event. I'd like to mention that this was a collaboration beer with Pizza Port in Carlsbad and Green Flashing brewing co. in Vista (All by San Diego if you're not from around here). Sometimes a scotch ale can be a little too overwhelming for me, but this beer was so smooth! A must if you can get your hands on a bottle ($3 bucks for a 12 oz.- kinda pricey). I hope they keep brewing it instead of having it as a special session ale!

joshuasamantha, Mar 13, 2011

I found this one by accident. Didn't even know it was out, but when I saw it I thought it would be an appropriate pre-St. Patrick's Day Sunday afternoon drink. It pours a nice reddish-brown. Smells like your typical malty scotch ale. I'm usually a hophead, but lately I've been enjoying some smooth, malty brews. The taste is also malty with a little smokiness. There's a slight hop bitterness in the finish, I think. One thing I'm sure of: this is drinkable for a beer with almost 9% abv! I like when the brewers do these collaborations.

DrStiffington, Mar 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Saw this in my BevMo while making a beer run. WHAAA a collaboration beer with 3 of the best brewers in California (if not the nation). Had to give this a try.

Pours a clear brown ruby into my pint glass. Very little head/lacing, but I didn't pour very vigorously as I wasn't sure what to expect.

Malty yummy biscuityness on the nose. Ever so slightly roasty.

Taste is WOW. Super malty, with a great bittering backbone to balance it out. I was a little afraid this would be your typical stone/green flash Simcoe hopbomb, but there are none to the found! Albeit slightly bitter for the style, still absolutely delicious.

Malty goodness sticks around for a while. Medium thick mouthfeel with a healthy amount of carbonation.

Very drinkable. I think I paid around 2.99 for the single 12 oz. bottle, whcih comes out to over $18 for a proper 6 pack. Don't know if I would buy 6, but I'd happily buy another 2 or 3.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Mar 13, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have semi high hopes for this beer as most of the stuff stone does that is not its regular lineup has been crap lately.

No good VE since 08, no good Anniversay beer since 11, and no good collaboration since the coconut porter.

Nice pour. Mahogony type brown with a nice creamy head.

Some malty sweetness of a smell, nothing too extra ordinary.

A little more burning than I wanted. Probably alcohol and not hops though. Semi sticky sweet malts.

Not bad, probably will be better with some age on it. Jury is out on this one, at least its not terrible.

Murchmac, Mar 13, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Deep ruby caramel. Low head with about par retention.

S - Light vanilla, apple, caramel, and cinnamon with a malty backdrop.

T - Big malt. Pumpernickel bread. Warm booze. Hazelnut. Tart blackberry, cinnamon, and oak. Earthy on the backend with some herby basil notes.

M - Med-light body with a sweet finish.

D - Big flavors, but well balanced.

vfgccp, Mar 12, 2011
Green Flash / Pizza Port / Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale from Stone Brewing Co.